• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

WarranThad

Smash Ace
the horse is white
what color is the horse

is that seriously how your english exams arel ike? my french exams are pretty hilariously easy too, but still.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I get 80+% in english and I fail french. I never liked french, that's why I'm going to the US next year.
omg omg, can I go with you!!!

Seriously, we all know youre an islamist tryin to pull off a terrorist attack and youre currently recruiting

I wont fall for this one again

''unlimited free virgins when u blow yourself up ahkbar'' thats nonsense lol

the ''jerk the monkey's swinging **** and get a free ipod'' ads are more credible imo

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
omg omg, can I go with you!!!

Seriously, we all know youre an islamist tryin to pull off a terrorist attack and youre currently recruiting

I wont fall for this one again

''unlimited free virgins when u blow yourself up ahkbar'' thats nonsense lol

the ''jerk the monkey's swinging **** and get a free ipod'' ads are more credible imo
that post was epic.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
Mario Kart wii....

I probably played this game b4... cause mario kart is always the same god**** thing
BigRick, are you the type of person who does not read books because they all have an ending and that your tired of your books having endings?

Or maybe do you not play fighting games because they all involve punches and kicks at some point?

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
BigRick, are you the type of person who does not read books because they all have an ending and that your tired of your books having endings?

Or maybe do you not play fighting games because they all involve punches and kicks at some point?
Ur first example doesnt apply at all...

I see what ure sayin in ur 2nd sentence, but fighting games can be very different from each other even if its in the same series... just look at smash or sf

mario kart, mario strikers, mario party, mario funeral is same old same old

okey dokey!

EDIT: I dont hate mario kart btw, I had all of them except the wii one

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
Ur first example doesnt apply at all...

I see what ure sayin in ur 2nd sentence, but fighting games can be very different from each other even if its in the same series... just look at smash or sf

mario kart, mario strikers, mario party, mario funeral is same old same old

okey dokey!

EDIT: I dont hate mario kart btw, I had all of them except the wii one
Mario Funeral makes you win this argument instantly.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart Wii's awesome so far, I'm having a blast playing online and I'm liking the new gameplay, even though snaking's been dumbed down. There may be less karts to choose from than the DS game, but they have very specific stats and handle differently.

IMO, calling any new Mario Kart "the same old" just goes to show that you're just a casual fan of the series; just look at Brawl's reviews, a good deal of them had the criticism that it's "pretty much the same as the previous games in the end", and yet we definitely don't think so because we're big fans of it.

The more I play, though, the more I seem to think that bikes have the advantage over karts. In addition to generally have an easier time snaking, they can also gain instant speed by just going in a straight line on one wheel. I can beat my best Time Trial time with a kart by 5 seconds without breaking a sweat by using a bike.

Anyways, my FC is 4639 9362 1186. I'll add you D-F. I'm desperately looking for nearby players to play with.

Card

Smash Lord
Mario Kart Wii's awesome so far, I'm having a blast playing online and I'm liking the new gameplay, even though snaking's been dumbed down. There may be less karts to choose from than the DS game, but they have very specific stats and handle differently.

IMO, calling any new Mario Kart "the same old" just goes to show that you're just a casual fan of the series; just look at Brawl's reviews, a good deal of them had the criticism that it's "pretty much the same as the previous games in the end", and yet we definitely don't think so because we're big fans of it.
I will have to disagree.

From a design perspective, Mario Kart Wii did absolutely nothing in order to innovate or reinvent the franchise. In fact Nintendo actually removed many of the features and design choices which were a staple for the Mario Kart series for nearly a decade (Manual Mini-Boosts, Co-Operative Grand Prix, 4-Player Battle Mode, etc...). Pretty much Bikes, Wheelies, and Tricks, are the only new features in this title that were invented in this title. Even then it can be argued that Bikes are simply a re-skinned Kart with different handling properties onto it.

While keeping Mario Kart the same isn't necessarily a bad thing (aka: If it isn't broken, don't fix it) it just bothers me to know that Nintendo didn't really try to be intuitive as much as they could with this title. Compare the leap that Mario Sunshine took to Mario Galaxy, and then take a look at the tiny baby step that Mario Kart Double Dash/DS took to Mario Kart Wii and you should be able to get a clear picture of exactly what I am talking about. What you are looking at is the tiny little nuances of the game which are slightly different from its predecessors which the core market of this title (read: not competitive/pro players) will not be able to notice. The same can be said about Brawl.

So yes, Mario Kart Wii is in-fact the "Same Old" unless you get down to the nitty-gritty of it.

Fun Trivia: The only Mario Kart title which feature any type of drastic innovation and actually changed the way Mario Kart was played was "Mario Kart: Double Dash"... the only Mario Kart title which did not have the console's name that it was on, in the title (aka: Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Kart).

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
Double-Dash was hands down the worst of the series. Being a lot less competitive, more items oriented and just plain weird drifting mechanics made it bad, that and the graphics were too mario sunshine for my taste: they should have used a different graphics engine.

I'm considering getting the wii version but might hold off until school is finish.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Actually the worst in the serie was Mario Kart 64. That's one bad game. The best so far would have to be between Mario Kart on snes and The Ds one. Yet, like Card said, no need to really change things that aren't broken, but one day it will break up if you keep using the same thing, thus why some changes could be good as well...

Card

Smash Lord
Double-Dash was hands down the worst of the series. Being a lot less competitive, more items oriented and just plain weird drifting mechanics made it bad, that and the graphics were too mario sunshine for my taste: they should have used a different graphics engine.

I'm considering getting the wii version but might hold off until school is finish.
That's beside the point. It is still hands-down the biggest innovative step Nintendo has taken with the Mario Kart series. Your personal thoughts on the games merit is entirely opinionated and really doesn't mean anything. Double Dash actually strayed away from the standard Mario Kart formula and tried out totally new things with the franchise. The Dual-Kart mechanic was really well thought of, and allowed for some totally new strategies when it came to kart control, character selection and item pick-ups.

Man, I am so fired up to make a huge reply right now... but I'm at work. D:
To me? or to Mystic Viper's comment about Double Dash sucking?

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
Actually the worst in the serie was Mario Kart 64. That's one bad game. The best so far would have to be between Mario Kart on snes and The Ds one. Yet, like Card said, no need to really change things that aren't broken, but one day it will break up if you keep using the same thing, thus why some changes could be good as well...
You've obviously haven't gone back to play the SNES one any time recently or else you would like realize just how much the game play is broken back then. I mean come on: if only one of your 4 wheels goes over the water you magically fall in completely?

And Card, I think your the one missing the point; i never said it wasn't innovative. If I did so, please point it out in my post using a quotation. Until then, please realize I was merely stating my opinion of the game.

Also, keep in mind innovation does not equate to better gameplay and thats how i feel about doubledash. It took out things like having 3 mushrooms during your time trials, jumping over small gaps and made illegal shortcuts impossible due to you being taken right back to the track if you stray for even a second. DoubleDash was Nintendo's beginning at making games that everyone can enjoy without it being too competitive and alienating other people. Sadly, competitive fans are being ignored, more and more by the big N.

I'd like to also add that my favorite Mario Kart up to date is the 64 one: balanced items, fun tracks, a few illegal shortcuts for the more competitive players and easter eggs made that game the best in the series, followed by the DS one, but not in a close second.

Card

Smash Lord
And Card, I think your the one missing the point; i never said it wasn't innovative. If I did so, please point it out in my post using a quotation. Until then, please realize I was merely stating my opinion of the game.
No need to act like a smart ***.

As I said, you were stating your opinion on certain aspects of double-dash which didn't have anything to do with what both Agora and myself were discussing. (that being Mario Kart being claimed as "the same old thing") I did realize that you were stating your opinion, and I pointed out that your opinion has nothing to do with the subject at hand. So no, I didn't miss the point, you did when you brought your opinion on DD being the worst in the series when it had nothing to do with what we were talking about.

and while yes you are correct in saying that Innovation does not always equate to Improved Gameplay, but it's the job of the designers of any game to come up with unique and interesting ways to improve whatever titles they are working on. While Double Dash may or (as you so adamantly claimed) may not be a good title in the mario kart franchise, it still shows a great deal of innovation which Nintendo usually has in all of it's star franchise titles. Mario Kart Wii on the other hand...

Damax

Smash Lord
lol I started a healthy debate with a nonsense post

yay!
just because of you we are talking of crap kart. I can't believe how much time you guys just argue on what is what and who has more fun that who with some game, dang. you seriously can't keep your ****ing opinion ya? they do suck like mine does.

the most funny part is that no one even care about other's opinions beside you guys. LOL

we need more members like daisy fan.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Damax... this is a forum for discussion AFAIK, and I'm actually very interested in Card's opinion on the matter... I'd like to think the Montreal thread can sometimes elevate itself over insulting new players and posting 4chan memes :(

Not sure if the mods like us having discussions about Mario Kart, but this is the Montreal thread, so I guess anything goes ; )

From a design perspective, Mario Kart Wii did absolutely nothing in order to innovate or reinvent the franchise. In fact Nintendo actually removed many of the features and design choices which were a staple for the Mario Kart series for nearly a decade (Manual Mini-Boosts, Co-Operative Grand Prix, 4-Player Battle Mode, etc...). Pretty much Bikes, Wheelies, and Tricks, are the only new features in this title that were invented in this title. Even then it can be argued that Bikes are simply a re-skinned Kart with different handling properties onto it.
I won't go as far as to call Mario Kart Wii a revolution in the world of Mario Kart, I'll even agree that Double Dash was miles ahead of Mario Kart 64 in terms of new elements (it's my favorite Mario Kart game, after all, 5 years after its release, I was still playing it and enjoying every minute of it), but I'll argue that Mario Kart Wii does clearly introduce enough new elements to make it a noteworthy addition to the franchise and did not remove anything that was essential to the game.

To begin, though, you may either not have played the game enough or based these opinions on reviews that were too lazy (or uninformed) to even FIND the Rules sections of the VS menu, but

1. Co-Op Grand Prix is not only still there, but has reached critical mass. The only difference is that you cannot unlock things by playing with 2 or more friends. It now lets you choose if you want comps to fill up the 12 spots or not, how hard the comps will be, which vehicules they are allowed to use, what cc class you will play in, what item setting you want, which tracks will be raced through and even lets you select the number of tracks there will be before the final podium.

2. In the same fashion, 4-player battle with no CPUs is still possible, however only team battles are possible, and there seems to be no way to not make it a time-based affair. This at least allows classic 1 vs 1 battles to take place.

As for manual Mini-boosts, even though it's been there since Mario Kart 64, does it mean that it was the best decision to keep including them? The original game awarded a mini-boost only when a slide was executed correctly, and everyone thinks that was fine. But since Double Dash, it seems like whoever presses left and right fast enough has the edge, effectively making every race a mashing of the joysticks to get this mini-boost. What does Mario Kart Wii do? It removed the previous requirement to mash left and right, but the final result is the same; you still get mini-boosts when power-sliding.
This doesn't even eliminate snaking, it's just harder, takes more skill to do and is much more balanced within the rest of the game, unlike Mario Kart DS' set of few karts that eradicated all the others just because they had good snaking and mini-boost stats.

As for what else is new about the game; Team based races seems like a much better idea than Double Dash's coop on the same kart. Not only does it add strategies that can only be done with two karts, but items have also been modified to not affect your teammate, so this opens up even more possibilities. (Now that I think about it... could you do team races in the DS version? I'll admit I never tried.)

I'm not sure about bikes yet, it seems like they might be slightly unbalanced as it is, since the addition of a stronger mini-boost doesn't seem to be as good as the bikes' overall maneuverability and one-wheel speed boosts, only time will tell if they are a balanced addition, but nevertheless not one to be taken lightly.

And stunts, well, when the track is taking advantage of them, which is admittedly not always the case, it does make for some very new and refreshing gameplay elements to take advantage of; do I risk going for the half pipe to get the item but lose a bit of time, or go straight and risk being unprotected?

MK Wii also has the most fleshed out online mode, that amounts to something, right? It lets you play with a friend online, send and receive ghosts from pretty much everyone, participate in limited time tournaments created by Nintendo that will actually alter the tracks and provide new challenges everytime. It even uses an OLE-like ranking system (kinda like the one chess players use) for both VS and Battles modes.

I could go on, but these are the main elements that convince me that MK Wii is a beast of its own and should be regarded as such. It requires a whole new set of skills to play, and allows lots of room for improvement to get that edge over the populace.

Damax

Smash Lord
Damax... this is a forum for discussion AFAIK, and I'm actually very interested in Card's opinion on the matter... I'd like to think the Montreal thread can sometimes elevate itself over insulting new players and posting 4chan memes :(

1. Mario party

2. LONG BORING POST

that's what I meant. its basically a fight 1v1 on mario kart. msn? its not even funny, nor does it interest me one bit. it'll just make me leave the thread just like a brawl vs melee discussion would do.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Agony and Mystic participated, we can't be the only ones interested in Mario Kart :|

Anyways, I'll concede that this is a Smash forum, so the discussion shouldn't happen here, Card if you wanna continue this, feel free to PM me :)

Card

Smash Lord
To your entire post I reply with what I said earlier (which you agree to);

Mario Kart Wii is in-fact the "Same Old" unless you get down to the nitty-gritty of it.

Your entire post was basically pointing out all the nitty-gritty of of Mario Kart Wii. That's all.
Mario Kart Wii does not introduce any new elements to the Mario Kart franchise, it merely tweaked/improved/removed all the features from previous installments, without actually innovating in any real area.

They made light-year improvments the Online features from Mario Kart DS.
They balanced the mini-boosting mechanic from Previous Mario Karts.
They tweaked co-op grand prix both better and for worse.
They tweaked battle mode both better and for worse.
Everything else in the title was also just tweaked, balanced, improved, or removed from previous installments.

Also... don't confuse "Not Innovative" with "Bad Game". Mario Kart Wii is still a beast in its own right, like you said. It's highly worthy of all its praise and reviews, and its definitely fun. But like I said in my first post, Mario Kart Wii did absolutely nothing to reinvent or innovate the Mario Kart franchise. This is my major gripe with the game. When someone asks me "How is the new Mario Kart?" I can basically reply "...It's Mario Kart" and that can sum up the entire game without really going into the nitty-gritty as you just have in your massive post.

Like I said, the only things sort of worth mentioning as being totally new (Never before seen in any previous Mario Kart in ANY way, shape, or form) are Bikes, Wheelies, and Stunts. But to me, those are hardly worth mentioning as being highly innovative for the franchise. (Dual-Karts from Double-Dash on the otherhand, was an extremely innovative feature that they added... why did they remove it? They could of had Karts/Bikes/Dual-Karts leagues or something...)

So unless you can prove to me that Mario Kart Wii truly innovated the franchise, my argument still stands.

PS: Not being able to unlock anything during Co-Op Grand Prix counts AS removing Co-Op Grand Prix. One of my most favorite features of every console Mario Kart was the co-op grand prix which I would play with my friends to unlock everything from start to finish. This feature is now GONE. When I bought Mario Kart Wii, my roommate Left was like "Lets do the whole grand prix 2-players and unlock everything" only for us to find out that it could only be done 1-player, and the 2-player VS version of it counts for absolutely nothing. So pretty much I need to do it one-player to unlock everything... when it was 2-player for every previous installment.

EDIT: lmao stfu damax! If people can talk about Badminton, others can talk about Mario Kart.

EDIT 2: I still love you Damax <3 <3 <3

Agora

Smash Journeyman
They did talk about Badminton for a while, didn't they? :p

As for the argument at hand, if these new elements don't cut it for you, I guess it's a matter of expectations being different between us?

Reworked power slides, bikes, wheelies, stunts and team races all mean that I have to relearn core elements of the gameplay to get back to the prime I was with, say, Double Dash. This to me says that I'm playing a new game rather than a "tweaked" one.

And don't you have a Friend Code for me? I want moar plz :O

Edit: And I find that being deceived that Coop GP doesn't let you unlock things is such a short-lived negative comment. It's only going to matter the first few days you get the, but in 2 years, when you just want to challenge your friend to a 1v1 GP run, you won't give a sheet about unlocking things together. My fondest memories of the Mario Kart series have to do with redoing GPs in Mario Kart 64 with my neighbour over and over and over again for months, after all.

Daisy-Fan

Smash Journeyman
le seule et seule probleme Card,
c'est que t'accpete pas le changement du Next-Gen.
Bon sang tu prend tu vraiment que Big N va toujour faire la meme chose?!
Se next-gen es juste bon et il faut juste changer de look.

Les Moto: un vitesse fort mais pas bon a un depart.

Kart: véhicule de niveau normal.

Et etc..
Il faut pas oubiler que c'est ni le dernier aussi.

Sinon Ago on se fais un match.

Top Bottom