• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Epic 64 Video?

ballin4life

Smash Hero

Battlecow

Play to Win
NOPE! Don't do that. Stick to 64. It's the only one worth playing/watching.

A TRUE 02D in Melee is rare, isn't it? I mean, one where every hit of the combo is linked by hitstun.

Melee has edgeguards but a lot fewer than 64.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Pretty much yeah. I don't really know anything about Brawl though to be honest.
Watch a few matches. It will make Melee seem like there are combos and edgeguards everywhere.

Battlecow's right. There are less than in 64, but they exist.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Most of itsbme's subscribers were Melee players. And that's not proof. I can't even call that ad populum since Melee has more players >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc This video has ~33% more views despite being around for less than half the time. IDK why I even bothered posting this since it doesn't prove anything anyways, but you asked.

Why do I keep feeding the troll?

Battlecow

Play to Win
OK so the most watched (or close to most watched) Melee vid has 33% more than the most watched 64 vid. Melee has, what, maybe 10 times the number of competitive players that 64 does? That's a really rough guesstimate, but you get my point. Yes, itsbme's subscribers are melee peeps. And evidently they and the other melee peeps found the Isai-Kurtis match fun enough to watch 150,000 times- more than almost any other vid on itsbme's channel (if not more than all of them).

I got into the competitive scene because of the vids- they're ****ing fun.

Yaaaay en3ro uploaded the Isai v Boom vid. Thank you en3ro, you're teh best!

Oooh and he's got a couple of pete's vids and an antdgar TAS.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Most of itsbme's subscribers were Melee players. And that's not proof. I can't even call that ad populum since Melee has more players >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc This video has ~33% more views despite being around for less than half the time. IDK why I even bothered posting this since it doesn't prove anything anyways, but you asked.

Ok well this one is on Isai's channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEec8yifjDw

33% more views aint much for 1) As far as I can tell one of the most watched Melee matches - Genesis finals are more like 25k.
and 2) player base MUCH MUCH larger.

Either way, Melee players liked watching the 64 video apparently.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Ok well this one is on Isai's channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEec8yifjDw

33% more views aint much for 1) As far as I can tell one of the most watched Melee matches - Genesis finals are more like 25k.
and 2) player base MUCH MUCH larger.

Either way, Melee players liked watching the 64 video apparently.
And much more people like playing Melee, apparently. See the problem with this argument? AD POPULUM KTHXBAI

ballin4life

Smash Hero
And much more people like playing Melee, apparently. See the problem with this argument? AD POPULUM KTHXBAI
A large, large part of this is due to the fact that 64 is an older system. Plus there are tons more casuals for Melee because it's the sequel.

But anyway, the point is about which is better to WATCH.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Doesn't stop what you said from being a dumb argument.

According to an ESPN survey, NASCAR is the sixth most popular to spectate (After pro football, baseball, basketball, college football, and college basketball). OHOHOHO MORE FUN TO WATCH THAN TENNIS IRREFUTABLE PROOF

ballin4life

Smash Hero
That's not a good analogy. It's more like highest rated Nascar race having the same amount of viewers as the highest rated tennis match, despite there being 10 million times as many Nascar fans/players as tennis fans/players.

Also I obviously wasn't serious about the PROOF part lol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ballin is dragging a troll argument out because he needs to be right at least once per thread :awesome:

64 is super nostalgia bros to most people, watching people dominate with more than kirby's up-b seems awesome, that's all

melee is more fun to watch at a high level if you get what's going on and find more stuff than just combos/edgeguards interesting

The Star King

Smash Hero
That's not a good analogy. It's more like highest rated Nascar race having the same amount of viewers as the highest rated tennis match, despite there being 10 million times as many Nascar fans/players as tennis fans/players.

Also I obviously wasn't serious about the PROOF part lol
Mkay

ballin is dragging a troll argument out because he needs to be right at least once per thread :awesome:
IKR? This guy gets into a ton of arguments, and that's coming from me.

Waxy

Smash Rookie
eh... i think... that all depend on the observer´s point of view

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
I think anything with "isai" in the title will rack up views. I don't know if it's mostly from 64 players or Melee players. "Isai" is quite a popular name in the Melee community.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I'm subscribed to HMW on YouTube and I've watched a lot of his videos. I tend to stick to the highest level Melee videos (like later rounds of Genesis/APEX/etc), so maybe I'm wrong about lower levels where people are bad at DI or something.
lol. What a troll.
You don't need to cherry pick, you can watch any high level video and see edge guards, and combos (low percent to death all the time). Assuming first hit always leads to death isn't what I'm saying. I can zero to death all the time with Falco, but I'm almost always going to hit them with lasers first- same goes for other chars. Oh, and you're subscribed to the Waffles' channel lol, you and 6,477 others (including me). You are like my Melee friends who try to tell me about 64. Don't compare both games, if you don't know both games in depth. I'm not going to waste my time collecting/making vids for you. You are obviously too proud, and stubborn to admit you're wrong about this anyways. Besides, I don't have to prove anything to you; I'm pretty sure most people here will agree that Melee has combos and edgeguards lol. I can live with you being unconvinced. This is my last post in this thread. Hope to have some good dialogue in the 64 section.

Well, you realize that you are doing the same right? You're just saying that you're right and I'm wrong.
I gave explanations for what I said.

I don't know either.

pretty much
Last post in this thread (that isn't about 64)

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Dunno what you mean

melee is more fun to watch at a high level if you get what's going on and find more stuff than just combos/edgeguards interesting
ok that's cool.

IKR? This guy gets into a ton of arguments, and that's coming from me.
Oh my bad. I'll go back to posting about how smash 64 videos suck in the smash 64 video forum.

lol. What a troll.
You don't need to cherry pick, you can watch any high level video and see edge guards, and combos (low percent to death all the time). Assuming first hit always leads to death isn't what I'm saying. I can zero to death all the time with Falco, but I'm almost always going to hit them with lasers first- same goes for other chars. Oh, and you're subscribed to the Waffles' channel lol, you and 6,477 others (including me).
See, the bolded stuff is confusing me. You've twice now told me "just watch any high level video", and I informed you that I do watch at least some high level videos on HMW's YouTube channel, yet I don't see it.

You are like my Melee friends who try to tell me about 64. Don't compare both games, if you don't know both games in depth. I'm not going to waste my time collecting/making vids for you.
I never claimed to know about Melee in depth. Although I probably know a decent amount about it from watching videos and stuff. More than I would know about Street Fighter or something.

You are obviously too proud, and stubborn to admit you're wrong about this anyways.
Oh really? So when I asked for evidence and said maybe I'm wrong, that made me seem proud and stubborn. OK then hehe :)

I gave explanations for what I said.
Uh, you just said "no you're wrong" basically.

I don't know either.
I have a legitimate inquiry, although yes the train of discussion began in a trollish manner. Sorry if I respond that way when people say that smash 64 videos suck in the smash 64 video forum.

pretty much
Last post in this thread (that isn't about 64)
You're taking this way too seriously.

Although it is interesting that I make a few comments that might seem SLIGHTLY negative towards Melee and everyone gets all mad, yet Melee players get to BASH Brawl repeatedly. I don't think that what I said was bashing Melee at all.

Edit: Just realized first post in this thread is Star King recommending a video. :laugh:

Edit 2: Just read post #14. WHOOPS

Battlecow

Play to Win
I think ballin' and I have the same reaction, more or less. Put yourself in our shoes:

After a long day of being hated on by haters for playing waaaaay too much smash 64, we come back and watch some videos, have a great time, and then go into the 64 forums to talk with our peeps who understand us. BUT WAIT! every other day there's some topic about how the game we love is objectively inferior to melee, supported by half the d00ds from our own forum who apparently only play 64 for the online. It's ****in' ridiculous. Then people start talking in the SMASH 64 VIDEO FORUM, in a topic about THE BEST 64 VID, about how much better melee vids are. Can't you talk about that in the melee section? Sheesh. I don't give a **** about what most smashers think of 64 vids, because most of 'em like barwl vids better than melee ones anyway (lulzzzz) but you guys are like contractually obligated to agree with me here.

TL;DR go tell random strangers that yeah, your mom's a total ho, but what's a guy to do? Their own mothers are surely much more chaste.

ANYWAYS I know everything about melee :awesome: and I can tell you with absolute certainty that 64 vids are funner to watch because there are COMBOOOOOOOOOOOOS as opposed to little weak womanly two-hit sequences and because in 64 everything LOOKS COOLER OK? OK? OK.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
your post contributed nothing to the discussion whatsoever, you have a brawl viewpoint, only you replaced the word 'brawl' with '64' and vice versa so that only 64 vids are worth watching and the melee and brawl are inferior games

The Star King

Smash Hero
BUT WAIT! every other day there's some topic about how the game we love is objectively inferior to melee, supported by half the d00ds from our own forum who apparently only play 64 for the online.
This part really ticked me off, even though you're probably trolling like ballin.

1. Every other day there's some topic? This is like the first or second time I've seen this discussed in my two years here, and I read EVERY post in the 64 section.
2. I didn't say Smash 64 is inferior to Melee. I said Smash 64 VIDEOS are, and I acknowledged that it's my personal opinion and everyone can have their own. Where the **** did you get "objectively" from? The only person who's doing such a thing is your side, when ballin said that he had PROOF that 64 is more exciting (yes, I know he was joking, but it's much closer to a claim that one game is "objectively inferior" to another than anything I said).
3. I don't play 64 only for the online. Stop making baseless assumptions.

You always make things sound worse than they actually are. I guess that's your thing or whatever, but I wish you would stop.

Why can't you people respect somebody's opinion? I have no problem with people liking 64 videos more than Melee videos. I simply stated my opinion, and everybody jumps all over me. asianaussie's completely right.

Pi

Smash Hero
if your worth of a game is how often 02D combo's happen then you might want to check out every other generic 2d fighter out there

smash, the whole series, brings something new to the fighter that others don't, or overlook

that's the reason we're all playing smash, combo's are nice, and clearly 64 has more than melee, and melee has more than brawl, but if choose not to realize that each of those 3 games all share a similar uniqueness when it comes to fighter then you're being closed minded and an elitist

this is looking past your comment about how melee has no combo's or edgeguards, because clearly it does and to disagree with that would only serve 1 purpose which would be to troll, and the only reason I can fathom that you would make such a statement (any of you) would be to imply that your game is 'better' than another

if you're basing the worth of a game strictly on combo's, then 64 wins
if you're basing it strictly on edgeguards, then again 64 wins

but if you're choosing not to look at the traits that melee has over 64 then you're promoting ignorance to yourself and to others

if you like and enjoy your game moreso than the others, then by all means play it
but if you need to demerit the worth of another game so that you can feel better about your own game then you might want to re-evaluate why you're playing your game at all

peace

Battlecow

Play to Win
This part really ticked me off, even though you're probably trolling like ballin.

1. Every other day there's some topic? This is like the first or second time I've seen this discussed in my two years here, and I read EVERY post in the 64 section.
2. I didn't say Smash 64 is inferior to Melee. I said Smash 64 VIDEOS are, and I acknowledged that it's my personal opinion and everyone can have their own. Where the **** did you get "objectively" from? The only person who's doing such a thing is your side, when ballin said that he had PROOF that 64 is more exciting (yes, I know he was joking, but it's much closer to a claim that one game is "objectively inferior" to another than anything I said).
3. I don't play 64 only for the online. Stop making baseless assumptions.

You always make things sound worse than they actually are. I guess that's your thing or whatever, but I wish you would stop.

Why can't you people respect somebody's opinion? I have no problem with people liking 64 videos more than Melee videos. I simply stated my opinion, and everybody jumps all over me. asianaussie's completely right.
I am not trolling. You REALLY suck at detecting trolls. I was referring to the several threads that have gone down in the past (one of 'em was like "why do we like smash 64" or something like that) wherein 64 people have basically gone "we have online, but melee's better otherwise." That pisses me off. You+Peek+randomd00ds were reminding me of that, even though you (in this case) didn't say anything about melee being better as a game. Long story short: "I like melee vids better" is OK, "64 vids succckckk there aren't any good ones" is something you can go tell the melee video section.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Ok, I'm only going to make serious posts henceforth.

this is looking past your comment about how melee has no combo's or edgeguards, because clearly it does and to disagree with that would only serve 1 purpose which would be to troll, and the only reason I can fathom that you would make such a statement (any of you) would be to imply that your game is 'better' than another
When did I say anything about smash64 being better than melee? I'm not the one implying that one game is better than another; that's what I feel like everyone else is doing.

It was an obvious exaggeration to say that Melee has NO combos or edgeguards. Particularly for edgeguards. Relative to smash64 though, there are fewer (especially combos) as far as I can tell.

Of course, I thought that it would come through that I was exaggerating. Perhaps that was silly of me. But anyway, I get responses like "just watch any high level match and you'll see tons of z2d combos". I think I've watched a fair amount of high level matches, and I don't see many at all. So I asked for some examples.

I don't think z2d happens often even in 64, so it surprised me.

if you're basing the worth of a game strictly on combo's, then 64 wins
if you're basing it strictly on edgeguards, then again 64 wins
I was talking about videos only. Edgeguards and combos are two things that I would consider exciting.

but if you're choosing not to look at the traits that melee has over 64 then you're promoting ignorance to yourself and to others
It's all subjective, but I was outlining two traits of smash64 videos that I find entertaining.

if you like and enjoy your game moreso than the others, then by all means play it
but if you need to demerit the worth of another game so that you can feel better about your own game then you might want to re-evaluate why you're playing your game at all

peace
Once again, I never said anything about smash64 being better than Melee. Although Melee players should definitely take this advice with respect to brawl :laugh:

I am not trolling. You REALLY suck at detecting trolls. I was referring to the several threads that have gone down in the past (one of 'em was like "why do we like smash 64" or something like that) wherein 64 people have basically gone "we have online, but melee's better otherwise." That pisses me off. You+Peek+randomd00ds were reminding me of that, even though you (in this case) didn't say anything about melee being better as a game. Long story short: "I like melee vids better" is OK, "64 vids succckckk there aren't any good ones" is something you can go tell the melee video section.
Pretty much this. There are about 5 posts in this thread about how Melee videos are better. It's fine to have that opinion, but when you post about that in the smash64 video forum when a guy asks for good smash64 videos, you're asking for it.

I remember a while back some troll came into the main forum and posted something along the lines of "WHY DO U NOOBZ PLAY SMASH64 JUST PLAY MELEE INSTAD LOLZ". It's ok for him to have his opinion, but it's not really welcome in the smash64 forum, and he got flamed until mods closed the thread.

Let me clarify that I DEFINITELY don't think that any of the posts were on that level. But c'mon you can take a little heat.

Peek~

Smash Lord
There really are no amazing smash64 videos. There are good matches and great matches but no AMAZING/GLORIOUS/WOW(or as you 12 year olds would say "epic") matches.
Not saying that there arent those kind of matches in this game, im saying that on youtube there are none for me to show you.

If you think Isai 5-4 stocking a random scrub is that kind of match then you are either a casual player/watcher or you need to get better at this game

This is coming from someone who doesnt give a damn about melee/brawl

Battlecow

Play to Win
Isai does mad cool **** even against people who are only somewhat good; his combos are the type of thing you don't see anywhere else. The way he moves and whatnot. It's not like its something you're amazed at as a scrub and then see every day when you get good.

Plus, he plays people other than random scrubs. A lot. In addition, I would qualify many of Ricky or Prince's combos, for example, as epic; your contention that there are truly epic matches, but none on YT, seems iffy; when great players/players who have great matches go at it, they often record. ANYWAYS if you don't think Isai's stuff is epic then you simply lack the kind of enthusiasm and passion for the game that me and ballin' and others have.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Upon watching Malva/Prince/Alancitu combos 1000 times over...I'm still WOW'd.

My favorite vids are definately the japanese matches with every combo and technical skill being more impressive then the last. I learn so much from those games and receive high amounts of entertainment.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Isai does mad cool **** even against people who are only somewhat good; his combos are the type of thing you don't see anywhere else. The way he moves and whatnot. It's not like its something you're amazed at as a scrub and then see every day when you get good.

Plus, he plays people other than random scrubs. A lot. In addition, I would qualify many of Ricky or Prince's combos, for example, as epic; your contention that there are truly epic matches, but none on YT, seems iffy; when great players/players who have great matches go at it, they often record. ANYWAYS if you don't think Isai's stuff is epic then you simply lack the kind of enthusiasm and passion for the game that me and ballin' and others have.
Those combos are the only reason I even watch them anymore. Still, 1-2 cool combos by themselves is usually not enough to push it past the great point for me

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I'm with Peek, an 'epic' match is one where two really amazing players combo each other back and forth, going even, maybe climaxing at a dual hit where they both get knocked to opposite blast lines where one guy wins by like a frame.

That's always been my SSB fantasy match anyway, and that's why I really enjoyed Maltfox - Morgen matches.

RickySSB

Smash Ace
I love Isai's Matches and Prince's Combos.
I love all the Smash Saga , 64 , Melee and Brawl.
Don't discuse about Melee and 64 both games are awesome.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Brawl is suprsingly fun to watch for some reason, i don't even know why

i enjoy melee videos too, somewhat, i have not a clue what is going on (because i don't play melee at all) but i enjoy all the neat techskills that are used

64 matches are fun to watch if the players aren't just being total ****s and spamming a move waiting for someone to approach them, or my favorite 'falcon vs falcon watch them try to grab eachother like 6 times on hyrule.'

only interested in watching people better then me in all of them (as star king said) because i learn new things and not what i already know.

it's like a reading a book on how to read a book.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Alright noobs, this is the most epic 64 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZjByn4hd3U

I watched this in 2005 (before it was on youtube) when I was just starting to understand competitive ssb64. It obviously changed my life.

Such an advanced Yoshi for it's time. There was nothing else like it.

B Link

Smash Lord
I like the one where Isai survived until 283% with link. He almost made a huge comeback. Old though.

Isai (Link) vs Johnny (Fox) 2

Next is the Japanese summer '09 tourney featuring Jousuke winning the finals as SAMUS >_> I didn't know who won the first time I watched it so it was exciting.

Jousuke (Samus) vs Ruoka Dancho (Falcon) 3

The players in this match aren't that good but it's still entertaining (maybe its the commentary too). I never watched many kirby dittos back then so it made me laugh.

Japanese TV Match featuring a Kirby Ditto

Online matches shouldn't be that fun but this one was still cool to watch for the first time:

JaimeHr (Falcon) vs Superboomfan (Falcon)

Top Bottom