• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moves and general impressions

Sliverstorm

Smash Cadet
So, after reading through this subsection of the board I have realized people don't seem to know much about Toon Link. Well, here's my 2 cents. (note I was not methodically recording data, this is just what I remember and impressions)

sideb: still boomerang. Behaves like old big link boomerang
upb: spin attack. Keeps them in like young link, but when in the air seems to be more like old big link. doesn't spike ppl who climb onto the ledge any more
downb: bombs as always. Seem to do decent damage. No complaints :p
neutralb: arrows. they go quite straight even without a charge. No more of that 'charge to make it go father'

upa: swipe
sidea: slashes, comboed up to 3 hits
downa: you know what it is :)

usmash: just one swipe. Threw me off at first, but really good knockback at high dmg, and since u don't get stuck doing 3, you're not vulnerable
side smash: like young link's. GREAT knockback on second hit, it's my primary kill

fair: slash
bair: slash
nair: swings his sword about him
uair: same old, but I have a really hard time hitting with it as compared to big link from olde, and it doesn't seem to hurt as much or have as much kickback

now the key everyone seems to be wondering about:
dair: he does the swordplant pose and IMMEDIATELY drops down from above. Faster than a FF. When he hits someone in the air, it's a guaranteed spike. You can bounce, but the attack ends after the 2nd hit. I find if I hit a sheilder, after I bounce and drop on him again I'll hit. recovery is quick, but not lightning fast. hard to do from way high above cause they see it and get out of the way. (you cannot direct yourself left or right)
works for spiking ppl offstage, but if you miss, you're dead.

I like him more than new Link. New link's crummy boomerang is very frustrating, his up b feels like it's been nerfed. Toon Link does not feel like he's lacking power like young link felt to me, and he is really really fast. Basically
Pros:
he is so much faster :)
spike on dair
did i mention he is faster?
shorter dair recovery time

Cons:
Spin attack doesn't seem as good anymore, and it doesn't seem to be able to edgeguard well
FF dair- a lot of missing at first
hookshot is shorter
lighter (but note, I did not feel like i was dying too early. He is lighter and floatier, but it wasn't to the point I found it a real problem)
MY SWORD IS SO SHORT!!!! :( going back to big link felt so good, using my big ol sword to beat people over the head with! but it seems like the trade (primarily sword length and damage) for speed are worth it.

Overall, my feeling can be summed up like this:
He is the right blend between old melee Link and old melee young link. I played link, and young link was always to far gone from 'Link'. Toon link feels less so while still being effectively a small link.

So, that's it for now. Just mah 2 cents :)

Fawriel

Smash Master
There goes the bootwall... ye shall be missed.

Thank you for the impressions, though!
So the dair spikes every time? That's interesting... I thought I heard that it usually does horizontal knockback...

So, does he still have the down-tilt meteor? And is it still as easy to escape from the first hit of the fsmash?

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
From what I've seen, the dair can spike or do horizontal knockback. I believe I've seen both of them. I figured it was an issue with sweetspot.

Yeah, darn bootwall.....apparently we got a really good bair to replace the boots though, so cheer up!

Sliverstorm

Smash Cadet
bair is pretty useful, I have realized I didn't use it enough :) I need to try to use it more.
as for direction, if you come down on top of them when they are in the air, I don't remember anything but them going straight down O.o

Idk about the meteor, I'll check
as for escaping first hit of fsmash, no. Nobody manages to get away. It's def. more like lil' links fsmash than regular link.

Sliverstorm

Smash Cadet
not particularly (sorry for not checking back sooner!)
I am not the best at grabbing, so I don't get to use it often, but the only notable difference is it's harder to catch them after the grab (like old grab-up-spin attack sort of things)

Iwan

Smash Ace
Totally agree TC.

Toon Link is my favorite char so far. His dair is pretty useful (if you abuse it you'll get burned though), and his bair is one of the better combo starters in the game imo. My only gripe is his tiny sword...: /

Top Bottom