• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Melee Disc Is Scratched :(

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would suggest just having the disc repaired at a game shop. Most of the scratches you know are not deep enough to actually damage the disc's data layer, but the scratches will prevent the data from being able to be read clearly by the disc drive. Unless the scratch is REALLY deep, a replacement is unnecessary 99% of the time.

Blindman

Smash Journeyman
The fake OC, because I'm nothing like them.
I would suggest just having the disc repaired at a game shop. Most of the scratches you know are not deep enough to actually damage the disc's data layer, but the scratches will prevent the data from being able to be read clearly by the disc drive. Unless the scratch is REALLY deep, a replacement is unnecessary 99% of the time.
Any specific game shop that'll do that? I've never heard of that before. 0_0

K_to_the_Z

Smash Cadet
Dude DONT GO TO GAMESTOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just went there TODAY to buy a USED Smash Bros Melee... guess how much it was?!!? 26 FREAKIN DOLLARS!!!!! I got so mad, cause the nearest one was 30 minutes away and i figured since it was an old game it would be like 10-15 dollars, obviously wasn't...

iankobe

Smash Lord
Well, yeah, its SMASH. ONe of the best game ever. Can't get any cheaper. Maybe buy it from someone who owns it that doesnt play it. Or Ebay.

HumanIce

Smash Cadet
my one is also scratched, but still works, it happens few times that it says "disk cannot be read"

Mike2000

Smash Cadet
All I can say is try to find a cheap one at Gamestop or Ebgames.

It's weird cause my game has been scratched for nearly six years and I haven't even got a disk read error.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
How much would that kind of thing cost?

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
Well my copy always stops and says disk error when u pick a low tier character...

Its always good to buy smash NEW and not used cuz i noe i will be playin my smash forever.. but if your games gets that scratched that it doesnt work always go get one immidiatley.. and if they ask you if you want the warranty always get it!!!! in my life time i have went thru.... like 5 copys!

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
For the longest time, Wal-Mart sold new "Best Seller" copies for $29.99. I had to buy a new one once because I lost the ability watch the intro, play 1P, and view trophies. Not a biggie, but I was really dieing to play some adventure mode one day. lol

mood4food77

Smash Hero
haha, smash still $30, more expensive than some of the newer gc games

it's also the 3rd one ever released for it....

konoha107

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I would go with the game shop, there are machines that take scratches out, you could see if your local game store has one.
It's pretty cheap, I'm not sure how much but I saw a local commercail for a CD/game shop near me and it said "for a small fee".
Me Melee has been lightly scratched everywhere for a few years now, and I've only had the disk error screen once. Plus, it's never frozen on me.

AznxFighter

Smash Rookie
If your disk is scratched, all you need to do is rub TOOTHPASTE(yes toothpaste) all over the disk, then leave it out like 5 min. Once you do that, simply go to the sink and carefully rinse it out. If you dont believe check it out on youtube or w/e....there are tons of helpful tips.
Uhm.. well..thats what i do whenever my games are screwed up. It really works too :p

WestStar

Smash Cadet
Ask one of your friends who doesn't play much to "borrow" it. (True Story) I actually did this after my disc started giving me reading errors after every screen and never mentioned the game to the person I borrowed the disc from ever again.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The cost of repairing an optical disc never ran me any more than $5 per disc. Most music and game stores will offer such a service. The MSRP of SSBM is still $30 new, btw. It has been for quite a few years now. A used copy won't be much cheaper.

pchoo

Smash Cadet
Check ebay. I looked around, several listings closed in the $15-20 range... plus $3-5ish for shipping.

Blindman

Smash Journeyman
The fake OC, because I'm nothing like them.
If your disk is scratched, all you need to do is rub TOOTHPASTE(yes toothpaste) all over the disk, then leave it out like 5 min. Once you do that, simply go to the sink and carefully rinse it out. If you dont believe check it out on youtube or w/e....there are tons of helpful tips.
Uhm.. well..thats what i do whenever my games are screwed up. It really works too :p
I'll have to try that method. Thanks. ^_^

HumanIce

Smash Cadet
my one is also scratched, but still works, it happens few times that it says "disk cannot be read"
remember when I wrote that? NOW my disk is skratched to death.. I feel sooo lucky to have bought the final SSBM copy at the store 2 days ago.. I'd go crazy by now if I knew I didn't have another copy..

Top Bottom