• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My silly Mario *Update 03/05/2009*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. zaf (Toon Link)

Have fun with it. The other matches that were recorded...well, the computer crashed :p

Update 9/10/2008:

Alright guys, here are a bunch of new vids of my Mario. Please, critique away. :)

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Fizzi (Snake) 1
ThatGuy (Mario vs. Fizzi (Snake) 2
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Fizzi (Snake) 3

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Kirt (Metaknight) 1
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Kirt (Metaknight) 2

***WARNING: LONG INTENSE MATCHES***
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. BentoBox (Peach) 1
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. BentoBox (Peach) 2

If you're in a hurry, my on-the-run suggestions are my matches against Fizzi #2 and #3.

Update 19/10/2008

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. "C"-let (Wolf)

Update 11/12/2008

Hi guys, a couple more matches for you. These are from a tournament which took place after a ladder season that spanned over 3 months (all offline of course). Basically the top 8 of the ladder were seeded into a final bracket. I came second :ohwell:. I played Wolf a lot but I have a few Mario matches if you feel like watching them. For all the matches from that tournament (or just the other ones with me :lick:) you can view them here.

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. WarranThad (DK) Round 1/2 (Loser's Finals)
ThatGuy (Wolf/Mario) vs. Fizzi (Snake) Grand Finals

Enjoy!

Update 29/01/2009

Alright, new videos from last night's tournament. 6 in all, hope you like them (I'll get Grand Finals recorded next week :lick:)! They're all relatively long so don't expect to watch these on the run.

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Sphyra (Lucario) 1
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Sphyra (Lucario) 2
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Sphyra (Lucario) 3

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Stef (Diddy) 1&2
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Stef (Diddy) 3

Winner's Finals were not recorded :urg:

Update 8/02/2009

More vids for you! All of these matches were held on Skyworld, because it's a legal stage in a tournament coming up and I don't want to be caught off guard. Sorry for the lack of variety regarding my opponents :p

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Kirt (Falco) 1
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Kirt (Falco) 2
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Kirt (Falco) 3
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Kirt (Falco) 4
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Kirt (Falco) 5

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. BentoBox (Peach)

Update 11/02/2009

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Cemo (G&W) 1
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Cemo (G&W) 2

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Stef (Diddy) 1
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Stef (Diddy) 2

Update 18/02/2009

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Kirt (Falco) 1
ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Kirt (Falco) 2

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Steb (Lucas) 1

Update 03/05/2009

ThatGuy (Mario) vs. Agora (Luigi) 1&2

More videos from that weekly can be found here (including HolyNightmare): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232152

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Being a TL main and a mario secondary that was a fun match to watch. Nice job making it hard for him to spam, and then making him use his hyphen smash way too much(you survived a lot longer than you should have because he spammed it). Watch out for zair, and just working on gimping a bit.

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
Not bad. i personally like the little fire ball game you were using.

Ismael

Smash Ace
Nice job staying away from Mario's A string combo and tilts against Toon Link. Seriously, he'll quickly slash you back almost instantly. Spamming fireballs from afar is good, throwing in smashes and whatnot in between. Never use a smash when TL is in a "standard" position, only when he's stunned with a fireball or in a falling state, since he's faster. Very nice.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Thanks for the compliments everyone. Are there any predictable patterns I should avoid?

I wish I had the other matches recorded. I had a hilarious 7 minute match against a really annoying Dedede.

I'll see about getting a G&W match going for you BOX7.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Awesome fireball game, but...what happened at 1:53?
Do you mean when he KO'd me with the Usmash? I don't know it just got stronger somehow :dizzy: I guess there's a sweetspot to it or something. It's aggravating when his kills at a much lower % than mine (especially when he's a little punk like Toon Link).

If you mean why I didn't just smack him in the air or something, either I had a bit of fireball lag going or I wanted to punish with a ground attack out of his Uair lag. Silly me.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I REAALLY like your Mario. Very smooth and you have so much control. The ONLY thing I would like to add is about your move selection. Sometimes you could've killed earlier or something if you had landed an Usmash or Fsmash instead of Bair OOS. Maybe it's just me tho.

Keep it up. Definitely excellent Mario.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
What a fast reply :chuckle:.

I've been working on Wolf recently for certain matchups that were bugging me, and it seems to be working well. But the real reason is because recording equipment was not brought to MTL Weeklies for about a month. :p

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
your mario is great. You play really defensively, and you obviously have great control over mario as far as controlling your arials and pacing. Nice fireball control and spam usage to hinder approaches and racking up damage, you didn't make it look too obvious you were going to throw a fireball. Also nice executing the rising tornado to eat up those shields.

It seems as if you do have a problem for KO'ing foes. Try keeping the usmash unstale, jab fakes into KO moves, etc....

Work on trying to gimp characters as well as setting up KO's to make matches easier for yourself, try working on using that fair effectively for meteors, FLUDD set ups, caping recoveries. Also its just like monk says, work on that recovery, mind your second jump most especially, for that second jump is essential for recovering. Work on workin the edge up, go for stage spikes.

I need to adopt some kind of defensive play style like yours, the way you play makes impossible match ups possible ie snake. All in all great mario, better than mine I think....

I think we should hold a ditto's tourney on the SWF, I definitely want to play against your mario, as well as other marios here. I'll be sure to hit you up with a PM later on if you want..

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Ah, that might be difficult. I don't own a Wii :dizzy:. I've never played online before either :p.

Yeah I was really having difficulty with the KO's, I only realize after that I almost never used my Usmash. It's so good :(.

bobson

Smash Lord
The only things I noticed were a lot of missed opportunities for shield grabs and your tendency to not punish with an fsmash even when you had the time and space for it. You also tend to kill your opponents outright rather than gimping them, and Mario has a tough time with straight kills. Otherwise, all good. I like your defensive play, and you did a great job de-spamming Toon Link. You've got potential.

Helpful tidbits: Up-B out of shield fixes many things. FLUDD camping Snakes offstage to put them in a tight spot. Cape Snake's mortar; it's always funny if they get hit by it. Don't bother caping Wolf's blaster, as it'll almost always be spaced just so that it disappears right before it hits Wolf, and you can be punished for it. DK hates fireballs.

Matt07

Smash Master
Tomorrow is my last day of school tomorrow (exams, done at around 11) and if I'm not busy tomorrow night I'll be watch it for sure :).

ThatGuy

Smash Master
For those it may concern, sorry about the stream guys. We had no access to the internet this time around so we weren't able to set up the stream. On the flip side, we recorded as many tournament matches as we could. I won the tournament (Well, winner on winner's bracket, then we had to split for time restraints :( ), so I'll have a bunch of vids for you all relatively soon.

Cheers!

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Shucks, no comments this time eh? ;_; I could use as much criticism as you guys can throw at me as I have a tournament coming up.

There will be a live stream tomorrow (I promise this time!) so check my sig for the link. It's a special format this time around so you'll probably see me get wasted.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I just made another new update. All the matches are on Skyworld because it's a legal stage in a tournament I'm attending soon, so I need to practice it. Any critique would be much appreciated.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Smashboards said:
Warning! The last reply to this thread was posted over two months ago. Please make sure you are not unnecessarily bumping this thread before replying.
Yowza! I've been real busy because college is finishing up for me, and life's been ripping me apart the past couple months. I got a video up of me from last Wednesday shaking off some rust. I'm terrible against Luigi so enjoy making fun of me. Cheers!

Matt07

Smash Master
About time ThatGuy :p.

I would watch it, if YouTube wasn't mad slow -_-.

Edit: Good matches ThatGuy, I think you could've been more aggresive versus Luigi however. You could see how impatient he was when you were at high %'s, your camping worked very well. So play aggresive at first, and when your at high %'s or stock lead camp him.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Yup. So, as per policy, this thread is closed.

I'll go ahead and port all of your videos into Monk's video thread though, ThatGuy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom