• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Experience with Toon Link

Jash

Smash Lord
Dear fellow Young Link mains,

I would like to start this by saying....1000 post yayz! I rulez....um............ehem.

I played Toon Link a lot in my buddies house, you might be angry about what your about to hear, or you might be glad like i am about what your about to hear. Ok here it goes. Toon Link is super different from Young Link. His arials are all different (not all of em but ill get to that) and there are a lot of things that are better and worse. Let me start with the bad ones. His projectiles don't suk, but there are no where as good as Young Links. Toon Link does not have the fire arrows and the arrows do not curve as much as they use to (that can be a good thing or bad thing, your choice). His Boomerang is ok, but it has no sweetspot attack anymore so....boooo lolz. and the worse for last....the Bombs. Its NO WHERE as good as Young Links. It hits basically like Links....yea. Toon Links Up B is STILL DIable, which means you can escape it.....*sigh*. But its chargeable....which i guess....makes it better:ohwell:. Thats the only news guys lolz, heres the good news IMO. When you use him the first time you will feel soooo different because hes Floaty. Im sure when you guys get use to that, you will love it. Toon Link is beastly fast, since the game has no L cancel, they designed SOME of the arials to have either less lag or no lag at all when they land. Now, to make things clear, the only arials that have lag from Toon Link is his Up air and Down air. Everything else has barely no lag when landed. His Bair is ridiculous, think of it as Marths Fair. His Fair is weird imo, its pretty slow compared to the rest but its strong when hit. Toon Links Nair is like Marths Nair, it hits twice but its kinda hard to make both of em hit. His Up air is the same, but strong as hell now, this is his new killing move in the air. His Dair is spikes now, but you cannot move over with it like you can with Young Link, it goes straight down so be careful trying to do that out of the stage. I say that Dair takes the most getting use to so far. Now his smash attacks. His Up smash is a one hit move now, IMO its "ok", the reason i like it now is because its not 3 weak hits that can easily be DIed. Its one good clean hit. His Fsmash is the same (let me finish, your going to love this). Now the biggest fail about Young Links Fsmash is that the first hit can be Crouch Canceled which makes the second hit hard to hit with because they can easily block it. Now in brawl...there is NO Crouch Cancel AND they made Toon Links second hit very strong. His Dsmash is like a weaker version of Ganons Dsmash in Melee. It hits the same way though. Toon Links tilts are faster. Dtilt is useful for pressure game now O.O;. Ftilt is disjointed. Uptilt is faster and good. His jab is broken, you can do a Samus jab cancel with him, but he only has the 3 hit in brawl and no sword stab combo thing. Now....i saved this for last because IMO this is the biggest best thing that Toon Link has that was terrible about Young Link (and i even made a thread about it too). His Hookshot.....is soooooooooooo much better. He shoots it out faster, they designed it that if the Hookshot touches no matter where your opponent is, its ganna grab, and i mean it. You can use it USEFULLY as an arial now, since when you land after the Hookshot, there is no lag. It has lag when you miss still, for those who expected it not to....i don't why you did lolz. Also, since you might know that Brawl has auto sweetspot, so does the hookshot. Now this is good and bad. This is good because even when your higher or lower then edge, IF it is in a suitable position where the hookshot will reach, then the hookshot will sweetspot the edge....no matter where you are. This is bad because if you don't grapple the edge....then you won't grapple anything.....which kinda suks IMO. But yea thats our new character, overall he is kick***. I think we will move up with this guy.

-RedShadow

Smash Ace
I know this question is kinda useless but I'm goona ask it anyway...

With T. Link's bombs, can you still bomb juggle with him? You know, catch the bomb in midair using Z? Since characters are so floaty now, it might open up possibilities for some interesting combos...

EDIT: lol scratch all that....it's possible:laugh:

Jash

Smash Lord
Actually thanks for this question, i also forgot to add something...ehem. I notice with Toon Link, that if you throw a Bomb, and your opponent blocks the Bomb and you attempt to catch it again, as soon as you catch it with A, you will do an arial. Pretty cool stuff IMO.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Thanks for the information, I´ve been wondering how T.Link and Y.Link are different. T.Link doesn´t sound bad at all, I might say. Faster tilts, stronger Uair... yes, sounds interesting. But apparently there´s gonna be a lot of practice to do before getting used to him. Especially with the projectile game...

D20

Smash Lord
Interestingly, I don't think I will be playing Toon Link at all. I picked up Pikachu, and I love the way he handles... not to mention his down taunt and blue goggles are top tier.

TheLake

Smash Master
Glad to see pichu finally grew up! Oh and im all over toon link this time around. His up taunt is so righteous!

Sy3

Smash Cadet
Wow, very nice description of toon link. =]
The way you put makes him sound like top tier quality.
And my experiences with TL is that, he's at least high tier.
Good luck everyone with toon link =]

rhan

Smash Hero
Personally I like Young Link better then Toon Link. Toon Link is too easy to use. I liked the challenge of playing has Young Link....T.T

Also Jash. Nice work on the above. And how is his Ftilt disjointed and how can the Dtilt be used as a sheild pressure? (I barely use those moves so yeah...<_< *Feels noobish*)

Jash

Smash Lord
Personally I like Young Link better then Toon Link. Toon Link is too easy to use. I liked the challenge of playing has Young Link....T.T

Also Jash. Nice work on the above. And how is his Ftilt disjointed and how can the Dtilt be used as a sheild pressure? (I barely use those moves so yeah...<_< *Feels noobish*)
Yea i quit Toon Link and went to Link. Toon Link "surprisingly" just got boring ya know? He was fun at first because he was like a brand new character, but....its like....i kept winning because of disjoints. So anyway im maining Link because hes the closest thing i got to Young Link in brawl.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I tried playing Toon Link to replace Young Link and I just felt that he was boring as HELL. I tried playing Link instead but he doesn't feel like Young Link although he's still fun. No one could ever replace Young Link. :( Even though I enjoyed WW more than MM... >.> <.<

Laijin

Smash Hero
I tried playing Toon Link to replace Young Link and I just felt that he was boring as HELL.
The entire game is boring.
Although Link is more like YL than TL is. Link actually manages to suck harder than YL did in melee. Infact. He manages to suck even harder than Pichu.
At least Pichu had combos and options.
TL feels like im playing brawl underwater and a ghey version of YL.

Top Bottom