• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset (Insane?)

Lord Redwall

Smash Cadet
Looks like he might be worse then IC in the way that they can be come de-synced..

Discuss.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Um...this has been under discussion for ages...

I'm sure some of it will eventually make it's way out of the other uber thread, though. Check out Vali's amazing moveset.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps they don't fight as separate characters but instead they are used for his attacks. Just throwing out ideas.

TheLake

Smash Master
Hes gonna be an oddball alright...go sakuri! A worthy b-day present indeed (;

I can see olimar using a sort of PT fighting style. Swapping with pikmin and all. But hey maybe he'll pull a dedede and give us somthing to look forward to tommorow

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
By "worse than the ICs" do you mean worse for the opponent? Because desynch combos are amazing with them, and this could get even more ridiculous.

MSS

Smash Cadet
Perhaps they don't fight as separate characters but instead they are used for his attacks. Just throwing out ideas.
Yea, they're definitely just used in his attacks...but it seems like they can be KOd...and when they do get KOd...I don't see Olimar doing much.

G-X

Smash Apprentice
B: Pikmin seed
Down-B: Pull a Pikmin outta the ground
Side-B: Throw a Pikmin (Yellow ones go farther)
Up-B: ?

Brasil

Smash Cadet
I have this feeling that Down+B will be used to pluck Pikmin from the ground.

Olimar will start the match with all five Pikmin or the three originals (Red, Blue, Yellow). When they get knocked away, use vB to pull up another one.

When it comes to damage, he'll be wicked strong when he's got all five around. I'm not dismayed quite yet, but the potential for a gimp character is certainly there.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
I can see a flood of pikmin coming from all sides and attacking everything they get near

When it comes to damage, he'll be wicked strong when he's got all five around. I'm not dismayed quite yet, but the potential for a gimp character is certainly there.
Most likely the purple ones will do extra damage, and the white ones will do less.

Jamel

Smash Rookie
Wonder how strong will the pikimin I'm hoping not to crazy strong. Would be intersting if you need 3 or 5 pikmin out to do some of the smash attack.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Olimar won't rise above middle tier, even if he is awesomely strong and fast. Making the Pikmin a vital part of his moveset (He can't even smash without them!) will only make him worse in the long run.
There are ways to balance Olimar out, though. Let's hope that Sakurai has found them.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Doesn't sound that bad if you ask me. He'll likely only to to press down B to replace a lost pikmin. That would only take a second and I don't see that particular aspect hurting him. I'd be more concerned about weight/recovery,blah,blah.

I'm not btw.

5@/\/\U5

Smash Apprentice
I picture an AWESOME looking tether recovery that is most effective with all 5 pikmin (longest chain to pkmin to hold onto)

very excited about Olimar

courte

Smash Lord
Olimar won't rise above middle tier, even if he is awesomely strong and fast. Making the Pikmin a vital part of his moveset (He can't even smash without them!) will only make him worse in the long run.
There are ways to balance Olimar out, though. Let's hope that Sakurai has found them.
just wow you win hell have fun

Chepe

Smash Lord
Im thinking his B move wont have anything to do with Pikmin, because of Kirby. I mean, what would Kirby do with Pikmin? And then theres the taunting ability-off issue...

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Im thinking his B move wont have anything to do with Pikmin, because of Kirby. I mean, what would Kirby do with Pikmin? And then theres the taunting ability-off issue...
I agree with this, his B can't be his whistle, that's why I think it would be plucking a Pikmin, instead of his Down-B.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
Sakurai said:
Without Pikmin, Olimar can’t even do a Smash Attack.
I think that his smash attacks involve hitting people with pikmin.

If each Pikmin has a shield omg, light shielding with them, while normal shielding with olimar like you do with the Ics will **** l-canceling.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Huh? But Kirby would pluck Pikmin for nothing! He has is own A moves and grab and such! They would just follow him uselessly, one would think. What would happen to the Pikmin if Kirby taunted?

I think Olimar's B will have nothing to do with Pikmin whatsoever. But perhaps Sakurai will go all the way and add new animations for Kirby when he has Pikmin out...

Mexican Brawler

Smash Cadet
i think that Olimar can be one of two.... one of the funny character or the worst!... i really think that will be incredible funny... i really want to se the Pikmins souls when they die, i hope Sakurai include that.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
*ehem* May I? (I love doing this)...

Possible Moveset:

Captain Olimar

Weight: 2
Size: 2
Strength: 3
Speed: 3
Reach: 2.5

Star of the Pikmin series Olimar is one heck of a fella. In just a few hours he manages to enslave a race of kind-natured flower people, abuse them by throwing them at things to get
his slave labour done and even has them killing the local wildlife in order to recycle their corpses for making more Pikmin (who are born into slavery). That's just Pikmin 1 though, he does it again in Pikmin 2 but this time in order to pay off a big loan his company has racked up. Just to give you an idea, as explained in the introduction, 100 "pokos" is over 1 year's salary and the aim of Pikmin 2 is to clear the remainder of the debt of 10,000 pokos, that's like...over 100 years salary. Talk about badass, Ganondorf can eat his heart out. Being first party and a game that has produced nothing but excellent titles since Pikmin 1 and 2 were 9.0 and 9.2 games on Gamespot and I think even higher on IGN, 3 on Wii is practically a dead cert. To make the games sell even better, what better than to include the protagonist in Brawl to promote the franchise?

Onto the actual moveset though, the majority of the uniqueness of Olimar would be his Pikmin buddies. After all, it's the game's focus and Olimar's primary way of whooping ***. He can actually fight himself, the Pikmin aren't necessary for him to fight (although incredibly necessary to complete the game, obviously) and so he's more than Brawl-worthy.
I should start off by explaining that there are 5 different kind of Pikmin that you can use primarily in Pikmin 2 and 2 unique but not really obtainable Pikmin in 1 and 2. These 5 main ones are Red, Yellow, Blue, White and Purple. Each have different strengths and weaknesses and like in Pikmin they'll be gotten by plucking them from the ground, but Olimar will start with 4 randomly generated Pikmin in order to not completely gimp him.

The Different Pikmin

You can have up to 15 Pikmin at one time. Oh and I better mention that pikmin when in the air are hapless. No, they can't DI, don't be silly. I should also note that any Pikmin currently engaging in hostile acts on an opponent can't be used in Olimar's attacks, even if they are in range.

Basic Pikmin Mechanics: When thrown will attack and follow the closest target, like in Pikmin, however if the closest target is Olimar they will return to his side. Pikmin come in the 3 different stages of evolution: Leaf, Bud and Flower. Leaf is the most basic, a bud will increase their attack speed by 0.2 seconds and runspeed slightly, while a flower will increase their runspeed slightly, attack speed by a further 0.2 seconds and damage 1%. If a Pikmin lands on you, depending on their weight your runspeed and jump height will be lowered slighty. To rid yourself of a Pikmin, waggle the analogue stick <-, ->, <-, ->. While a Pikmin is attached to you it's attack speed increases slightly by 0.3 seconds. Pikmin evolve by being used in a killing move or after every 15 hits.

Reddy!

Attack Speed: 1.5 seconds
Damage: 3% per hit.
Weight: 2.5
Immunities: Fire/Explosions
Special Abilities: None
Takes knockback proportionate to weight and 175% of Olimar's Damage (so if Olimar was on 100% and you smashed a red pikmin, he would get knocked back as if he was of weight 2.5 on 175% damage)

Most basic Pikmin and the first you get, they are also the strongest of the original trio of Yellow, Red and Blue. Immune to fire and so immune to explosions aka. bomb-ombs.

Yellowy!

Attack Speed: 1.2 seconds
Damage: 2%
Weight: 2
Immunities: Lightning
Takes knockback proportionate to weight and 200% of Olimar's Damage (so if Olimar was on 100% and you smashed a yellow pikmin, he would get knocked back as if he was of weight 2 on 200% damage)

The 2nd type of Pikmin you are introduced to in Pikmin 1, Yellow's are the lightest are thus are capable of being thrown the furthest. Immune to lightning attacks such as PK Thunder.

Bluey!

Attack Speed: 1.5 seconds
Damage: 2%
Weight: 3.5
Immunities: Water
Takes knockback proportionate to weight and 125% of Olimar's Damage (so if Olimar was on 100% and you smashed a blue pikmin, he would get knocked back as if he was of weight 3 on 150% damage)

3rd regular type of Pikmin and the last one found in Pikmin 1. Able to withstand water attacks such as Blastoise (if he's back in Brawl :(). Slightly heavier than the other 2 and cannot be thrown as far.

Sorry for the terrible, terrible picture. Honestly, there was no good ones of the blue Pikmin >.>

Whitey! (aka. the Albino Pikmin)

Attack Speed: 1.0 seconds
Damage: 1%
Weight: 3
Speed: 5
Immunities: Poison
Special Abilities: 3% chance on hit poison which deals 2% damage every second for 5 seconds. If ingested (a la Kirby or Yoshi's swallow moves), that opponent is automatically poisoned.
Takes knockback proportionate to weight and 150% of Olimar's Damage (so if Olimar was on 100% and you smashed a white pikmin, he would get knocked back as if he was of weight 3 on 150% damage)

This one seriously scares the crap out of me. Just don't look into it's eyes! Fastest of all the Pikmin and is partially made of toxins I believe. Immune to poison (since it's body contains it) and so immune to poison mushrooms.

Purpley! (aka. the Sumo Pikmin)

Attack Speed: 2 seconds
Damage: 4%
Weight: 4.5
Speed: 1
Immunities: None
Special Abilities: Apart from being the fattest son'of'a... around, none
Takes knockback proportionate to weight and 75% of Olimar's Damage (so if Olimar was on 100% and you smashed a purple pikmin, he would get knocked back as if he was of weight 5 on 75% damage)

This guy seriously puts on a pound a minute. Even throwing him near an enemy stuns them in Pikmin 2. Obviously has the highest weight and damage at the cost of speed and throwing distance, these guys are heavy brawlers and cause the most slowing and jump height reduction when thrown onto someone. As hard as they are to knock away, they don't have any immunities (except to indigestion).

Good so far eh? We're just getting started!

The Actual Moveset

Finally, onto Olimar's actual moves. That's a lot of information to get down before you can even get onto this stuff, if Sakurai ever finds this moveset and thinks "Wow, that's such an excellent idea!" he'll put it in manual. I hope.

A moves

A - Right fisted punch - 2%, loooooooow knockback
AA - Left fisted punch - 2% loooooooooow knockback
AAA - Olimar's special Rocket Punch(tm)(R)...maybe not...Olimar sticks out both his fists in a double fisted punch of glory - 4% med-low knockback
Dash A - Rush Boots, you slide at 1.5 times your running speed for a short distance, semi-bad wind-down lag though - 8% medium knockback
A -> tilt - Headbutt - 10%, medium knockback
A^ tilt - Rising headbutt - 9% medium knockback
Av - Pik-a-grab, grabs a Pikmin and sweeps out the opponents feet. Knockback, speed and damage vary on the Pikmin sweeping with, ranging from 6%->10%, low -> med-high knockback.

A -> Smash - Swing-a-pik, for every 3 pikmin, Olimar grabs a random pikmin by the flower (so cruel) and swings them forward. Damage is 10% + the damage of each pikmin, knockback and speed again depends on the type of Pikmin and the number. If no pikmin are near, Olimar hits for 10%.

A^ Smash - Soar-a-pik, for every 5 pikmin, Olimar grabs a random pikmin by the flower and swings them in an arc upwards. 10% + pikmin damage, speed and knockback variable. If no pikmin are near, Olimar hits for 10%.

Av Smash - Kik-a-pik, All the pikmin around him kick (both sides, so it wouldn't be 15 pikmin on 1 side kicking) for their base damage with good knockback, if no pikmin are currently following Olimar, he does a 360 floor sweep for 8% with low-med knockback.

Nair - Spins around - 2% each hit with low knockback, last one has medium knockback
Bair - Donkey kick - 5% good knockback
Uair - Somersault kick (he's had zero g training after all) - 6% medium knockback
Dair - Mid-air headbutt (kinda like a reverse of his Uair and instead of kicking them, thwacks them with his helmet) - 5%, meteor
Fair - Your standard kick - 5% medium knockback

B moves

These are probably going to be a bit more indepth.

B - Ye olde "Whistle" - Olimar uses this to command his little buddies. Tapping B will make a short shrill whistle noise which is the go ahead for the pikmin to change the order in which they are standing, meaning you can select which pikmin are closest to you at any given time by taps of B. The default formation is Purple -> White -> Red -> Blue -> Yellow and will change as such so the front goes to the back (ie. W->R->B->Y->P is the next formation). Formations are there to give you greater control over which Pikmin you are throwing and with practice will become second nature, even in the heat of a battle, and like everything would just take practice getting used to managing them.

Holding down B will make all pikmin in 4 body-lengths of Olimar will attempt to make their way back to his side. While holding down B (so after 1/2 -> 3/4 of a second), Olimar is forced to continue to whistle for the remainder of 2 seconds and is unable to move or attack during this time.

B -> - Hurl-a-Pik - Throws a pikmin, how hard depends on how far you tilt the control stick. They follow a set trajectory of the classic arc, and will also go different distances depending on their weight. Holding the control stick full tilt and throwing a purple pikmin will yield roughly the same result as throwing a yellow pikmin at under half tilt.

B^ - Dolphin Rocket - Olimar's rocket is also his recovery move! Upon using this move Olimar is instant in his rocket which moves on a shaky trajectory diagonally upwards. You can also control this a little, such as veer it in a direction. Any surrounding pikmin which are falling relatively near to Olimar are taken up in the Onions around the S.S. Dolphin. Upon moving for 1.5 seconds or so, the dolphin explodes out of habit sending 3 randomly generated parts upwards, diagonally down to the right and diagonally down to the left. These parts are parts which you collect from Olimar's ship in Pikmin 1 and all do 5% damage except the secret safe which does 8% and the Massage Machine and the Space Float (with lower chances of appear) which do a healthy 10%.

Bv - Pick-a-Pik - Probably the most complicated one of all that will take some time to explain. Pick-a-Pik works as sectioned areas of each stage where each section has a 60% common chance and 40% uncommon chance of plucking 2 different kinds of Pikmin. Battlefield for example might be split into 5 different sections, the 3 different platforms and the main floor split in half. On these sections 2 types of Pikmin can be plucked (skilled Olimar's will know which Pikmin to get where on each stage) in those 2 percentages but the rarer Pikmin (white and purple) can only ever occur as 40% uncommon chances, so a purple/white or white/purple combination won't happen, but a red/blue could.

To actually pick the Pikmin, Olimar must hold down and press B at which point it will take 2 seconds to pick a Leaf Pikmin form that area. Subsequent presses of B (while still holding down) will yield Pikmin at 1 second delays. The first 2 Pikmin to be picked will be Leaf Pikmin, the next 3 will be Bud Pikmin and all subsequent Pikmin will be Flower Pikmin, up to the maximum of 15 Pikmin. If you start picking with 0 Pikmin, it's possible to pick up to 10 Flower Pikmin.

Grab moves

A (while holding) - Sly dig - 3%
Forward - Bum's rush, 1-3 Pikmin by Olimar grab the opponent and do the Bum's rush on him ::chuckle: (6-9% high knockback), no Pikmin and Olimar weakly attempts it himself resulting in 3% damage and low knockback

Back - Pik-a-Swing, 1-3 Pikmin grab the opponent's feet and swing him backwards for 5-8% damage and med-high knockback, if no Pikmin, Olimar attempts to do it by himself for 3% damage and low-med knockback.

Down - Pik-a-pounce, Olimar throws the opponent to the floor, 1-6 Pikmin + Olimar jump on one end of the floored opponent for half their totaled base damage + 3% and med-high knockback depending on Pikmin weights. If no Pikmin, Olimar once again foolishly attempts it by himself and doesn't get very far, 3% damage and very low knockback.

Up - Pik-a-Punch, Olimar releases the opponent and uppercuts them at the same time as 1-5 Pikmin. Damage and knockback depends on Pikmin's strength. If no Pikmin, Olimar does it by himself for 3% damage and low knockback.

Final Smash Move

Pikmin Bomb Squad!

The S.S. Dolphin flies in from the top left of the screen over the battlefield and exits again to the top right, pausing only to fire the Nova Blaster down on Olimer's position. Any enemies caught in the dazzling beam are stunned as if their shield was broken. Any yellow pikmin bathed in the light acquire bomb rocks with a minimum of 3. If 3 yellow pikmin aren't present, 3 random pikmin caught in the light will be transformed into yellow bomb pikmin and if 3 pikmin aren't present (if any), then any pikmin caught in the light will be transformed and up to 3 bomb pikmin appear to a maximum of 3 in total. However, if 15 pikmin of that Olimer are present on the battlefield but none caught in the beam, the bomb pikmin will not appear.

Yellow bomb pikmin are able to be thrown as far as regular yellow pikmin and if they land on an opponent after being thrown will automatically explode for 15% damage and high knockback and the pikmin will automatically be star-ko'd. A yellow bomb pikmin will give chase to any opponents they land near like regular pikmin, but instead will self-detonate (star-ko'ing itself) and do 10% damage and med-high knockback. If the opponent attempts to evade the pikmin and succeeds (so the pikmin cannot follow), he will attempt to throw the bomb rock at the opponent with a good degree of precision for 7% damage and med knockback but unfortunately not a star-ko :(.

Taunt

All the pikmin by Olimar's side line up facing the screen and do the leaf-mexican-wave from the good ending of Pikmin 1, speed varies on how many pikmin are in the line as to always be the same amount of time for the taunt. If no pikmin are by Olimar's side, he looks left, then right (as if looking for the pikmin) and then bows his head (in realisation that he's all alone *tear*).​

I don't think Olimar's standard special will involve his Pikmin because then it would be useless for Kirby to copy. I predict the Rocket Punch upgrade from Pikmin 2. That's my two cents.

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
That moveset is very interesting, but I doubt anything like weakness, resistance, or immunity would be brought into play at this point (it never was for the Pokemon, and seems like a needless complication).

One thing I hope Olimar's moveset incorporates is being able to "tell the Pikmin" to stand somewhere, and they just stand there and you can use certain moves to make all the standing Pikmin do the same attack at the same time. Or maybe even a way to switch from controlling Olimar to controlling your set of Pikmin directly, though that could be cumbersome and less intuitive.

Clumber

Smash Cadet
For his sideB he should blow his whistle and all the pikmin charge in the direction that you point, attacking the enemies.

For his downB he would obviously pluck pikmin out of the ground.

For his regular B he should throw his picmin in the directin he's facing in a small arc. When the pikmin lands it whould attack whoever's closest (Kirby could just kind of have pikmin appear out of nowhere)

I'm not sure about his upB. I thought about the throwing one for this, but then he wouldn't have very good recovery...

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I was right about Olimar being like a Warlock.... he has DOTs HAHHAA.

Man, looks frantic to me but I bet hes gonna be so fun to play.

-Onyx

Tony_

Smash Ace
Go get glasses.
Already beat ya to it.

Seriously tho, Olimar is too dependant on the Pikmin for his attacks. If he has none, he loses nearly half his move set.

The only way Olimar can be a potentially good character depends on how much lag his normal special has. If its a slightly large ammount, forget it. If its a small ammount, he has a chance.

metalx42

Smash Rookie
olimars moves are sweet and awesome but he has limited attack strength so it relys strongly on ur strategie but on the plus side its impossible to button mash with lol :)

Heretique

Smash Apprentice
In Melee, Olimar would suck, but Brawl isn't Melee, so we'll see how it goes!

Top Bottom