• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's not like Kratos initially was in Playstation All-Stars, where he was WAY faster, WAY stronger than anyone, had WAY more range than anyone, among other things, meaning any old meat head or 2 year old could use him.
Lmao. I still remember that

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Rosalina isn't likely to get nerfed because there is nothing glaringly wrong with her. She's amazing, but only if you are competent yourself, because she is also the most complex character in the game.

She's not like Kratos initially was in Playstation All-Stars, where he was WAY faster, WAY stronger than anyone, had WAY more range than anyone, among other things, meaning any old meat head or 2 year old could use him.

I LITERALLY LAUGHED OUT LOUD WHEN I SAW THIS.

Rosalina is making me believe there is a god.
So, can we make the church of Rosalina today? I feel like she'd be far more accepting to us....I mean...I would much prefer becoming a luma when I die.

never forget

truthfully though, I never had much issue when facing him. My Sackboy was MEAN.
Oh right and I'm stuck kicking barrels with Nathan Drake. Uncharted 2 is like my 4th most favorite game ever then it's GTA V then OoT then Mario Galaxy 1/2

Last edited:
Quite a peculiar mixture there, dear.
Yeah. I have all consoles of the last generation which is why my tastes are a bit more spread out

I'm a rich spoiled brat type. Except I'm cheap. Don't stereotype me as one of those teenagers who stay in mansions laughing at lower classes. Yeah, I do have a big house but I prefer staying in a condominium

And that's how I got all consoles! Cause money....

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Yeah. I have all consoles of the last generation which is why my tastes are a bit more spread out

I'm a rich spoiled brat type. Except I'm cheap. Don't stereotype me as one of those teenagers who stay in mansions laughing at lower classes. Yeah, I do have a big house but I prefer staying in a condominium
My taste is more toward rpgs, and I didn't know you were a teen, but alright then. I'm sitting in a decently large lake hosue atm, myself, but regardless...

My taste is more toward rpgs, and I didn't know you were a teen, but alright then. I'm sitting in a decently large lake hosue atm, myself, but regardless...
Teen as in like 19 years old. It's still considered as a young teen age around here. I'm still called a "kid" for some reason even though I'm taller than most people I see so yeah, I'd consider myself a teen rather than an young adult semi-adult. I don't know the word for it. Lol

Oh and this is what I meant by Shulk being potentially annoying. The Shulk user said that Rosalina's probably gonna be an iffy match up but it's beatable

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Teen as in like 19 years old. It's still considered as a young teen age around here. I'm still called a "kid" for some reason even though I'm taller than most people I see so yeah, I'd consider myself a teen rather than an young adult semi-adult. I don't know the word for it. Lol

Oh and this is what I meant by Shulk being potentially annoying. The Shulk user said that Rosalina's probably gonna be an iffy match up but it's beatable
...I literally just finished watching that video a minute ago.

But yeah...the rosalina didn't really seem like they knew how to use her effectively....so I can understand iffy.

...I literally just finished watching that video a minute ago.

But yeah...the rosalina didn't really seem like they knew how to use her effectively....so I can understand iffy.
She used gravitational pull once on a character with no projectiles so....

Anyway, if I were a Shulk player against Rosalina, I'd probably just do everything the Shulk did in the video to be honest. Although, I'd put more focus on spacing against Luma. Easier said than done. Hell, I might be better off using Rosalina against Rosalina but that ain't any fun

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
She used gravitational pull once on a character with no projectiles so....

Anyway, if I were a Shulk player against Rosalina, I'd probably just do everything the Shulk did in the video to be honest. Although, I'd put more focus on spacing against Luma. Easier said than done. Hell, I might be better off using Rosalina against Rosalina but that ain't any fun
I think the problem here is neither player shows off very much skill, if I played against that Shulk player, I would have destroyed him as he left himself open way too often. The Rosalina player didn't capitalize on this, using shields and Luma Shots when the opportunity was too obvious. Long story short, play like either of these players and you'll get slaughtered against better players.

I think the biggest problem was both players were just randomly throwing smash attacks hoping the other walks into it.

I think the problem here is neither player shows off very much skill, if I played against that Shulk player, I would have destroyed him as he left himself open way too often. The Rosalina player didn't capitalize on this, using shields and Luma Shots when the opportunity was too obvious. Long story short, play like either of these players and you'll get slaughtered against better players.

I think the biggest problem was both players were just randomly throwing smash attacks hoping the other walks into it.
To be fair, I actually know the Shulk player. That was one of his first matches so it's understandable. He's gotten better over time

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina seems fine against fast characters. Not particularly amazing against them (no more than she normally is against anyone), but not particularly bad against anyone.

IMO, her worst match-up is Villager. She's not terrible against him either, but it's DEFINITELY at least an even match-up. Rosalina can take care of Lloyd Rocket just fine, which is one of Villager's primary tools. But Villager has just as good a recovery as her. And has a few really strong moves. I don't know if the Tree can be negated with Gravitational Pull though, after it's been axed. If it can, it will put things in her favour. Same goes for the Bowling Ball. Both of those attacks can be pocketed by other Villagers, but I have not seen anyone try Rosalina's GP against it.
I don't really see how the Villager would even count as a worst match-up for Rosalina if she can just stay clear of the Villager's weapon choices. For one example, the tree is basically useless if Rosalina stays clear of the sapling.

I hope I'm not too slow seeing this, but good lord, Gravitational Pull antics never get old:

https://vine.co/v/OZEVO0BUAlJ

I'm really loving the two customisations for this move also, but are they worth it? Decisions and sacrifices...
So Gravitational Pull can counter Pikachu's Thunder. Good to know.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
So can we talk about her customs for a second?

Namely that long range fast starbit shot. That move looks so useful....

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
What do you guys think about Guardian Luma?
I don't think it will be nearly as useful as gravity pull in general, but it gives her more options against non-projectile users...which is what her other custom down does, so not very useful, but gives you an option in place of a useless one (when facing projectileless characters).

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
What do you guys think about Guardian Luma?
Guardian Luma has a surprising attribute to it that the other down-b's don't have. Whenever you jump using that move, you jump about 2 jumps high, which is very good for recovery and avoiding attacks. I'm definitely going to use Guardian Luma with the Launch Star Attack so it increase my chance for recovery.

By the way, with the Launch Star Plus, it seems that after you reach the peak, you instantly go into a helpless state and you fall immediately, something that the original doesn't have. I would like it... if you didn't fall immediately. It'd be better if you were in the air at least a little bit longer before falling.

@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy The images in Rosalina's moveset customization are dead. This is an image.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really see how the Villager would even count as a worst match-up for Rosalina if she can just stay clear of the Villager's weapon choices. For one example, the tree is basically useless if Rosalina stays clear of the sapling.

So Gravitational Pull can counter Pikachu's Thunder. Good to know.
Trust me, a good Villager is crafty. They can get you good when they knock down a tree.

There was a match I saw where both the Villager player and Rosalina player were both good, but the Villager won. I'm not basing my entire thing off of this though, more off of what I've played of Villager in the demo.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Trust me, a good Villager is crafty. They can get you good when they knock down a tree.

There was a match I saw where both the Villager player and Rosalina player were both good, but the Villager won. I'm not basing my entire thing off of this though, more off of what I've played of Villager in the demo.
Rosalina has an advantage, however, and it seems rather apparent (even in that match....I believe I know which one you speak of). But the advantage isn't extreme and skill can play a decent role in it, but it was obvious that the villager was struggling at points.

We speak of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4JnKUtuQc

Yes?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
lol and here I thought Villager was the winner. I shouldn't doubt the bae. <3

But yeah that was the match in question.

I don't know. Villager just seems like the toughest character for Rosalina so far, from what I've seen. No other character has made think "ooooh, I might have to watch out for you when I'm Rosalina". It's only my first impression though, and I do want to test some things out that could completely change match up into Rosalina's hands.

EDIT: Nintendo just opened their kids site, "Play Nintendo", and it has pages for a bunch of different characters, including Rosalina:

http://play.nintendo.com/themes/friends/rosalina/

It contains the most hilarious over-simplification of her character I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What I don't get is how though, since Rosalina would surely know better than to be caught near the Villager's tree. I mean, the Villager isn't able to pocket his own tree, even after it's chopped down, unless I'm missing something.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's very possible for Villager to back people into a corner and axe that tree when the opponent least expects it. He can play mind games to get people close to it.

EDIT: Have some lovely fanart, guys:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's very possible for Villager to back people into a corner and axe that tree when the opponent least expects it. He can play mind games to get people close to it.
The Villager would have to be "very" crafty in order to catch Rosalina in his tree trap though, so yes, mind games are pretty much his answer. Even then though, it's pretty likely that an experienced Rosalina player would figure out how to stay away from the Villager's trees, even if it means using the Luma to take it down.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED

I don't know. Villager just seems like the toughest character for Rosalina so far, from what I've seen. No other character has made think "ooooh, I might have to watch out for you when I'm Rosalina". It's only my first impression though, and I do want to test some things out that could completely change match up into Rosalina's hands.

EDIT: Nintendo just opened their kids site, "Play Nintendo", and it has pages for a bunch of different characters, including Rosalina:

It contains the most hilarious over-simplification of her character I have ever seen.
Wow, they made her sound icredibly lame, like some sort of crazy cat lady with Lumas. :p

...And they called her a princess. :T

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They group her as a princess in a Mario Kart 8 article, yeah. She's always referred to as one in relation to that game, and nowhere else, as far as I know.

I still refuse to consider her one though, since it just seems like the localisation team "kiddifying" her for the American young 'uns.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rosalina has a huge advantage on Battlefield in that a lot of her attacks can easily go through the platforms. I'm pretty sure she's one of the only characters who can potentially attack people under the platforms from above (this isn't even anything to do with Luma either). Rosalina players need to start taking advantage of that, as I have rarely seen people try such techniques. I want to experiment with this when I get the game.

As for a commercial outfit, I do have an idea of what she'd probably have in my mind, but I don't know if I'd be able to draw it. I'm more concerned with just playing Smash.
Whoa! When has this thread got so long after my sleep?(According to my time here GMT+8)
I don't know, maybe Battlefield is not really a typical bad stage for Rosalina, but I don't know why, I often see Rosalina getting combo hit and losing a lot in Battlefield. When I use her, I even have trouble defeating level 7 cpus. Probably there is some kind of Battlefield curse for Rosalina.JK(Just Kidding)
Her Up air and Down air are just so powerful and efficient. If you say Megaman has the strongest Up air, well you are wrong. Rosalina's up air has a good ko potential if you keep trapping your opponents at air.
Well, if you drawn one or found a fanart. Post it here! I would love to see it!
Rosalina isn't likely to get nerfed because there is nothing glaringly wrong with her. She's amazing, but only if you are competent yourself, because she is also the most complex character in the game.

I LITERALLY LAUGHED OUT LOUD WHEN I SAW THIS.

Rosalina is making me believe there is a god.
She is tough and tricky to use indeed, and why do you have to compare with PSAS? They are different games. Sometimes if you keep focus on battling, you might just lose your Luma.
That probably means Rosalina is gonna get nerfed then if she's really as good as what the Japanese players are saying

and since Shulk is crap in their eyes, they're probably gonna buff him

Of course, this is all impressions

Let's hope they don't do too much
Every character is tough once you mastered it LOL, well,sort of.
That's partly because the Smash Bros competitive scene in general was not so established when Melee came out and we certainly didn't have today's technology for things like analysing frame data and recording stuff.
But most pros still like Melee to this day.
Sonic's grab range is ridiculous in this game, to the point it looks janky for him. Among many other things.

IMO, Rosalina and Sonic are looking to be this game's Fox (speaking in comparison to Melee) in this game. Sonic definitely has a similar playstyle in execution and viability to Melee Fox (minus the shine and lasers), and Rosalina just looks like an entirely new beast whom I think will never stop developing.
I am also a main in Sonic, his backward throw is god damn powerful, I used that to ko people a lot of times in the Ballon fight stage. However, I bet to say Rosalina has no match against Sonic.
Does the Bowling ball count as a projectile? I guess it does drop from the stage's ledge if you are that close....this would be interesting to see.....are there no glaringly bad match ups against her yet? I am glad for that, but I don't particularly want my main to be op :/
Hm....hadn't tried that yet, but to me trying to GP Villager's bowling is both dangerous and unefficient in battle.
I think if people start deciding to just go for the luma first before Rosalina, it might get ugly but to be honest, Rosalina w/o Luma isn't that bad at all. Pardon me for my lack of knowledge regarding the character (so correct me on this) but the only thing that's holding her down as a stand alone character is her physical attributes and her lack of solid KO options without Luma. She's still pretty good but I'm pretty sure people are gonna give it all they got to wreck the hell out of Rosalina while a Luma hasn't spawned yet

Good thing there aren't many characters that can safely KO Luma. The only ones I can think of in my head are anyone with good projectiles or long ranged melee attacks. Projectile characters can easily be handled with using her down b. Too early to say this because for all I know, some random guy will find a way around her down B but for now, it's godlike against projectiles

The real ******** are the long ranged characters that can attack safely by just spacing their attacks. Especially Marth... And Bowser... And Shulk with speed activated... And Ike.... And Lucina

How does Rosalina deal with fast characters by the way? As in, the ones that can rush at your face and just stay on you?
To me I can say Rosalina has no match against fast characters, especially Sonic and Greninja.
Guardian Luma has a surprising attribute to it that the other down-b's don't have. Whenever you jump using that move, you jump about 2 jumps high, which is very good for recovery and avoiding attacks. I'm definitely going to use Guardian Luma with the Launch Star Attack so it increase my chance for recovery.

By the way, with the Launch Star Plus, it seems that after you reach the peak, you instantly go into a helpless state and you fall immediately, something that the original doesn't have. I would like it... if you didn't fall immediately. It'd be better if you were in the air at least a little bit longer before falling.

@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy The images in Rosalina's moveset customization are dead. This is an image.
Still haven't got all of her custom moves yet.
What I don't get is how though, since Rosalina would surely know better than to be caught near the Villager's tree. I mean, the Villager isn't able to pocket his own tree, even after it's chopped down, unless I'm missing something.
Well, another Villager can. Sometimes you can play a tree catching game with two Villagers

EDIT: Have some lovely fanart, guys:

Lovely.
What is that orange mascot behind Kirby and Starfy? I know that mascot has been popular around Japan recently.
The Villager would have to be "very" crafty in order to catch Rosalina in his tree trap though, so yes, mind games are pretty much his answer. Even then though, it's pretty likely that an experienced Rosalina player would figure out how to stay away from the Villager's trees, even if it means using the Luma to take it down.
Sometimes just keep attacking, don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine.
Rosalina and Villager are both my fav and mains, is Rosalina bad against Villager? I don't know, but I have confidence that she is weak against fast characters like Sonic, Greninja, and Toon Link, but this is just my thought though.

Last edited:

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
They group her as a princess in a Mario Kart 8 article, yeah. She's always referred to as one in relation to that game, and nowhere else, as far as I know.

I still refuse to consider her one though, since it just seems like the localisation team "kiddifying" her for the American young 'uns.
Well, canonically she isn't. I like how they basically said she only adopts Lumas because they're adorable, and that she "scans the cosmos". Someone draw Rosalina lifting up her bang to scan the universe with her right eye! :p

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Ugh, the link makes my browser crash on my tablet everytime I click on it. Hope they fix that, ir is it my tablets problem?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well, canonically she isn't. I like how they basically said she only adopts Lumas because they're adorable, and that she "scans the cosmos". Someone draw Rosalina lifting up her bang to scan the universe with her right eye! :p
Some people say she is, using the fact she still had her crown as a child, as the justification. And they also say that her house was actually the castle that is briefly mentioned in the storybook.

However, I buy neither theory since the game was pretty clear on her house being a small, modest one.

Child... That reminds me but M&S might get a bit pissed so never mind

Baby Rosalina is fake D:

The real Rosalina didn't have white hair when she was younger

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So the first "official" (I'm still waiting for what exactly would define it as such in this instance) Japanese tier list came out, and:

ROSALINA IS GOD TIER

So the first "official" (I'm still waiting for what exactly would define it as such in this instance) Japanese tier list came out, and:

ROSALINA IS GOD TIER
Well, preemptive warning, don't take it like the bible like what most people have warned

You just need to take a look at who's in C, D and E tier to find out why it's so off. A and B are fine though

Oh here
As far as that Smash 4 Tier list is concerned it's pretty clear that the characters who are up high will remain up high. Whether Sheik will actually be the best character in the game remains to be seen - I really doubt it. The only character I find really misplaced is Diddy Kong, whom I think should be very high on the list. But from the 5 top characters I had talked about earler, Japan has 4 of them in A- or B-Tier
The rest of that list is an approximation and a very faint one at best. Palutena as dead last seems like an exaggeration. Shulk and Falco are suspicioulsy low, Kirby also seems to be a bit low. On the other hand Charizard, Mario and Villager seem higher than they should be imo.

:059:

Last edited:
Gais. Come on. I just said every placement of characters below A and B is questionable. Lol

And let's not take any other tier lists seriously until an official one has come out

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't take tier lists as bible (mained Sonic in Brawl despite him having a pretty average ranking). It's just good to keep track of the most notable ones though, I feel. It helps us figure out "who is OBVIOUSLY great, and is it only because we aren't giving other characters enough time in the lab?".

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Wasn't there a canonical tier list on Smashboards somewhere? Rosalina was considered one of the top because she was like an immortal space deity.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

ROSALINA IS GOD TIER
Take this with a grain of salt people, as once Smash 3DS is released internationally, the international tiers will likely be very different.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav

ROSALINA IS GOD TIER
Yoshi tho lol. I'll consider this incomplete till little bit longer, we need to get ahold of the game ourselves after all.

Last edited:
I don't take tier lists as bible (mained Sonic in Brawl despite him having a pretty average ranking). It's just good to keep track of the most notable ones though, I feel. It helps us figure out "who is OBVIOUSLY great, and is it only because we aren't giving other characters enough time in the lab?".
Well to be honest and as said, the A/B tier is fine. But if you should see everything below that, you're probably gonna get a laugh or two

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wasn't there a canonical tier list on Smashboards somewhere? Rosalina was considered one of the top because she was like an immortal space deity.
That's actually a fairly active thread even today, and I was actually the main person speaking for Rosalina being canonically the most powerful Smash character, tied with Shulk.

Reception to the theory was mixed but more on the supportive side (and I posted my list to tumblr and it got support there too).

The discussion has moved on from Rosalina for a while now, currently seems to be focusing on Sonic (who I have also been speaking in defense of but I'm kinda giving it a break because it's getting tedious and I just want Smash to come out).

To summarise the discussion, people argued that Rosalina can't actually be that powerful if she needed Mario's help in Galaxy, but I argued that this is blatant "gameplay-story segregation", since Rosalina, even with just her demonstrated powers in Galaxy 1 alone being taken into consideration, demonstrates that she would be perfectly capable of handling Bowser with ease, and could definitely collect all of the Power Stars (and 3D World backs up that she can go on a platforming adventure even using her most basic abilities). And Bowser raids the Mushroom Kingdom no problem with his huge fleet, yet had to resort to absorbing the Comet Observatory's power from a great distance, and despite the Observatory's small size and lack of turret defenses or anything of the sort, Bowser doesn't dare touch it. Why? Well Rosalina's there, of course. Rosalina is just as much a victim of gameplay-story segregation as Peach always has been, which is a shame, but it should NOT be used to say she ISN'T powerful, because it means nothing. Canonically, in cutscenes and such, the powers Rosalina has are immense, way more than even Bowser could hope to achieve.

People also argued that the universe's rebirth was not Rosalina's doing (it's commonly accepted that it is her doing), and that she said it was the Lumas doing it, but she never said this, she merely said they would be reborn, much like almost everything else. Also, trying to assume Rosalina was not the person handling this process opens some gaping plotholes in the Galaxy lore, many of which pertain to Rosalina's own existence being a huge contradiction under this assumption, and nobody could/can come up with ways to make it seem otherwise. That's why the implication is obviously that it is her doing.

Rosalina is generally just one of the most misunderstood and misinterpreted characters I know, a lot of people miss very obvious details about her and it baffles me as to why.

Here's the topic:
http://smashboards.com/threads/whos-canonically-the-strongest-character-in-smash.347421/

And here's my most up to date version of my list (only did Smash 4 characters though):

SSS: :rosalina::4shulk:
SS::4sonic::4kirby:
S: :4bowser::4palutena::4pit::4darkpit::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4samus::4metaknight::4myfriends::4robinm::4robinf::4megaman::4falcon::4ness:
A::4tlink::4fox::4falco::4charizard::4pikachu::4lucario::4bowserjr::4marth::4lucina::4wario::4zss::4dedede::4peach::4mario::4drmario::4luigi:
B: :4greninja::4dk::4diddy::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4yoshi::4littlemac:
C: :4olimar::4alph::4wiifit::4wiifitm:
X::4duckhunt::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4pacman::4rob::4villager::4villagerf::4mii::4miif::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

Just as an FYI, characters a tier below another character does have a chance against the higher tier character if they were fighting, but they would likely require some extra help in the form of power-ups. Or just dumb luck.

X Tier represents "Unranked" characters.

:4duckhunt::4gaw::4mii::4miif::4rob::4villager::4villagerf:These guys are unranked because they are all docile in their source games as far as I am aware.

:4jigglypuff::4pacman: These two are unranked because I simply do not know enough about them to judge.

Well to be honest and as said, the A/B tier is fine. But if you should see everything below that, you're probably gonna get a laugh or two
Well to be fair, I can't speak for many of the characters there myself.

Mega Man should definitely be higher though. I can't see him being any lower than mid tier. I doubt he will become top tier, but he's still really solid. He has a very poor match-up against Rosalina, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom