• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mosque near Ground Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I agreed with everything up to the last statement, that the hypocrisy is justified. There is no justification for denying peaceful citizens their Constitutional Freedoms.
Has anyone been denied their constitutional freedoms? I haven't heard one person say that they shouldn't be allowed to build the mosque; just that they shouldn't. There is a huge difference. It's like saying a vegetarian is denying people their rights by saying that people shouldn't eat meat. Saying people shouldn't eat meat isn't the same thing as making meat against the law.

NNID
Budget_Player
Wait, they aren't saying they shouldn't be allowed to build the mosque? That's news to me.... If that's the case, nobody is being denied their rights, we just have a massive group of people being incredibly stupid and helping terrorism promote itself.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Carl Paladino, candidate for New York governor has vowed to stop the mosque if he's elected. And he's not the only person suggesting it's stopped. I've heard many people who say they shouldn't be allowed to build it.

Pragmatic

Smash Journeyman
So, for a case of where one side is completely fueled by ignorance and hatred, we must consider them in the same light as a tolerant and peaceful side.

I really fail to grasp this in any measure of equality at all.
Both sides have a variety of supporters.

It's not equality I'm stressing, just the expression of two radically different viewpoints under the mentality of resolving a political issue.

NNID
Budget_Player
Both sides have a variety of supporters.

It's not equality I'm stressing, just the expression of two radically different viewpoints under the mentality of resolving a political issue.

Yes, but get this. One of the "radically different" viewpoints is not only severely misinformed and bigoted, it goes directly against one of the most important concepts that our nation, along with any other modern democracy, was founded on. They have their right to object to the mosque being built. We have the right to call them out for being bigoted idiots, and potentially even to attack them legally for promoting terrorism. However, they do not have the right to prevent the mosque from being built, nor do we have the right to stymie their voices, however wrong and stupid they may be.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ballistics you put a wall of text in a quote and creditted the qoute to me, yet I didn't do it.

Pragmatic

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but get this. One of the "radically different" viewpoints is not only severely misinformed and bigoted, it goes directly against one of the most important concepts that our nation, along with any other modern democracy, was founded on. They have their right to object to the mosque being built. We have the right to call them out for being bigoted idiots, and potentially even to attack them legally for promoting terrorism. However, they do not have the right to prevent the mosque from being built, nor do we have the right to stymie their voices, however wrong and stupid they may be.
Now it's boiling down to pure subjective opinion, even though the first point is true.

It also happens to be that I already established said point, glad to see other people agree though.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
To those of you who are calling the people against the mosque bigots; would you feel the same way about people apposed to other things under similar circumstances? Suppose I wanted to hold a big gun show in Columbine, Colorado. If people were to protest my gun show under the pretense that it was disrespectful to the Columbine shootings, would you say that those people were bigoted towards gun owners?

NNID
Budget_Player
To those of you who are calling the people against the mosque bigots; would you feel the same way about people apposed to other things under similar circumstances? Suppose I wanted to hold a big gun show in Columbine, Colorado. If people were to protest my gun show under the pretense that it was disrespectful to the Columbine shootings, would you say that those people were bigoted towards gun owners?
Well hmm. Are all gun owners school shooters? No, not really. So, in other words, probably? Also, there's a difference between a fringe group supposedly operating under a certain banner causing people to protest all others operating under that same banner, despite them being wildly different, and a group of people who are accused of directly enabling a tragic event holding a show there. (That said, the people protesting that are also fairly bigoted).

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Well hmm. Are all gun owners school shooters? No, not really. So, in other words, probably? Also, there's a difference between a fringe group supposedly operating under a certain banner causing people to protest all others operating under that same banner, despite them being wildly different, and a group of people who are accused of directly enabling a tragic event holding a show there. (That said, the people protesting that are also fairly bigoted).
If you would call the gun people bigots, then you're the exception. I guarantee you that the vast majority of people calling the people against the mosque bigots world not be calling anti-gun people bigots for protesting a gun show in Columbine.

Also, I fail to see how the people holding a gun show are enabling events like the Columbine shootings any more so than the ground zero mosque enables things like the attacks of 9/11.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think there is some confusion on the definition of bigotry.

Bigotry is usually directed towards group identity. "Gun owner" is not a group identity on the level of race or ethnicity. This is in part because if you stopped owning guns, you would leave the group, whereas a person cannot leave his/her race or ethnicity.

Islam is a religion, and you could argue that a person can leave a religion, but for this situation, Muslim identity is merged with Middle Eastern descent, and being that it forms the basis of its own culture within a self-identified community, it can be viewed as an ethnicity rather than just a religion.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
El Nino
"Gun owner" is not a group identity on the level of race or ethnicity.
The mosque situation has nothing to do with race or ethnicity either.

El Nino
This is in part because if you stopped owning guns, you would leave the group
If you stop believing in the Muslim faith, you leave that group too.

El Nino
Muslim identity is merged with Middle Eastern descent
Which is, in itself, racist. If you think that Muslim automatically means Arab, you're the one being bigoted. Islam has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. Anyone can be a Muslim.

The people who are protesting the mosque are protesting the religion; not the people. Do you think they'd be protesting if some Arab people wanted to open a Nike shoe store near Ground Zero? The controversy here has absolutely nothing to do with race or ethnicity.

And, to the extent that you can say that it does, I could say the same thing about gun shows. Gun shows are generally associated with southern white people. The majority of the people who attend gun shows are white people from the south. So, I could use your logic to say that anyone who would protest a gun show is bigoted towards southern white people.

El Nino
and being that it forms the basis of its own culture within a self-identified community, it can be viewed as an ethnicity rather than just a religion.
Anyone who views Muslim as an ethnicity is wrong. Ethnicity isn't a term that's open to interpretation. It has a very specific meaning, and being Muslim doesn't qualify as an ethnicity.

This idea of linking Islam with an ethnicity is simply a cowardly way for Muslims to avoid criticism of their religion by dismissing their critics as bigots, rather than try to defend their indefensible beliefs. What's next? Are we going to start saying that Republican can be considered an ethnicity, and so no one can criticize Republicans anymore?

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Part of a person's identity isn't actually controlled by that person. Part of it is controlled by how society views that person.

You may have seen that youtube video in which an anti-mosque crowd turns on a black male carpenter trying to make his way through the crowd to go to work. He wasn't Muslim, as stated in an interview afterward, but the crowd perceived him as such. This perception contributes to a person's identity whether a person wants it or not.

Race is a social construct; it isn't a biological one. Society constructs these identities psychologically and imposes them onto people, sometimes against their will. The perception of Muslims and persons of Middle Eastern descent among many Americans falls under this category.

We can argue about specific definitions all day, but it won't matter. Race is a construct of perception; there is no quantitative definition beyond that.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Part of a person's identity isn't actually controlled by that person. Part of it is controlled by how society views that person.

You may have seen that youtube video in which an anti-mosque crowd turns on a black male carpenter trying to make his way through the crowd to go to work. He wasn't Muslim, as stated in an interview afterward, but the crowd perceived him as such. This perception contributes to a person's identity whether a person wants it or not.

Race is a social construct; it isn't a biological one. Society constructs these identities psychologically and imposes them onto people, sometimes against their will. The perception of Muslims and persons of Middle Eastern descent among many Americans falls under this category.

We can argue about specific definitions all day, but it won't matter. Race is a construct of perception; there is no quantitative definition beyond that.
The people who assumed that the black guy was Muslim were racists. That has nothing to do with the objection that a lot of people have to the mosque.

Like I've already said, I don't care if they build a mosque near ground zero. That doesn't mean that I agree with calling everyone who thinks differently a bigot. That's an extremely narrow minded position to take.

Speaking as an atheist who bashes Christianity all the time and argues with Christians on a regular basis, the one thing that I can say for Christians is that I've never been called a bigot for saying anything about Christianity. The only time I've ever been called a bigot is when I've said something about Islam, and I rarely ever even talk about Islam because it's not something that comes up that often in my life.

Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg walked off of The View recently because Bill O'Reilly said that Muslims attacked America on 9/11. That's a 100% factual statement. So now it's bigoted to say things that are true? Not only that, but last year when Joy Behar was the guest host of the Larry King show, Steve Harvey was on and he said that atheists are immoral. Yet, Behar didn't bother to walk off the set when Steve Harvey said that. So why is it that she walked off The View when something was said about Muslims? It seems like Muslims are the only group that you aren't allowed to criticize without being called a bigot. We're not even allowed to draw their stupid prophet. It's ridiculous.

Religions are not people. Religions are ideas, and ideas should be open to any and all criticism. People who criticize Islam or Muslims are not bigots.

The Muslims in New York have every right to build their glorified center for talking to themselves near ground zero, and other people have every right to protest and speak out against it. The only people who are really wrong in this situation are the ones who want to use government force to stop the mosque, and I think that they're a small minority. Pretty much everyone I've heard objecting to the mosque has been saying that they have every right to build it, but it's in bad taste.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
The people who assumed that the black guy was Muslim were racists. That has nothing to do with the objection that a lot of people have to the mosque.
That actually has everything to do with it.

Speaking as an atheist who bashes Christianity all the time and argues with Christians on a regular basis, the one thing that I can say for Christians is that I've never been called a bigot for saying anything about Christianity.
Well, do you think it's possible for a person to tell that you are an atheist just by looking at you? Would it be possible for you to blend in with a group of Christians if you were to keep your views silent?

There is a difference between an idea and a person, but when a person becomes identifiable in conjucntion with their beliefs, that is the moment when they can become open to bigotry.

In the U.S., the Muslim community is often identifiable by appearance. Many people in the U.S. use physical traits to label others as Muslim. They may be incorrect in their assessment (often times they are), but they still do it. This develops a social construct of group identity, and a minority is now separated from the norm in the minds of ordinary people.

If you, as an atheist, are not physically distinguisable from Christians, that could be the reason you would never be labeled a bigot for your beliefs. Physical appearance matters a great deal in identity, and it separates bigotry from differences in opinion. Ideas can be changed, but a person's physical appearance (apart from the superficial) does not change. Once an idea merges with an appearance, the person receives a label, and it is hard to attack the idea without also attacking the person. It is still possible to do it, but it has to be done in a certain way. The anti-mosque protests have not come up with an argument that convinces me that they are only against the doctrine, not the people.

Pretty much everyone I've heard objecting to the mosque has been saying that they have every right to build it, but it's in bad taste.
And we'll start with that one. Why is it in bad taste?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
El Nino
That actually has everything to do with it.
How so?

El Nino
Well, do you think it's possible for a person to tell that you are an atheist just by looking at you?
No, but a person couldn't tell if I were Muslim by looking at me either.

El Nino
Would it be possible for you to blend in with a group of Christians if you were to keep your views silent?
Yes. And so could a Muslim. Also, a Christian or a Muslim could blend in with a group of atheists if they kept their views silent.

El Nino
There is a difference between an idea and a person, but when a person becomes identifiable in conjucntion with their beliefs, that is the moment when they can become open to bigotry.
Okay, fine. I identitify as a wrestling fan. So now nyone who says anything about wrestling, like that it's fake or stupid, is a bigot.

El Nino
In the U.S., the Muslim community is often identifiable by appearance.
How? The only way you could identify a Muslim by looking at the is if they wear religious clothing of some kind; in which case they'd be choosing to tell you that they were a Muslim by choosing to wear the clothing. Likewise, I could choose to tell people that I'm an atheist by wearing a **** that says 'THERE IS NO GOD' on the front of it.

El Nino
Many people in the U.S. use physical traits to label others as Muslim. They may be incorrect in their assessment (often times they are), but they still do it. This develops a social construct of group identity, and a minority is now separated from the norm in the minds of ordinary people.
People use physical traits to determine whether or not someone is Christian or atheist. I can't tell you the number of times someone has said to me, "Where do you go to church?", as if they automatically assumed that I went to church. A guy who I used to work with was a Wiccan. He constantly had people assume that he was an atheist because he had a lot of tattoos.

My mom is from Brooklyn, New York. People automatically assume that she's a liberal because she has a New York accent, even though she's a registered Republican. Does that make people bigoted against liberals?

El Nino
If you, as an atheist, are not physically distinguisable from Christians
I'm not physically distinguishable from Muslims either.

El Nino
Physical appearance matters a great deal in identity
Physical appearance has nothing to do with your beliefs.

El Nino
The anti-mosque protests have not come up with an argument that convinces me that they are only against the doctrine, not the people.
What makes you think that they're protesting the people. Do you think that no Muslim person has ever opened anything near ground zero since 9/11? If they're against the people, why aren't they protesting stores and restaurants being opened by Muslims? Why are they only against the mosque?

El Nino
And we'll start with that one. Why is it in bad taste?
I guess for the same reason people would say that holding a gun show near Columbine High was in bad taste.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay, fine. I identitify as a wrestling fan. So now nyone who says anything about wrestling, like that it's fake or stupid, is a bigot.
You can identify as whatever you want. But what happens next depends on how others view you. And you have little control over that part.

People often make that judgment based on perception of Middle Eastern descent.

Physical appearance has nothing to do with your beliefs.
True, but in the real world a lot of people don't bother to know your beliefs because they make snap judgments based on appearance. That is part of what defines bigotry and separates it from people who simply hold a difference in opinion. My argument here is that the anti-mosque group in the U.S. does make snap judgments based on appearance and attributes beliefs to that appearance.

Your views on Islam may be an opinion on what you know (or think you know) about the doctrine, but I don't think the anti-mosque movement in the U.S. holds your same position.

What makes you think that they're protesting the people.
Well, the footage of a crowd of anti-mosque protesters turning against a black man because they just assumed he was Muslim, for one.

If they're against the people, why aren't they protesting stores and restaurants being opened by Muslims?
Because they identify the group with the religion alone; I don't think they would know that a store or restaurant is being run by Muslim owners; I'm not sure they would bother to go out of their way to find out; I would also guess that they would most likely avoid themed establishments. The "mosque" at Ground Zero is a convenient symbol that they can attack.

I guess for the same reason people would say that holding a gun show near Columbine High was in bad taste.
And what is that reason?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
El Nino
You can identify as whatever you want. But what happens next depends on how others view you. And you have little control over that part.
So you agree that, because I identify as a wrestling fan, anyone who says wrestling is fake is a bigot?

El Nino
People often make that judgment based on perception of Middle Eastern descent.
Assuming that someone is Muslim because they're Arab is an example of racism. That has nothing to do with criticism of Islam itself.

El Nino
True, but in the real world a lot of people don't bother to know your beliefs because they make snap judgments based on appearance.
Again, assuming that I am or am not a particular religion based on my appearance is separate from criticism of a particular religion. This has nothing to do with the ground zero mosque. People aren't falsely assuming that the mosque or the people running it are Islamic.

El Nino
My argument here is that the anti-mosque group in the U.S. does make snap judgments based on appearance and attributes beliefs to that appearance.
They aren't making snap judgments though. The jury is in on whether or not the building is an Islamic community center.

If some Arab people were opening a restaurant near Ground Zero, and people were calling it a mosque, then maybe you'd have a point. That isn't the case though.

El Nino
Your views on Islam may be an opinion on what you know (or think you know) about the doctrine, but I don't think the anti-mosque movement in the U.S. holds your same position.
I never claimed to have the same position as the anti-mosque people. In fact, I said the exact opposite.

El Nino
Well, the footage of a crowd of anti-mosque protesters turning against a black man because they just assumed he was Muslim, for one.
Help me out here... How is judging all anti-mosque people based on the actions of one group different than judging all Muslims based on the actions of terrorists?

El Nino
Because they identify the group with the religion alone; I don't think they would know that a store or restaurant is being run by Muslim owners
You just contradicted yourself. You're argument the whole time has been that people can identify Muslims by their appearance, and now you're saying the exact opposite when it's convenient to your point.

El Nino
And what is that reason?
Seeing a gun show in their town could bring back terrible memories to some of the people who were effected by the Columbine shootings, and, for that reason, some people would feel that it was inconsiderate and insensitive of me to hold my gun show in Columbine when I could just as easily have it in another location.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
So you agree that, because I identify as a wrestling fan, anyone who says wrestling is fake is a bigot?
If others identify you as a wrestling fan to the point that you are considered a part of a cohesive community that is different from the norm, then sure. The thing about racism and bigotry is that it also depends a lot on how other people in society see you. You can identify as something, but if no one else sees you that way, then bigotry is not going to apply to you as far as that particular identity goes.

Assuming that someone is Muslim because they're Arab is an example of racism. That has nothing to do with criticism of Islam itself.
Yes. My point is that this view is mostly what I'm seeing from the anti-mosque camp. Criticizing Islam and being against the "mosque" on the grounds that it is offensive because of 9/11 are different positions.

The jury is in on whether or not the building is an Islamic community center.
Elaborate on that, please?

How is judging all anti-mosque people based on the actions of one group different than judging all Muslims based on the actions of terrorists?
I meant my comments specifically for that group (and others like it) who turned on that guy. I was addressing that specific mentality.

You just contradicted yourself. You're argument the whole time has been that people can identify Muslims by their appearance, and now you're saying the exact opposite when it's convenient to your point.
I also said that those who act on prejudice often make the wrong assessment when they attempt to identify Muslims by appearance, as in my example of a crowd turning on a guy who was black but not Muslim. They made a visual assessment, and they were incorrect, but they still made it. Sorry for the confusion, but I never meant to imply that such assessments are accurate, just that the people making the assessments think that they are accurate, and so they persist in that behavior.

Edit:
Seeing a gun show in their town could bring back terrible memories to some of the people who were effected by the Columbine shootings, and, for that reason, some people would feel that it was inconsiderate and insensitive of me to hold my gun show in Columbine when I could just as easily have it in another location.
Do you consider that viewpoint to be prejudiced against gunowners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom