• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
If Peach was hugging Rosalina, her head would fall gently, slightly above Rosalina's chest. It's like the perfect mother-daughter height. Game Conspiracy Theory reference lol.

----------------

By the way, on VGBootCamp's stream, when I saw Luma being trapped by Sheik's F-Tilt over and over, Rosalina was having a hard time getting Luma back (Sheik is on left, Luma's in next to Sheik, Rosa's on the far right).

With Luma in constant hitstun, calling back Luma wouldn't work, so the Rosalina player dash attacked to save Luma. Now, if that situation were to happen again in a few months from now, that would be extremely risky. Dash Attacking could set Rosalina up easily for punish, and jabbing after dash attacking isn't exactly fool-proof against fast players like Sheik. Dash Attacking may cancel / clash with Sheik's F-Tilt, but after that, you only have so many options, you're putting yourself in a tricky situation. Taking an aerial approach is difficult too. Rosalina's Dair might hit, but if Sheik stops F-Tilting Luma and shields / rolls / spot dodges Rosa's Dair (or if Dair misses), Sheik can immediately attack with almost anything, and guess what? Luma still is in hitstun until he touches the ground, so he can't help you if Sheik is attacking you.

So another aerial approach is Rosa's Bair and I don't know if it's less risky than Dair (Bair has more landing lag than Dair though). So after Bairing, if Sheik Rolls left, Luma can finally touch the ground and act out of hitstun because Sheik won't be near Luma to attack again, but Sheik can attack Rosalina without fear of being hit by Luma since Luma's on the right of Rosalina. If Sheik rolls right, then the opposite might happen, trapping Luma again. However, if Rosa's Bair is shielded by Shiek, Sheik has few options. Either roll since rolls are buffed up, jump, or attack. If Sheik attacks Rosalina, Luma has already been out of hitstun and can attack Sheik. If Sheik attacks Luma, Rosalina can punish Sheik and follow up with Luma shortly. I'd write more but I can't think properly at the moment. My brain's fried.
Well....just like I had said, Rosalina is poor against fast paced characters like Sheik, Sonic, Litttle Mac etc. due to her slow attacks, so the main problem is: How can you use Luma to KO opponets? Most just like to launch Luma to KO, but for the pros, frequently giving others damage could be the best option. Her grabs are useful too. Also, when you use her final smash, you should drag all of the opponets into the power star because it works a bit like the B bomb. And gravitational pull is also useful against projectiles, it can also gives you advantage for getting items.
I would like to give you more tips but I don't have much time playing it.
The 3DS version it is really hard to see your opponets' moves so it was really hard for me to against the Lv.9 cpus.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
In any case, I think people are grossly overstating the cost of letting Luma die. Never, ever, ever, ever, put yourself at risk to save Luma. Obviously, don't TRY to get Luma killed, but the respawn time is short. I didn't count exactly how long, but I'll pull up the information at some point today.
Plus, it's not like Rosalina is defenseless without her Luma. On the contrary, based on videos I've seen, losing a Luma isn't even near half as bad as Popo losing Nana, so Rosalina doesn't exactly use Luma as a crutch more than a compliment.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Luma is a big part of the character, but it feels secondary. Luma doesn't even accompany Rosalina on the Classic Mode map.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Luma is a big part of the character, but it feels secondary. Luma doesn't even accompany Rosalina on the Classic Mode map.
Yeah, I was wondering that too.
I really missed Ice Climbers so I might treat Rosalina & Luma as a replacement for them.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
I'm curios. Are there any ranged moves gravitational pull doesn't work on and if so, what are they?

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I'm curios. Are there any ranged moves gravitational pull doesn't work on and if so, what are they?
Probably the same number of things that can be Reflected/PSI Magnetized/Pocketed, with possibly some further restrictions similar to PSI Magnet, plus whatever items she can pull towards her.

Last edited:

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
So you basically have no idea. I didn't ask how many. Those three examples you listed all have inherently different attributes. At this point I'm just going to assume it works on both energy and physical projectiles. I mean we already know it works on Megaman's FS, Meowth's coins, and Mario's FLUDD which proves it doesn't have a type restriction.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
we already know it works on Megaman's FS
EXCUSE ME?!? When did this come up, this is huge for Rosalina! I mean, I know about Villager's Pocket being able to cheese out of certain FSs with the abnormally large inuln. frames, but this is new to me.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
A video by WiiFolderJosh nicely showcases all the taunts in the game (except Link who was erroneously left out). You can get a good look at Rosalina's starting around the 1:44 mark. I wouldn't be surprised if the video were to be taken down and replaced because of the aforementioned error, so let's be forgiving.

I'm grateful for how clear the video is, I took the liberty of making a GIF of one of Rosalina's taunts and putting it in my signature. When the Wii U game rolls in, I'll likely not be able to resist creating many GIFs of her moves and such, even if I need to record footage myself. I want to get my hands on her...

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
A video by WiiFolderJosh nicely showcases all the taunts in the game (except Link who was erroneously left out). You can get a good look at Rosalina's starting around the 1:44 mark. I wouldn't be surprised if the video were to be taken down and replaced because of the aforementioned error, so let's be forgiving.

I'm grateful for how clear the video is, I took the liberty of making a GIF of one of Rosalina's taunts and putting it in my signature. When the Wii U game rolls in, I'll likely not be able to resist creating many GIFs of her moves and such, even if I need to record footage myself. I want to get my hands on her...
I really love how Rosalina says, " Mm humm.." when she does her side taunt, she doesn't screams much when she git hit though.

Last edited:

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
EXCUSE ME?!? When did this come up, this is huge for Rosalina! I mean, I know about Villager's Pocket being able to cheese out of certain FSs with the abnormally large inuln. frames, but this is new to me.
First of all, I really hope you're not confusing Forward Smash with Final Smash. Next, at what point would you ever think it wouldn't? It's literally an energy blast type projectile so not only does GP work on it, if the MM is too close, GP will turn it against him. That applies to all projectiles it catches in its orbit before they're neutralized.

In this game more than ever before players are going to have to think twice about using certain moves on characters with direct counters to their type unless their opponent is in strong hit-stun. GP helps to more or less shutdown multiple attacking options for a number of characters simply by existing.

We don't talk about or appreciate specials like GP enough. It's not until you try another character that lacks a projectile counter and Duck Hunt is bombarding you with a veritable onslaught of ranged death that you think to yourself "Gravitational Pull I'll never take you for granted again. Please forgive me."

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, not a lot of streamers have been making use of Gravitational Pull. In fact, I haven't seen it used once in my memory. I'd assume it can effect anything that can be reflected or pocketed though, since you seem to be able to reflect a wider range of projectiles now.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, not a lot of streamers have been making use of Gravitational Pull. In fact, I haven't seen it used once in my memory. I'd assume it can effect anything that can be reflected or pocketed though, since you seem to be able to reflect a wider range of projectiles now.
I'm guessing that any projectile that can't be blocked/reflected will be unaffected by Gravitational Pull. This does include Final Smashes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Basically any projectile that isn't related to a Final Smash can probably be GP'd.

This game seem so be going all out with this sort of stuff. Mega Man's Hard Knuckle and Villager's Bowling Ball can both be reflected/pocketed, so it's likely they can be GP'd.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
First of all, I really hope you're not confusing Forward Smash with Final Smash. Next, at what point would you ever think it wouldn't? It's literally an energy blast type projectile so not only does GP work on it, if the MM is too close, GP will turn it against him. That applies to all projectiles it catches in its orbit before they're neutralized.

In this game more than ever before players are going to have to think twice about using certain moves on characters with direct counters to their type unless their opponent is in strong hit-stun. GP helps to more or less shutdown multiple attacking options for a number of characters simply by existing.

We don't talk about or appreciate specials like GP enough. It's not until you try another character that lacks a projectile counter and Duck Hunt is bombarding you with a veritable onslaught of ranged death that you think to yourself "Gravitational Pull I'll never take you for granted again. Please forgive me."
Okay, so since Rosalina's GP can affect Mega Man's FS, I'm assuming that it also affects WFT's FS too? Which Final Smashes can Rosalina GP? Mario's should be one, right? Name all of them pwetty pwease?

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
Try actually reading the first sentence of my post. Stop. Think. Comprehend. You have completely misunderstood. WFT's forward smash is a Warrior yoga pose. How in world could you possibly think GP would have any effect on a melee attack? Hence you doing exactly what that first sentence warned you not to do.

Forward Smash. Forward Smash. Forward Smash. NOT Final Smash. Not once have I ever said anything about GP affecting Final Smashes. Got it this time? Great.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Try actually reading the first sentence of my post. Stop. Think. Comprehend. You have completely misunderstood. WFT's forward smash is a Warrior yoga pose. How in world could you possibly think GP would have any effect on a melee attack? Hence you doing exactly what that first sentence warned you not to do.

Forward Smash. Forward Smash. Forward Smash. NOT Final Smash. Not once have I ever said anything about GP affecting Final Smashes. Got it this time? Great.
Cut the attitude, she just misinterpreted. "FS" is actually used to abbreviate "Final Smash". The accepted abbreviation for Forward Smash is actually "FSmash" or "F-Smash", just like with "F-Tilt" or "F-Air" or "F-Special", as it refers to a direction based move, and when abbreviating those, you would normally take the first letter of the direction's word (in this case, "F" for "Forward"), followed by the type of move (in this case, a Smash Attack).

People wouldn't be misinterpreting what you're saying if you were using the correct abbreviations in the first place. And either way, there is no need to get antsy at people. Otherwise, people will start ignoring your posts altogether because you're being unpleasant about the discussion.

To answer the questions about the range of things GP can be effective against - we don't definitively know the extent of it, but pretty much anything that is simply a projectile in a literal sense will probably work. For example, Villager's Side Smash, the Bowling Ball, may not look like a projectile in a typical sense, but it is considered one. Mario can reflect it, and another Villager can pocket it and use it again. And the thing does fall until it actually hits ground. So I assume GP will work on the Bowling Ball.

However, GP seems to also be effective against "stream projectiles" too, like the water from FLUDD or the coins from Meowth. I don't know if Fox's reflector can reflect those off the top of my head, so if it can't, then the ability to counter these is unique to Rosalina (and maybe Ness too).

You must understand that only one frequent user of the Rosalina boards has the full game right now, and he doesn't have the time to log on and do research for us and all of that. So we really aren't able to get much information on her. Unfortunately, she's not some male martial artist, sword user, or a beastly character, which tend to be the most popular Smash characters. So it's hard to find people with the JP version that will test her out (that, and people seem particularly intimidated by her complex playstyle). VGBootCamp took her to the lab, but they were mostly concerned with how Rosalina & Luma function as a pair and how to set up combos with them. They weren't really thinking about her defensive options all that much.

So we're just gonna have to wait for October 3rd so we can extensively research her ourselves.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Cut the attitude, she just misinterpreted. "FS" is actually used to abbreviate "Final Smash". The accepted abbreviation for Forward Smash is actually "FSmash" or "F-Smash", just like with "F-Tilt" or "F-Air" or "F-Special", as it refers to a direction based move, and when abbreviating those, you would normally take the first letter of the direction's word (in this case, "F" for "Forward"), followed by the type of move (in this case, a Smash Attack).

People wouldn't be misinterpreting what you're saying if you were using the correct abbreviations in the first place. And either way, there is no need to get antsy at people. Otherwise, people will start ignoring your posts altogether because you're being unpleasant about the discussion.
Thank you for posting this. I was worried I'd have to get into an argument with this person because I was about to reply to him. I felt pretty attacked, so thanks again for defending me. <3 I actually thought he meant Final Smashes because going back through the replies / posts he made, this was the farthest I got:

So you basically have no idea. I didn't ask how many. Those three examples you listed all have inherently different attributes. At this point I'm just going to assume it works on both energy and physical projectiles. I mean we already know it works on Megaman's FS, Meowth's coins, and Mario's FLUDD which proves it doesn't have a type restriction.
Plus, his first sentence didn't tell me anything other than him hoping that someone is not confusing Forward Smash with Final Smash.

Try actually reading the first sentence of my post.
Okay.
First of all, I really hope you're not confusing Forward Smash with Final Smash.
Your first sentence. ^^

Sorry for misunderstanding. Pretty much everyone posts "FS" as Final Smash and "Forwards Smash" as F-Smash, not the other way around.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm guessing that any projectile that can't be blocked/reflected will be unaffected by Gravitational Pull. This does include Final Smashes.
Some like daybreak, B-bomb, are too powerful for her to reflect(Of course), final smashes nuff said.
Thank you for posting this. I was worried I'd have to get into an argument with this person because I was about to reply to him. I felt pretty attacked, so thanks again for defending me. <3 I actually thought he meant Final Smashes because going back through the replies / posts he made, this was the farthest I got:

Plus, his first sentence didn't tell me anything other than him hoping that someone is not confusing Forward Smash with Final Smash.

Okay.

Your first sentence. ^^

Sorry for misunderstanding. Pretty much everyone posts "FS" as Final Smash and "Forwards Smash" as F-Smash, not the other way around.
That person should go check the Smash Bros abbreviation dictionary.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A list of projectiles and items that Gravitational Pull can be used on would be very helpful, though it'll most likely take a long time to make with the game still only available in Japan.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
A list of projectiles and items that Gravitational Pull can be used on would be very helpful, though it'll most likely take a long time to make with the game still only available in Japan.
I also wanted to test if Villager can Pocket projectiles and items caught in Gravitational Pull, but someone else might have to test this, unless my siblings download the demo and if the demo works with the full game in local wireless play.

Also, we should abbreviate Gravitational Pull as GP from now on. I don't know if people do this already, but if we already do, I'm so late.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I also wanted to test if Villager can Pocket projectiles and items caught in Gravitational Pull, but someone else might have to test this, unless my siblings download the demo and if the demo works with the full game in local wireless play.

Also, we should abbreviate Gravitational Pull as GP from now on. I don't know if people do this already, but if we already do, I'm so late.
The demo is not compatible with the full game at all, unfortunately.

As for the latter suggestion, I don't believe people have been doing it, but I've started doing it just because the name is so long otherwise.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The thing is, GP can also stand for Grand Prix, but I guess that's more of a Mario Kart thing. Nevertheless, it never hurts to use the full name of a move, instead of taking shortcuts.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
The demo is not compatible with the full game at all, unfortunately.
Well there goes my testing with Villager and Rosalina.

As for the latter suggestion, I don't believe people have been doing it, but I've started doing it just because the name is so long otherwise.
The thing is, GP can also stand for Grand Prix, but I guess that's more of a Mario Kart thing. Nevertheless, it never hurts to use the full name of a move, instead of taking shortcuts.
Well I think we should abbreviate the name to something. My main concern is that most of the Smash Community (and maybe Tournament Announcers) will most like not use the full name, but instead shorten it to something like Gravity Pull. Besides, the word "Gravitational" is such a tiring word to type out as I often make grammatical errors and my freakishly short fingers increases my errors.

We should call it "Gravity Pull" or at least something. Also, even though GP can stand for Grand Prix, I don't think that's really a problem. Like you said, it's more of a Mario Kart thing. If you prefer to use the full name, then by all means go ahead. At this point, people are mostly using their own abbreviations, an example being RosaLuma (Andre from Gamexplain calls them that).

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
There seems to be a lot of talk about Gravitational Pull. I could've sworn everyone thought it was useless. Did something happen to change everyone's minds?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There seems to be a lot of talk about Gravitational Pull. I could've sworn everyone thought it was useless. Did something happen to change everyone's minds?
Nobody thought it was useless, there just wasn't much to talk about on it for a while. Still isn't, really.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I think in his context FS is short for forward smash, not final smash.
Yeah. We sorted out the misunderstanding. My friend here fixed the problem by replying to him already.

"FS" is actually used to abbreviate "Final Smash". The accepted abbreviation for Forward Smash is actually "FSmash" or "F-Smash", just like with "F-Tilt" or "F-Air" or "F-Special", as it refers to a direction based move, and when abbreviating those, you would normally take the first letter of the direction's word (in this case, "F" for "Forward"), followed by the type of move (in this case, a Smash Attack).
So we can now leave this behind us, okay?

Anyways, could Rosalina's Gravity Pull slow her down when she's launched? Has anyone seen this in action? I know I mentioned that in videos / streams, her Gravity Pull can stop her from ascending while jumping, but can this apply to when she's launched vertically? Gravity Pull doesn't seem to stop / slow her down when she's falling or going down.

Last edited:

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I remember accidentally absorbing Robin's Thoron (fully charged neutral B I think) while I was playing Xzax on stream as well as something else. The move's wide area of effect definitely surprised me.

I don't have a jp 3DS, but I'm trying to get to Chibo's place as much as I can to play before the US release so I can try to test anything that people want me to. I'm dying to play more Rosalina.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Anyways, could Rosalina's Gravity Pull slow her down when she's launched? Has anyone seen this in action? I know I mentioned that in videos / streams, her Gravity Pull can stop her from ascending while jumping, but can this apply to when she's launched vertically? Gravity Pull doesn't seem to stop / slow her down when she's falling or going down.
I wouldn't see this as likely, given that they fixed the issue from Brawl where you can act immediately out of hitstun. If launched vertically for a KO in Smash 4 now, the only thing that will save you at that point is DI.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yeah. We sorted out the misunderstanding. My friend here fixed the problem by replying to him already.

So we can now leave this behind us, okay?

I'll try that sometime, I haven't used Rosalina in real battle yet, cuz I haven't completely mastered her.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Can confirm you can't GP final smashes, everything else is fair game though (except for Duck Hunt Dog's down B). Also when you DP an item, you become the "owner" for all intents and purposes (so like rob's gyro will hurt the rob, diddy will trip on his banana, ect.) but the item will be in front of you.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Can confirm you can't GP final smashes, everything else is fair game though (except for Duck Hunt Dog's down B). Also when you DP an item, you become the "owner" for all intents and purposes (so like rob's gyro will hurt the rob, diddy will trip on his banana, ect.) but the item will be in front of you.
Now will GP ever reflect a non-item attack? Or are there any other properties to it? (i.e. heal, etc)

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Non items just dissipate, there does not seem to be any other properties to it. It also has low cooldown making it easy to spam and be pretty much projectile immune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom