• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most predictable fighters?

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
:4ness: Everyone seems to do the same thing. Either they try to get you in a PK Fire, which you keep your distance and easily avoid it the entire match.... or they try and do his air combo in succession. Also, if you're on the ground and they're falling, they'll make their way towards you to try and land his back air (or forward). It's the same game every almost every time. I'm like "hey, who are you kidding..."

:4falcon: You're not gonna land your Knee of Justice. Stop making it obvious (or don't, lose, I don't care).

:4jigglypuff: Yes you're floaty and will use up your 5 jumps trying to land an attack on me. It's too obvious, kiddo. How to beat? Just roll or keep your distance until they use up their jumps, they're left with no choice but to be on ground soon. Make your move.

:4link: Do I even need to say it. :4tlink:

:4littlemac:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I wouldn't say the Links should be added, because although the type of game you're going to play is predictable in general for FG, I'm fairly sure TL has some really sneaky and cool ATs up his sleeves. If you're playing someone who just spams arrow/rang from 1 side of the screen and then back to the other... yes. But they do have options for days from far to close range.

as someone who's mucked about with kirby, yes that jig scenario applies in the same light. It's just a game of footsie from the sky, but if you are good with fast falls and directional control you can still clip people and find follow ups. You are right though X] expect a lot of float.

A good ness can be pretty fancy with PKT, but in general in FG yes, that's the case.

Not a bad thread for sharing strats and demystifying the "OP". I'm sure a few people who rely on them alone are turning a bit red in the face. But to the people who have worked for more options, don't take this too seriously and keep enjoying your characters should they fall into the list.
:D

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Sounds like you've picked up a bit of salt from playing a lot of For Glory ;)

Ness is definitely predictable. He even feels that way when I play him. Jigglypuff can be but I've learned not to fall into the same patterns over and over when I play her.

Dedede's tend to be predictable.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Well there's good tactics for all characters and there are skilled players for each one of them. Sure I come across some characters who don't rinse & repeat what they've seen others do, but as a whole most of the players tend to do the same thing with what I've seen. Like mix it up and play mind games for once.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Well there's good tactics for all characters and there are skilled players for each one of them. Sure I come across some characters who don't rinse & repeat what they've seen others do, but as a whole most of the players tend to do the same thing with what I've seen. Like mix it up and play mind games for once.
Yeah I agree about the majority, and people definitely need to keep their tactics and attack strats fresh. I just don't want to discourage people from taking a listed character they enjoy further than that level by saying, this character will always be trumped by counterplay because it is naturally predictable. So I just gave a tiny disclaimer at the end. You have definitely put the spotlight on some very abused strats though :D I think this kind of information does more good than bad for everyone.

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
Seems like this is the thread for listing the character's bread and butter combos.

I irk at Ganon's grab thingy to dtilt.:4ganondorf:

Diddy kong's grabbing the banana then peanut gun then throw banana then grab then dthrow then bair or anything. It seems he covered a lot of options.:4diddy:

This guy's just predictable with all the specials and usmash or dsmash when you get close :4duckhunt:

Projectile happy people:4robinm::4samus:
Projectile happy but covers a lot of options: :4link::4tlink::4megaman: :4villager:.

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
:4darkpit: is the worst though. I know they say he lacks any good normal's, but alot of the time i'm just getting Side B'd and getting arrows shot at me, even when i dodge every single side B, alot of dark pitt players will CONTINUE to side B until i get hit.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
:4sonic: - Spindash+Spindash+Spring Jump+Up Air
:4darkpit: - I unfortunately have to agree that 99.9% of Dark Pits rely heavily on Electroshock Arm, making them an easy game.
:4ganondorf: - Flame Choke to D-Tilt. Always uses Dair if coming back to the stage.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
:4charizard: and his Flare Blitz.
:4samus: and her Charge Beam and Missiles.
:4zelda: and Din's Fire.
:4wiifit::4wiifitm: and that Sun Salutation.
:4ness: with PK Fire and PK Thunder.
:4mario: and his Fireballs.
:4link::4tlink: and all those Arrows, Bombs, and Boomerangs.
:4littlemac: always trying to run and hit you. That's why I like dodging it so he falls off the stage.

And I'm a little surprised no one mentioned :4zss: and her Paralyzer shots. I know I spam it sometimes.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Another thing I noticed is that 99% of :4falcon:s will jump as they're approaching me, leaving them open to shorthopped aerials.
:4sheik: - Will often do a Bouncing Fish to recover onto the stage; the landing lag is atrocious and leaves her open to a punish.
:4pikachu: - Thunder Jolt spam from across the stage
:4charizard: - Will often resort to a panicked Flare Blitz if it is being badly beat and is unable to get a move in.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Most characters are very predictable as many people adapt a kind of standard playstyle, there are few people online that actually mix up things and play their own way. It's absolutely worst with the newcomers though.

:4robinm: "ELFIRE ELFIRE ELFIRE ELFIRE THORON ELFIRE ELFIRE"

:4duckhunt: Can -> Clay Pidgeon -> Gunner, rinse and repeat.

:4shulk: F-Smash like there is no tomorrow.

:4darkpit: Side-B -> Side-B -> Side-B -> Dies.

:4megaman: F-Air and B-Air 'till the end.

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
:4sonic: - dash attack, dash attack, spindash, Spring Jump, Up Air and down air.
:4mario:- d throw, up tilt, up tilt, up tilt, up air and up B

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Literally every character on For Glory is predictable more often than not because most people on for glory aren't good. It's a rare gift that you run into somebody even halfway decent, let alone good, online and most of them just spam basic strategies akin to hadoken spam or mashing out hundred hand slap.

Raijinken

Smash Master
:4ness: Everyone seems to do the same thing. Either they try to get you in a PK Fire, which you keep your distance and easily avoid it the entire match.... or they try and do his air combo in succession. Also, if you're on the ground and they're falling, they'll make their way towards you to try and land his back air (or forward). It's the same game every almost every time. I'm like "hey, who are you kidding..."
Maybe I'm odd for having played Ness for 15 years, but aside from an occasional PK Fire (bad habit from PM where it doesn't suck since it triggers on shield there), I prefer the nair nair dair stuff with PK Flash as a finisher. People are entertainingly bad at dodging it over lag.

You forgot about Sheik, too. Needle needle needle tiltiltiltiltiltilt.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
In addition to what's been listed here already, these are the prevalent patterns I've noticed with each character. Just my personal experience though, could be different for others.

:4link:"Flowchart Link" is the worst of them in terms of being predictable from what I've noticed. The Link players I've played against have been nearly indistinguishable from each other. Are they far away? Boomerang first, then charge arrow. Did it work? If yes, keep going, if no, charge in with a dash attack. Responds with a jab combo in almost any situation where there's even the slightest bit closeness between you, and usmash will be coming out if your feet so much as leave the ground. You can read these players so well that an English professor would clap his hands in respect.
:4zss:Very similar playstyle with almost every one of these I fight. Starts the match with either a charged stun gun that obviously doesn't travel all the way to me, or a full sceen run and dash attack, sometimes both, and in that exact sequence. They love the fsmash, and they ALWAYS try to up B when they get a juggle going... usually it fails.
:4bowser:The only moves I've seen of this character played online are dash attack, ftilt, fsmash, and dair/down B (they will 99% of the time try and come down with this) But hey, I'm just happy this character is actually getting played now.

:4olimar::4metaknight: :4peach: These guys fall into the predictable habit of never being in any online matches. :c

Last edited:

Cubonebonebone

Smash Cadet
Link players. It really bothers me because I enjoy Toon Link so much due to his awesome ATs. Ffs you have a zair landing lag canceled with bomb down b, you have a lagless jump canceled bomb throw which combos into so many moves, and you can cancel lag on any move in the air with bombs, but you chose to spam and roll to each side of the stage? Its so much fun to stand under them and roll away from the down air they all do every time and punish them with f smash.

Last edited:

Sir_Waffle33

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirWaffle33
3DS FC
3437-3212-3786
:4sonic: - dash attack, dash attack, spindash, Spring Jump, Up Air and down air.
:4mario:- d throw, up tilt, up tilt, up tilt, up air and up B
To be fair, that's one of the most reliable ways Mario can rack up damage early on. It's his bread and butter.

That being said, I've been on the receiving end of that multiple times. I now realize how annoying Mario can be.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Link players. It really bothers me because I enjoy Toon Link so much due to his awesome ATs. Ffs you have a zair landing lag canceled with bomb down b, you have a lagless jump canceled bomb throw which combos into so many moves, and you can cancel lag on any move in the air with bombs, but you chose to spam and roll to each side of the stage? Its so much fun to stand under them and roll away from the down air they all do every time and punish them with f smash.
This is most likely due to the fact that most casual players are not going to bring ATs to their playstyle, since they most likely don't know of them. So, yeah, a lot of TL players are going to be average at best.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
To be fair, that's one of the most reliable ways Mario can rack up damage early on. It's his bread and butter.

That being said, I've been on the receiving end of that multiple times. I now realize how annoying Mario can be.
I know it's Mario's B&B, I was just noting that it's predictable. Once you get grabbed you just can't help but whisper
"Here we go again..."
LMAO!

Last edited:

Sir_Waffle33

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirWaffle33
3DS FC
3437-3212-3786
I'm in the same boat as you Moon Monkey. I'll even add that I see a lot of Mario players spam their dash attack. I've been guilty of this too, but I've been trying to lay off since most of the time I get punished for it.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Most of the characters are pretty predictable. The ones that you generally cant predict are the ones you dont see too often, so you dont have much experience with them.

:4littlemac: is easily the most predictable though, since all he can do is fake you out to make you wide open, or just dive right at you/spam counter. every little mac is the same, they either spam counter, spam sideb, or overly fakeout. They never add variety to mix up their very simple combo style.
Also KO punch is...dead obvious (badumtssh). Its hilarious when Mac's try to KO punch my wario and i just pull out my bike - they KO punch the bike, and stand there thinking they killed me while i dair their face lol.

:4link: :4tlink: seriously...all they ever do is arrow, boomerang, arrow, boomerang, bomb, forward/upsmash, repeat. Which is pretty sad because both of them have a very powerful combo capability and hit like a damn truck.
:4duckhunt: is the same with his projectiles. They just move differently and have ******** priority for a projectile.

Finally, :4bowser: - i mean, seriously bowser never does anything but dash attack, side smash, sideb, downb, nair, and downsmash. He has other powerful moves, but nobody ever uses them. Also suicide kills....fml

Last edited:

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
This.
:4sonic: Spamming that damn homing attack.
:4littlemac: Most predictable, I mean where is he going to attack you from? The air?
:4duckhunt:What @ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees said, all the DHD's I've faced just do that.
:4pacman:Havent faced a good Pac-Man yet, they just use neutral b a lot.
Really? I play Pac-Man a lot and I've hardly touched his neutral B :p

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Sonic, all I've seen is spamming the same 2 things...homing attack and side b trying to go for that one combo.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
:4bowserjr: usually spams the F-Smash drill or try to use the Mecha Koopa + a Cannon follow-up every time.

:4bowser: and :4yoshi: players have a horrible habit of spamming D-Special any chance they get.

Hey:4sheik:, would you like a new B button? You've been spamming Needles from across the map for the last two minutes. Oh wait, crap... F-Tilt, F-Tilt, F-Tilt, F-Tilt, Bouncing Fish...

Yes, :4dedede:, the Gordo is still going to hurt you when I smack it back at you for the 6th time in the first 20 seconds of the match, think it's time to stop maybe?

:4falcon: is usually desperate to get D-Air or F-Air (Knee) on you, and spams Raptor Boost when he's mad.

:4duckhunt: roll, roll, roll, B, B, B > or < B, B, B roll, roll, roll, F-Smash.

:4shulk: who goes through the entire battle without using a single Monado Art... I don't get it. Without the Monado's power, why would you pick Shulk?

:4lucina: who spams Counter any chance she gets, I find :4lucina: players to use it more than :4marth: players. I don't know why.

link2702

Smash Champion
link and toon link are predictable somewhat on *how* they're going to play(as in projectile camp hard) but that doesn't mean its not gonna be a frustrating time trying to get towards one who knows what they're doing. A link or TLink who knows how to keep that wall of projectiles up properly is a frustrating headache to get close to.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I remember playing this one Falco player who spammed Blaster, Reflector and Side Smash.

Though in terms of other characters... Coming from an awful Pac-Man player, I find that Side Special is used quite a bit. And the Smashes. Don't forget those.

Last edited:
Dedede. His moves broadcast themselves with plenty of time to react. You know when he's going to up-special and where he'll land. You know when there's just enough space between you for him to toss Gordos.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
:4bowser:Forward Smash and Bowser Bomb
:4link: Projectiles
:4lucina:Counter
:4charizard:Flare Blitz

Spirst

I have to wonder how many of the people here are just playing crappy players using those characters as opposed to the characters themselves being predictable. :4littlemac:doesn't have many options so as a character, he's fairly predictable. But characters like :4duckhunt:can do more than just spam projectiles (which is the hallmark of a **** DH player).

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
:4greninja: When they are really bad, they spam shurikens and dairs. Cauz' Dairs are so cool right ?
:4bowser: Usually loves to spam the "Butt Slam" and Fsmash. Also tries to be a kamikaze with his FowardB. Always fails at it.
:4charizard: Flare Blitz. Just that. Damaging yourself is apparently good for them.
:4yoshi: When good, it's a pleasure to fight him. When bad, keep spamming his DownB like an idiot and always tries to eat you with his NeutralB.

:4lucina:/:4marth: Tries to counter. Fails at it. Otherwise, great fighters when well played.
:4dedede: Gordos everyday. Gets hit by them.
:4bowserjr: Generally wants to troll with his koopas and canon balls. When it's well played, it's great. Otherwise, it's even more predictable than Charizard.
:4littlemac: Wants to Dash attack no matter what. Also loves to use his Neutral A and his foward smash. Always counters when he's in a bad position/being comboded (is this a word ?). Not a fly or a mosquito in the air.

:4link:/:4tlink: Boomrang, arrows, roll and repeat the process. Sometimes uses bombs. Fails at throwing them right. Loves his all his smash attacks because they hit multiple times. But when played good, awesome fighters.

That's just in the "For Glory" mode of course.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
The most predictible are Little mac, Dedede and Link. Little Mac always tries to dash attack when he gets the chance and counters whenever they are up to a corner. Dedede players just spam gordos and use their inhale to put distance between them and when he does go rush down he does dash attacks like no tomorrow as well as his down B. Link players always spam arrows and boomerangs and rolls when in a bad scenario also almost always does his down air when in the air but link can be unpredictible when played rush down

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Am I the only one who successfully plays D3 without Gordo abuse? It's not a true safe projectile...... It's not something you should spam, and has major kill potential if you keep it fresh for that pocket ace. later on in the match. Obviously you should take advantage if it's a ranged punish option that couldn't be reached otherwise, but it should be reactionary if anything early on.

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
:4charizard: Does nothing but flare blitz spam
:4lucario: Does nothing but Aura sphere spam
:4sonic: Does nothing but homing attack spam. (Even I tend to do it)

WhuTom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-9000-8776
I find ZSS quite a predictable character on For Glory, and Sonic too. Everybody seems to know their follow up moves.

Where are you guys finding Charizards? I haven't played a single one yet in 200 games.

Last edited:

HYP3R

Smash Lord
Most villagers on For Glory just sit there and plant the tree over and over, and when i'm like "I'm not going over there" they spam gyroids. It's not that I have a problem against villager, it just makes the matchup painfully slow.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
You guys are making me feel terrible as a Link player! XD

:4sonic: Ugh, the homing attack spam, followed by the up b+uair+dair.

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
I find many :4greninja:s instinctively using Down Air to the point where I could walk away from it, Grab, Up Throw, then see it come down again for another punish.
I'm aware that there's good players that don't spam it but there's many that still do it nontheless.

Top Bottom