• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Obscure Video Game facts

SonicMario

Smash Master
Note to zee Mods: Close this thread if there was one already made or if you consider this not needed here.

This is just asking, about what is the most obscure Video game fact you know? I thought i would make this thread to ask what very little known facts in the Video game world that you know by heart.

Sandy

Smash Champion
I like these:

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime used to be the senior director of national marketing at Pizza Hut. While there he launched the Bigfoot Pizza and The Big New Yorker.

David Hayter, the voice of Solid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid games, wrote the screenplay for the movie X-Men.

The inflated breast size of Lara Croft was the result of designer Toby Gard accidentally adjusting the model's chest to 150% its intended size and being persuaded by other designers working on the game that the ballooned boobs should stay.

The sprouting, titular Pikmin from the GameCube games were named after Shigeru Miyamoto’s dog.

Steve Downes, the man who provides the voice for Halo’s Master Chief, is a DJ for a radio station in Chicago.

The Chain Chomp enemies in Mario games were inspired by a dog, chained to a post that belonged to a neighbour of Miyamoto during his childhood.

Each of Gran Turismo 4’s 700+ cars took approximately one month for a designer to create.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
You know, you don't have to give permission to the mods to close your thread, they'll do it if they feel it's neccesary.

Sorry that just irks me, and it's going on way to much.

alpha n00b

Smash Ace
Earthbound is a 2-player game. And that my freinds, is the most obscure videogame fact you'll ever learn... i learned that one from Starmen.net :psycho:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Rhydon was the first Pokemon ever designed or created. O, and Satoshi Tajiri drew major inspiration for the series by watching Ultraman and Godzilla movies while he was a kid.

SonicMario

Smash Master
You know, you don't have to give permission to the mods to close your thread, they'll do it if they feel it's neccesary.

Sorry that just irks me, and it's going on way to much.
I know but i don't wnat to be known as a n00b that just randomly posts something here:(. I didn't bother to search, so i made extra precautions.

Smash Ace
Rhydon was the first Pokemon ever designed or created. O, and Satoshi Tajiri drew major inspiration for the series by watching Ultraman and Godzilla movies while he was a kid.
so Why wasn't he #001 in the Pokedex?

Andromeda

Smash Lord
so Why wasn't he #001 in the Pokedex?
Because it's not a starter? Because it's an evolved Pokémon?

Ontopic: Miyamoto had "blue sky" on his mind when he designed Super Mario Bros.

One thing Miyamoto wishes is that he was the one who invented Rubik's Cube.

BETA

Smash Ace
38. Former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi owns a majority share of the Seattle Marines baseball team, which is now managed by former Nintendo of America head, Howard Lincoln.
I wasn't aware that the Seattle baseball stadium was also a military base.

Ice man

Smash Journeyman
where did you hear that?
I remember reading somthing about pokemon being inspired by bugs.

miller483

Smash Ace
This isn't exactly obscure, but interesting. Did you know that Kirby's Avalanche was the first (and thankfully last) game in which Kirby spoke actual dialogue? In the game he was a giant smartass. (seriously.)

^^Actual screenshots.

zigzaghakr

Smash Journeyman
sony's playstation was made after working with nintendo on a project which sony pulled out of and used some nintendo console-makin stuff to create to origanal playstation

that was my 99 cents

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
The creator of Pokemon Red & Blue credits the creator of Mother as a source of inspiration.

Sony was originally going to make a sound chip for SNES, but got partial rights to use SNES's designed and made the PS1 around that.

In early design stages, the Gamecube used cartridges.

After you beat level 255 in Pacman, the screen gets glitchy and becomes impossible to beat

In Final Fantasy, you can find Link's grave.

40. In the early stages of Final Fantasy XII’s development, there were plans to let a second player join in the game.
I might have actually liked the game if they did that.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
The "Rhydon was the first Pokemon designed" came from an old magazine from a few years back. I lost the mag, but I think it was a special pokemon issue of either EGM or Tips&Tricks or something. Actually, it may very well been Rhyhorn, not Rhydon. But either way, it was one of them.

Another obscure thing: Doom was originally meant to be based on the Alien movies, but wasn't because of rights issues.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Here are a couple good ones from ChronosMagnum's site (second post):

The first ever product released by Sony was a rice cooker.

FIFA 2001 is the first and only game to date to use a "scratch and sniff" CD. The disc smelt of turf.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime used to be the senior director of national marketing at Pizza Hut. While there he launched the Bigfoot Pizza and The Big New Yorker.

David Hayter, the voice of Solid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid games, wrote the screenplay for the movie X-Men.

In Japan, four Dreamcast titles have been released in 2007.

“Nintendo” translates as “Leave luck to heaven”.

In late 2005, Sony hired graffiti artists in seven cities across the US to promote PSP, leading to one mayor issuing a cease and desist order.

The bestselling GameCube title of all time? That’ll be Super Smash Bros. Melee, with some six million copies under its belt. [we all knew that one, though--that's 1 million more than Halo 1]

Throughout the creation of Forza Motorsport 2, the development team racked up a total of 41 speeding tickets. Two licences were also revoked.

Those seem to be the most interesting ones.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Okay, here's one:

The first NES that was available to be played in America was "Baseball". It was part of Nintendo's strategy to disassociate the NES from the word "Video Game" (after the great Atari collapse). The deal was that they had members of the New York Mets show up at a mall to sign autographs, then would pull aside people to play the game.

GOTM

Smash Champion
This isn't exactly obscure, but interesting. Did you know that Kirby's Avalanche was the first (and thankfully last) game in which Kirby spoke actual dialogue? In the game he was a giant smartass. (seriously.)

^^Actual screenshots.
haha, awesome. kirby is such a jerk, i love it

Jammer

Smash Lord
The first NES that was available to be played in America was "Baseball". It was part of Nintendo's strategy to disassociate the NES from the word "Video Game" (after the great Atari collapse).
Yep, definitely. That's why Nintendo also packaged the NES with R.O.B. (the Robotic Operating Buddy) when it first came out so that stores would stock it and people would buy it. Stores would refuse video game stuff because of the video game market collapse earlier, but they didn't mind robotic toys.

Once the NES became popular enough, Nintendo discontinued packaging it with R.O.B.

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
Yep, definitely. That's why Nintendo also packaged the NES with R.O.B. (the Robotic Operating Buddy) when it first came out so that stores would stock it and people would buy it. Stores would refuse video game stuff because of the video game market collapse earlier, but they didn't mind robotic toys.

Once the NES became popular enough, Nintendo discontinued packaging it with R.O.B.
I've always wondered what R.O.B. did

edit: I'll make another one, after LttP came out, Nintendo made Link their Mascot for a while, then SM64 came out.

alpha n00b

Smash Ace
Before Sonic, Sega had pitched a dog, a rabbit, an armadillo, and an over-sized Theodore Roosevelt in pajamas (which would later be the basis of Doctor Eggman's design) as their new mascot. In the 1st Donkey Kong, Mario's look was created only by technical limitations.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Masahiro Sakurai lives in in an apartment.
In that same vein, Shigeru Miyamoto lives a very inexpensive lifestyle. He insists on having a normal paycheck from Nintendo, even though his skill is worth millions. He often rides a bike to work.

Ice man

Smash Journeyman
Gamespot gave metroid prime a higher ranking than both halo 2 and 3.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Nintendo was founded in 1889 by Fusajiro Yamauchi and made hand-made hanafuda cards.

While I already knew that, it should also be told that, at one point in history, high ranking officials at Nintendo ran "Love Hotels" (exactly what they sound like).

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
The name of "Final Fantasy" is no joke. Square was almost completely bankrupt at the time and decided to throw just about every last resource they had at one last project that would let them go out with a bang. Since it was meant to be their final game, and it was a fantasy, they named "Final Fantasy". To their amazement, they made a game so well-received that it literally saved their company!

(I'm not sure if that's entirely true, I know that Final Fantasy was a "last-chance" game for Square, but I'm only 50% sure of it actually being called Final Fantasy because of that)

Sandwich

Smash Ace
In Rocket Power Beach Bandits, Tak of Tak and the Power of JuJu is a cameo.

It's obscure because NOBODY plays that game. =D

Top Bottom