• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Leave

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
nothin wrong with goin to the military my bro did it and i may have to do it if i dont do better this fall. great decision and i hope all goes well :)

Rayku

Smash Lord
I'm probably joining the Navy. I have a guy in my crew (work crew) who told me a lot of stuff he got from being in the Navy (he retired at 45. I don't plan on staying with it but we'll see what happens). It's also Mom's preferred option because I won't come back in a casket, she says.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Both my brother and father are currently in the military. It's not a bad life. My brother in particular is making fat stacks of cash. Go for it.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Rayku, you don't have to "come back in a casket" for any of the branches you choose.

See, you have two types of jobs. Jobs that deal with support, and aren't on the frontline of battle. They'll be out in the ships in the Ocean doing the technical work. Or in the air dealing with communications, etc.

Then you have infantry jobs, stuff like that. Those are the jobs you would have to worry about. Unless you choose a job that is frontline specific, you won't need to worry about a casket. :)

Army is the way to go!

Rayku

Smash Lord
@Mooney: Explain that to Mom and other people for me, please. I think it would be cool to go into the Marines, but if I did that now it'd probably demoralize me that I didn't do it when the recruiter called me.

I'm not interested in the Army :p

Rayku

Smash Lord
I just got let go from my job. I went to a tournament on Saturday and apparently that is a "Hell No" in their book. The only reason I'm annoyed is because I only had two hours available left to me to work, so I went. If I could have worked 5+ hours I would have definitely not gone. This on top of them ****ting on my hopes and dreams periodically for the past week

I'm just a little bit saddened by this

Saltix

Smash Lord
I just got let go from my job. I went to a tournament on Saturday and apparently that is a "Hell No" in their book. The only reason I'm annoyed is because I only had two hours available left to me to work, so I went. If I could have worked 5+ hours I would have definitely not gone. This on top of them ****ting on my hopes and dreams periodically for the past week

Sorry to hear this bro; keep your hopes up.

Zip.

Smash Lord

:(

i hope everything gets better for you, bro.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman

Things always get better in the end. Hang tough hermano.

Purple

Hi guys!

wait, I'm confused. What does the tournament have to do with your job?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Good luck with everything Rayku. It really sounds like you're handling this situation like a man.

Ironically, I'm currently trying to get a job as an AutoCAD (well, mainly AutoCAD.. other programs too) surveyor for a dredging company. I have a lot to learn, I really only have a shot since most of my family works for the company.

nevershootme

Smash Master
while you're in the service, it's best if u can play it safe by doing a support position than being on any battlefield. but as far as careers go post service, i've encountered a variety of folks at work who were in the military (serving in vietnam and returned in one piece) working as technicians on the production line or engineer roles.

so your milege may vary on what you really want to do in the long run. but while you're at it, u can get some certifications and such.

anyways, just ask me what u wanna do and i'll pitch u some career options, i'm an engineer anyways lol...

Rayku

Smash Lord
@ACE: That's actually what job my mom had when she lost it. Industry's tough these days

@nsm: I think I was going to aim for that, though I don't really have a set goal for where I end up. Wherever I get put is fine. I appreciate the offer, I might take you up on it eventually

Rayku

Smash Lord
Necro and double post:

I talked to an air force recruiter today. He said I can take my ASVAB test as early as the 28th, which is probably what I will be doing. If I do well enough and perform to certain standards, I will be put on a waiting list for 8-9 months, which is pretty nice because I'll be able to get a temporary job and help out my friend.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Necro and double post:

I talked to an air force recruiter today. He said I can take my ASVAB test as early as the 28th, which is probably what I will be doing. If I do well enough and perform to certain standards, I will be put on a waiting list for 8-9 months, which is pretty nice because I'll be able to get a temporary job and help out my friend.
awesomeness comrade. keep ya head

Rayku

Smash Lord
My ASVAB test is tomorrow! I'm going to be going somewhere (not sure where exactly) after I take a practice test with 3 other individuals around my age to go take the real thing. Afterwards, we'll all be going to a hotel for the evening, have dinner, and go to bed to wake up at 4 A.M. to get all of our physical stuff taken.

Afterwards I'll sign my soul away and be put on the waiting list.

Rayku

Smash Lord
I'm now sworn in as a member of the Air force DEP (Delayed Entry Program)

The main job I want is Space Systems Operations, which (der) has to do with space stuff. The other top 4 jobs I was aiming towards have to do with avionics, but I'll wait if I can get anything to do with Space.

It's not like I'm obsessed with it or anything, but I've always seen Space as an infinite learning engine so it's really appealing.

Top Bottom