• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Useless Attack

TheLegendOfVenusaur

Smash Apprentice
Earlier today, I was playing melee and I thought 'which attack is the most useless. This can be because it's slow, doesn't do a lot of damage or has a small hitbox. Personally, I think Zelda's down air is the most useless. It barely does any damage and has a really hard hitbox. Which do you think it is?

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
I just don't find it useful. It's not really a recovery move, it rather a move to get a last attack in before you die. Just my two cents.
but thats not what it is supposed to be used for, its like saying mewtwos teleport is useless because it doesnt deal damage

d z

Smash Cadet
I'm not gonna bother with the low tiers because I don't know enough about them to comment, but of the tourney relevant characters the answer has to be Sheik's side-b. People say down-b but that move is really useful to recover because of Zelda's floatiness. People might say that side-b can be used as an edgeguard but that is a terrible idea since people can just sdi up that chain and you not only help them recover but then end up with them right in front of you while you have to enter cool down from the move. Jigglypuff's up-b is another decent pick but it has utility as Jigglypuff's fastest way to get to the ledge from on stage.

mewtwo's forward + b. so hard to use it in a combo or to start with it
Did you know that if Zelda holds slightly forward why getting hit with Mewtwo's forward b, she' can toe out of it and possibly KO him before his animation finishes? It's counter-productive to use that move in that matchup

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Roy's entire moveset.
^ this man knows.

Other than that, most of you are ill informed.
Sheik's chain is dope. Best style gimps ever involve the chain.

Yoshi's UpB is legitimately good. Like really damn good. Watch videos of any decent yoshi ever.

Zelda's dair is mad dumb, but I've played TheLake a fair amount and he's done some pretty cute things with it, it's just super situation dependent. Terrible edgeguard, but it does have uses.

sing is dope, people just don't know.

Firebreath is annoying as hell.

Luigi's taunt is pretty bad, I'll give you that.

Mewtwo's sideB is amazing, I won't hear any of that bs.

But yeah, Roy's entire moveset is basically the worst thing in the universe. His downtilt and uair are kinda ok I guess, but roy... he's probably the worst character in the game. He just has DD grab, and that's pretty cool.

Thor

Smash Champion
Darkly Dreaming Dexter said:
Yoshi's up+b.
Go watch aMSa, then TAKE THAT BACK!

If we look at bad stuff, I might just use it wrong, but Game and Watch's down+B is pretty terrible versus Captain Falcon. I also can't find much use for it versus Ganondorf or Sheik.

Roy's entire moveset is not terrible - I'm sure there are a few Marths out there would love to have Blazer's knockback properties when facing Jiggz. Whiffed Rest on PS = stock. Roy's fair is pretty much unusable at low percents though.

Kirby's uthrow at 0% on the opponent is also pretty terrible.

Thor

Smash Champion
Ness's absorb move is not bad when you're teamed with Samus if she has a full powershot she's willing to burn. Same for Mewtwo + Shadowball. It's pretty bad in singles unless you've found a stupidly campy Fox who's taken you to PS or Dreamland.

I forgot Luigi's dash attack. That thing is bad, but a hilarious edgeguarding tool (but it's of course completely outclassed by all of Luigi's aerials for edgeguarding... and also pretty much all of his other ground attacks too).

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganon's utilt is useful. It has more knockback than the warlock punch until you get to like 200% or something (I can't remember anymore), so it's your go-to punish on broken shields and missed rests. Although unnecessary, it can still be legitimately used to edgeguard certain characters (when their recovery options are limited and/or their character's recovery is very linear, so that you know exactly when he will be grabbing the ledge and you have the timing of the utilt down). It definitely guarantees the KO, and plus, the utilt is known to have a demoralizing effect on it's victims lol. why not?

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8217/ganonutiltcombo.gif

Props to whoever said G&W's down-B... that **** makes luigi's taunt look like a falco dair

festizzio

Smash Champion
Kirby's dash attach. You can dash attack off the ledge on Yoshi's and lose a stock because it takes that long to end.

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
luigi's down angle foward tilt, it does absurdly low knock back and hit stun.It doesn't even jab reset. It's negative on hit regardless of percentage . I think it caused abate to lose momentum here: http://youtu.be/31U7-bSkqaU?t=2m22s This move litterally has no uses whatsoever.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Top 5 Worst Moves:
DK's side-B, Ganon's utilt, Ness's dsmash, Ness's down-B, Kirby's down-B

mashing :D
Puff's up-B is great for sweetspotting the ledge from much lower than normal, and singstalling can't be mashed out of if they are ledgecancelling it.

Last edited:

.toasty

Smash Cadet
Sheik Side-B
Peach Side-B
Doc Jab
Ganon U-Tilt
Luigi Taunt
90% of Roy's moves
Game and Watch U-Air
Ness B
Kirby Down-B, B-Throw, F-Throw

SAUS

Smash Ace
^ this man knows.

Other than that, most of you are ill informed.
Sheik's chain is dope. Best style gimps ever involve the chain.

Yoshi's UpB is legitimately good. Like really damn good. Watch videos of any decent yoshi ever.

Zelda's dair is mad dumb, but I've played TheLake a fair amount and he's done some pretty cute things with it, it's just super situation dependent. Terrible edgeguard, but it does have uses.

sing is dope, people just don't know.

Firebreath is annoying as hell.

Luigi's taunt is pretty bad, I'll give you that.

Mewtwo's sideB is amazing, I won't hear any of that bs.

But yeah, Roy's entire moveset is basically the worst thing in the universe. His downtilt and uair are kinda ok I guess, but roy... he's probably the worst character in the game. He just has DD grab, and that's pretty cool.
I think Roy has some pretty good moves, just not enough. His moveset isn't rounded-out enough.

His f-smash is pretty damn good. Maybe with the lower range you could say it's worse than Marth's, but it is still a really strong smash move.
His d-tilt is actually absurdly good.
His up-air is okay.
His up-b is a good recovery move and can one-shot jigglypuff at any damage on certain stages.

Other than that, I can't really think of much. I just don't think "Roy's entire moveset" is a good answer.

Also I don't think Luigi's taunt should count. It's a taunt. If anything, it's the BEST taunt because it can do damage. If you want to count it as an attack, that is some HUGE styling potential. I'd go with Luigi's dash attack, maybe Kirby's. Samus's up-smash is also pretty damn bad.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I've literally never seen a point at which Ness' neutral-B has any usefulness. Predictable, slow, and laggy as all hell; maybe for a flashy edgeguard but???

Jigg's down b is even worse though.

Sensei

Smash Lord
There are plenty of moves in which there is a clear hierarchical difference among them to suggest some to have obvious more benefits and advantages than others. However, in order to name the most useless attack, you need to define what useless is. According to the OP:

This can be because it's slow, doesn't do a lot of damage or has a small hitbox.
This is a pretty specific definition of what useless means. No one can argue against that these are undesirable qualities for an attack. However, these are not useless characteristics. Any attack that deals damage of any sort has some use in a given situation. You can use it for resets or during combos to keep your opponent nearby depending on his percentage or DI. You can use them for mindgames to attack your opponent with a barrage of variety of different attacks to keep them on the defensive and make him lose his group. Hell, even taunts that deal no damage have some uses for mindgames, but they are not attacks by definition. If it is laggy move, you can bait him to come attack you where you know your ending animation will finish before he has a chance to touch you so you can counter attack. A better term would be least useful attack. Thor mentioned Game & Watch's down+b, which I agree if you are facing someone who doesn't have projectiles. In general Luigi's taunt seems to be the least useful because you can see it a mile away, but I love using it for trolling purposes LOL.

Top Bottom