• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My (somewhat old) Ike vids *updated*

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

Royta

Smash Journeyman
I only watched some of the video's since I am the most lazy person on earth =]
But i'll give you a quick run down on what I saw,

Even though it was an old video, you seemed quite addicted to the dash attack in the vs marth vid(s). Its an okay attack with a strangely large hitbox but still, you shouldn't spam it.
I also noticed that you hardly ever jabbed, let alone canceled it into other things such as smashes, grabs, more jabs etc. This is a good way to build damage, and you could have done a lot of damage to DDD by doing some simple jab combo's.

Also spacing with the Forward Air is your friend ;D.

Last but not least, as far as I know you can't spike someone with the DownTilt when they recover with their UpB. Atleast not with 90% of the cast (marth for example). You could have done it against DDD though when he tried to reach the edge with his jumps.

master the above and you'll kick my *** hardcore ;p so please don't ! =D
But in all seriousness you're doing nice, just more jabs jabs jabs jabs and Fair spacing and you'll fair well (pun intended).

Greetz,

Royta

EDIT: I really loved how you destroyed that Wolf, I hate laser campers when using Ike! Nice job^^

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Old vids are not, I'll take that advice and keep it in mind. Pretty silly not to.

I probably do tend to space with F-air plenty more although I was told once that I shouldn't spam it. As for jabs... probably not as much as I should, especially when jab canceling into something other jabs.

As for the Dash Attack, it just seems so quick, it's like, why should I NOT spam this? XD

EDIT: Oh, about the D-tilt, you CAN spike them out of their Up-B, it just takes some good timing because you have to do it before they sweetspot the ledge. I did it to TRA (the Marth player) once, and it was so awesome I wanted to do it again ever since. :laugh:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
^Back then he wasn't, but after loads of training with me and reading the Marth boards, he's a lot better.

Whenever he stops being busy/lazy and plays with me, I'll upload recent matches between him and me.

Royta

Smash Journeyman
I spammed F-air alot too when I found out it made my character 'space better' xD
It's best not to totally spam it but to use it as an approach or retreating move.

The dash attack is more of a surprise move since its range is quite..well...surprising. People will usually not shield since they think that'll miss, but the range on that attack is GINORMOUS ( yeah.. I made that word up:p).

You can overspam moves, but never the Jab, the jab is god...we worship the Jab here <holds picture of the jab> Okay now I'm going out of line but you get the general idea ;p
Too bad you only live like.. 100000000 miles away from me, or we could do an online match xD

I look forward to the new vids ^^

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
You fell into (just a couple times) what my group has called the 'Nolan Mistake', which is rolling toward your opponent as they are ready for an attack. You didn't seem to get punished for it (I only watched the offline videos, because online is lulz), but it's still something you should try to avoid.

Same as before, more jabs, space the fair, maybe a little more nair approaches. Also, you liked F Smash a lot. That's fine every now and again, but you should really avoid it, it's satisfying yes, but not always effective. I would also recommend replacing your down smashes with the (in my opinion) more useful upsmash. It reaches both sides of you and you can run into it, and if you can do it right pivot it to get more range with the run.

I saw that you also used down tilt to edgeguard. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone would disagree that a down tilt edgekill is awesome, but I would replace it with Neutral B to edgeguard. Just make sure to avoid the explosion at the end. I feel like Neutral B is more forgiving on the timing and the spacing than down tilt.

neon..?

Smash Journeyman
you REALLY should use jab more and less dash attack. and that marth isn't that good.. but you should post new vids.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Super bump!

Remember the new Marth vids you wanted? Here they are.

The only one I think you should take seriously is the first one. The rest I more or less get lazy with my spacing.

In any case. Critque if you want. This is mainly to show that TRA isn't a bad Marth.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
to much eruption against marth. It only works if he misses the sweet spot which shouldn't be happening. It would work best in lylat cruise or other stages with weird edges but it shouldn't have done so well in smashville.

Learn to speed hug you had plenty of opportunities to do it and Marth's up B is one of the easiest moves to do it against.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Yeah, I saw every opportunity, but I decide not to since he was trying to work on his ledge-hopping skills.

I'll keep your eruption advice in mind though.

Kirk

Smash Champion
*watches the 1st Marth rematch vid*

-WAY too much Fair. If you do it that much, you're just asking for a running powershield/spotdodge to punish. You're lucky he kept running into it as much as he did.

-No love for the jabs? I saw you do it like...once? I saw plenty of oppurtunity to punish out of your shield, but instead you opted to roll out of the way and go back to Fair spamming. It's best to try and see when you can punish your opponent and seize that oppurtunity. If you retreat all the time, you will lose out on some valueable damage racking.

-It was said already, but a bit too much eruption. There were times for edgehugging that could have netted you some kills. A note, if you do use eruption, try and alter your timing at the ledge. Instead of trying to hit him before he gets to the ledge, wait until his invincibility JUST runs out, or wait for a ledge attack, ledge hop, etc. Abuse that Super Armor. :D

Overall, you need to change it up a bit during the matchup. The majority of the time you were using Fair as a zoning tool, but this inherently limits your options and can leave you open for punishment. You don't have to be attacking the entire match. Faking out and examining your opponent can go a long way. Try more dashes and empty shorthops to trick up your opponent some. See how it works out for you. Just watch for the openings!

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Saw a lot of changes, good ones too;D

But try to keep the guessing game during the edge guard going, you saw TRA picking up and using his SideB in his recovery to trick your erruption and such ^^

Jab still needs work, but from what I know its dangerous against marth (upB seems to punish it hard from what I heard). So no complaints there.

Little big on the Fair side, but i've had that too ;p
I was like "I"M SPACING :O IT WORKS =D *is very proud*" and I proceded to spam it, try to mix it up ^^

You're vastly improving and I enjoyed watching the videos^^! Keep it up!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It would probably work on others, but I know my crew member. He knows how to DI and DS quick out of it.

Taking that chance is bad. Especially since his DS is almost always fresh, and he knows how to edgeguard me well.

If I jab cancel, I'd shield it so I can bait his DS. Otherwise jab cancelling is a bad idea overall.

Top Bottom