• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most overrated and underrated TV shows.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I don't know why they took of Courage the Cowardly Dog, that show was the best and used to scare me. Did they take it off because it was underrated? or maybe because it was too old, look at Tom and Jerry, it still shows at 12. (For those ignorant enough to think im 9, please go to rehab. I just like these shows ok?)

My personal favorite was Freaky Fred ;)
Freaky Fred reminded me of Sweeney Todd. I think the most underated show was Dexter's Laboratory and overrrated was the Finstones. The Jetsons were so much better imo...

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Freaky Fred reminded me of Sweeney Todd. I think the most underated show was Dexter's Laboratory and overrrated was the Finstones. The Jetsons were so much better imo...
I loved Dexter's Laboratory, BUT NOOOO they had to take it off!

Freaky Fred is a
naaaauuuuggghhttttyyyy rapist.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
All successful reality TV shows are overrated because eternally pretty mary sues between the ages of "barely legal" and "barely twenty" do not represent reality, the axis upon which the genre is supposed to stand.

Family Guy has lots its genuine spark and is now a string of poorly connected jokes.

I think Scrubs is underrated, and I thought The Loop was especially so because it was "airline company Scrubs" and yet was dropped so quickly.

The only shows I consider "accurated" are Futurama and Lost.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Overrated: Naruto and Family Guy

Underrated: Futurama, although not a hated show by any means, it is just so awesome that if it's not number 1 it is underrated.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
@Blackadder

Scrubs is ALWAYS underrated! :p

Peeze

Smash Master
Overrated: American Idol or Seinfeld.
I agree. I dont know if this will cause the world to end but i never really found seinfeld funny. A little, but not like people always say.

I think golden girls and diffrent strokes are underrated. I hated those shows when i was younger, but now i understand the humor.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I didn't care for Seinfeld at first. It just gets funnier the more you watch it. Or that was the case for me.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's a bit of the old Simpsons fan in me who loved it when it was at its best, but I do find Family Guy a little overrated. Not that it's bad at what it sets out to shamelessly do, which its pretty decent at, but sometimes I can't help but think of it as a symbol of the nostalgic indulgance trend that's going around right now. A lot of dangling a fishing hook with a prized memory of yours in front of your face, but not a whole lot much else. It's the cheapest form of humor in my opinion, though the show itself seems very aware of that to be fair. I shamlessly admit myself that sometimes it's downright hilarious, but it's certainly not a better version of the Simpsons like some say.

Speaking of them, although I think it's a bit laughable to say the Simpsons of all things is underrated, I think some aspects of it have been severely underestimated. I think that could be one reason why it's become so dry and mechanical compared to before, sometimes I feel like it's trying to appease the thoughtless too much. Granted I think some people do overrate even the greatest of this shows years just a tiny bit, but it's still darn good TV. Blue collar humor that under the surface didn't feel like it had to act like it.

I don't think Invader Zim is overrated per say, because it is a pretty decent show. It just has some of the most irritating fans this side of Star Trek but as strange as it sounds...even they don't exactly overrate it much of the time. It is what it is.

Probably the king of underrated western TV animation is Gargoyles though.

I find a ton of anime overrated as hell. I'm not anti-anime though mind you, hell I'm a very big fan of the ones that are good but you know how anime-otaku can be sometimes. If its made in Japan it's automatic deeply written gold to some people, but I just find that pretentious. That's getting into a whole other ball game though.

When it comes to things that arn't animated, I always found Friends to be pretty overrated. Maybe it's just that its "thing" isn't my thing, you know...basically a humor soap opera(Though MASH was kinda that, and that was brilliant so I don't know.) but some episodes I've watched felt really bland.

There are times I find 24 a little on the overrated side, though it's still certainly a great action show. Leagues better than a lot of others that try the same thing.

I'm not sure if I want to think of Generation Kill as overrated or underrated. On one end it is a very intense show that shows a very different side of the Iraq war, and it's probably a little more decently accurate than other portrayals. At times though I think it gets a bit ahead of itself when it comes to the soldiers' more extreme behavior. But I've never been there so I can't say I know that. It's a good show regardless.

The semi-Dr. Who spinoff Torchwood I found a bit on the overrated side too. Not that it was bad, it was still pretty fun to watch but I didn't find it as good as some said.

Ehh I'm gonna be here all night naming things at this rate so I'll stop. I will say though that I kind of -want- to say things like American Idol are overrated...but while I find it questionable entertainment myself it does what it promises to the audience that watches it. So you know...what can I say.

The most overrated show of all time if you ask me is 7th Heaven.

M.K

Level 55
Overrated: Desperate Housewives, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Seinfeld....

Underrated: Robot Chicken, MadTV, Mythbusters, WIPEOUT!!!!!!

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Overrated: Naruto, American Idol, Family Guy. And I believe SNL is still overrated: they still try to play up it's prestige, but the skits have gone down significantly over the years and yet people still exalt the stars and crew members on it. Heroes is also somewhat overrated, even though I like the show.

Underrated: Battlestar Galactica, Monk, Arrested Development are all somewhat underrated/left under the radar.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Can't believe no one has pointed out Arrested Development as being underrated. It's probably hands down the funniest show I've ever seen yet it was cancelled in the states and over here the BBC only airs it around 1:30 a.m. which is frankly ridiculous. Other massively underrated shows are Would I Lie To You? and Firefly.

EDIT: Virg?! Where did you come from!

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Arrested Development should be more known, though I'm not sure if it was meant to have gone on for much longer than it did without losing something personally. Though it needed one more season.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Underrated: Futurama.

Dang, I miss that show.

Blackadder

Smash Master
@Blackadder

Scrubs is ALWAYS underrated! :p
Huzzah! :bee:

Underrated: Futurama.

Dang, I miss that show.
I do too, though I hold the somewhat unpopular opinion that the new movie kinda sucked. It ret conned a lot of the episodes that ended on a bittersweet to downright sour ending. Kinda seems like giving into the demand for happy endings.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Overrated: Monty Python's Flying Circus. Hardly mainstream in a commercial sense, but it's overzealous fanbase makes up for it a hundred times over. The movies, the tv show, it's all getting really dated. Groundbreaking for it's time, maybe, but no longer worthy of the kind of adoration and worship it gets at the hands of it's fans, usually socially awkward intellectual types. No guys, the dead parrot sketch isn't really that funny.

Underrated: The IT crowd. At least down here. It may be huge everywhere else though.

New South Park >> Old South Park. It's like they worked out that they wanted to spend their time taking the piss out of everything and just set about tearing things to shreds. I think it's gotten much funnier. And to family guy's credit it too has gotten better since series 3, which was kind of it's low point.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Huzzah! :bee:

I do too, though I hold the somewhat unpopular opinion that the new movie kinda sucked. It ret conned a lot of the episodes that ended on a bittersweet to downright sour ending. Kinda seems like giving into the demand for happy endings.
Well it is back on TV now.

But as for the films, your opinion isn't as unpopular as you think. Opinions about them, especially the most recent DVD release are pretty mixed all around from what I see. I thought the first one was alright all around, despite the cheapening of Jurassic Bark which was a pretty big upset among a lot of Futurama fans even if they may have liked the film overall. It did try to nostalga-ize itself with references to the past episodes a bit much, but it was resurrecting itself so I could look past that. I don't know if it was about trying to have a happy ending as much as it was those things personally, it's better than forcing itself to be depressing or witty anyways (something the Simpsons I think started to suffer from tremendously). The second film though I thought was a total mess. Just too much stuff and no real close to any of it, and we didn't need to go back to Fry's lovelife after having an entire first film dedicated to that. I like the emotive stories centered around Fry, but when they're scattered. Not back to back like this it makes you wonder what the point of watching the first one was.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Overrated: House is severely overrated. It amazes me that it is still on. I came to this conclusion after hearing the praise of it after I stopped trying to watch it. Also law and order and CSI, they're trying to hard to be serious and sometimes its written poorly. I almost forgot these: The gilmore girls and 7th heaven, I am glad they're off tv.
I feel Reaper doesn't get attention and it should. These are just my opinions though.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
7th Heaven was bewildering to me. It had some of the blandest writing I've ever watched in action from the start, and many critical and casual alike had slammed it for years....yet it was one of the longest running shows of its kind with decent ratings. I guess...more power to them if it worked, who am I to judge? Still though like I said before, if you ask me it's the most overrated show of all time no argument. Or in the very least, it's up there.

I think House is good but it just depends on your tolerance of episodic series', because it's very episodic.

Top Bottom