• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My thoughts on Brawl, *Caution, Wall of Text approaching*

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
*Caution: Wall ‘O’ Text approaching*

Ok, so here is a quick summary of my post: Melee is a better game then Brawl.
I know that there have been many topics created about this but I just wanted to give my two cents. I know a lot of people will probably say something like “But this isn’t Melee its Brawl get over it” but this is a comparison between the two to show why I think Melee is better…anyway enough of that, I’ll begin.

Myself and two friends imported brawl through play-asia, and received it last Friday, since then we have been playing it almost non-stop. Now me and one of the other guys were two of the most prominent players in Sydney for Melee, we played each other at least twice a week and we both reached a level of skill and understanding that was quite high (however compared to the majority of Smashers all around the world Australia is a bit behind in those terms). Anyway, so we were incredibly excited about playing Brawl and play we did when we received it.

However, after this week of playing, choosing characters which we both liked and thought were good enough to be considered competitive, both of us began to see the shortcomings of brawl, and both of us began to reach a conclusion that this game was purposely created to be a more noob friendly version of Smash, but that’s another discussion for later. What we did see from playing though, is that a lot of things that made melee an incredibly deep, complex and fantastic game were now gone:

First and foremost would be lack of l-cancelling: L-Cancelling was something that made Melee a game that was incredibly hard to master, it created many, many different levels of skill and, if done correctly, allowed for some of the smoothest gameplay I’ve ever come across in my time as a gamer. Sure the removal of l-cancelling “evened up the playing field” as I heard a lot of people putting it, and now people who didn’t have fast enough hands, or couldn’t get the timing down can now play and not worry about it. But once again the removal of this technique in brawl creates a lot less depth and skill for this game.

Secondly, wavedashing, and dash dancing, the backbone behind mind games. Ok sure the two of these, wavedashing more so, were glitches that could be used to cancel your dash animation, but can you deny how much better it made Melee? A really big thing about brawl for me is the fact that you are now very limited in terms of mind games. The speed of melee coupled with these two techniques allowed the game to be incredibly fast paced, one example is dashing in and out, trying to psych your opponent out into whiffing so you could then punish them to your liking, but there are many, many other applications for this. In brawl however, I feel limited, no longer can I fake out an approach as easily, most of this will have to be done in the air, but it’s pretty limited in comparison to all one could do in Melee. Once again the removal of both of these and even the inclusion of tripping (which has a random chance of happening every time you start a dash) has taken away something that made Smash so fast paced, intense and skill based.

The speed in which brawl is played is also something in comparison to melee that is lacking; Melee was lightning fast, you stopped paying attention for a split second and you got pretty owned, it always kept you on your toes, now Brawl is…well some characters are fast, Sheik and Marth still seem to have their melee speeds and we all know how fast Sonic runs. The lack of L-cancelling, added floatyness, no dash dancing or wavedashing, have all slowed the game down quite substantially, sure I would say that a good deal of characters have fast moves that can be done in rapid succession, but many of these don’t combo into others, or lead to a killing blow. Speaking of which, comboing is incredibly hard now, mainly because characters just get thrown to far back to be able to reach with any aerials so the most you will get is two or three hits in a combo before the person has either jumped out our simply DI-ed away. Gone are the speedy 70% fox, sheik and marth combos, which though could be considered cheap, still did require a lot of skill to perform, that is, to mind game your opponent into it and the first place, then to follow up with the rest of your moves.

Gone is the techchasing of old, as Sakurai has stated, the tech isn’t as useful anymore, and it’s the truth, most of the time you actually shake out of a hit before you reach the ground or even airdodge in the anticipation of teching. Almost every grab throws you high above, removing the techchasing grab game of Melee. Not only this but the over all speed of the game has really been lowered with the fact that characters just don’t die. Edge guarding, is much harder to do, due to the sticky hands of every character, the most you can hope for is trying to gimp their recovery, before they reach the stage, even then however, a lot of characters can still get back as the amount of hit stun is almost non-existent. Thus Brawl lacks greatly in the speed department in comparison to Melee, and it really was the speed that made the game so great in the first place.

Now after complaining about it, I will say this: Brawl is still a fun game. Don’t get me wrong, I still have fun playing it with my friends, I would probably think it was the best game ever, had I never played Melee. However, I do not see this game reaching the competitive level of Melee, nor do I see it lasting as long as Melee did, it just lacks the amount of depth the made Melee so fun for so long.

As for people who are going to flame me I don’t mind if you have played the game, everyone is entitled to their own opinion however, and I don’t mean to sound like an elitist, but if you haven’t played Brawl, don’t even bother posting any criticism, you know nothing, be quiet, watching vids online is not enough to warrant you knowing anything about this topic.

Also I’m sure there is a mass of grammatical and spelling mistakes, but I really cant be bothered to go through and change every little detail, I just hope its coherent enough to get my point across. But yeah…end post.

Kulla

iron blade

Smash Ace
Melee is a better game then Brawl
It's been out only two weeks.

wavedashing, and dash dancing,
They're not in. Get over it.

I'm sick of seeing threads saying Brawl sucks or Melee is better. TC has some good points, but I still strongly disagree. If you like Melee and its ATs so much, go play it. Like I said before, it's been two weeks.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Another inadaptable grump *****ing about removed ATs? And here I was thinking we'd reached our weekly quota of those.

Ok, so here is a quick summary of my post: Melee is a better game then Brawl.
Then go back to playing it.

The speed in which brawl is played is also something in comparison to melee that is lacking

See where it says Speed? Yeah. Have fun.

Now after complaining about it, I will say this: Brawl is still a fun game.
Then stop whining and go play. At least you have the option.

B J

Smash Cadet
brawl is a better game in some ways that melee just can't compete in. and vice versa, even though in my opinion, melee was only better in aspect that it was faster, which is could be arguable that speed is better.

Krimtcw

Smash Rookie
I think I'm able to say look how long it took for melee to develop into what it is today... and like iron blade has said its only been 2 weeks.

Maybe you started melee late so you could jump right into it and go and find these adv techs online, but if you didn't you should know it took awhile to find them.

You might be right and brawl might not equal out to melee, but after 2 weeks of play where as melee you could have several years under your belt I think that its a bit early to judge just how deep this game is.

In order to fully understand the advanced, you need to understand the basics.

Give it a year or 2, then come back and make this topic again, we will see how much has changed.

(I dont know why but it seems so many people fear change so much. -_-)

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
I hated Melee for a good week or so because I thought it was too fast and difficult to control compared to the N64 game. Then for the next six years and two months afterward, I loved it. Maybe a similar kind of thing will happen for you with Brawl, maybe not, but it's too early to call either way.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
No worries, Kulla. I think that the new features in Brawl was meant to even out all of the characters, not kill competitive play.

I've got (and played) the game, so I can agree with you on many of your woes and qualms about Brawl. However, I still hold the belief that once we all start playing, competitive play will definitely be much higher than in Melee, simply because all of the characters are good.

Think about it. In Melee, you could go to a tournament and expect half of the professional players there to be maining Falco/Fox/Marth. Within a year of playing Brawl, you can go to a tournament and expect to see expert DK, Pikachu, Ness, Marth, Falco, Link, and Wario players. It adds diversity to the competitive game, meaning that you are nearly forced to master all of the Brawl characters before you can even begin to play competitively. Heck, once you finally do master all of them, I believe you'll realize that it'll be difficult to play against professional *anything*'s, once again raising the bar on the competitive level.

I hope I've changed your mind a bit ;)

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
ugh dont matter to me i never played melee and as you said "if i hadnt played melee i would prolly thinks its the best game in the world"

User33

Smash Journeyman
Close this garbage thread. We already have 200 other threads where tournyf@gs cry their eyes out.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Now I don't have Brawl so I can't say that it is a great competitive game. I can't say that there are tons of combo opportunities. Maybe Brawl won't be as deep as Melee, but I am pretty sure all of the advanced techniques that made Melee so deep, were not found in the first three weeks. Maybe after two years we can say for sure.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Simple answer:

It's a different game, there will be different techs. You expected melee 2.0. You don't have to get over it, just give it time.

Hopefully that should help.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Simple answer:

It's a different game, there will be different techs. You expected melee 2.0. You don't have to get over it, just give it time.

Hopefully that should help.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
The first two responses to this thread sound incredibly childish. You two may have read it differently, but I saw no "whining" and I also didn't think that he said anywhere in the post that he wouldn't "get over it." If he thinks that Melee is a better game because of the speed, BIG DEAL! He wasn't whining, he was EXPLAINING HIMSELF and his complaints about the new game engine. There is a BIG difference. Nowhere in his post did he say "Brawl sucks" or "I'm not going to play Brawl because Melee is superior." He said Brawl was FUN. So stop jumping all over him like children because you think he fits in your stereotypcial "Brawl-hater" mold. If you were as good at tech as he was you'd be complaining about how Brawl seems confining and/or shallow too. The funny thing is that I'd still put my money on him beating either of you in Brawl.

funnyfaceju

Smash Cadet
kevkid, are u a ******. he wants a melee 2.0 and is basically whining about it and is trying to cover it up with removals and stuff. also, he should just go play melee and actually wait the time before saying the things he did. so you and the op fail

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Speed doesn't really matter to me that much. Actually, I felt that Melee was just a tad too fast for me, and Smash 64 a tad too slow. Brawl is in the middle point, so it's perfect for me.

To each his/her own. brawl's too slow for you, Melee's too fast for me.

rAmen

Edit: funnyface, you are the peak of irony.

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
The way that everyone of these complaint threads fails is that it is comparing the meta-game of Melee, a six year old game, to that of Brawl, which is two weeks old and most of the community still hasn't played.

Two weeks after the release of Melee no one knew about Wavedashing (and wouldn't for another couple years) or had studied and understood the uses of l-canceling or dash dancing.

Melee as it's played right now is deeper than Brawl, however I feel that six years from now Brawl's meta-game will be more complex than Melee's is right now.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
kevkid, are u a ******. he wants a melee 2.0 and is basically whining about it and is trying to cover it up with removals and stuff. also, he should just go play melee and actually wait the time before saying the things he did. so you and the op fail

Let's see... I see a flame in the first sentence, fallacies and assumptions in the second sentence, and a half-baked solution (could be a flame) in the third sentence. Oh, and the last sentence was a small flame.

Guys, really? Is this necessary? The guy is allowed to give his opinions... I don't care if there are 100 threads about how Brawl isn't as good as Melee, at least this guy gives reasonable points which cannot be argued.

It is true that the OP seems to have been expecting Melee 2.0, but with a little comfort and influence, the rest of us competitive players may be able to eventually change his mind. Flaming is completely unnecessary here.

NintendoGamer88

Smash Cadet

This user pretty much sums up my thoughts.

If you're entire copmlaint with Brawl can be summed up by "it's too n00b friendly" and "they removed a few adv techs", you are COMPLETELY missing the point of Brawl.

Spoiler alert: Brawl is a new game.

That means Nintendo and Game Arts have rebuilt this game from the ground up, and changing the physics system. Naturally, when you change the very physics of a game, things will get lost in translation. Sakurai wanted to beef the aerial game, so he changed the way aerial dodging works and the amount of lag these attacks have. Uh oh, that gets rid of WDing and L-Cancelling. Who cares about the physics of running back and forth quickly? Uh oh, whatever portions of the physics that enabled DDing have been re-written.

You want to know what's really up here? Brawl has a different metagame and different techniques from Melee. And it sounds like you expected them to copy and paste Melee and add in a few characters.

P.S. You could have not know who Mario is and figure out that this franchise would change from Melee to Brawl. It happens to every franchise EVER. They change. You get over it.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mindgames for Melee didn't develop in two weeks, it took us TWO YEARS TO FIND WAVEDASHING! IT TOOK US LONGER TO FIND L-CANCELLING! Dash Dancing was found around the same time.

You've had the game for two weeks. You know AT MOST 2% of the Brawl overall meta-game, and less for each character, and their move prireities. The other 98% will come in time, training, patience, and experimenting. Stop judging the game so fast, and give it SOME TIME!

People said the same thing about Melee. Get over it, and TRY TO FIND NEW TECHS, NOT OLD, TRASHED ONES! In a year, anyone who has Brawl's skill level now will look VERY n00bish, seriously. Tis' a new game, and you BETTER get used to it! >_<

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
This user pretty much sums up my thoughts.

If you're entire copmlaint with Brawl can be summed up by "it's too n00b friendly" and "they removed a few adv techs", you are COMPLETELY missing the point of Brawl.

Spoiler alert: Brawl is a new game.

That means Nintendo and Game Arts have rebuilt this game from the ground up, and changing the physics system. Naturally, when you change the very physics of a game, things will get lost in translation. Sakurai wanted to beef the aerial game, so he changed the way aerial dodging works and the amount of lag these attacks have. Uh oh, that gets rid of WDing and L-Cancelling. Who cares about the physics of running back and forth quickly? Uh oh, whatever portions of the physics that enabled DDing have been re-written.

You want to know what's really up here? Brawl has a different metagame and different techniques from Melee. And it sounds like you expected them to copy and paste Melee and add in a few characters.

P.S. You could have not know who Mario is and figure out that this franchise would change from Melee to Brawl. It happens to every franchise EVER. They change. You get over it.

This entire post could have been written without the sarcastic remarks, flames, and large text, and it would have been fine. Calm down.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
If he wants Melee 2.0, oh well, it's his opinion. I love how half the people on these forums are constantly trying to convince people that their own personal opinions regarding the game are wrong. Heck, even I don't agree with him. I'd say the game still needs time to be fully understood. But am I going to flame him because he doesn't think Brawl will ever be as fast and deep as Melee? No! Because he could end up being right! The game might have a ton of stuff yet to discover. But.... it might not. All I'm saying is that he's entitled to his opinion just like everyone else here and it's stupid for people to try and convince him he is wrong when they have NO IDEA how deep the game is.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
Mindgames for Melee didn't develop in two weeks, it took us TWO YEARS TO FIND WAVEDASHING! IT TOOK US LONGER TO FIND L-CANCELLING! Dash Dancing was found around the same time.

You've had the game for two weeks. You know AT MOST 2% of the Brawl overall meta-game, and less for each character, and their move prireities. The other 98% will come in time, training, patience, and experimenting. Stop judging the game so fast, and give it SOME TIME!

People said the same thing about Melee. Get over it, and TRY TO FIND NEW TECHS, NOT OLD, TRASHED ONES! In a year, anyone who has Brawl's skill level now will look VERY n00bish, seriously. Tis' a new game, and you BETTER get used to it! >_<

This entire post could have been written without the sarcastic remarks, flames, and large text, and it would have been fine. Calm down.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
If he wants Melee 2.0, oh well, it's his opinion. I love how half the people on these forums are constantly trying to convince people that their own personal opinions regarding the game are wrong. Heck, even I don't agree with him. I'd say the game still needs time to be fully understood. But am I going to flame him because he doesn't think Brawl will ever be as fast and deep as Melee? No! Because he could end up being right! The game might have a ton of stuff yet to discover. But.... it might not. All I'm saying is that he's entitled to his opinion just like everyone else here and it's stupid for people to try and convince him he is wrong when they have NO IDEA how deep the game is.

Look! Somebody who understands how forum posting works!!!

sv3

Smash Apprentice
The problem with this thread is that the topic creator doesn't have the vision to see a developing metagame, and is just one of the many people who have jumped into Melee's metagame after it was largely developed. I doubt he has any prior experience with competitive fighting games.

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman

Another inadaptable grump *****ing about removed ATs? And here I was thinking we'd reached our weekly quota of those.

Then go back to playing it.

See where it says Speed? Yeah. Have fun.

Then stop whining and go play. At least you have the option.
another beeeeotch who just wants a melee 2.0
Close this garbage thread. We already have 200 other threads where tournyf@gs cry their eyes out.
nobody gives a ****
All of these people need to actually read the post. There was no whining. They all must be straight imports from GameFAQs.

Yes, having more depth with ATs kept the competitive scenes longevity, but I know that before I knew advanced techniques, SSBM was one of my favorite games to play any time. I know a heck of a lot of people who still play Melee with no knowledge of advanced techniques (notice all the people calling others tourney***s) , and Brawl will be just as or longer lasting than Melee because of things like the stage builder, and online play.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Guys, really? Is this necessary? The guy is allowed to give his opinions... I don't care if there are 100 threads about how Brawl isn't as good as Melee, at least this guy gives reasonable points which cannot be argued.
Exactly my point. It's an OPINION. Once you guys all know everything about the game feel free to tell him he's wrong. As for now though you know as little as (or probably less than) he does. No one here can say they know how deep Brawl is.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is a new game, but Melee might just be better. If you don't know anything about competitive play than don't comment either. Those advanced techniques and speed made for some intense matches. Speed increases unpredictability, slowing it down makes too many moves just completely useless against anyone who isn't completely ********. Advanced techniques increase mindgames, etc. etc.

If you complain hes spamming up the board, you can just go away. The internet takes away your individuality, but not your usefulness.

I'm giving the game a fair chance, but stop ****ting on someone just because they actually decide to criticize the game.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
Ugh. I am so tired of the flood of people who are ignorant, abusive and worst of all just out right disrespectful to people giving their opinion. This guy thinks brawl feels too slow. Guess what everyone, when you get your hands on the game, you might feel the same way. And anyone who doesn't know the AT's of melee other than by name and are heralding their removal needs to understand that their removal isn't hurting them. They enjoy smash as is with no further depth. But for the people who knew how to do all the AT's and incorporate them into their game, its hurting us. You don't care that wavedashing is out and L-cancelling because you don't understand how much they can bring to the game.

NintendoGamer88

Smash Cadet
Of course! You copy and pasting that remark has opened my eyes! We should all love each other, hold hands, and start singing "Kumbayah" while the birds chirp and the forest creatures frolic in a land of green meadows, sunny days, and pretty rainbows.[/sarcasm]

I hate to destroy your fantasy world, but people are going to disagree about things. Frequently. Especially on the internet. And when people see the same asinine argument made with the same "proof" literally hundreds of times, it begins to grind on one's nerves.

What the TC has done (as all similar TCs before him and future TCs to come) is make an idiotic complaint then hide behind the shield of an opinion. It is comprabable to saying Super Mario 64 is a terrible game after only earning 1 star because they added wall-jumping but took out Koopalings as bosses. The new content in Brawl that we have seen thus far drastically changes how the game is going to be played (spamming a KO move is useless now). The removal of old content (various advanced techniques), while very noticable at first, will go unnoticed once we have been able to find and determine the new content which replaces it.

I really don't think you've seen the light yet: Melee and Brawl are obviously two different games. Tactics from Melee won't always work in Brawl. That's the bottom line.
It can be competitive brawl or you can play Melee 2.0 and be unsatisfied. Your choice.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Why be so **** confident about the game? If your going to just say something will "replace" what Brawl removed then why even bother bashing someone whos only criticizing whats here and now? You not only sound like you're being annoyed for all the wrong reasons, but you're getting defensive about something in an annoying way. I don't see how he was idiotic at all with his reasons. Whether its been mentioned in other topics shouldn't matter.

Not only that, but people who say he's making these assumptions without playing all the game has to offer are assuming TC is dumb, which is arrogant and smug.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
Of course! You copy and pasting that remark has opened my eyes! We should all love each other, hold hands, and start singing "Kumbayah" while the birds chirp and the forest creatures frolic in a land of green meadows, sunny days, and pretty rainbows.[/sarcasm]

I hate to destroy your fantasy world, but people are going to disagree about things. Frequently. Especially on the internet. And when people see the same asinine argument made with the same "proof" literally hundreds of times, it begins to grind on one's nerves.

What the TC has done (as all similar TCs before him and future TCs to come) is make an idiotic complaint then hide behind the shield of an opinion. It is comprabable to saying Super Mario 64 is a terrible game after only earning 1 star because they added wall-jumping but took out Koopalings as bosses. The new content in Brawl that we have seen thus far drastically changes how the game is going to be played (spamming a KO move is useless now). The removal of old content (various advanced techniques), while very noticable at first, will go unnoticed once we have been able to find and determine the new content which replaces it.

...get the point yet? I'm not saying that nobody is going to disagree with others, I'm saying that you can post your disagreement without the flames.

Top Bottom