• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset Differences

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone notice anything different?

It seemed that his up aerial is faster.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't see any completely new moves, but he seems to have gotten quite the buff.

His down-tilt now sets nicely up for a combo(!), his up-air looks to hit better, u-tilt has a better range (feet gets bigger) and he can now cancel faster into his Up-B. In general it also seems like he has more knockback

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Good points, both of you. If Sonic's moveset doesn't get that big of a buff, though, then at least the gameplay would be a major buff in and of itself, right?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Good points, both of you. If Sonic's moveset doesn't get that big of a buff, though, then at least the gameplay would be a major buff in and of itself, right?

Only time will tell but from what we've seen his combo power is improved.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Looks like his moveset is unchanged. Still has Spin Dash, Spin Charge and Homing Attack.

Oh well, it looks like he got a buff anyhow. His attacks link together neatly now and he seems to have better knockback.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
It looked like dair sent more sideways than up, however we should take angles with a grain of salt because i'm assuming no real DI is going on or could be the wrong DI -_-;;

SonicMario

Smash Master
You have to remember this isn't the final product. They could have time to tweak Sonic some more by the time the finished product is out. It's not the same as it was in Brawl. When he came in late, he can be more planned out this time.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
On the part that he dodged samus charge-shot thats a new move

And you know sidestepping is down and rolling on left and right

Maybe its a new mechanic of an up while shielding compared too the left/right/down while shielding

BSP

Smash Legend
It looked like dair sent more sideways than up, however we should take angles with a grain of salt because i'm assuming no real DI is going on or could be the wrong DI -_-;;

Mario pivot grabbed though...maybe they know what they're doing?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

Dair sends opponents horizontally during the first few frames. It's about a quarter second later when the Dair sends them upward.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
A D-Air that always sends foes horizontally sound disgusting good considering how fast Sonic can chase them. That is assuming Sonic can still D-Air off-stage to edge-guard and still Spring in time to survive. It's a nice setup in Brawl but is limited by exactly what Sonic Storm said above.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think his spin charge will definitely be replaced with something else.
But the properties of some of his moves like his down air seems to have changed

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Not sure if it applies with moveset differences but he looks like he plays slower now. Like, not running speed, but his attacks.
I know he didn't have moves that were that fast in Brawl but it doesn't seem like their speed were buffed or changed much to me.
Then again the people they always show playing in the trailers are most likely not even that good at the game and don't follow up on most things unless they try showing off like a single basic combo, so there's that too.
Here's hoping he has more combo ability and KO moves, and just overall better gameplay from Brawl. That goes for every other character too of course.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
On the pilots wing stage when he uses his Spin Dash the trajectory looks odd to me, far flatter and falling quicker, and the start up lag seems to be longer... is that my imagination?

I personally hope it means Spin Charge can be directed (and into a hop for the end) to free up a slot for a boost move, but I think honestly I'm just seeing things because of that.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
we still have yet to see his dash attack forward air neutral air up smash down smash and forward tilt. They have the ending frames of forward smash in the screen shot with mario using jab on the site. But hopefully they give him atleast one new move or alter his animations in some way to make it less like a complete copy/paste. Though the game still is in development and sonic is still missing a lot of facial expressions. Theres a screen shot of him on the site that has the animation when he gets hit but his facial expression still has that same normal smile. We also havent seen any of his throws yet.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Eeven if Sonic wasn't changed, the faster gameplay would probably serve to his advantage anyway.

I'm not very big on analysing this stuff, but it does look like his attacks are faster and chain together easier, which is definitely a good thing. My biggest issue with Sonic was that despite having the fastest running speed his attacks weren't as fast as I felt they should be, and I think he's definitely been improved in that area. It's too hard to tell from just gameplay footage, though.

peeup

Smash Lord
Have all the revealed vets had videos to accompany them? Where did people find the Sonic one? I can't find it on the Smashbros website.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm wrong but at the moment where he hits Fox and DK with a spin charge thingie at the end of the animation looks like a sliding kick. Might just be animation, but it looks like it did more knockback and was a hit of its own, kind of like the attack in Project M.
...hmm...nah nevermind I think it was just his animation for stopping the spin dash. He could use a few small changes though...

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Have all the revealed vets had videos to accompany them? Where did people find the Sonic one? I can't find it on the Smashbros website.
It was shown on the recent Nintendo Direct. Sonic is the only one to get a video because he's kind of a big deal since so many doubted his return

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Can anyone identify the turquoise blast-thing in this picture?

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Some Lost World inspiration could definitely go a long way, like making his homing attack lock onto multiple opponents or using the kick to send them flying into other enemies

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i just hope down b and side b arnt the same move again.

as for the turquoise stuff, it looks like the impact wave, like when you hit the ground hard, a flash of color emanates from where you landed.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Please put the Video in the Original Post!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7w5XUPHFoY

I didn't realize there was footage outside of the nintendo direct vid.
All the smash bros related vids can be found on SmashbrosCh
However, if ya try to visit this channel it just links ya back to Nintendo's youtube channel. How the hell did they even do that?

Anyway
On the part that he dodged samus charge-shot thats a new move

And you know sidestepping is down and rolling on left and right

Maybe its a new mechanic of an up while shielding compared too the left/right/down while shielding
I was wonderin what was up with that move too. He starts skidding on his feet but then jumps mid-skid into a dodge.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
i just hope down b and side b arnt the same move again.

as for the turquoise stuff, it looks like the impact wave, like when you hit the ground hard, a flash of color emanates from where you landed.
Sorry look at the second megaman and mario part thats the charge up down b and pyrosphere and the wii resort island part side b

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sorry guys, there is absolutely nothing new in that trailer.

The "sliding kick" is just sonic uptilting after his spindash ran out because he turned around and hit multiple objects.

The move that dodged the charge shot is just a short hop airdodge, same exact animations from brawl. He was running around and jumped and airdodged, which anyone can do any time while running.

Still a long time until launch, hopefully some changes come to the vets.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
My hopes for Sonic for now are..giving him a dropkick..similiar to the move he does on the box art of Sonic Battle. He's the perfect character to give a meteor smash to.

D

Deleted member

I haven't noticed any as of yet. He looks to be about the same as he was in Brawl so far. Though, I find the physics change will buff Sonic.

You should also keep in mind that Sakurai did say on Peach's Pic of the Day that her moves might get refreshed before the game is released. So, I think the same will apply to Sonic where he will get some new moves eventually. I'm gonna be optimistic towards this since Sakurai and his team have more time to fix up Sonic's moveset now.

Top Bottom