• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Clever Title for a Wario Thread

Favorite Smash Bros Wario

• Brawl Wario

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Project M Wario

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Smash 4 Wario

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • I hate Wario

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
No, I say we base Wario entirely off of the character that inspired him, Booster. He'll ride a toy train instead of a bike, but he'll still fart.

I'm glad we can all agree that this is the best way to go.

Booster.

Did not.

Inspire.

Wario.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Case closed.

Edit: Well I did have 2 pictures on there, but this is funnier

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I am not at all interested in listening to any of these compromising proposals.

Wario needs, nay, deserves a full moveset based on Wario Land. Anything less is unacceptable.

Whatever happens to WarioWare Wario is not my concern.

Look, acting entitled to a different portrayal of a certain character is being unrealistic, selfish, and all in all makes you look like a brat.

I say this as someone who used to be insanely opposed to Ganondorf's portrayal a few years back.

You need to hear our compromises out. Not just because it's more realistic, but because Smash has generally done a good job of integrating various sources into one character when it cones to the Mario and extended Mario cast. If Peach can reference the sports titles and SMB2 at the same time, Wario can reference Land and Ware.

And really, the only crucial thing Wario needs from Land is his shoulder bash. Really, what else does he have in Land that can work as a moveset?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Lmao why even participate in a thread if you don't want discussion? If you just the want others to agree with your opinion or ti express yourself without question then start a blog or something, but there's literally 0 point to commenting '**** people who disagree with me I want mine and your opinions can die for all I care' other than belittle other people and aggrandize yourself. It doesn't introduce any discussion points, in fact it discourages discussion, so why post it on a discussion board? Seriously dude, it's just a waste of a perfectly good thread to wade through that ****. I know I said i was done beforehand but this is a new level of egotistical selfishness that you can't even deny

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I am not at all interested in listening to any of these compromising proposals.

Wario needs, nay, deserves a full moveset based on Wario Land. Anything less is unacceptable.

Whatever happens to WarioWare Wario is not my concern.
The whole purpose of making character threads is to openly discuss people's varying ideas. People are allowed to have different ideas, so try not to shut people down because they might have contrary ideas to your own.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think the disconnect here is PsychoJosh wanted this to be a newcomer thread while I made the veteran thread, and it got merged.

It's not his fault imo, because his intention for the thread was literally for a second Wario character based off of Wario Land Wario. Please keep that in mind when criticizing him.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I think the disconnect here is PsychoJosh wanted this to be a newcomer thread while I made the veteran thread, and it got merged.

It's not his fault imo, because his intention for the thread was literally for a second Wario character based off of Wario Land Wario. Please keep that in mind when criticizing him.
Except he still spent half of that thread diminishing any opinions other than his own, and actively saying that he wants current Wario gone. I criticized him before and now that he's turned it up to a new level I'm sure as hell going to criticize him again.

If he wants to discuss the possibility of a second Wario, or wants to discuss the intricacies of how a Wario Land moveset can work and what he'd like implemented then nobody here has any problems with him doing that.

But literally saying 'I don't care about your opinions if you're not agreeing with me, and I have no sympathy for you if a character you like gets cut' is just being a **** for no reason, because there's literally no reason to even post it since it's anti-discussion, and I do believe the forum is called:

Veteran Characters
Discussion of veteran and returning characters.

Even if it was in the old section, I don't believe there's any references to cutting, or grandstanding in:

Newcomer Speculation
Speculate on your character hopes and dreams for Smash Switch

He has a different opinion, and is passionate about wanting a separate representation for Wario Land. That's fine. He can do that without doing what he's doing.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Except he still spent half of that thread diminishing any opinions other than his own, and actively saying that he wants current Wario gone. I criticized him before and now that he's turned it up to a new level I'm sure as hell going to criticize him again.

If he wants to discuss the possibility of a second Wario, or wants to discuss the intricacies of how a Wario Land moveset can work and what he'd like implemented then nobody here has any problems with him doing that.

But literally saying 'I don't care about your opinions if you're not agreeing with me, and I have no sympathy for you if a character you like gets cut' is just being a **** for no reason, because there's literally no reason to even post it since it's anti-discussion, and I do believe the forum is called:

Veteran Characters
Discussion of veteran and returning characters.

Even if it was in the old section, I don't believe there's any references to cutting, or grandstanding in:

Newcomer Speculation
Speculate on your character hopes and dreams for Smash Switch

He has a different opinion, and is passionate about wanting a separate representation for Wario Land. That's fine. He can do that without doing what he's doing.
Once again, he had his topic in Newcomers before being moved. It's clear what his discussion was supposed to be about. I'm not excusing his behavior (which is probably much more tounge-in-cheek than you guys realize), but I'm just adding context for why it is.

I think a very simple solution would be to keep the threads separated. If that happens and he came back over here just to **** talk I won't defend him, but I think it's unfair to group up on a guy who got thrown into a situation he didn't want.

For the record, I'm fine with whatever interpretation of Wario being discussed here, but I still think a thread that was literally made only for Wario Land Wario, should've remained specific to that interpretation. I'm pretty sure Breath of the Wild Link still has a newcomer thread, no?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
For the record, I'm fine with whatever interpretation of Wario being discussed here, but I still think a thread that was literally made only for Wario Land Wario, should've remained specific to that interpretation. I'm pretty sure Breath of the Wild Link still has a newcomer thread, no?
I know, you can see my responses to that thread on page 2. And I'm also happy to see the thread's separated, I'm not entirely sure why they were combined in the first place. Again, you can see from my responses earlier that I thought it was a good idea.

That doesn't make Josh's responses (from that original thread or since the combination) any less self important or annoying. He can bring it up with the mods if he wants to talk about Wario Land in a thread entirely separately from any Wario Ware discussion. Doesn't excuse his constant belittling of any comments that disagree with him. Nor does it excuse the fact that he's one of the few people I've seen in this forum saying that he wants a character cut for no other reason than that he doesn't like that character (not doesn't like their playstyle, doesn't think they fit the game or doesn't like playing against them, just straight up thinks his opinion of what Wario should be is more important and that current Wario should be cut).

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
After reading over the thread more thoroughly, I decided it would be best to separate the threads as they were intended. If I missed any posts that should be in the veteran thread, let me know and I will move it accordingly. Likewise, if I moved something by mistake, let me know.

The veteran thread can be found here:
https://smashboards.com/threads/veteran-wario-thread.453849/

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I know, you can see my responses to that thread on page 2. And I'm also happy to see the thread's separated, I'm not entirely sure why they were combined in the first place. Again, you can see from my responses earlier that I thought it was a good idea.

That doesn't make Josh's responses (from that original thread or since the combination) any less self important or annoying. He can bring it up with the mods if he wants to talk about Wario Land in a thread entirely separately from any Wario Ware discussion. Doesn't excuse his constant belittling of any comments that disagree with him. Nor does it excuse the fact that he's one of the few people I've seen in this forum saying that he wants a character cut for no other reason than that he doesn't like that character (not doesn't like their playstyle, doesn't think they fit the game or doesn't like playing against them, just straight up thinks his opinion of what Wario should be is more important and that current Wario should be cut).
After reading over the thread more thoroughly, I decided it would be best to separate the threads as they were intended. If I missed any posts that should be in the veteran thread, let me know and I will move it accordingly and likewise, if I moved something by mistake, let me know.

Glad it's been settled. We'll see how everything goes from here.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
After reading over the thread more thoroughly, I decided it would be best to separate the threads as they were intended. If I missed any posts that should be in the veteran thread, let me know and I will move it accordingly. Likewise, if I moved something by mistake, let me know.

Frankly, I don't think you made the right call.

The idea that there should be two Warios representing these two sides of the franchise is an utterly ridiculous idea. Wario is literally the same character between Land and World.

This is like saying we need a Ganondorf with punching and a Ganondorf with a sword.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This is like saying we need a Ganondorf with punching and a Ganondorf with a sword.
Not to get into an argument, but it already sort of did happen with Link and Toon Link. If that can happen, then Punchy-Ganondorf and Dual-Sword-Toon Ganondorf could certainly happen. That is the fun of speculation.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not to get into an argument, but it already sort of did happen with Link and Toon Link. If that can happen, then Punchy-Ganondorf and Dual-Sword-Toon Ganondorf could certainly happen. That is the fun of speculation.
At least the two Links are literally different characters, in alternate timelines at that. Wario is the same character between Land and Ware.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
At least the two Links are literally different characters, in alternate timelines at that.
Young Link and Link were the same exact character from the same timeline yet found space in the same game. Maybe WLWario is a younger version of WWWario? As I said, it is all speculation anyways until things are revealed.

Either way, this is detracting, the topic is the Wario Land version of Wario, so have at it guys.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
At least the two Links are literally different characters, in alternate timelines at that. Wario is the same character between Land and Ware.
We have Mario and Doctor Mario and Samus and ZSS if you want to argue that. I'm not a fan of repeat characters, but they do already exist and anyway this is just for speculation purposes.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
At very least this makes sense as a 'speculation' thread, versus the 'veteran discussion' of the current Wario. Whether or not they're the same character is up for debate, but this thread calls for a Wario based entirely on Wario Land, the other thread can discuss including Wario Land references in his moveset. This thread can discuss what an entirely Wario Land moveset would look like in the first place. This does open the door for there to be 4 different Ganondorf threads for a sorceror, sword user, dual swords and veteran Ganondorf using this split as precedent, but it's not like this isn't a busy forum already anyway.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
At very least this makes sense as a 'speculation' thread, versus the discussion of the current Wario. Whether or not they're the same character is up for debate, but this thread calls for a Wario based entirely on Wario Land, the other thread can discuss including Wario Land references in his moveset. This thread can discuss what an entirely Wario Land moveset would look like in the first place. This does open the door for there to be 4 different Ganondorf threads for a sorceror, sword user, dual swords and veteran Ganondorf using this split as precedent, but it's not like this isn't a busy forum already anyway.
I guess that's true. I hope people don't take advantage.

For anyone that wants to talk about any kind of Wario, the Wario thread in the veterans section is still up, and I updated it a little bit. Feel free to make any suggestions

PsychoJosh

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Is it obviously a joke when you've been acting that way the whole thread? Is it a joke if it's not even funny? This is like the opposite of crying wolf, you're genuinely dismissive the whole thread and it's no big deal then come out and blatantly dismiss everything as a joke and laugh at the people who believed you. Like you haven't already been dismissing anyone who disagrees. And to follow up, your response to apparently being misunderstood is to be passive aggressive about 3 different people calling you out on your BS.

Edit: To paraphrase what I said to Quillion in the Ganon thread: at some point you have to stop assuming that everyone else here are the idiots

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Here's the problem with that, though:

"Funny" is subjective. I thought it was funny.

Is it obviously a joke when you've been acting that way the whole thread?
Yes it is. It's really not my fault if you're seriously too ****ing dumb to recognize when a comment is blatantly facetious. Only now you recognize that it's another excuse to waltz in here and condescend like a prick and you're taking full advantage of that because you've been looking for more opportunities for do so, as evidenced by the fact that you don't' want to actually talk about the Wario Land news link I just posted, and are only derailing the thread further to continue on this tangent. You keep trying to frame your comments as "here's why my opinion counts more than yours, and if you disagree, it's because you're immature", which in of itself is the height of immaturity.

And to follow up, your response to apparently being misunderstood is to be passive aggressive about 3 different people calling you out on your BS.
Well, yeah, naturally it's frustrating to have to deal with a bunch of smug imbeciles dogpiling on you and aggressively insisting that two plus two is actually five. I imagine anyone else would react the same way when a thread and a character you've poured a lot of thought into gets **** on by total jerkoffs like yourself holding others to a standard you don't even bother to maintain on your own.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If Mario with a fake PhD can get a different moveset, Wario in overalls can. He definitely moves differently enough in his platformers to be worth considering separately. Compared to Ware Wario he's far less mobile in the air, but has a better sense of weight on the ground.
Up Special: The Corkscrew Conk, which the Corkscrew was loosely based off. Wario hurtles through the air in a somersault, allowing him to bounce off enemies. Huge amounts of horizontal movement, but unless you hit an enemy it's vertical mobility is low.
Side B: Shoulder Bash mirrors the Wario Bike. Both are means of getting around that double as attacks. Comes out fast on the ground. In the air it's a Jet Hat Charge (WL1) that quickly shorts out, which is great horizontally but won't help with vertical recovery. You can also jump out of it on the ground or crouch to cancel it and maintain some momentum.
Down B: Butt Stomp can even recycle the Fart animations! It's basically half-finished already. The further you travel before it lands, the more damage it does. On the ground you instead perform the Earthquake Punch from Shake It. In both cases, hitting the ground can cause nearby foes to trip up.
Neutral B: Pick Up replaces Chomp as your command grab. In return for giving up the generous lingering hitbox you can scoop enemies in their 'tripped'/knocked down state and carry them around in a cargo throw, as well as transition into your normal throws by hitting your grab button. Hit B again during the cargo throw to charge and aim your throw.
Dash Attack: The WL4 charge/Shake It 'max speed' dash. Wario thrusts his head forward and his arms back as he dashes ahead. Similar to Luigi's dash, but Wario moves faster using it than he does when dashing and keeps momentum after it ends. The head is one hitbox while his arm is a multi-hit hitbox.
Throws: Move the multiple-spin throw back to forward throw like in Brawl (Ware Wario keeps it as his b-throw). Overalls Wario's new backthrow is The Piledriver, where he jumps with the grab foe while spinning and crushes them into the ground, launching them away from him. It's a backthrow because he finishes it facing backwards rather than forwards, if that wasn't clear.
Forward Air: similar to Mario's dunkpunch, except he throws it underarmed and upwards.
Neutral Air: a sex kick (like Mario/Luigi's n-air) that takes some time to come out.
Down Air: a two-handed punch downwards similar to Diddy Kong's, but also a bit slow.
Down-Tilt: 1-2 swipes with bent elbows. Either one can trip a foe up.
Forward-Tilt: Wario winds up for a punch with one arm, then suckerpunches with the other. Holding a during this move has him pull through with the wind-up punch, which isn't much stronger but has different timing.
General properties: heavier, maintains momentum when jumping (think Melee Falcon), less air control.
Overalls Wario has a lot of synergy and options on the ground. His various approach options, psycheouts his earthshaking qualities and even his command grab that lets him scoop up collapsed enemies mean he his presence on the stage isn't to be underestimated. But he totally lacks the insane air properties that made Ware Wario unpredictable. No longer can he bike-jump fart doublejump corkscrew underneath stages, which naturally means his recovery is far worse. He trades the unpredictability of his original moveset for more stout strength.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Wario Land Wario is already an alternate costume for Wario Ware Wario. And SSB4 introduced custom movesets. Wario's moves would be more likely to be tweaked than to add a slot for Classic Wario. And no, Dr. Mario, Zero Suit Samus, Toon Link and Young Link do not justify a new Wario.

PsychoJosh

Wario Land Wario is already an alternate costume for Wario Ware Wario. And SSB4 introduced custom movesets. Wario's moves would be more likely to be tweaked than to add a slot for Classic Wario. And no, Dr. Mario, Zero Suit Samus, Toon Link and Young Link do not justify a new Wario.
Don't bother giving a reason why or anything. I don't believe you that it's not a good enough reason. Samus got an entirely alternate version of herself with a completely new moveset. There is no reason it can't happen here, other than fanboy nitpicking.

Wario Land Wario being an alternate costume for Ware Wario isn't good enough. There is much more combat potential to be had than just merely a cosmetic change - Wario Land already has an entirely different moveset that's nothing remotely like WarioWare.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Why bring up SSB4 custom moves when none of them made Wario more similar to his Wario Land self? The only character to get substantially different specials was Palutena.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why bring up SSB4 custom moves when none of them made Wario more similar to his Wario Land self? The only character to get substantially different specials was Palutena.
It's not just that. It's the fact that they weren't meant to be. All customs outside of Palutena and Mii Fighters were intentionally similar to the original move slot. They're just meant to make them feel a bit different. None of Wario's specials is similar enough to Wario Land in the first place, making the idea unfeasible.

Other than a completely different moveset and slot, the only other way would be giving him more WL moves(like the shoulder dash back).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well now the game's been seen, Land Wario is looking unlikley but the shoulder bash has returned as a dash attack and his down throw got a new animation making it closer to the classic butt stomp.

PsychoJosh

Yeah, I've abandoned hope for WL Wario. But it's good that he has his shoulder bash at least.

Better than nothing, but not by much.

Skeleton-o-puns

Smash Cadet
Heya, it’s skele-ton-o puns. I’ve decided to make a warioland wario moveset for our favorite greedy anti-hero. Recently one of the moderators informed me that movesets aren’t enough for a thread. He informed me to also add who the character is, why the person thinks they should be in smash, and how there games and/or personality could incorporates moveset. So with that out of the way, I will start the new and improved- threads of various characters.

Who is Warioland Wario?

Wario didn’t first appear as the biker costume/warioware. When the wii and gameboy was used more often, wario was a platformer title at heart. While he did have a few bouts on the wii for his marvelous micro games, his titles focused on the puzzle-action platform genre. His platformers incorporated various puzzles and traps wario had to solve. They weren’t like the regular platformers that goody two shoes Mario has.

Why should the other version of the big W be in snash?

Link has 3 versions of him. Pit has two. We all are tired of fire emblem right? (If you don’t that’s fine too, a very fine series indeed.) #supportivesmashfan. Anyhow, I feel like giving a Warioland slot to the big lug, (Wario) as well as having Captain Syrup be in smash, would give a long dead series (Warioland) one final hurrah.

What could his moveset be like?

In Warioland, Wario can perform basic moves like the dash attack, the butt stomp, the ground punch, and basic fist attack. Along with that, the various hats he has could be used as his smash attacks or his aerial attacks. Finally the attacks of other fighters could make him function differently, kind of like a Kirby technique. For example, if Mario throws a fireball, and it hits Wario, then he’ll turn into his Fire Wario counterpart. His special would be he would shoot out sparks and flames in random directions. You could taunt to discard, or have it knocked out of you from a particular nasty attack.

Finally, the moveset for our beloved Mario-hating, money-miser.

Neutral- SUCK-er punch

Wario winds up his fist like DK’s neutral, but as he’s doing it, he sucks in nearby items and opponents like King K. Krool’s gun. What item he draws in can affect what the punch looks like. (Wario, not King K. Rool.) If he reels in a fire projectile it will be a fiery punch for example. It’s basically a combination of DK’s Neutral, K. Rool’s Side special, Kirby’s neutral, and Villager’s neutral. Anyway, if he sucks in a fighter, he’ll automatically punch them causing great knockback. (Most of Warioland Wario’s attack’s revolve around brute strength.)

Side special- Shoulder charge

Wario dashes forward like the shoulder bash, but it knocks over opponents, and has the potential to bury them. Can be charged up.

Up special- Butt stomp

Wario leaps up in the air, and automatically drops down similar to Bowser’s down special. However it can bury opponents and if used in midair can spike them.

Down special- Earthshake

Wario punches the ground, and cause knock back to nearby fighters. Again, it can bury opponents if they get caught.

Grabs- Warioland: Shake it!

Wario grabs and shakes a foe like he does in Warioland: Shake It! Simply toggle up and down and he’ll shake them violently.

Final Smash- Wario leaps up in the air, and summons the bottomless coin sack and causes gold coins to rain down on opposing fighters.

Not really sure about palette swaps for this one folks. Maybe various hats like in Warioland 2 + 3. Tell me what you think. Please don’t take me down moderators.

Last edited:

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Wario Land Wario could be an echo. More unnatural dark-pinkish skin, more oni-like facial features and wearing a black-white suit, just like his Wario Land 2-3 sprites.

I like others opinions but this is how i would like my Wario to be:

His up+B could be an almost basic jump, but pressing B while jumping would make him float-fly the direction he is facing, much like Wario Land 1s fly cap.

His down+B would obviously be his buttsmash. The higher he jumps and charges it, the harder it hits. Jumping from a very high height or from recovering from a huge hit would cause an earthquake around the stage.

His B would be based on what he eats.

The side-B would be his iconic shoulder dash. The more you hold it in, the stronger it becomes. Ofcourse, it would have a super armor effect. If you feel like it, you can spam it for weaker damage and knockback.

His Smash-attack is him turning into metal Wario. He would be buffed and he would have a much easier time hitting people trying to dodge or avoid him. He would break shields with two attacks and anyone trying to dodge him would get hit anyways. It would be even more fun if you could choose what Smash attack he could have.

His throw would be like the throws of Wario World.

Last edited:

Skeleton-o-puns

Smash Cadet
Ok sound good. Long as my ideas remain my ideas.

Look, acting entitled to
Look, acting entitled to a different portrayal of a certain character is being unrealistic, selfish, and all in all makes you look like a brat.

I say this as someone who used to be insanely opposed to Ganondorf's portrayal a few years back.

You need to hear our compromises out. Not just because it's more realistic, but because Smash has generally done a good job of integrating various sources into one character when it cones to the Mario and extended Mario cast. If Peach can reference the sports titles and SMB2 at the same time, Wario can reference Land and Ware.

And really, the only crucial thing Wario needs from Land is his shoulder bash. Really, what else does he have in Land that can work as a moveset?
a different portrayal of a certain character is being unrealistic, selfish, and all in all makes you look like a brat.

What about his earth shake?

Also I just want Warioland. I didn’t mean to offend

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I like this idea. I don't think it'll happen, because with Wario's shoulderbash being his dash attack now, he's clearly meant to be an amalgam of both. It would be awesome though! Add me to the supporters list. :)

Top Bottom