• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

How would we feel if this was this year's character release lineup? I don't necessarily believe this is what will happen, but one way that things could happen.

Release: Joker, Scooby, Powerpuff Girls, Wicked Witch of the West, Pickle Rick (clone)

June: Shazam (Black Adam clone), Samurai Jack

July: Danerys Tarnygen (Game of Thrones)

August: Dexter, Fiona (Finn clone)

September: Daffy Duck

October: Beetlejuice

November: Gandalf, Stevonnie (hybrid clone; takes normal moves from Wonder Woman and specials from Steven Universe)

December: Marceline
For me, there's about one good character every month. That itself would be a massive boon to the playerbase.

As for the characters themselves, the one I like the least would be Pickle Rick, but at least I understand why he would be here. Frankly, I would be on board for this kind of lineup.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I am hoping they space out character releases a bit more this time. Like yeah sure, dump a whole bunch at launch to make it feel worth it but after that, limit it to one a month or something.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Joker’s gameplay trailer will come out 9 am on Monday.

Edit: Also, WB Southeast Asia reposted Joker’s trailer, effectively confirming the game for that region.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
more trailers dropping after joker's next week

Do you think the hints we got point at something?
Hard to say… especially with so many candidates.

I’m thinking we may get a cinematic trailer for the game as a whole next week which would reveal multiple characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I booted up Multiversus again just to familiarize myself with the controls and movesets again.

There's a lot of fun moves in the game, but does it feel kind of stiff to anyone else? I think in the past I had gotten used to it, but I definitely felt it yesterday.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

It’s the Joker.

Edit: Also included:

Costumes for the Joker, and Harley Quinn.

A full look at the Dexter’s Laboratory stage. It gives me Wario Ware Inc vibes.

Double Edit:

Look above Shaggy’s file near the start to see three familiar faces. Note that their artwork is not from Multiversus.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

It’s the Joker.

Edit: Also included:

Costumes for the Joker, and Harley Quinn.

A full look at the Dexter’s Laboratory stage. It gives me Wario Ware Inc vibes.

Double Edit:

Look above Shaggy’s file near the start to see three familiar faces. Note that their artwork is not from Multiversus.
was that the batman who laughs?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I’m already bummed they didn’t listen to my impassioned plea in their survey to have the three of them as separate characters (unless they’re doing a PT/PryaMytra/Beavers thing), but the sting wouldn’t be so bad if they at least based the design off the originals. Even the merchandise has started focusing mostly on the OG PPG.

I’m also worried about Dexter, if he’s playable, being the Savino season’s design but unlike with the PPG that design seems to have unfortunately supplanted the original entirely.

I think one thing that is underrated about the 90’s designs for Dexter and the PPG (besides just being better looking) is they’re leaner and less compact than how they’d eventually end up, which would lend itself better to platform fighter animations. I’m not the only one who’s thought of that, right?

darkvortex

Smash Lord
How would we feel if this was this year's character release lineup? I don't necessarily believe this is what will happen, but one way that things could happen.

Release: Joker, Scooby, Powerpuff Girls, Wicked Witch of the West, Pickle Rick (clone)

June: Shazam (Black Adam clone), Samurai Jack

July: Danerys Tarnygen (Game of Thrones)

August: Dexter, Fiona (Finn clone)

September: Daffy Duck

October: Beetlejuice

November: Gandalf, Stevonnie (hybrid clone; takes normal moves from Wonder Woman and specials from Steven Universe)

December: Marceline
Looks good. That's a strong launch line up. Would be surprised the DC clone is not Nubia or Punchline and I dunno how much we need a second Black Adam but it should have been Shazam to start with anyway so eh. four AT characters feels like a lot but it's not a big deal I guess.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Jokers other alt is from the 2017 comic " Batman: The Dark Prince Charming"
51YfkYs3hBL.jpg

We also finally have the doctor Harleen Quinzel skin that has been in the files for years

FaOxhaeXwAUAdp8.jpg

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Really want Courage and Eustace!

Also Nowhere as a stage where you could have cameos such as Muriel exiting from the farmhouse and some of Courage's rogue galleries like Katz, Le Quack (On his balloon) and the weremole digging around and popping his head every now and then!

Last edited:

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
Apparently based on that leaked photo that was posted earlier there's been speculation that the PPGs will actually be based on the 2016 reboot instead of the original series.
As has been said above, I really think that's just a Placeholder. It's just some of the first art that comes up when you type in powerpuff girls.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So there’s a Dev Stage on Discord where they are discussing the details behind Joker.

And the very first thing they showed off was his moveset.

Edit: Joker will have a variant based on the Killing Joke.

In addition, Batman Who Laughs will have unique lines plus an announcer pack.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Silly question, but how strongly do people feel that we should get the main character over side characters? I'm asking because smiling friends season 2 has me thinking. I'd be perfectly happy with Pim and Charlie being playable, but I'd much prefer either Mr Boss
1715718946497.png

or President Mr Frog
1715718886486.png

Faso115

Smash Lord
Silly question, but how strongly do people feel that we should get the main character over side characters? I'm asking because smiling friends season 2 has me thinking. I'd be perfectly happy with Pim and Charlie being playable, but I'd much prefer either Mr Boss
View attachment 389318
or President Mr Frog
View attachment 389317
Nah, Mr. Boss hard losses to Gwimbly so i much rather Gwimbly. Mr. Frog is cool tho.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
View attachment 389318
or President Mr Frog
View attachment 389317
Depends of the context, but usually I would much rather have the main character, unless the side characters are more populars than the main in the first place. The best example is Mortal kombat where I really don't care about Liu Kang and Scorpion is just the obvious choice.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
View attachment 389318
or President Mr Frog
View attachment 389317
Charlie is one of my most wanted, so I’d probably prefer him over anyone else, but honestly any Smiling Friends rep would be fantastic.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I don’t know much about the PowerPuff Girls, but the way I’d handle them as a single character is that the 3 of them would be kind of huddled together, with one of them in front as the main one you’re controlling. However, the majority of their attacks use a specific one of the girls’ abilities, which causes that girl to move into the “main” position while doing the attack. The few moves that don’t cause a character swap have different properties depending on which one is in front. They also have a couple moves where they all attack at once or consecutively.

Additionally, I wonder if there’d be a Byleth-esque thing where each of the girls is associated with a different control stick direction, with the last unused direction (neutral or side maybe?) being used for the non-specific moves.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Admittedly Mr. Frog feels like he'd be a fantastic candidate to play as, especially if you go full assassin but with an absurdly chaotic vibe where his whole thing is just getting in your face and then eating you

The problem is that if he isn't able to move across the entire screen in like 0.2 seconds it just wouldn't actually feel like him

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 389318
or President Mr Frog
View attachment 389317
I'm not opposed to a side character getting in over a main character on principle, especially if the side characters are iconic in their own right, but it's also definitely a case by case basis thing for me.

For Smash, I love both Spring Man and Min Min, so Min Min getting in over Spring Man was fine by me (though I am hoping Spring Man gets to join her next time). On the other hand, Robin and Lucina getting in over Chrom in Smash 4, while I understood it, did sting. But that's been rectified now anyway.

For NASB, I was 100% on board with Nigel getting in over Eliza. He's an absolute icon of the late 90s and early 00s. And while Arnold still remains my most wanted newcomer for NASB, Helga and Gerald are basically just as much main characters, and Gertie was a fun surprise, so their inclusions are fine by me (though that more so speaks to how strong the character work is on Hey Arnold in general).

This game is much the same for me. Admittedly the absence of Scooby IS weird, but he's one of the most "we're clearly getting him eventually" characters in existence so I don't mind as much, especially since all of Mystery Inc are super beloved and iconic (my distaste for how Shaggy's represented aside).

And some of the leaked examples follow this as well, and they're some of the leaked characters I'm most excited for. Both Wicked Witch and Beetlejuice are getting in over Dorothy Gale and Lydia Deetz, respectively, but they're both super iconic characters anyway, and have much more to work with than their films' protagonists.

Hell, my own most wanted character is Wilt lol. I hate the idea of Mac and Bloo getting in as a duo on principle, and I don't think Mac on his own would be a good idea: it should be an imaginary friend that gets in...but Bloo is like the most boring choice possible for the show, in my eyes, especially since he's a purposely unlikeable character. So the best picks, in my eyes, are Wilt, Eduardo, and Coco, and of them Wilt is absolutely my favorite. It also helps that he's the third most recurring character on the show (missing only two episodes, and he's mentioned in one of them) only behind Bloo and Mac, and was the focus of one of their three TV movies.

Hell, I'd also be perfectly happy if Muscle Man was our first Regular Show character. But at the same time, there are limits...it would feel very weird to me if, say, we got anyone from The Sopranos who wasn't Tony Soprano. At that point you'd just need to ask yourself why.

Top Bottom