• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr.R vs Leo Please Discuss

ChronoMK

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2724-1012-7333
Pretty clear that Mr. R had absolutely no idea what to do in this matchup, but that was so impressive by LEO. Holy **** that was hype.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Pretty clear that Mr. R had absolutely no idea what to do in this matchup, but that was so impressive by LEO. Holy **** that was hype.
He literally said in the interview that he plays Tyrants MK, at CEO he played him as well and won. He knows the MU.

This MK is smart for not taking Sheik to SV.

Last edited:

ChronoMK

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2724-1012-7333
Wait Mr. R lives with Tyrant, so he knows the MK matchup at least better than most people. Is it just he was having a bad day or did LEO really outplay him that hard?

Bercilak

Smash Rookie
Wait Mr. R lives with Tyrant, so he knows the MK matchup at least better than most people. Is it just he was having a bad day or did LEO really outplay him that hard?

Looks like both for sure. Mr. R was throwing out some weird stuff (side-B in the most unsafe situations possible) and not following up on relatively safe combos. On the other hand LEO's approaches were money, and you can tell he knows exactly when the right time to hit those up-airs is, even when factoring in rage.

ChkMte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChckMte
I think Mr. R initially underestimated Leo, and then played defenseively since he became aware of how strong Leo's follow ups were. He played neutral way too passively tho and Leo just pressured him until he was in complete control of the match

M@v

Subarashii!
This is about to get busy with a lot of new MK players who are suddenly fans of the Kirby franchise ヽ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ノ

C3PO

Smash Cadet
NNID
C3POSmash
Not to undermine LEO's skill, but Mr was definitely having a bad day - he had loads of technical inputs which got him killed -i.e. random grenade in the air on game 2 or 3.

This is about to get busy with a lot of new MK players who are suddenly fans of the Kirby franchise ヽ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ノ
I'm a fan of 0-deaths

Last edited by a moderator:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Might wanna rethink that Shiek matchup. If MK can at least go even with the top 2 characters of the game (Shiek, Rosaluma), hes easily in the top 10.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
Leo was playing great, but Mr. R really wasn't. But what I noticed most was that Leo was short hop fast falling a lot.

busken

Smash Ace
idk why mr.r didn't go to battlefield

Leo was playing great, but Mr. R really wasn't. But what I noticed most was that Leo was short hop fast falling a lot.
It's a way of dash dancing in smash 4, you will see ZeRo do it alot. It baits the opponent to approach trying to catch your jump. It also means you are not show active commitment. However, it's still risky, because MK has no safe aerial options outside of n-air which has pretty much no range. So, if he were to do that against like brawl marth that would be trouble.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
I'm seeing so many random people here lol.
I guess you're probably talking about me, I've been playing Meta Knight for about a month, I just don't post on these boards much, mostly the Pikachu one.

Last edited:

GoldenEmp

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4828-5122-6398
Leo is ****ing great. Both of them played before in Winners Semis, and Leo won 2-1, with a dominant 2 stock in game 3. Saying MrR was not playing his best is a John, as he obliterated Waymas (one of the best Warios in the world since Brawl, and one of the most and best campy players I've ever watched) in Losers Semis, and also destroyed Hyuga (best Toon Link in México) in Losers Finals. MrR also didn't drop a game until he faced Leo in WS.

MrR was playing amazingly, but just because he made 2 or 3 mistakes during GF it means he was not having his best day. Leo played incredibly well, getting a lot of reads, and being more dominant and aggressive overall throughout the match. I think he deserves a lot of recognisment.

ChkMte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChckMte
Leo is ****ing great. Both of them played before in Winners Semis, and Leo won 2-1, with a dominant 2 stock in game 3. Saying MrR was not playing his best is a John, as he obliterated Waymas (one of the best Warios in the world since Brawl, and one of the most and best campy players I've ever watched) in Losers Semis, and also destroyed Hyuga (best Toon Link in México) in Losers Finals. MrR also didn't drop a game until he faced Leo in WS.

MrR was playing amazingly, but just because he made 2 or 3 mistakes during GF it means he was not having his best day. Leo played incredibly well, getting a lot of reads, and being more dominant and aggressive overall throughout the match. I think he deserves a lot of recognisment.
While I agree that Mr. R played very well, I also believe he played the matchup wrong. He was playing entirely too passively for a Sheik, and didn't pressure the neutral nearly as hard with needles and Sheik's quick aerials as I would against another meta knight. Now maybe he was aware of something I wasn't and was playing the neutral much better than I'm giving him credit to, either way his overly cautios play may have lost him the game.

Not to take away from Leo though, his follow ups and reads were on fleek. That charged F-smash to catch the spot dodge was amazing and don't get me started on the Lylat game 2 omg

Izaw

Smash Ace
Oh look.. MK won.. a tournament..ahhh.. just as I predicted...

Bet all Brawl Metaknights are gonna pick him up now...

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
There was a distinct lack of usage of jab, tornado, and fsmash in neutral by Leo, all tools which have been generally accepted to be strong and the future of the MK meta. Not sure what this means. I personally believe that Mr. R got complacent and was playing like ass in this matchup and Leo is a pretty good MK player but not anywhere near Ito/Tyrant level skill.

The alternative to that which I'm not willing to accept until I see more and more research is done is that how we've been directing our play and advancing our meta game (with regards to jab, tornado, etc) on this character is incorrect. Because Leo is playing Meta Knight like we're still back in February.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace

Probably not. A lot of people really disliked how much the character changed in Smash 4 and the hype set isn't going to change that for a lot of those people. I do expect to see more Meta Knight players in the future though. People underrated the hell out of the character and he's finally getting the results he deserves. Though speaking of characters who deserve better results, do you ever travel to the states? There are hardly any Link players in this country who get results with that character at all. You're about the only Link player I've seen who is great with the character.

busken

Smash Ace
Can we all take a moment to understand Leo is a 14 year old.
Age is irrelevant in skill level.

OMG it's Izaw! I love your videos man, like those Art of Link and stuff like that!

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Mr.R has extensive knowledge and experience, further brain development and able to adapt faster and usually more accurately. All due to age.
Age doesn't mean ****. Results are results. Natural talent is natural talent. It's impressive that he's this good at the age of 14, but being older isn't an inherent advantage necessarily. In fact in many cases it can be the opposite (joint issues, slower reaction time, getting set in your ways)

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I mean that MrR probably has been more experience than leo due to his age and yet Leo still came out victorious. Im praising his natural raw talent that could blossom even more as he learns more.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Reposting my thoughts
I just watched the VOD of the match. I was disappointed.

Leo's MK is really nicely practiced and his character placement is really solid, jumping over Sheik's N-Airs like that takes skill. His own N-Air placement was pretty on-point, the kid is real good at cross-ups. However Mr.R definitely wasn't on point. He probably doesn't realize MK's a fast-faller in this game because he was whiffing combos left & right and missed a guaranteed Up-Air KO on Lylat. When I heard Leo 2 stocked Mr. R twice, I expect a lot more from Leo rather than seeing Mr.R running into F-Smash and rage Up-Air combos. I'm far more impressed by his skill for his age than I am his MK-play specifically.

That 2nd KO on Lylat was smooooth tho. Hella impressed by that. With my boy Regi at EVO and now Leo putting in work, Mexico is looking pretty strong. Shame Leo doesn't have a visa to travel to the US. He's definitely a top MK.
The most important thing to take away from that event is that he's so skilled yet so young, the character he beat Mr. R with matters very little in comparison. Leo could be the next Nairo.

Though, the amount of people flocking to the MK board today concerns me. I really hope no one thinks that MK is a free ride based on Leo's play.

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
I'm pretty happy to see someone show people the potential of Meta-Knight, I always thought he was super underrated in this game. As a huge Kirby series fan I've always messed around with Meta-Knight in this game but I might start looking at him more seriously as maybe a secondary now that I can see what type of things you can do with this character at a high level and how to use him at a high level.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I'm pretty happy to see someone show people the potential of Meta-Knight, I always thought he was super underrated in this game. As a huge Kirby series fan I've always messed around with Meta-Knight in this game but I might start looking at him more seriously as maybe a secondary now that I can see what type of things you can do with this character at a high level and how to use him at a high level.
My advice: MK is a fickle mistress. If you want to be successful on this character, it should be your main.

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
If I get good enough with him who knows haha

But my heart has always been with Dedede, hes probably my favorite video game character overall tbqh

busken

Smash Ace
I am also very impressed by Leo's skill level and despite I'm just only 2 years older I'm eons away from his skill level. This is really big motivation for players in general to get step up your game and keep practicing. I gotta give it up for Mr.R, If I lost to somebody 8 years younger then me I'd be crushed.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
"Mr R had no MU exp"

Tyrant is his room mate, plays him frequently. bang bang

"Mr R wasn't playing well"

Leo sent him to losers 2-1(wasn't on stream), but i guess he played 'bad' in that one because of reasons. bang bang

Though, the amount of people flocking to the MK board today concerns me. I really hope no one thinks that MK is a free ride based on Leo's play.
Doubt people are that dumb man, notice how the best MKs are MK mains. I've yet to see a pocket MK do anything great, half the lurkers are simply interested in the character since Leo won two nationals with only MK.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I am also very impressed by Leo's skill level and despite I'm just only 2 years older I'm eons away from his skill level. This is really big motivation for players in general to get step up your game and keep practicing. I gotta give it up for Mr.R, If I lost to somebody 8 years younger then me I'd be crushed.
That's stupid.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Why worry? This character isn't braindead easy like Mario. People who want quick results will leave, people who actually like MK for his gameplay are finally giving him a fair try instead of instantly dismissing him as garbage. That and MK games are much more fun to spectate than... a lot of the cast.

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Mr. R just choked hard in this one, no Fair spacing half the time just eating Dash attack Shuttle loops.
Probably didn't know how to DI them either :^)

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Ito and Tyrant have been buttering me up to try him for like two months. Leo just gave me the last convincing I needed, I'm loving it so far.

Top Bottom