• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I could see it work, but considering that Rosalina doesn't have completely modeled legs...

...I don't see it happening. I don't see the biker outfit happening either. So far, the only possible alt would be the Cosmic Spirit (and maybe Rosalina with a ponytail).
That's because all we've seen is the unfinished game... I'm absolutely sure they will model the rest of her legs

SmashSage

Smash Rookie
I could see it work, but considering that Rosalina doesn't have completely modeled legs...

...I don't see it happening. I don't see the biker outfit happening either. So far, the only possible alt would be the Cosmic Spirit (and maybe Rosalina with a ponytail).
I'm the only one who thinks Rosalina's texture is lame? I've already said this before but here I go again: Both Zelda and Peach have detailed texture designs under her dresses since Melee, I don't understand that is not the case with Rosalina in a game that is supposed to be in HD, they just limited to put a f***ing black void and a mediocre design of her legs that apparently can cross her gown in the middle of the battle. Sorry but this really really bothers me, I think this is an epic fail of the graphic designers.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Remember, what we've seen so far may be subject to change. Model rigging a dress is a very tedious job after all.
And I hope it's still subject to change. That way there may be hope for Rosalina to have a different Nair instead of that weird Charizard-like flip. I can only hope they change it to the Spin Attack so Rosalina can have some extra aerial time and recovery options.

As for model rigging, I know what you mean. I even replaced Peach's MP9 model with Rosalina's and that took a pretty long time. I don't plan on releasing the model hack. Her dress in the E3 demo slightly looks rigged differently (a lot better). The picture I posted was from the Smash Direct and you can see that the underside of her dress sticks out a little, but that wasn't present at E3.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina didn't have her legs fully modelled in her default outfit in Super Mario 3D World or Mario Kart 8, so I'm kinda losing hope for that in Smash Bros.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Rosalina didn't have her legs fully modelled in her default outfit in Super Mario 3D World or Mario Kart 8, so I'm kinda losing hope for that in Smash Bros.
This is pretty much the case across the board with her models. In Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy, you can see her legs aren't completely modeled, and since it's been that way from the beginning, I don't see it changing. You can also see this in the 3DS version.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The reason they do it is as a censoring thing, so you can't see her undergarments the odd time that the camera angle would normally present such an oppurtunity. They do this with Peach in the main series Mario games too.

Smash Bros allows you to see Peach's full legs, including her panties, because the game is intended for an older audience, and Peach's personality is much more coy and flirty in Smash Bros, compared to her sweet and innocent demeanour in the majority of Mario games. Being able to see her panties helps her sex appeal that she's evidently given in Smash Bros.

I can only assume that they don't want Rosalina to be looked at as a sexually appealing character, and simply beautiful in a non-sexual, aesthetic sense, and that's why they censor her even in Smash (even though Peach isn't censored this time around either - hell, even Peach's Amiibo figure has her full legs and panties modelled in...).

Rosalina is sexually appealing more so than Peach is in the main series as it is, though, even though it's not necessarily intentional (...though the Iwata Asks interview for 3D World hints at the creators having some naughty thoughts about Rosalina). People play as Rosalina and her biker outfit in MK8 for a good reason. Plus, her MK8 promotional render makes me think of those sexy biker models you often see, with the way she's posed, and the fact that she is leaning against a badass looking vehicle.

However, I don't take issue with Rosalina's undergarments being censored, just the way they do it is kinda disturbing. It makes the inside of her gown look like one of those cheap McDonald's toys, where the inside of a female character's dress is only HALF hollow, at the bottom. So her legs just awkwardly stick out of something that looks plastic:

I'd prefer if the inside of her gown actually had an animated cosmic texture, and then the upper part of her legs had an animated cosmic cloud or "milky way" effect. Or if her legs just faded out into the cosmos, which goes well with Sakurai's comment about her having the cosmos beneath her gown.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I'd prefer if the inside of her gown actually had an animated cosmic texture, and then the upper part of her legs had an animated cosmic cloud or "milky way" effect. Or if her legs just faded out into the cosmos, which goes well with Sakurai's comment about her having the cosmos beneath her gown.
That's what I'd want to see done with her dress. I looked at Peach's Mario Party 9 model and the from the legs to the hips, it fades to a dark pinkish color. Something similar can be done with Rosalina. I hope they make the underside of Rosalina's dress animated to look like the cosmos, and it should be a bit brighter to see the stars.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The reason they do it is as a censoring thing, so you can't see her undergarments the odd time that the camera angle would normally present such an oppurtunity. They do this with Peach in the main series Mario games too.

Smash Bros allows you to see Peach's full legs, including her panties, because the game is intended for an older audience, and Peach's personality is much more coy and flirty in Smash Bros, compared to her sweet and innocent demeanour in the majority of Mario games. Being able to see her panties helps her sex appeal that she's evidently given in Smash Bros.

I can only assume that they don't want Rosalina to be looked at as a sexually appealing character, and simply beautiful in a non-sexual, aesthetic sense, and that's why they censor her even in Smash (even though Peach isn't censored this time around either - hell, even Peach's Amiibo figure has her full legs and panties modelled in...).

Rosalina is sexually appealing more so than Peach is in the main series as it is, though, even though it's not necessarily intentional (...though the Iwata Asks interview for 3D World hints at the creators having some naughty thoughts about Rosalina). People play as Rosalina and her biker outfit in MK8 for a good reason. Plus, her MK8 promotional render makes me think of those sexy biker models you often see, with the way she's posed, and the fact that she is leaning against a badass looking vehicle.
To be honest I do not see the sex appeal peach is "evidently given" in Smash Bros, or in any other game. Neither do I see any way in which Rosalina is designed to be sexually appealing in the main series - the MK8 promotional render goes there but I would not consider Mario Kart main series.

Whilst I admittedly do not own Mario Kart 8 (Because I feel they've messed up both the item mechanics and the character roster fairly badly, but that's a discussion that's tangential at best) I am a big Mario Kart fan otherwise and from my experience with Wii and 7, I don't believe the majority of people who picked Rosalina did so for sex appeal. As far as Wii goes, she was one of the better heavy characters statistically (Funky was the only competition) as well as the only heavy female character, and always used with a bike because karts were awful in comparison. Then in MK7 she was not actually popular when I played and back when I used to play the popular choices were Metal Mario + B Dasher + Slick (For highest possible speed, and MMario was the smallest Heavy) or Light character + Bumble V + Wooden for highest overall stats. From this I would tentatively assume that Rosalina is actually one of the better choices statistically (From a brief look at the character stats, if I were using a Heavy character outside of time trials then it would be one from her specific weight bracket), and if bikes are considered better in general then this would seem to be to me the reason.

To cut short the rant, I just don't believe either Peach or Rosalina (or really any character in the Mario series...) are intended to be sexualised at all. This said, when a quick google search can find you people sexualising Pokemon of all things (And I mean the creatures, not the characters) then nothing would surprise me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To be honest I do not see the sex appeal peach is "evidently given" in Smash Bros, or in any other game. Neither do I see any way in which Rosalina is designed to be sexually appealing in the main series - the MK8 promotional render goes there but I would not consider Mario Kart main series.

Whilst I admittedly do not own Mario Kart 8 (Because I feel they've messed up both the item mechanics and the character roster fairly badly, but that's a discussion that's tangential at best) I am a big Mario Kart fan otherwise and from my experience with Wii and 7, I don't believe the majority of people who picked Rosalina did so for sex appeal. As far as Wii goes, she was one of the better heavy characters statistically (Funky was the only competition) as well as the only heavy female character, and always used with a bike because karts were awful in comparison. Then in MK7 she was not actually popular when I played and back when I used to play the popular choices were Metal Mario + B Dasher + Slick (For highest possible speed, and MMario was the smallest Heavy) or Light character + Bumble V + Wooden for highest overall stats. From this I would tentatively assume that Rosalina is actually one of the better choices statistically (From a brief look at the character stats, if I were using a Heavy character outside of time trials then it would be one from her specific weight bracket), and if bikes are considered better in general then this would seem to be to me the reason.

To cut short the rant, I just don't believe either Peach or Rosalina (or really any character in the Mario series...) are intended to be sexualised at all. This said, when a quick google search can find you people sexualising Pokemon of all things (And I mean the creatures, not the characters) then nothing would surprise me.
Peach is intentionally sexualised in Smash Bros. Breast size is a more moderate size, while she has small ones (or a flat chest) in the main games.

Besides that, her personality is much more coy and flirtatious, compared to her sweet and innocent nature in Mario games. And of course, her panties and full legs are modelled in, while this never happens in the main Mario games.

And seeing as Rosalina doesn't have this done to her even though her legs are bare too, it's clearly intentional. The Palutena trailer also proves that Sakurai considers sex appeal to be part of the Smash fan service.

As far as Rosalina goes, she's not really sexualised beyond that one render for MK8. But she definitely has sex appeal. And I'm positive that's why people pick her in MK8, as many people use her biker outfit, even though some of her kart combos are much better. And while her weight class is the best one in MK8, her stats are identical to Waluigi, who seems popular in general (if his Smash deconfirmation was anything to go by), yet doesn't get used as much. DK and Roy Koopa have near identical stats to her too.

And regardless of stats, I don't think seeing at least 5 Rosalinas in a race, on a regular basis, would be justified by her having good stats, especially since she's particularly paired with the Sports Bike, which, well, just so happens to make her butt stick out a lot.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Peach is intentionally sexualised in Smash Bros. Breast size is a more moderate size, while she has small ones (or a flat chest) in the main games.

Besides that, her personality is much more coy and flirtatious, compared to her sweet and innocent nature in Mario games. And of course, her panties and full legs are modelled in, while this never happens in the main Mario games.

And seeing as Rosalina doesn't have this done to her even though her legs are bare too, it's clearly intentional. The Palutena trailer also proves that Sakurai considers sex appeal to be part of the Smash fan service.

As far as Rosalina goes, she's not really sexualised beyond that one render for MK8. But she definitely has sex appeal. And I'm positive that's why people pick her in MK8, as many people use her biker outfit, even though some of her kart combos are much better. And while her weight class is the best one in MK8, her stats are identical to Waluigi, who seems popular in general (if his Smash deconfirmation was anything to go by), yet doesn't get used as much. DK and Roy Koopa have near identical stats to her too.

And regardless of stats, I don't think seeing at least 5 Rosalinas in a race, on a regular basis, would be justified by her having good stats, especially since she's particularly paired with the Sports Bike, which, well, just so happens to make her butt stick out a lot.
I've never seen really any sex appeal in Rosalina or Peach. Peaches larger chest size seems more like them trying to make her more realistic, considering she's a grown woman. And if they didn't animate her full legs (yes including underwear) it would seem unprofessional, and the game is rated T so they won't get any judgment for it. I think most people play as Rosalina because she's likeable, not because she's 'sexy'. Also, many females play as her because she's one of the three human females in Mario Kart, and she's newer and fresher than Peach and Daisy.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

To be honest with you the difference in breast size is something I had never looked at; it certainly is not noticeable enough (in my opinion) for someone to see unless specifically going for it. Her "personality" in Smash Bros is something that it feels like you are taking from Sakurai's jokes on Miiverse rather than the character - I don't remember Peach being either of those things in SSE in Brawl which is the only other place I can think of her really getting any kind of personalisation.

Palutena is fair enough. However, given that (as far as I am aware) that is Sakurai's character due to KI:U, I would guess he has more liberties with her than he does with Peach/Rosalina.

Waluigi is not really massively popular; neither is DK as a Mario Kart character. I have no idea about Roy but the difference in stats explain Roy/DK anyway. I have no idea about the kart/bike combos.

However, regarding 5 Rosalina's a race regularly, how often did you play Mario Kart Wii? Because of the fact Funky Kong had the highest speed stat in the game, you would regularly see several Funky players each race, and this is before you take into account the fact Funky as a character is nowhere near as popular as Rosalina.

There will be some people who use the Sports bike to have Rosalina's backside stick out. However, I have just looked up the stats of the bike in question and statistically it looks (alongside the Yoshi Bike, Jet Bike, and Comet) like easily the best bike in the game, with top speed (for a bike) and substantial bonuses to Acceleration and Handling, alongside a small boost to Mini-Turbo. Why wouldn't you use it?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've never seen really any sex appeal in Rosalina or Peach. Peaches larger chest size seems more like them trying to make her more realistic, considering she's a grown woman. And if they didn't animate her full legs (yes including underwear) it would seem unprofessional, and the game is rated T so they won't get any judgment for it. I think most people play as Rosalina because she's likeable, not because she's 'sexy'. Also, many females play as her because she's one of the three human females in Mario Kart, and she's newer and fresher than Peach and Daisy.
But a grown woman does not automatically have a big chest. There are plenty of real women that don't. So that's a poor reason. The bigger breast size, ability to achieve panty shots of her, the butt based attacks, and the coy nature of her taunts and victory poses clearly fit her under the "cute but hot" archtype. The promo shots of her fo Smash 4 that outright portray her as a guy magnet (or guy stealer) just further back this up.

And most of the people who play as Rosalina happen to be guys. Most girls I see stick with a baby character, or Peach and Pink Gold Peach (the latter of which is actually heavier than Rosalina). I've also noticed that a LOT of these guys are Japanese. Which makes things even more understandable.

Just note that I say this as someone who is, in fact, very sexually attracted to Rosalina (though I do genuinely love the character a great deal and I play as her because of that, and because of the fact that she happens to be the best character in pretty much every game she shows up in).

To be honest with you the difference in breast size is something I had never looked at; it certainly is not noticeable enough (in my opinion) for someone to see unless specifically going for it. Her "personality" in Smash Bros is something that it feels like you are taking from Sakurai's jokes on Miiverse rather than the character - I don't remember Peach being either of those things in SSE in Brawl which is the only other place I can think of her really getting any kind of personalisation.

Palutena is fair enough. However, given that (as far as I am aware) that is Sakurai's character due to KI:U, I would guess he has more liberties with her than he does with Peach/Rosalina.

Waluigi is not really massively popular; neither is DK as a Mario Kart character. I have no idea about Roy but the difference in stats explain Roy/DK anyway. I have no idea about the kart/bike combos.

However, regarding 5 Rosalina's a race regularly, how often did you play Mario Kart Wii? Because of the fact Funky Kong had the highest speed stat in the game, you would regularly see several Funky players each race, and this is before you take into account the fact Funky as a character is nowhere near as popular as Rosalina.

There will be some people who use the Sports bike to have Rosalina's backside stick out. However, I have just looked up the stats of the bike in question and statistically it looks (alongside the Yoshi Bike, Jet Bike, and Comet) like easily the best bike in the game, with top speed (for a bike) and substantial bonuses to Acceleration and Handling, alongside a small boost to Mini-Turbo. Why wouldn't you use it?
...I'd say it's a fairly big difference. We're talking going from flat chested Peach in the actual Mario games, to at least a C Cup in Smash. Her TV Tropes page for Smash even puts her under the "Hotter and Sexier" trope.

Roy and DK have near identical stats to Rosie and Waluigi, the difference is basically negligible. They are the same class, just ever so slightly different. I think Roy and DK have a tiny bit better handling than Rosie and Waluigi, while Rosie and Waluigi are a tiny bit heavier. Or it could be the other way around. The difference in either situation is negligible.

I didn't get to play MKWii online but I am aware of how unbalanced certain characters were. However, MK8 is much better in that regard. Rosalina's weight class (Cruiser Weights) is considered the best by many, but there is room for preference this time around, and due to how items are handled, online races end up being really luck based at times anyway, meaning a good combo means little. For example, I much prefer my kart combo for Rosalina than the Sports Bike one people always use:

One thing to note - Acceleration is tiered in MK8. "2.50" acceleration is the exact same as "2.00".

Also Waluigi is a popular character outside of MK in general, there was a lot of outrage when he was confirmed an assist trophy for Smash.

Though to be honest, I don't see why you would need to defend the notion that she is not sexually appealing. There is nothing wrong with it, as she is an adult, human character, and a very beautiful one at that.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
And most of the people who play as Rosalina happen to be guys. Most girls I see stick with a baby character, or Peach and Pink Gold Peach (the latter of which is actually heavier than Rosalina). I've also noticed that a LOT of these guys are Japanese. Which makes things even more understandable.

Just note that I say this as someone who is, in fact, very sexually attracted to Rosalina (though I do genuinely love the character a great deal and I play as her because of that, and because of the fact that she happens to be the best character in pretty much every game she shows up in).

...I'd say it's a fairly big difference. We're talking going from flat chested Peach in the actual Mario games, to at least a C Cup in Smash. Her TV Tropes page for Smash even puts her under the "Hotter and Sexier" trope.

Roy and DK have near identical stats to Rosie and Waluigi, the difference is basically negligible. They are the same class, just ever so slightly different. I think Roy and DK have a tiny bit better handling than Rosie and Waluigi, while Rosie and Waluigi are a tiny bit heavier. Or it could be the other way around. The difference in either situation is negligible.

I didn't get to play MKWii online but I am aware of how unbalanced certain characters were. However, MK8 is much better in that regard. Rosalina's weight class (Cruiser Weights) is considered the best by many, but there is room for preference this time around, and due to how items are handled, online races end up being really luck based at times anyway, meaning a good combo means little. For example, I much prefer my kart combo for Rosalina than the Sports Bike one people always use:

One thing to note - Acceleration is tiered in MK8. "2.50" acceleration is the exact same as "2.00".

Also Waluigi is a popular character outside of MK in general, there was a lot of outrage when he was confirmed an assist trophy for Smash.

Though to be honest, I don't see why you would need to defend the notion that she is not sexually appealing. There is nothing wrong with it, as she is an adult, human character, and a very beautiful one at that.
I am not really arguing whether some people do; a quick google search for that would instantly prove me wrong. I just don't think the Mario series characters are meant to be, and I also don't think everyone who uses her uses her for the reasons you seem to have suggested in some of your arguments, which by your own admission seems to be tarring everyone else with your own brush!

For example, as a guy I am probably going to play as Rosalina a lot in Sm4sh, but her physical appearance has absolutely no impact on it. She seems to be the sort of character I enjoy, with a good combo/grab game and reasonably quick and often disjointed attacks. I used Ice Climbers in Brawl for similar reasons (Am more of a casual player though; I could chain grab to some degree but didn't even know about it until long after I started using them) and I have absolutely no personal connection to ICs or their game whatsoever; I just liked how they played.

To conclude: some people do find these characters sexy. I don't understand it (ZSS is in my opinion the only thing in Smash that seems to have any kind of sex appeal, but there you go) but I do not personally condemn it; it is not something strange like the people who feel the need to try draw a Pokemon creature as a sexy woman or something similar. My arguments are two-fold: that I do not think the Mario series characters are intended to be viewed sexually, and that I do not think the majority of users of these characters share your view on them.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Mario characters are not supposed to be portrayed in a sexual light as far as I know, except for Peach in Smash Bros, where it's pretty blatant. I think touting that Peach's more sexualised portrayal in Smash as accidental is just grasping at innocence at this point, especially since Palutena is having the sexually appealing parts of her character exaggerated too.

And I kinda take offense to the "tarring everyone else with your own brush", as the sexual attraction thing is a very tertiary reason behind why I like the character, and has never been a deciding factor in why I play as her. Again, I myself currently use a kart with Rosalina in MK8, rather than kitting her out in the biker outfit. And I am by no means a skirt chaser or an ogler or anything like that. Rosalina just has my ideal body type/aesthetic features when it comes to women, hence, I consider her "very sexually attractive". It's not something I ever intend to discuss at length around here either.

I just feel males consistently playing as a character with a big booty and a skintight suit, and often all of the time, when there are statistically better vehicle set ups they could put her on, just speaks to the character's sexual appeal.

Remember, a sexualised character is not the same as a character with sexual appeal. Rosalina fits into the latter, but not the former. Peach in Smash Bros fits into both, but elsewhere, she may not even fit into the latter (she hardly looks legal outside of Smash).

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The Mario characters are not supposed to be portrayed in a sexual light as far as I know, except for Peach in Smash Bros, where it's pretty blatant. I think touting that Peach's more sexualised portrayal in Smash as accidental is just grasping at innocence at this point, especially since Palutena is having the sexually appealing parts of her character exaggerated too.

And I kinda take offense to the "tarring everyone else with your own brush", as the sexual attraction thing is a very tertiary reason behind why I like the character, and has never been a deciding factor in why I play as her. Again, I myself currently use a kart with Rosalina in MK8, rather than kitting her out in the biker outfit. And I am by no means a skirt chaser or an ogler or anything like that. Rosalina just has my ideal body type/aesthetic features when it comes to women, hence, I consider her "very sexually attractive". It's not something I ever intend to discuss at length around here either.

I just feel males consistently playing as a character with a big booty and a skintight suit, and often all of the time, when there are statistically better vehicle set ups they could put her on, just speaks to the character's sexual appeal.

Remember, a sexualised character is not the same as a character with sexual appeal. Rosalina fits into the latter, but not the former. Peach in Smash Bros fits into both, but elsewhere, she may not even fit into the latter (she hardly looks legal outside of Smash).
Peach in Smash Bros is not blatant in my opinion. As said, I had no idea there was even a difference in her breast size until you mentioned it, and as someone else pointed out it could quite easily be an attempt for her to look somewhat more realistic in keeping with Brawl's art style. Speaking of which, the pictures you are posting for your argument seem to be from Brawl, not Smash 4, where she is much closer (in my opinion) to her appearances in main series Mario games; the art style argument seems to have a lot of merit. It's not grasping at innocence, it's just not something I've ever heard mentioned before reading this thread. I have agreed with Palutena although again, I think that Sakurai probably has more room to work with character than necessarily with some others.

There is no need to take offense at the tarring comment (I apologise if it seemed offensive). The meaning of it is moreso that just because you see her as a character with sexual appeal, it does not mean everyone else does. There is absolutely no implication of anything else there.

We have been over Rosalina's usage several times now and I have very little else to say about it except for this - you are basing it on her MK8 usage where she is, by your own admission, the best character there. That simple fact alone is absolutely sufficient to explain her usage. You can argue that your kart set-up is better so there is no need for the bike, but that is absolutely also a matter of your preference; I can see merits to both and have not even tried out what other wheels you could stick with the bike to get a potentially better setup. The ultimate point is that, it doesn't matter who the character is, if they are known to be the best in that game they will get a disproportionate amount of usage. You don't even know that they are playing that combo for the skin-tight suit rather than the advantages the bike possesses, such as inside drifting (Which if it is anywhere near as pronounced as in Wii is very significant in my opinion).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think it's time to drop the sexual talk now. Let's just agree to disagree with each others' opinions, and keep the disagreement civilized.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Peach in Smash Bros is not blatant in my opinion. As said, I had no idea there was even a difference in her breast size until you mentioned it, and as someone else pointed out it could quite easily be an attempt for her to look somewhat more realistic in keeping with Brawl's art style. Speaking of which, the pictures you are posting for your argument seem to be from Brawl, not Smash 4, where she is much closer (in my opinion) to her appearances in main series Mario games; the art style argument seems to have a lot of merit. It's not grasping at innocence, it's just not something I've ever heard mentioned before reading this thread. I have agreed with Palutena although again, I think that Sakurai probably has more room to work with character than necessarily with some others.

There is no need to take offense at the tarring comment (I apologise if it seemed offensive). The meaning of it is moreso that just because you see her as a character with sexual appeal, it does not mean everyone else does. There is absolutely no implication of anything else there.

We have been over Rosalina's usage several times now and I have very little else to say about it except for this - you are basing it on her MK8 usage where she is, by your own admission, the best character there. That simple fact alone is absolutely sufficient to explain her usage. You can argue that your kart set-up is better so there is no need for the bike, but that is absolutely also a matter of your preference; I can see merits to both and have not even tried out what other wheels you could stick with the bike to get a potentially better setup. The ultimate point is that, it doesn't matter who the character is, if they are known to be the best in that game they will get a disproportionate amount of usage. You don't even know that they are playing that combo for the skin-tight suit rather than the advantages the bike possesses, such as inside drifting (Which if it is anywhere near as pronounced as in Wii is very significant in my opinion).
Well that just means you're not as perceptive to that kind of stuff (I don't mean that as an offense, as it's nothing to be ashamed of either way - people like me, who are perceptive to it, tend to get shamed more, really). However, it couldn't be an attempt to make her more realistic, as I already pointed out. I mean seriously, if it wasn't a bit of sexualisation going on, they wouldn't model in her panties on the Amiibo, let alone in game.

And that chest is the same in Smash 4:

And believe me when I say I'm far from the first person to notice this. Again, I refer to the TV Tropes page for Smash Peach, where she is listed under the "Hotter and Sexier" trope:

The promotional screenshots for Wii U/3DS show her openly flirting with other male characters besides Mario, ranging from giving Marth sultry looks, to stealing Link from Zelda.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/SuperSmashBrosMelee

And believe me, the Sports Bike combo isn't as great as people make it out to be. I tried to mess around with different wheels, but in the end, I could never beat my Time Trials that I had set with my Gold Kart combo. And like with Peach in Smash, I am far from the first person to doubt that popularity and stats are the full reason behind her showing up in the Biker outfit so much (and I have seen many a tumblr post commenting on the biker outfit she has, where people say they just think it looks really good on her, so they use it). And the people who would be aware of the statistic benefits of Rosalina are a minority, as not everyone studies this kind of thing, in Mario Kart of all games.

Oh, and inside drifting was nerfed quite a bit. There is a delay before it actually starts going inside.

I think it's time to drop the sexual talk now. Let's just agree to disagree with each others' opinions, and keep the disagreement civilized.
...This isn't necessarily sexual talk at all. More just discussing some things about how these games/characters are designed and received. The developers themselves would have had to discuss this kind of thing, so I consider it fair game. Plus, the content is well within PG-13. "Sex" or "sexy" or any derivative thereof, is not a tabuu word.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't see how I was making myself out to be especially important or special - which is what arrogance is.

---------

I found this really nice picture of Rosalina. I think something like this would be a really cool alt costume.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad Can you quickly explain the acceleration in MK8? You said it's tiered and I want to find the best stats for me. In Frantic Mode Online, I play in 150c with Rosalina on Mr.Scooty + Azure Roller + Peach Parasol. It's pretty much the perfect vehicle since I can get back into the race after getting hit. Why don't you try it out too and tell me how it works out for you.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
And believe me, the Sports Bike combo isn't as great as people make it out to be. I tried to mess around with different wheels, but in the end, I could never beat my Time Trials that I had set with my Gold Kart combo. And like with Peach in Smash, I am far from the first person to doubt that popularity and stats are the full reason behind her showing up in the Biker outfit so much (and I have seen many a tumblr post commenting on the biker outfit she has, where people say they just think it looks really good on her, so they use it). And the people who would be aware of the statistic benefits of Rosalina are a minority, as not everyone studies this kind of thing, in Mario Kart of all games.
Well, there's the problem. Your combo will always be better for time trials as it has higher speed which is the single most important thing there. However, what's good in races is not necessarily the same thing as other stats, such as acceleration, gained increased importance, especially in MK8 by what you've said about items being much more dangerous. Do you not use different kart choices for time trials and for general racing? An example:

In MK7, for time trials on races such as the circuit levels, I would go for Heavy Character + B Dasher + Slick Tires + Super Glider. This gave stats of:

5.5 Speed / 1.25 Accel / 4.5 Weight / 1.5 Handling / 0.75 Off Road

When I raced online, I tended to use Shy Guy + Soda Jet + Red Monster + Ghastly Glider. This gave stats of:

4 Speed / 3.75 Acceleration / 2.75 Weight / 1.75 Handling / 5 Off-Road

The former is significantly better for Time Trials (If it is an off-road track, switch Slick for Monster / Red Monster tires) due to the significantly higher speed. However, the acceleration is truly horrendous, and if you use the Slick tires then you suck if you get caught on an off-road stage online. The latter choice still has good speed with good acceleration (Just hitting the current tier, if you're interested; it was also tiered in MK7) and massive off-road so it is fine on most stages.

Anyway, I think we're mostly flogging a dead horse here and, as suggested, should just agree to disagree as this is swiftly becoming irrelevant to Rosalina as far as Smash Bros goes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I prefer higher speed by principle since I feel it has many more benefits than higher acceleration in MK8.

Since my current combo is near maxed out speed, I can get ahead of the pack very easily. And if I even get hit by a Spiny Shell while really far ahead, I can shrug it off, as it tends to not be enough for others to catch up to me.

And while acceleration gets you to top speed better after being hit, it means nothing if your speed is 4 and the people who pass you have 5 or above, because they're still gonna be a ways ahead of you after you fully accelerate, and you won't have the speed to catch up after the fact. And since this game doesn't like giving you really nice items until you are at least 8th, you can't really rely on that.

At the end of the day, I can handle high speeds really well so it's always gonna work out better for me. Slower karts (and lighter characters) are better for less experienced players, but people who are good at driving in the game may as well go for speed.

Which is again, why I think the overuse of the Rosalina/Sports Bike combo isn't a stats thing.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should probably point out that 4.75/6 speed is still a good speed level, and you can have C-tier acceleration at the same time as well; 5/6 and 5.25/6 speed can only have D-tier acceleration, while 5.5/6 and 5.75/6 speed can only have E-tier acceleration.

Anyway, with that said, remember that the Mario Kart thread exists for Mario Kart topics. Any Mario Kart general discussions that don't relate to Rosalina should be taken there.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I should probably point out that 4.75/6 speed is still a good speed level, and you can have C-tier acceleration at the same time as well; 5/6 and 5.25/6 speed can only have D-tier acceleration, while 5.5/6 and 5.75/6 speed can only have E-tier acceleration.

Anyway, with that said, remember that the Mario Kart thread exists for Mario Kart topics. Any Mario Kart general discussions that don't relate to Rosalina should be taken there.
It's good, but if a really good player is within the 5's in speed and you're within the 4, you're never gonna catch up unless you get a really lucky streak with items. There is a reason the heavy characters are marked as "advanced" in Mario Kart games, after all.

And this is still all related to Rosalina because I was comparing two Rosalina combos specifically.

Plus, weren't you the very one who suggested I discuss Rosalina combos in this thread, because other people were getting antsy about Rosalina being brought up in the Mario Kart General Discussion (even though it was perfectly on topic there, and that was just people being overly sensitive to the mention of a fictional character they didn't like)?

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
Glider stats in MK8 are so minuscule I just go with whatever looks good with the character. In the case of Rosalina, it's always the Peach Parasol, I love its blue colour to bits. While it's less true with wheels in the fact they can have a high impact on stats, I'm quite picky in looks still. It's usually a juggle between what I find to be the good-looking ones, which is the Standard, Slim and Slick tires (ie. the black ones).

My favourite bodies (aside from Rosalina's :p) are the Standard Kart, Bike and Quad, Sports Coupe, Pipe Frame, Circuit Special and Flame Rider. They all look good with her, I find. Ain't I a stinker for just chasing after appearance? Wish I was better with inside-drift bikes and be even more nosy.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
With Rosalina, I tend to use the Biddybuggy with her. I also equip the Biddybuggy with the Azure Roller wheels to further reference Rosalina's color scheme.

Sure, the Azure Roller wheels might not accelerate any faster than if I were to use the Sponge wheels instead (both wheels would only offer Rosalina B-tier acceleration for the Biddybuggy), but the Azure Roller wheels have much better hidden stats (water speed being the most notable). And when you think it over, handling is more important than traction anyway; traction is an expendable stat for most tracks.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Glider stats in MK8 are so minuscule I just go with whatever looks good with the character. In the case of Rosalina, it's always the Peach Parasol, I love its blue colour to bits. While it's less true with wheels in the fact they can have a high impact on stats, I'm quite picky in looks still. It's usually a juggle between what I find to be the good-looking ones, which is the Standard, Slim and Slick tires (ie. the black ones).

My favourite bodies (aside from Rosalina's :p) are the Standard Kart, Bike and Quad, Sports Coupe, Pipe Frame, Circuit Special and Flame Rider. They all look good with her, I find. Ain't I a stinker for just chasing after appearance? Wish I was better with inside-drift bikes and be even more nosy.
Given that outside of Time Trials there isn't really a competitive scene to Mario Kart that I am aware of there is certainly something to be said for going for personal preference. In MKWii I would use Dry Bones + Bullet Bike rather than the "best" choices (Baby Daisy/Bullet Bike, Daisy/Mach Bike, Rosalina/Funky/Bowser Bike). Whilst it makes things more difficult Mario Kart is sufficiently luck based that I don't think any character puts someone out of the running. If I did use Rosalina then I felt the Twinkle Star was really the bike to use with her aesthetically, although the fact it has outside drift can make things more difficult if you are accustomed to inside drift, which (given that I think all the best bikes in MKWii had it) I think people are more likely to be. Funky was best but I could never stand his voice when driving.

I was not a fan of cruisers in MK7 so never used Rosalina in that game; plus it has always saddened me that the Luma was removed in the installments after Wii.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
So let's say Baby Rosalina was replaced by Young Rosalina. Would she technically be too big / tall to be classified as small? Also, I don't think we've seen her in footwear, so I think the best thing she could wear would be white sandals. I just think it would look nice on her, like it does on most children.

Even as she got older, she didn't wear anything on her feet. Probably because she could float? I wonder when she got her ears pierced...

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If I were to guess, young Rosalina would probably be about 5' tall, rivaling Mario's size, but by her late teens, she becomes tall enough to rival Peach's height for a while.

As for Rosalina's footwear, I think that's where my theory comes to play. My theory would be that during her young adult period, Rosalina came into contact with a Grand Star that not only grants her immortality, and stopping her from growing any older, but her wardrobe also gets altered, with her silver high heels being one of the new additions.

In a way, that very Grand Star made Rosalina into some type of goddess. However, her main weakness is that she needs Power Stars to maintain her power, which includes the Grand Stars as well. As a result, the Comet Observatory not only required the Grand Stars to support life, but it's also a storage place for the Power Stars.

Because Rosalina's power involves Power Stars, with the amount of Power Stars that the Comet Observatory can hold, she's normally way too powerful for even Bowser to beat. Because of this, Bowser likely had to use an indirect tactic to steal Rosalina's Power Stars.

Without the Power Stars, Rosalina's powers get diminished drastically, and as such, she loses the ability to defend her home.

Anyway, this is just my theory with Rosalina.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So let's say Baby Rosalina was replaced by Young Rosalina. Would she technically be too big / tall to be classified as small? Also, I don't think we've seen her in footwear, so I think the best thing she could wear would be white sandals. I just think it would look nice on her, like it does on most children.

Even as she got older, she didn't wear anything on her feet. Probably because she could float? I wonder when she got her ears pierced...
I'd say she could easily be a lightweight character. Same class as Peach, or maybe the one below.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
If I were to guess, young Rosalina would probably be about 5' tall, rivaling Mario's size, but by her late teens, she becomes tall enough to rival Peach's height for a while.

As for Rosalina's footwear, I think that's where my theory comes to play. My theory would be that during her young adult period, Rosalina came into contact with a Grand Star that not only grants her immortality, and stopping her from growing any older, but her wardrobe also gets altered, with her silver high heels being one of the new additions.

In a way, that very Grand Star made Rosalina into some type of goddess. However, her main weakness is that she needs Power Stars to maintain her power, which includes the Grand Stars as well. As a result, the Comet Observatory not only required the Grand Stars to support life, but it's also a storage place for the Power Stars.

Because Rosalina's power involves Power Stars, with the amount of Power Stars that the Comet Observatory can hold, she's normally way too powerful for even Bowser to beat. Because of this, Bowser likely had to use an indirect tactic to steal Rosalina's Power Stars.

Without the Power Stars, Rosalina's powers get diminished drastically, and as such, she loses the ability to defend her home.

Anyway, this is just my theory with Rosalina.
That theory is very likely. Besides, Grand Stars and Power Stars are very prominent and a vital part of Rosalina's life. You can see this in Super Mario 3D World. In that game, Rosalina's Comet Observatory is on its lowest power since the core is red, indicating that it needs some Power Stars or Grand Stars.

I think when the Comet Observatory is like this, Rosalina and some Luma's go out to get some Stars, while Polari stays behind to watch over. Alternatively, Rosalina can stay behind and watch over the Lumas while Polari and some Lumas go searching instead. Also, I personally like to think that when it comes to Rosalina's clothing, that she made it herself without any kind of magic. After all she and Luma made the Comet Observatory from scratch in the beginning.

But magic seems like the more likely case of the making of her clothing.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I also think it's kinda funny how in Super Mario 3D World, Rosalina is looks completely unfazed, while the others are turning their heads and looking around.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, so you guys know how Lumas can tranform into all sorts of things, including animals like Star Bunnies...

So is it possible for Lumas to transform into Humans? I think they can.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Anything I miss? Do you think Rosalina will be in the new trailer? The only other she has been in is Palutenas and Miis.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I do want me some more CGI Rosalina, can't get enough of that...so beautiful...

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Am i the only one who thinks that Kerri Kane is returning as her voice for This game?

Because in the footage shown you can hear her MK7 voice clips.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's not Kerri Kane, they are new ones recorded by Laura Faye Smith. She just has an echo now.

I'd know if it was Kerri Kane because I have played quite a bit of MK7 and that annoying take on her is drilled into my head. She has more emotion in Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom