• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most absurd reason you've heard...

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
For someone's main! I mean, most people pick their mains because they like how they play or they're a fan of their game series, however, some people pick and stay with their main for pretty off the wall reasons. The two I've heard which were pretty silly were:
1) My friend choosing Bowser because he thought he was "misunderstood." He still sticks with Bowser even though he is much better off with other characters.
2) In the Melee days I knew someone who picked Roy because said person had red hair and Roy was the only character with red hair.
What ridiculous reasons have you heard?

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
I have a tendency to avoid more popular characters, and am disappointed when I see many other people using one of my favorites.

In Melee I played Roy only for the sake of not playing Marth, and played Falco only for the sake of not playing Fox. And I guess that's kind of strange, too.

But all things considered, if you choose a character for no reason other than the fact that they win tournaments, you're the one who has a stupid reason for playing them.

Supax

Smash Apprentice
These reasons aren't ridiculous, it's just thinking outside of the box to pick characters that not everyone uses... If this is how a person has fun playing, then it's not ridiculous at all...

Now a ridiculous reason for example, would be if someone purpously chose a character that they don't like so they would get frustrated and not have fun...

As long as you are having fun while you are playing (wheither it me with friends, or playing competitvely) then there really are no absurd reasons for picking a character :)

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
I like lower tiers because it's that much more awesome when your friend can't complain that your high tier

NeoHippie41

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaikuWarrior
I just pick characters I like. Pokemon was huge (and I'm still a big fan) when SSB came out so I naturally picked Pikachu and I've stuck with him until now. I love him as a character and I love how he plays. I played Falco a lot just cause I've always liked the Star Fox series and Falco was my favorite. People could say those are dumb reasons for picking my mains, but everyone has their own reasons, some weirder than others.

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
I picked Samus because of her missiles alone. Turns out I can mind game my Mario playing brother into getting a charge shot to the kisser, but not consistently.

Black/Light

Smash Master
i played falco cause i always thought he was black
IDK if that was some random "I have one post so Im going to say w/e I want" thing but I actualy did and still do see Falco as a black person in bird form. (It's like, you can see it in his movements that he has the heart of a black person :laugh:)

Welcome to SWF!

And those arnt "absurd reasons", IMO a bad reason to pick a character is picking them souly because people call them "Top Teir" and you think you will win with them even if your better with other characters (As in, a person who is great with Pika choosing Fox to main even if they suck with Fox's play stlye).

I personally chose to try ZSS out before the game hit release because she is a girl (I like girls. . . .even more in skin tight latex) and she has a whip (I like unique weapons) and she is my best main at this point so it all worked out.

When I chose to put interest in her (06 trailer) I had no idea how she would play or use her weapon. . .just those 2 things.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I'll just have to quote what a friend of mine said:

"I'M GONNA MAIN ZELDA BECAUSE HER COOL GLITTERY MOVES REMIND ME OF SAILOR MOON!:bee:! ... Or maybe Pit because angels are so cool... but wait Fallen Angel Pit is cooler but I like Pokemon Trainer! OMG what about Lucario!?!?"

He is certainly undecisive...

Me, well the first time i played i used Ike and wanted to main him because i thought he looked sexy:laugh: but he is too slow for my liking so i didn't main him.

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
I played SSB when I was young like once or twice and I played as DK.

know why? His down b. At my school, everyone went crazy and called it cheap because of how crazy it looked (this was 4-5th grade for me I believe)

For melee, it went from Fox > Roy > Falco > Mario > Bowser> Mario > Bowser > Roy

Because I though Fox was cool, Falco was a ****ing falcon, Mario because he was fun, and bowser because of his f-ar, and roy to prepare for Ike.

And I chose Ike because his update was near my birthday and when I saw him I was amazed at his detail and his level of bad ***.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I'm liking Dedede the best and I might make him my main because he is a fat duck with a giant hammer and what's not to love about that. ?_?

Straylit

Smash Cadet
I always try to avoid characters that are popular amoung the masses and get very territorial when i see someone using my self-proclaimed main. I dont even really know why, i just like taking things that people deem inferior or worthless and kicking their *** with em. *shrugs*

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
My friend yesterday plays using the random character option. I asked him why he doesn't main a character. He asked me why should he. He never answered me when I told him why.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Lol, you guys need to calm down with the "Those aren't ridiculous reasons at all!!!" posts. "People who pick characters just to win are the REAL ridiculous players"

Don't take this thread so seriously.
Maybe the title should be changed to "Most Dumb a5s reason you've heard"

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
My friend yesterday plays using the random character option. I asked him why he doesn't main a character. He asked me why should he. He never answered me when I told him why.
I main Random, of all the characters, he feels the most comfortable.
Im also indecisive... or, well... now that I think about it im not so sure.:dizzy:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I play Sheik, Peach, and Marth because they're high tier... in Melee. lol

RedTone

Smash Cadet
I know someone who plays Ike simply because he hates all the other characters.. mostly the ones I used.. since he comments on how much they suck and how cheap they are.. >.>

Corigames

Smash Hero
I played Samus in melee because.. well, I don't think she would like it if I didn't play her seeing that she's my lover and all :3

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
well i got a reason for not playing a character my bro would not play as lucario he tried him once and thought he was good i told him he was a pokemon and he wouldn't play as him for a long while he finally caved and started playing as him but he said he's just going to refer to him as anubis because he looks like him. Now thats foolish.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Lol, you guys need to calm down with the "Those aren't ridiculous reasons at all!!!" posts. "People who pick characters just to win are the REAL ridiculous players"

Don't take this thread so seriously.
I personally said that refering directly to the few people I see that think that top teir = win even if they suck at Fox or w/e top dog.

Not everyone is going to be good with characters like Fox/ Shiek/ Marth (Me for example . . .) so theres no reason to think that useing them is better than using another character your good with if you suck at them.
---------
but thats beside the point. . .
---------------

And heres another one, I mained Falco in melee because he was the only bird and his red color looked cool.:p

Link in 64 because he had a sword and my dad liked the LoZ series (which turned me into a LoZ fan later on).

The only reason I even got smash 64 was because Pika was in it (I was 100% sure it was just some Mario game before I fond out that Ness, Fox, CF where not just made up characters for this game. . . .).

ZDAN

Smash Cadet
I play Toon Link because of his bomb animation.
I basically run around throwing bombs and bairing my way to victory.
And throwing bombs.
Bombs.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Everytime Isaac shows up as an assist trophy, I pause the game, zoom in on him, and pretend like I'm playing him... Does that count? :(

Regardless, though, I do pick characters to play as solely because I like how they look/move. :/

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I originally picked G&W in Melee because I joked that he was the only black character in the game >_>

Then I was like **** G&W's fun. I think I'll keep playing him.

Top Bottom