• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, the demographics heavily favor Cartoon Network characters above all others, pretty much, when it comes to stuff that's actually WB-owned. The top spots on polls are almost always a combination of CN characters, with a few DC and third parties thrown in as well, and a very small amount of Other characters seen as crucial but missing, like Scooby, Daffy, or the Animaniacs. According to the most recent polling of the official discord wishlist channel, Cartoon Network characters are by far the most requested character subcategory, with 112 entrants falling under that specific umbrella. For context, the second highest is DC Comics with 95, before general Warner Bros drops to 63 in third place. Hanna-Barbera is in fourth with 33, and fifth place...is Adult Swim. Yeah, those were explicitly not counted under the Cartoon Network umbrella. So it really does show how much pull CN characters specifically have.

Which...well, it's pretty sad for me lol. Like I totally get it. Quite a few of my most wanted characters are CN characters (hell, Wilt is my most wanted character, Johnny Bravo is firmly in like my top seven, I'm thrilled Samurai Jack is getting in, and my third most wanted character is T.O.M. from Toonami...who has actually been on Adult Swim for longer than he was on Cartoon Network, if you want to feel old). But it's a bit sad that it really does seem like, with the exception of some DC characters and a few straggling animated characters from other parts of the company like Daffy and Scooby, CN characters are pretty much all that get requested. And then a metric ton of third party characters (seriously why are there three Breaking Bad characters in the top thirty-five).

It's probably more so a testament to just how much WB owns, leading to less fanbase overlap, but it's admittedly frustrating how a good portion of the fan base treats characters from live action films...the very thing on which the WB studio was founded. The amount of younger people I've seen upset about the Wicked Witch and calling literally the most famous female villain in all of film a "literal who" is especially rough. Like damn. Thankfully that IS getting a bit better as of late, since Jason and Agent Smith seem to have gone over relatively well within the fandom.

But man does it also put my Most Wanted list at odds with the lists from the vast majority of the game's fanbase lmao. I'm pretty sure my top ten, excluding thoroughly leaked characters, has more characters from New Line Cinema than it does from Cartoon Network.
It's because the Multiversus fandom is primarily in that age bracket where Cartoon Network would have been super formative. But not just any Cartoon Network. It's Late 90s to Mid 2010s. A lot of the older franchises (or newer franchises) get undue derision due to that fact. To add on to that, the kind of fan to speculate online is the kind to really latch on to cartoony characters from their childhood. We've seen this from Smash. Personally, I'm glad the team at PFG seems to appreciate WB as a whole and is willing to put in live action and non Cartoon Network cartoon characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never watched Game of Thrones or Friday the 13th yet Arya and Jason are two of my favorite characters in the roster simply because how unique they feel.

I don't blame people for prioritizing the characters they are familiar with but half of the fun in crossovers is getting to know new stuff.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
A lot of the characters in Multiversus I like are ones I’ve never watched the source material of. I main Cake and I’ve never watched Adventure Time, for example. I do think it helps if I like the character’s design and personality in Multiversus itself though.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's a question I have for everyone - who do we think the next non-datamined or leaked character will be? Obviously it'll be awhile, because we have like 15 characters in the queue and we're probably going to get most if not all of them before someone who probably hasn't started development yet. I'm thinking a Regular Show character, because of how big a request it is, or Paul Atreides because of how big Dune has been for WB.

(for reference:)
C001 - Wonder Woman
C002 - Shaggy
C003 - Superman
C004 - Batman
C005 - Jake
C006 - Arya
C007 - Bugs Bunny
C008 - Harley Quinn
C009 - Reindog
C010 - Tom and Jerry
C011 - Steven Universe
C012 - Garnet
C013 - Finn
C014 - Velma
C015 - Taz
C016 - LeBron James
C017 - Iron Giant
C018 - Marvin the Martian
C019 - Morty
C020 - Rick
C021 - Black Adam
C022 - Wicked Witch
C023A - Gizmo
C023B - Stripe
C024 - Beetlejuice
C025 - Raven
C026 - Samurai Jack
C027 - Nubia

C028 - Joker
C029 - Aquaman
C030 - Powerpuff Girls
C031 - Marceline
C032 - ???
C033 - ??? (implied to be Ruby Rose due to petal effects)

C034 - Banana Guard
C035 - Jason
C036 - Agent Smith
C037 - ???
C038 - ???
C039 - ???
C040 - Mr. Meeseeks
crow - Gandalf
seasons - Daffy Duck

In addition, two of the four True Unknowns are implied to be Scooby-Doo and Dexter.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also I think after Adventure Time and Steven Universe, a lot of people scared themselves into thinking PFG would only add modern CN shows and that's why there was such a huge push for classics like Dexter's Laboratory.

ivanlerma

Smash Master
Here's a question I have for everyone - who do we think the next non-datamined or leaked character will be? Obviously it'll be awhile, because we have like 15 characters in the queue and we're probably going to get most if not all of them before someone who probably hasn't started development yet. I'm thinking a Regular Show character, because of how big a request it is, or Paul Atreides because of how big Dune has been for WB.

(for reference:)
I Imagine maybe regular show having a character either being Mordecai and Rigby together or Mordecai first and the other one could be another CN character probably Bloo for the fosters nursery show or if it's Live-Action then i'd say a gane of thrones rep.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I think part of the problem with SU and GoT is the skins they have aren’t all that exciting yet. Leaks show Steven is getting skins of Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl shapeshifted into him, which I think are going to be very popular. (Especially if they get the VAs for the latter two to record lines for it)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think part of the problem with SU and GoT is the skins they have aren’t all that exciting yet. Leaks show Steven is getting skins of Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl shapeshifted into him, which I think are going to be very popular. (Especially if they get the VAs for the latter two to record lines for it)
doesn’t sound that exciting

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
doesn’t sound that exciting

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Arya is just as character with less costume options by default due to the nature of her series. But the summer Arya alt seems pretty popular so maybe some original stuff like that would help j

To be honest, can't blame the MVS community here. DC and CN are easily Warner's best material. And this is coming from someone that didn't give a single damn about mainline DC stuff until MVS made me watch some of the animated movies + Young Justice.

Now I want all of the Justice League to get in. Aquaman is sick (the people slandering him never saw him cook ever). I need the echo rumors to be true so Captain Marvel has a legitimate chance as a Black Adam echo. I gotta see Billy shine so bad, he's awesome.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, can't blame the MVS community here. DC and CN are easily Warner's best material. And this is coming from someone that didn't give a single damn about mainline DC stuff until MVS made me watch some of the animated movies + Young Justice.

Now I want all of the Justice League to get in. Aquaman is sick (the people slandering him never saw him cook ever). I need the echo rumors to be true so Captain Marvel has a legitimate chance as a Black Adam echo. I gotta see Billy shine so bad, he's awesome.
legally he’s called Shazam now

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Apparently he swaps names and can be called either or as fairly modern shows still use the name Captain Marvel. I think comics just use "The Captain" nowadays though...
comics wise it's just been shazam for a while. marvel have been using the captain marvel name for more than a decade now

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
O
Oh i missed this. Doesn't look like it's stuck though. More recent comics still call him Shazam and he's referred to as so in MVS itself with vocelines and the ring out

don't get the wrong I'm a comics purest, I would vastly prefer him to be called Captain Marvel as I think it's a way better name for him, but if he gets in it'll be as Shazam.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
He was called Captain Marvel briefly in Shazam: Fury of the Gods. (figure it's worth mentioning because it's a recent movie and, statistically speaking, I might have been the only person here who saw it haha)

Part of the problem is that they can't legally call a series that stars Billy Batson "Captain Marvel" (which is why his series tend to be called "Shazam!", and why his superhero name was changed to Shazam in the New 52) because, in the time between Fawcett Comics shutting down (in the 50's) and DC buying Billy Batson and the related characters (in the 90's, though they licensed them in the 70's and beyond), Marvel gained the trademark for calling a series "Captain Marvel" (in the 60's) and they're unlikely to give that up for obvious reasons.

In Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, the character was called Captain Marvel, and this is long after Marvel's Captain Marvels existed. They should be able to get away with calling the character Captain Marvel, in all likelihood. (though maybe they won't want to take the risk)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
He was called Captain Marvel briefly in Shazam: Fury of the Gods. (figure it's worth mentioning because it's a recent movie and, statistically speaking, I might have been the only person here who saw it haha)

Part of the problem is that they can't legally call a series that stars Billy Batson "Captain Marvel" (which is why his series tend to be called "Shazam!", and why his superhero name was changed to Shazam in the New 52) because, in the time between Fawcett Comics shutting down (in the 50's) and DC buying Billy Batson and the related characters (in the 90's, though they licensed them in the 70's and beyond), Marvel gained the trademark for calling a series "Captain Marvel" (in the 60's) and they're unlikely to give that up for obvious reasons.
Given how Multiversus's writing usually is, I fully expect other DC characters to poke fun at Billy's name (and not being able to call him that ) if he ever gets in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

In Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, the character was called Captain Marvel, and this is long after Marvel's Captain Marvels existed. They should be able to get away with calling the character Captain Marvel, in all likelihood. (though maybe they won't want to take the risk)
wait DC didn't own them when they put them into their main universe?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
wait DC didn't own them when they put them into their main universe?
Apparently not; I'm going off of what I read on Wikipedia (though it had a source), but DC didn't buy the Shazam property outright until later.

It does happen from time to time, though; I read a Marvel comic recently (a Hercules series) that heavily implied that Godzilla's Marvel appearances are still canon. (though they never specifically mentioned Godzilla)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
RWBY has officially been acquired by Viz Media.

As a result, I think it’s safe to say all RWBY reps chances for Multiversus are now 0.
B-b-b-but anyone is game! Doesn't have to be just Warner Bros.! That's what the developers said!

Especially given Eleven from Stranger Things!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Um...

I have a major question to ask...

What should we do about Mighty Magiswords now?
I don't even know what that is.
B-b-b-but anyone is game! Doesn't have to be just Warner Bros.! That's what the developers said!

This post is confusing. The "B-b-but" stuttering is meant to imply you're making fun of the idea that any character is possible...and then you link to a post wherein you earnestly believe that.

Eleven is also absolutely a holdover from when the game was being shopped around to different companies. PapaGenos basically confirmed this.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Um...

It was never getting in to begin with.

I don't even know what that is.

Eleven is also absolutely a holdover from when the game was being shopped around to different companies. PapaGenos basically confirmed this.
Cartoons Network show. Creator just got arrested.

I do think that's the case about Eleven but the interesting thing is Raven and Finn did have dialog with her. Looks like they where considering adding her even after it switched to WB.

A character who WB owned till a few months ago and who already had work done is very different to a character who has never appeared outside his own platform

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Um...

I don't think they were going to put anything from Mighty Magiswords into this game even if the creator didn't end up being a creep. It didn't seem to be much of a success and didn't last very long.

Just go watch Slayers,

I don't think they were going to put anything from Mighty Magiswords into this game even if the creator didn't end up being a creep. It didn't seem to be much of a success and didn't last very long.

Just go watch Slayers,
Yeah, I'm not too shocked at how likely the show was to get represented. But I'm also glad someone is aware of Slayers.

On that subject, am I the only one who sees similarities between Lina Inverse and Lucina?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The final rift is out now and there are 3 observations:

1. All gems are usable
2. The rift itself sees the return of every boss fought previously, but remixed. For example, Stripe now summons giant Gremlins, while you now fight two Watermelon Stevens. There are a few branching paths with the only optional boss being the Dexter Robot.
3. You can only pick between 3 characters per rift. For example, Watermelon Steven locks Player 1 to Jake, Shaggy, or Taz. Player 2 is free to use whoever they please.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Big warning: In Insanity, the Smith fight in the final rift is bugged. If you don't kill the Shaggy that spawns quickly, a superman will spawn as an extra enemy and add more health to smith. After beating both, smith comes out as usual but after taking enough damage he vanishes and never comes back and obviously you lose due to the timer.

The fight is not even hard but the bug is certainly annoying

LimeTH

Smash Lord
The final rift is out now and there are 3 observations:

1. All gems are usable
2. The rift itself sees the return of every boss fought previously, but remixed. For example, Stripe now summons giant Gremlins, while you now fight two Watermelon Stevens. There are a few branching paths with the only optional boss being the Dexter Robot.
3. You can only pick between 3 characters per rift. For example, Watermelon Steven locks Player 1 to Jake, Shaggy, or Taz. Player 2 is free to use whoever they please.
Does every boss count towards the Smith thing or is it still only the final one?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Big warning: In Insanity, the Smith fight in the final rift is bugged. If you don't kill the Shaggy that spawns quickly, a superman will spawn as an extra enemy and add more health to smith. After beating both, smith comes out as usual but after taking enough damage he vanishes and never comes back and obviously you lose due to the timer.

The fight is not even hard but the bug is certainly annoying
Guess if I want to clear it for the Matrix Bugs skin, I gotta run Banana Guard and get Shaggy off stage quickly.

Edit:
Does every boss count towards the Smith thing or is it still only the final one?
Only the final point counts. This means to get Smith, you have to do the following:
All Easy Rifts
The 3 Normal Rifts
The 6 Crushing Rifts
Any 3 Insanity Rifts

Last edited:
Top Bottom