• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My hands are killing me

SodaOD

Smash Rookie
Hello! I picked up smash a few days ago, and I'm determined to play this high level. I do stream, so that's probably an underlying reason for about four days I've played the game for 12+ hours a day and my knuckles and fingers are killing me.

Is this like playing guitar where it hurts so bad for a month then you get used to it, or is this weird?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Cut down your play time and take some breaks. 12 hours a day is a little much. If your hands start to hurt while playing stop playing

SodaOD

Smash Rookie
Cut down your play time and take some breaks. 12 hours a day is a little much. If your hands start to hurt while playing stop playing
Thanks, I should take more breaks. I should really structure it out. I get so.. tunnel vision.

Divine Rose

Smash Rookie
Thanks, I should take more breaks. I should really structure it out. I get so.. tunnel vision.
To be fair, it’s quite easy to get lost in the smash vortex, ahaha! Anyways, if you’re using the joycons, I think people sell accessories for them that make them fit more comfortably in your hand, if that’s the problem.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
As a melee player who has played ultimate I can say you're doing something wrong. Either you're holding the controller too tight, or something else. You want do to a few things.

1. You want all your hand motions with the controller to be as optimized as possible, no extra strain on the tendons, no needless exertion of force.
2. You want to do hand exercises, bend your hands back and forward, stretch your palm out etc.
3. As soon as you feel any hand pain at all you should stop and if possible put on a brace (it's like a glove with a metal rod in it that restricts hand/wrist movement). If you feel pain on a day where you don't play at all, you're not playing that day, you're wearing that brace and resting your hand and wrist.

If you want to keep playing for the rest of your life (like most melee players do, atleast) you gotta be careful and catch this when it starts. Is it overly cautious? Yeah, but we're trying to be preventative. Even at Smashfests you gotta remember people rotate out, people drive to restaurants to get some snacks, people have beers and laugh with eachother. 12 real active consecutive hours is a rarity.

SodaOD

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all advice. 12 hours is overkill and resting just today has helped. I also am using a pro controller so I'm not used to it yet. Thanks for kind words

SodaOD

Smash Rookie
12 ****ing hours a day? Do the math, dude.
I mean I've done physical labor longer than that and haven't had issues with my hands. I think its strain and excessive force and lack of water

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I would say that play 6 hours in a day is too much... you are playing 12 apparently for many days. This is not healthy, I mean, not only for the hands. Information is avaiable, there are cases of people that died for playing too much for days without stop, for many different reasons.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
If your hands are hurting take a break for a day or two, they should feel better by then. Fighting games require a lot of quick movements so it can be more stressful on your hands then other types of games.

GfkLucifer

Smash Rookie
Damn sounds like you’re white knuckling that controller haha, age may have a factor as well.

SodaOD

Smash Rookie
I would say that play 6 hours in a day is too much... you are playing 12 apparently for many days. This is not healthy, I mean, not only for the hands. Information is avaiable, there are cases of people that died for playing too much for days without stop, for many different reasons.

You can die from too much games? That's the dream right there

SodaOD

Smash Rookie
Damn sounds like you’re white knuckling that controller haha, age may have a factor as well.
I'm not old enough for that, but definitely something to consider. My hands are too big for pro controller honestly.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
12 hours is dumb long. If i had a job where i get paid playing smash for 12 hours id quit. I played games long times and never had hand problems. Sounds like underlying bone, ligament issue. Some type of bone or ligament weakness.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Wow respect. I couldn’t focus for 12 hours straight. Even the pros don’t stream this long if im not mistaken. Maybe cut it down to 6-8 and take breaks. That is probably still enough training.

Top Bottom