• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU discussion: Sheik

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I coulda sworn I responded here.

Anyways "sheik is bad online"...
And somehow the best player online is a sheik player.
So ive been playing sheiks on ladder. And well is gold and platinum sheiks count as good sheiks because theres no sheik to take a game off me as long as I ban battlefeild and lylat (worst stages for yoshi imo).
I was gonna upload a set but the guys always switch to some one else like rosalina which is one of my best MUs.

I Fought direonfire butI it wasnt the same mu and I was ryu.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Characters that need to get reads to kill are inherently worse online. Chars that kill off buffers and grabs like sonic and luigi are just inherently easier.

Yoshi imo isn't easy online but way easier than sheik.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
But somehow sheiks are actually doing well online. I find it much harder to punish them in lag but they punish me in lag. There so safe online. Ive been playing sheik myself and shes slighty more irritating then yoshi online but shes much more safe. I dont have to worry about getting gimped and sheild grabed.

medofbr

Smash Cadet
I've found that if you get far enough away in the air a shiek that follows under you (at least most for glory shieks) can be wrecked by a down B.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
That kinda is a bit true but I doubt that would work on really good sheiks. Because she has alot of endlag on her aerials if she does cancel them and her air speed isnt that fast. But a really good sheik player could totally avoid that.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
I'm returning to Yoshi as my secondary after dropping him for a few months. I'm not as in depth with him as I used to be. But I do have a friend who plays Sheik, we both go to tournaments. I do find I have to play more of a patient, "In n' Out" type gameplay. If she tries to needle camp I simply tried to interrupt the charge with eggs. I do a mix up of jumping out of her combos with armored DJ and nair-ing and doing a follow up possibly. I have to chip away at her more than anything and I can't really commit to edge guarding as much as I'd like (which makes me sad as I love air game and edge guarding as a Villager main). Someone said this earlier in this thread but she seems to be the most vulnerable when she is above us, so trying to take advantage of that racks up damage quite easily. And from my personal experience at kill %, challenging a fair with a rouge Up Smash seems to be the most efficient way of killing her other than up air if you can get her back up there. Battlefield doesn't seem all too harmful to us in my opinion because you can double jump out of a combo and have multi places to land on. TnC seems like a double edged sword because you can kill her off the top earlier (and still have platforms to land on fairly easily most of the time) but she can also really give us wings as we fly to our deaths from her up air. I'd say out of all this time searching for a secondary to cover match ups like Sheik, Rosa, and Weegee I do find that Yoshi does very well stand a chance. He isn't nearly as in danger as a character like Villager would be against them. As Yoshi against Sheik, overall, I would try to challenge her at high percents with unexpected Smashes and possibly just beat speed with power. You may take damage in the process but we output more damage than she could and beat her our with sheer power.
Hopefully my input helps, and good luck to us all. :)

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Sheik outranging Yoshi with fairs causes a problem, however Sheik generally struggles to get a kill move out against us.

The matchup requires Yoshi to push the Sheik out of her comfort zone, Yoshi can't win the matchup if Sheik plays defensively as we have nothing that's safe on her shield.

If Sheik is given room to breathe she will settle into a defensive wall of fairs. If the Sheik is clearly trying to play this way then the correct thing to do is to NOT be baited by it. Don't engage her. Throw eggs at her until she approaches you, get under her once then keep her pressured enough to not regain the "fair defence" position. A single airdodge into nair/uair is all you need to get inside her fair wall.

This matchup goes to Sheik if she takes stage control and shuts Yoshi out with Fair. It goes to Yoshi if he takes stage control and shuts Sheik out with pressure, dash attacks and a constant flurry of uairs staying under her and not giving her room to setup her fair wall.

In my honest opinion it's 45:55 in favour of Sheik at worst, only because we're bad in the neutral and Sheik starts from a position she can wall us out. As soon as she starts trading with us that advantage disappears rapidly and the fight descends into a mess of hits and trades.

Advice: Don't ever allow the neutral to reset. Keep this fight an unrelenting mess of traded damage and it works out better for Yoshi.

It only feels like a really hard matchup to many because we don't often get outranged by aerial attacks. It breaks our comfort zone of being lord of the sky.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Since sheik was considered DHD's worst mu I've been using yoshi to counter them. I never lost to a sheik with yoshi so I'm confused why people say he gets wrecked by sheik.

Just don't play her on BF. FD's not great either.
Most Sheiks are bad anywayz, try playin somebody like False/Mr.R or ZeRo and see the difference from okay Sheiks to good sheiks, Ex. A lot of Yoshi's including Poltergeist drowned in pools at CEO facing Sheiks.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Most Sheiks are bad anywayz, try playin somebody like False/Mr.R or ZeRo and see the difference from okay Sheiks to good sheiks, Ex. A lot of Yoshi's including Poltergeist drowned in pools at CEO facing Sheiks.
Yea since posting this I more fully understand why sheik is bad for yoshi. Also simply playing a better character skewed my perception as well.

Top Bottom