• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My theory on why Wolf made the cut

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
Well... Fox was top-tier in Melee! Sakurai probably noticed that a lot of people played as fox at tourneys and whatnot, and mistook all the people playing as him for series popularity.

(edit: What I mean is that the StarFox series isn't really one that needs many reps in the first place. That said, oh god yes Wolf is a much better choice than krystal.)

drengist

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai isn't ignorant. Tiers have nothing to do with this. Maybe Nintendo is planning to make a new Star Fox game in the future, and adding more reps is a good trick to promote the franchise.

Shuma

Smash Hero
If Sakurai added Wolf is because it's better to add a villain than a love interest.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
My Teory is that he's badass and better than Krystal.
Yes, I agree with you there. But StarFox isn't exactly a series that really needed more than one rep in the first place. There are only 5 games in the series (only two of which are even any good in my opinion) and has been on a downward slope since the 64 days. StarFox doesn't really compare to the other franchises ninty has going for itself, but I'm just thinking that Sakurai might've thought it was more popular than it actually is seeing that Fox was the most played character in Melee.
I have nothing against Wolf though, he does look pretty sweet.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Actually in the number one Japanese game site's poll, which Sakurai probably used, Wolf was in the top 10 for newcomer in Brawl. Everyone in this top 10 have been made in Brawl as playable, except Geno. Now Geno. Rumor was he was in and was that spot before the Random box took over. But Square Enix took him out due to conflicts in compromise. Anyway, with Wolf. Japan really likes him apparently. If only Sakurai took interest to take consideration from other parts of the world, we'd have a happier audience. Oh well. Maybe next time. As for now, I'm settled with this roster and I want to main Wolf and ROB
(aka The Ancient Minister).

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ridley is not playable and he was in the top 5. But well, he is IN.

Shuma

Smash Hero
My Personal teory is that since this is Sakurai's last Smash, he knows that after he is gone nintendo will add only the top whanted characters, leaving not so popular characters in the dust. And since he knows nintendo wouldn't take out characters. I guess he expects that once he is gone, nintend would add the fan favorites.

Ridley/Geno/Krystal etc etc.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
I am not sure how a 3rd StarFox character made it in the first place to be honest...

Really, Fox and Falco were more than enough.

Maybe Sakurai saw how the players like to play as Fox and Falco alot in Melee, and thought that "hey, StarFox is pretty popular in Smash, let's add another character from the series".

..or Sakurai is a StarFox fan who knows ^_^

volbound1700

Smash Master
Actually in the number one Japanese game site's poll, which Sakurai probably used, Wolf was in the top 10 for newcomer in Brawl. Everyone in this top 10 have been made in Brawl as playable, except Geno. Now Geno. Rumor was he was in and was that spot before the Random box took over. But Square Enix took him out due to conflicts in compromise. Anyway, with Wolf. Japan really likes him apparently. If only Sakurai took interest to take consideration from other parts of the world, we'd have a happier audience. Oh well. Maybe next time. As for now, I'm settled with this roster and I want to main Wolf and ROB (aka The Ancient Minister).
That is partially true about Geno. He never was in it, but there was an attempt to get him.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
the reason that wolf made it over krystal is because, though the world favoured Krystal, japan likes wolf, and sakurai has always kissed a** for japan despite america being the bigger market... that, and it's easier to make a clone than an oroginal character and he apparently got lazy

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, and I do believe I'm not, Wolf was a higher polled in both America and Japan than Wolf. He is just simply more popular than Krystal, and the game is about pleasing the fans, so that's what we got. Not to mention his desire for baddies.

Tournament play, tiers, or any other crap like that is entirely irrlevant to the choice of Star Fox getting a third rep and why it was Wolf over Krystal. Besides, Sakurai said it himself, he didn't make the game with the competitive scene in mind. That's what I've always said and it turns out I was right. People who play competitively tend to only think about what's best in terms of that. You have to think of the game in general.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Well, it was between Wolf and Krystal.

I would have been happy with either, but I'm really glad they went with Wolf.

Would a different Final Smash killed you Sakurai?

Relhots

Smash Lord
QFT! Exactly what I think

No, Wolf was not more popular than Krystal in America. She got more mentions than Wolf in Sakurai's Character Poll, and would've been a lot more unique with her battle staff. She could've been the first staff user in Smash Bros. history.

But even though I still have bitter feelings about both Falco and Wolf getting in over Krystal, that doesn't mean that Brawl won't be good. I just question why Sakurai seemed to give up on a lot of characters and keep some of them as clones. I will definitely be renting Brawl before I consider buying it now....
Dont Worry...Krystal will absolutely be in the next SSB game...Your talking like there wont ever be another SSB game.

Besides Who Else uses a staff...She will probably be the only staff user, with one of the most unique movesets in the games history.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
The reason Wolf was most likely in, is because he was requested for MELEE. Many of these newcomers (except for Olimar, Lucario and ROB) were highly anticipated wanted characters for Melee (Dedede, Wario, Diddy Kong, Red/PT). Melee was inevitably rushed, and Sakurai wanted to please the fans from Melee by adding those characters.

This is why I believe Brawl is Melee 2.0 NOW with Subspace Emissary and Online Mode!

Although, Wolf is awesome nonetheless ;)

PeteBeast

Smash Apprentice
Would of prefered Krystal over Wolf, but Wolf is a bad-*** and I'm a STarFox fanboy so don't complain.

Kronzo

Smash Apprentice
Wolf is just more of a fighter i guess. I am probably going to play falco more than him anyway.

Crescendolls

Smash Cadet
while I'm not thrilled or anything over Wolf, at least they didn't pick Slippy. I still think characters from other games deserve it, but oh well. I'm alright with the roster (not super satisfied, but it'll work)

ElFreakinCid

Smash Cadet
That's because Sakurai said that this was the last SSB game. A fourth SSB game will not happen! That's why I'm so pissed that Star Fox essentially got three clones....no offense
All he said is that it's his last game.

I'm sure we all know there will be another Smash Bros. someday. When this game ends up selling through the roof, it'll just be more motivation to make another one when the newest big system is released. And there will be a new system somewhat soon, because that's how the video game industry works--release the newest system as soon as every child has finally gotten the current one after much begging and whining. And when there is, there will be another Smash Bros., because it's a huge cash cow. Mario, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Metroid, Harvest Moon and Zelda have all been around for over 20 years, Kirby, Star Fox, Street Fighter, F-Zero, and Sonic for almost 20, and Pokemon, Soul Calibur, Tekken and Darkstalkers for just over 10, and they're all still very popular, so there's no reason to think Smash Bros. won't be the same. People will buy it no matter what because it's a recognizable name. And if the movie industry is any indication, they'll milk this series for every last dollar they can. It wouldn't matter if they hired ME as the next Smash Bros. director--names sell, and as long as there's Nintendo, there will be Smash Bros.

emb1234

Smash Apprentice
I actually think topic creator's theory is pretty much right. The dev team mistakes how much people play the character for that character/series being popular. This would also explain the exclusion of Mewtwo. It's also possible that they know about tiers and why people play who they do, and just decide that they should go with that regardless of the odd character choices it kinda makes for.

Also, Wolf is definitley cool in his own right. It sorta raised my eyebrow at first, but then I realized how awesome Wolf is. One has to think about who is in, and forgot about the hopefuls they had that aren't in.

mrpeach32

Smash Rookie
while I'm not thrilled or anything over Wolf, at least they didn't pick Slippy. I still think characters from other games deserve it, but oh well. I'm alright with the roster (not super satisfied, but it'll work)
Do a barrel roll! Slippy would have owned.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
I actually think topic creator's theory is pretty much right. The dev team mistakes how much people play the character for that character/series being popular. This would also explain the exclusion of Mewtwo. It's also possible that they know about tiers and why people play who they do, and just decide that they should go with that regardless of the odd character choices it kinda makes for.

Also, Wolf is definitley cool in his own right. It sorta raised my eyebrow at first, but then I realized how awesome Wolf is. One has to think about who is in, and forgot about the hopefuls they had that aren't in.
Right, and that's why G&W is still in, sure.

Top Bottom