• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My thoughts on Brawl, *Caution, Wall of Text approaching*

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Ive had enough of these whining threads. People who want Melee 2.0, stop hounding the brawl boards and go play Melee. We arent stoping you.

He's not whining, he's voicing his opinion. He never said he was mad because he didn't get Melee 2.0, and he's not hurting this board. If he was, wouldn't this be locked by now? People who hate these threads and it's contents, ignore them when you see them and stop posting in them. We're not stopping you.

The extreme floatiness and slower speed is meant to and does even out most of the characters... hell, even Bowser is awesome now.

Not all that true. Speeding the slow characters up and improvement would also "balance" them just like slowing the fast ones down and other nerfing would have. This way only relieves some stress of learning it all in complexities (which was actually encouraging as well), possibly.

Personally, I hated some of the ATs in Melee, and Ill be glad to see the day when I dont have to worry about l canceling anymore, and getting out of the habit of pushing l every time I land will feel sooo good. Wavedashing is gone too.. happy day, thats another weight off my back.
Personally? Weight off 'my' back?
NO. You're arguing the greatness of the game by saying to YOU it's good. Now of course everything you argue is usually YOUR opinion, you're basing Brawl's greatness off of the fact that is helps you and your playing habits. Your struggles, your difficulties. Kind of hard to explain, but your post doesn't do much good to others who share your views but not your struggles. Every person who's happy w/o a tech-heavy smash may not agree with you because you used... ugh too difficult to explain. =_=
I have it all right in my head but through typing it's hard to get out.

Anyways and also, you can easily play Melee w/o AT's. We're not stopping you. If you hated the AT's, we're not stopping you.

Now, its just a game thats meant to be fun, where anybody can still become SOMEBODY.

Are you implying that Melee wasn't meant to be fun. "Melee was so and so... and NOW, smash is...so and so....meant to be fun.

Plus, this game has Olimar. And Diddy. Thus, it is better than Melee no matter what.

/thread.
I guess I'm suppose to lol now.

lol:bee:

thou hey. you have some points.
quit your winein'. we are all sorry that those things aren't in the game. YOU WILL ADAPT. tis all.

the above 2 = Not worthy of a response. But I will say that you can't make someone adapt to game's new style with the almighty magic of your words.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Ive had enough of these whining threads. People who want Melee 2.0, stop hounding the brawl boards and go play Melee. We arent stoping you.

The extreme floatiness and slower speed is meant to and does even out most of the characters... hell, even Bowser is awesome now.

Personally, I hated some of the ATs in Melee, and Ill be glad to see the day when I dont have to worry about l canceling anymore, and getting out of the habit of pushing l every time I land will feel sooo good. Wavedashing is gone too.. happy day, thats another weight off my back.

Now, its just a game thats meant to be fun, where anybody can still become SOMEBODY.

Plus, this game has Olimar. And Diddy. Thus, it is better than Melee no matter what.

/thread.
This really didn't prove anything other then what exactly I was referring to early with the lousy way of handling your issue. And really stop using Melee 2.0 from even an non-competitive player it's been way over used by this point.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I like to see both sides of the coin more then anything.
I applaud you for turning this thread into an interesting and somewhat productive one. It's too bad I missed out on most of this but now that I've caught up I must admit you are a sharp guy. If more people on here acted like you this would be a truly great forum.

Coherent expression of thought! What a novel concept!

Anyways here are my thoughts on the mastery concept that I saw was bouncing back and forth:

I don't believe in perfect mastery, simply because in a competitive environment such as Smash, the mastery ceiling is always shifting. You could be the greatest player the world has ever seen, but eventually people are going to challenge you. As the gap between you and the second best player diminishes, you have to be able to continually prove that you are still the best. Given enough time, even the best player in the world will be caught by the competition at some point. Once that happens, can you really be considered a true master anymore? I don't think so. Players might go through periods of mastery, but they by no means keep their mastery for all time after reaching that plateau once. The competition ALWAYS eventually catches up, and that's what keeps things interesting. Even if you are a master you have to keep proving it.

I believe that games like Smash are abandoned by players not when they master the game, but when they lose interest in the game. Whether you're the best in the world or the worst in the world, you only keep playing because the game interests you.

I hope that came out right. I'm very tired and I sort of dazed out at times while writing this, but I really wanted to say what was on my mind and actually take part in a constructive discussion. I may wake up tomorrow and have to alter some of the things I've said because I didn't express my thoughts correctly, but for now this is good.

AtomicBucket

Smash Rookie
That may be true, but I can tell you one thing.

Brawl matches are a heck of a lot more fun to watch than Melee matches, on account that everyone on the field doesn't looking like they're having seizures...

lengeta

Smash Ace
FYI, you can still dash-dance, it just needs to be done incredibly quick, or as a back-and-forth fox-trot.

I've yet to play Brawl with other "competitive" gamers, only my local friends (meaning mostly 4-ways with items, usually timed rather than stock), so I'm still a long ways from deciding if Melee is better, but I doubt it. I'll wait until I've at least been to numerous tournaments before I personally pass my final judgment on the game.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I applaud you for turning this thread into an interesting and somewhat productive one. It's too bad I missed out on most of this but now that I've caught up I must admit you are a sharp guy. If more people on here acted like you this would be a truly great forum.

Coherent expression of thought! What a novel concept!
Well, I appeariate the feedback either way :laugh:

Nazzul

Smash Rookie
The reason people are flaming this guy is because the subject "meele is better than brawl" Is over done. Please, the game the game isnt even out in america and you are already judging it. You dont know what AT are in this game. You may think that there are none but then you could very well be wrong. I do agree the boards are a little over flamitory but they do have a reason.

Marshie

Smash Apprentice
Just wait... the game is alot more fluid than melee, fighting seems more organized than before, we will get used to it soon

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
The OP doesn't think this game is as deep as Melee.

Let's just let that sink in, shall we?

Sometimes I can be a vewy vewy bad fwamer, but I'll hold my tongue; OP just hasn't played the game for 6 years, that's all.

trevbang

Smash Cadet
It seems to me all your complaints have to do with them fixing glitches. Generally fixing glitches is a good thing. As far as it being slower than melee I don't think that will affect mind games at all. If you think that being able to combo someone up to 70% for one mistake is a good thing I will have to that is the wrong outlook. As far as competitions go you will just have to overcome your difficulties. Or did you think that only a few people should be allowed to be good at the game. I am of the opinion that fast button pressing and exploiting glitches should not define good playing. If you are better than the other person you should be able to prove it despite changes in the game. It isn't like they gave something to n00bs and took something away from other people. Everyone will be playing the same game. You can't use the same strategies as melee? Then maybe you should come up with brawl strategies instead. Or you could just play melee forever, no one is stopping you. I personally am ready to move on.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure there are other people who feel the same way as you do. It might be a wrench to get used to the fact that the ATs are gone but as far as Ive seen, most people are happy for a new smash bros style of play. There will probably be people who still prefer melee and there will probably be some sort of melee competition around.

RetroRhythm

Smash Apprentice
All your points are forfeit.

TC, a game does not get competitive overnight.

Brawl has a new engine; it is not the same as Melee, hence why L-canceling and WD and all that other stuff is gone.

They didn't remove it; the ENGINE removed it.

You are jumping the gun, and I highly suggest you don't draw a conclusion so early on, especially considering that you will turn completely hypocritical if and when the game goes competitive.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Generally fixing glitches is a good thing.
It depends. In Street Fighter 2, there was a very significant glitch that allowed players to cancel the lag on some of their moves and hit the opponent before the hitstun wore off. This glitch is now known as 'comboing' because Capcom chose to embrace it, instead of removing it.
Just because something was unintended by the developer doesn't mean its bad.

COMMOFDOOM

Smash Apprentice
STOP! Lesson Time! *MC E squared*

If what you said was true, Melee wouldn't be alive at all today.
How often is it that when someone feels they've mastered the game, they say "alrighty then I'm done with this game, time to play another!"?

Not often.

Instead, wouldn't you wanna go out an kick non-masters' @$$3$? You're so good that no one can stop you, so go out and prove that. Fight everyone, and they'll start to become as good as you, and then you have better competition, thus you continue to strive for winning tourneys more and more.
If that was false, Melee would have a large amount of fail on the competitive scene unless no one ever felt "mastered".
---------------------------------------------------------

Also, to some others in this thread (not including the quoted): wtf is your problem? You tell him to quick whining about it and that he wants Melee 2.0...
Just like selective hearing, there's selective reading. You only see the bad in his post, and flame him for it. And then you say "he knew he would be flamedz so you can crawl back under ur hole and let us speek two n00b". JUST BECAUSE he expects flaming doesn't mean you should flame. =/
He never said he wanted Melee 2.0 and is now pissed because he didn't get it... quick generalizing and attacking, because if you haven't realized it by now, you're only making yourselves look ********. If that's fine by you then keep acting ********, but it's funny how you make others out as dumb when you're really throwing your inner-dumbness out and placing it on others.
No one has or can master Melee. Brawl doesn't even intend to allow players to become good. The intent of the game is that someone who picks up the game is as good as someone who's played it for 40000 years. The devs have said it themselves.

And yes people frequently quit games once there is nothing left for them to achieve.

Also anyone who's actually good at Melee only wanted Brawl to have the same depth it did. And we're all angered by the fact that at our current state of knowledge it's as deep as shaq fu.

otter

Smash Ace
Do you guys realize that you DO NOT have to stop playing Melee? In every other fighting game scene you just play the better game, not the newest one. Sure I'll get Brawl for the music and other fan service, but it sucks it's not the end of the world.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
please

No one has or can master Melee. Brawl doesn't even intend to allow players to become good. The intent of the game is that someone who picks up the game is as good as someone who's played it for 40000 years. The devs have said it themselves.

And yes people frequently quit games once there is nothing left for them to achieve.

Also anyone who's actually good at Melee only wanted Brawl to have the same depth it did. And we're all angered by the fact that at our current state of knowledge it's as deep as shaq fu.
Please. Brawl can not possibly be as bad as Shaq Fu.

I don't remember anything about devs saying the noobs could beat masters at the game. What I think they meant was that it was easy for any noob to pick up the controller and play decently.
Though one thing I remember clearly is that Sakurai himself said the game had more depth than melee (in the Iwata asks interview). In what exactly the game has more depth? I don't know, but Sakurai probably didn't tell that for no reason.

On the mastery point... Well, people get bored of something when they actually mastered it, but no one can say that he has mastered melee. That's why competitive people are still playing it.

Top Bottom