• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Obscure Video Game facts

Radamanthus

Smash Apprentice
the first video game was made by William Higinbotham. it was called "Tennis for Two," and was, essentially, PONG. he made it for visitor's day at a nuclear poerplant.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Mario and Luigi's full names are Mario Mario and Luigi Mario.
Not an actual fact. Just an assumption. They have no official surname.

Some facts:

The original Mario game was original going to be Popeye game (replacing DK with Bluto and Pauline w/ Olive respectively)

Sonic original name (in development) : Mr Needlemouse (aren't we glad they changed it?)

Lara Croft's current model was once a sales assistant, and won the role in a contest.

Starcraft Ghost was suspended less than 30 days before it's projected release date. (not obscure, just annoying)...

Sonic CD has two different soundtracks, the original Japanese one, released in Japan and Europe, and the American. The two soundtracks share "Past" tracks (there are three different tracks for each level, Past, Present and Future). Both are generally acclaimed by those who hear them, though, like most things that are changed from the original version, many dislike the American version for the sole reason that it isn't the same as the original.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
In Majora's Mask, Mikau (The Zora who gives you your Zora mask) collapses after a final step on his right foot after walking from the shore.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Super Mario World 2:Yoshi's Island's graphics were orginally supposed to look similar to Donkey Kong Country's realistic graphics, but was later changed to having the colorful crayon drawing effect that we see today..(Don't remember were I herad that from but I'm prretty sure it's true.)

Mario's orginal name was Jump Man(most of you probably alreadt know this but I think it's a good fact.)

$HIT I know i have more but I can't seem to rememer em right now. If I do remember some more then I'll post later.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
Chrono Trigger was supervised by a group referred to as "The Dream Team", consisting of Hironobu Sakaguchi (producer of the Final Fantasy series), Yuji Horii (director of the Dragon Quest games), character designer Akira Toriyama (of Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest fame), venerable producer Kazuhiko Aoki, and Nobuo Uematsu (of Final Fantasy fame)

^^Not too sure if this is true or not, I got it off of a bash.org quote

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
“Nintendo” translates as “Leave luck to heaven”.
Hmm, the translation I have is "We do all that we can, as best we can, and await the results." Then again, translation can leave a bit up to the translator in many cases.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'd say that those two translations are very similar, when you think about it.

At least, they have practically identical meanings on a slightly abstracted level.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Miyamoto wanted every N64 game to feature a penguin in it in some way. This idea was abandoned due to the difficulty of getting all of the 3rd parties to go along with it. Star Fox 64 would be the 1st Nintendo produced N64 title to not feature a penguin at all.

Jammer

Smash Lord
You cannot be serious, MAtgSy.

Is this a trick fact, and Star Fox 64 was like the first game developed for the N64?

Why a penguin? There are no penguins in Japan. Then again, there are no penguins in the US, and I'd put one into every game if I could. So nevermind.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Chrono Trigger was supervised by a group referred to as "The Dream Team", consisting of Hironobu Sakaguchi (producer of the Final Fantasy series), Yuji Horii (director of the Dragon Quest games), character designer Akira Toriyama (of Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest fame), venerable producer Kazuhiko Aoki, and Nobuo Uematsu (of Final Fantasy fame)

^^Not too sure if this is true or not, I got it off of a bash.org quote
Isn't that the same team that worked on Blue Dragon?

Gamespot gave metroid prime a higher ranking than both halo 2 and 3.
You know what's even more obscure? Of Gamespot's top ten highest rated games for the Xbox 360, 8 of them scored at least a 9, whilst only 4 Wii games(or half of the 360's) have surpassed this mark.

In that same vein, Shigeru Miyamoto lives a very inexpensive lifestyle. He insists on having a normal paycheck from Nintendo, even though his skill is worth millions. He often rides a bike to work.
I remember hearing about how he did that at the beginning of his career, but seriously, is it known if he still does that?

Jammer

Smash Lord
I remember hearing about how he did that at the beginning of his career, but seriously, is it known if he still does that?
I don't know. I just read it on Wikipedia, and who knows what kind of Nintendo spin artists have attacked that page, trying to make the Miyamoto appeal to everyone.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLMAgcGA8Dw - Totaka's song. One of Nintendo's music producers, Totaka Kazumi, (he's working on music for Brawl as well) produced music for quite a few of nintendo's big games, like Link's Awakening and Mario Land 2. In several of the games where he was the musical director, a small, 19 note track can be found at some point, usually by waiting on one particular screen for an extended period. As a matter of fact, the Gameboy game X, featured in today's Brawl update, had the song hidden somewhere in it's code, though fans have yet to find where in the game you can find the song without hacking.

Also, in Link's Awakening, the place where you can encounter Totaka's song is the house of a man named Richard, a character from the Japanese-only release, which translates roughly to "For the Frog the Bell Tolls," another game containing Totaka's song.

...yeah, that's about as obscure as anyone can get. I discovered this at the age of 5, I believe, when I couldn't figure out how to start the game. Hadn't realized it was a widespread thing until rather recently, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

JUMPING_YOSHI

Smash Cadet
This isn't exactly obscure, but interesting. Did you know that Kirby's Avalanche was the first (and thankfully last) game in which Kirby spoke actual dialogue? In the game he was a giant smartass. (seriously.)

^^Actual screenshots.
This is so funny!XD!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Final Fantasy 7 was originally going to be released on the N64 as a sequel to Final Fantasy 6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5l0A3zzEgw
wrong. that was simply a tech demo that square made while first working on the n64. ffvii was going to be on the 64, but it was going to be the same ffvii we all know and love, however they switched to the playstation for obvious reasons.

its like saying super mario sunshine's first level was going to be 128 marios running around

Yoshi

Smash Lord
- Charles Martinet, voices Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Dr. Mario and Toadsworth!
Not really a fact, related to video games but
- Regarding Twisted Metal; Mr. Grimm, Warthog and Sweet Tooth are the only characters that are featured in every Twisted Metal game. To that, Sweet Tooth is the only character to keep the same driver.
- Final Fantasy VII was the first game in the Final Fantasy series to use 3D computer graphics, which feature fully polygonal characters on pre-rendered backgrounds.
- In the Smackdown Vs. Raw Series, only five wrestler are playable in all games: Kane, Triple H, The Undertaker, The Rock, and Edge. The Rock has been only featured as a Legend.

pokeman800

Smash Cadet
Either Hyrule or Dreamland... depends on my mood.
Pacman was inspired by pizza.Toru Iwatani (pacman's creator) wanted to make a game that all people would want to play, since most games back then were suppposed to be for men. One day, when Iwatani was having pizza for lunch, he immediately thought " Oh hey, since im looking for a game that all people can play, why not make the character pizza shaped!"

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
The nintendo ds design was inspired by the game&watch. It was also a tribute to the late and great Gunpei Yokoi who created the designs for most of the gameboys, the virtual boy and the wonderswan.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
If anyone watches wrestling they may find this interesting. Tiger mask

* The Tekken series of video games have characters named King and Armor King who are modelled after the Tiger Mask and Black Tiger from the anime. This is evident by the fact that they are all masked professional wrestlers (though King and Armor king wear jaguar masks), and both King and Tiger Mask used to be orphans and were played by more than one person. In Tekken 5, you can perchase an alternate mask for King that appears to be a replica of the one worn by Tiger Mask.

* Tizoc/Griffon from the Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters series has a similar story, sports an animal (griffon) mask, and even shares various moves with Tiger Mask. The character Ramon also sports the repertoire of the real life Tiger Masks.

* In the Sailor Moon Musicals series a wrestler appears in the Ai no Sanctuary musical by the name of Sensational Jaguar Mask. This is thought to be an homage to Tiger Mask.

* In part 3 of the H anime F3: Frantic, Frustrated & Female, one of the masks Yayoi has in her room is a Tiger Mask.

Top Bottom