• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most absurd reason you've heard...

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I picked up samus in ssb 64 not just because I enjoyed the original metroid, but because I was into dragonball at the time and I felt that she was as close to shooting Ki balls of energy as I was going to get.
Oddly enough I used Samus in SSB64 for that same reason, until Captain Falcon came along. Also, I absolutely hate that show now after what they did to it.

But yeah, Zero Suit Samus... I guess it makes sense but boobs aren't really a reason to main a character in my opinion. I still play ZSS though and not for the same reasons as most guys I guess :p

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Back in SSB64, I mained Link because Ocarina of Time was my favorite game. I continued to main him in Melee because I didn't think any of the other characters had the style he did. Now, I main Link because after so many years, I know him like the back of my hand.

I've branched out, though. I play Pkmn Trainer pretty well, and I love Lucario's style as much as I loved Link's in Melee. I play Sonic because he's the only character in Brawl that reacts as fast as I can give commands, and Toon Link... he has the NES colors! How can I not play him?!

tanfastic

Smash Apprentice
My friend chose Marth in melee because he was an actual human, he didn't like Roy, I tried to tell him that Mario is sort of human... but it didn't work and he's stayed with Marth til now.

I picked Samus in 64 because I thought it was a guy in awesome armor then I found out that she was a girl and went to Link imediately (back when I thought girls had cooties...) stayed with Link til Melee then took up Falco, Link, and Mewtwo. Then I picked Ice Climbers because they weren't very popular (and didn't play Link anymore). In Brawl I've chosen Lucario (idk why) Samus (because she's a girl and I like girls and I didn't like her style in Melee) Link (because my friend was him but abandoned him and I said "Link needs attention" XD) Ice climbers (awesome) and Falco (it's a bird)

Finally I also chose Dedede because if you hold the control stick down he make a VERY sexy pose XD

MasterRaichu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EddieJ86
3DS FC
2337-4950-9512
I play Dedede because when you get to sudden death in the Basic Brawl mode on wifi, you can throw a waddle dee and win instantly against the scrubs. And then I use the down taunt... KU KU KU KU KU!

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
My mains in order and why I mained them
1. Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong 64 was my favorite game at the time
2. Kirby: I thought he looked cool and he played really well, after I started realizing I didn't really like playing as Donkey Kong. I've always been a moderate fan of Kirby games.
3. Mario: After realizing Kirby was pretty cheap, I started maining Mario because I'm a huge fan of Mario games.
4. Bowser: I thought he looked really cool and he's hella strong.
5. Link: After realizing both Kirby and Bowser were pieces of crap in Melee, I mained Link to counter my brother's Peach. This is also when I started getting into Zelda games. I started playing Mario and Bowser less and less, and Link more and more
6. Peach: I've always loved Peach, after beating Event Match 51 with her, I just had to main her. I started playing Link less and less, and Peach more and more.
7. Zelda: After using her in SSE, I realized that she's pretty good and fits my style very well.
8. (currently practicing) Sheik: Zelda turns into her... I feel kind of obligated to be at least somewhat good with her
9. (currently considering) Mr. Game & Watch: After "playing classic with every character" I realized how fun and versatile Mr. Game & Watch is. My friends are trying to convince me not to play him.

The stupidest reason? One of my friends mained Dr. Mario because "He looks like a pimp", and another mained Donkey Kong because "He's the Grand Master"... don't ask.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
My friend says he like Ike because Ike is just like Roy, I just want to punch my friend in the face for saying that

Zek

Smash Ace
Picking a main isn't just about who you're good with, it's about who you have fun with. If you can't get excited about the idea of playing your character then you'll get burnt out forcing yourself to play him. Naturally their playstyle matching up with your own is part of that, but it's not everything. For me it's important that I like the aesthetics of the character and their moves, I'm less concerned with the games they've been in. I also like to feel proud of getting good with a character that's unpopular, which I admit is one of the things I like about Yoshi(though he's also one of my favorite characters in general).

Tiwaz

Smash Cadet
My friend mains King Dedede so he can yell "DEDEDE! DEDEDE! DEDEDE!" quickly every time he does his Up+B.

I pick Pit for his Side+B move. Greatest thing ever.

~rh

Smash Lord
My friend started playing Zelda after he had a dream he was making out with her, ahah :laugh:

dr_awesome

Smash Apprentice
honestly, one of my good smash bros friend chose Olimar as his main because he likes to annoy me with him. (facepalm) goddammit.

dr_awesome

Smash Apprentice
*****iest ***** move evar. God, that and Ivysaur's bullet seed end up screwing me over all the time...

derpinsmash

Smash Cadet
When I was younger I mained Roy because I thought Marth was cool and he was Marth with fire! I later learned Marth was faster so I switched to him. Then a few years later I was completely blown away when I saw this combo video that showed off C.Falcon's knee of justice! The cool as hell attitude along with being able to make flying leaps across Hyrule Temple and falcon punch people quickly grew on me. I still main Falcon but I've decided to pick up Lucario as well due to the nerfs and for when wi-fi gets too laggy to knee.

HydroStorm

Smash Rookie
I chose Falcon because of his diamond nipples.
I lol'd....

also i chose Luigi as main in the other 2 smash games cus he was the second player in the mario bros. games. i always played those with a friend or my brother and as a result i ended up as luigi most of the time. Too bad in brawl he sucks *** through a straw compared to his ssb and melee self.

captainduh

Smash Rookie
My main is Meta Knight because it sounds like Mennonite. I was going to make all my taunts things like "REJECT TECHNOLOGY" but there isn't enough space for it to look good and no one would get it anyway.

Shea-the-Celt

Smash Rookie
I pick Link for many reasons!

1. He's such an all around favorite character of mine that I actually now find it fun to kill him. (In games, drawings, fan fics... any true fangirls/boys of any character out there know what I mean XD)

2. He's my most comfortable character

3. His many background stories are quite inspiring to me

4. ...I've been told I look like him... o_o

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon because he had never appeared outside of his car...he appeared outside of his car almost 10 years ago

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
My main is Meta Knight because it sounds like Mennonite. I was going to make all my taunts things like "REJECT TECHNOLOGY" but there isn't enough space for it to look good and no one would get it anyway.
Haha...Mennonite... I love it. I wish that could be your taunt because that would be epic

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
I play as zelda b/c the first time I saw her in melee she took my breath away

is that a stupid reason to main?
I think several people misunderstood the nature of this thread. This thread is more about off-the-wall reasons for picking a main more than it is stupidity or ignorance on a person's part for having whichever main they want for whatever reason. In other words, just have fun with it. :)

Top Bottom