• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MomoCon 2007, March 17th

GreenFX

Smash Rookie
March 17th, 2007 registration for the smash tourney starts @ 10 am ends at 4 pm

actual tourney starts @ 3 and ends...tba...sry dunno

takes place at the Geogia Tech student Center in Atlanta as part of Momocon, an anime/gaming convention. Don't expect this to be the most organized tourney you go to, but tourney arrangement quality has improved year by year.

Singles and Teams rules:

-double elimination
-$5 or $10 entry fee, Vote will occur at the beginning of the tournament
-Pot split is 60-30-10
-Stock 4, Time 8:00
-Semis and final matches are Final Destination (up to the contenders what they want)
-no moving stages
-In the likely occurrence of more than 32 players/teams, we will split people up into different brackets and winners from different brackets will face each other or round robin.
-Semis are 2 out of 3, finals are 3 of 5, in a set of 2, Although it is completely up to the final contenders how much they want to play.
-Teams: friendly fire is on
-same bracket rules apply

I know atleast 2 people from the boards came last year, not including myself, so anyone up for a little St. Patty's day Smash for some money?;) ...

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Momocon tourney sucked so many nuts last time that I know for sure I wouldn't come even if I were payed. Sorry to put it so harshly but last time it was such a horrible experience, the **** convention was almost over by the time the tourney was >_>

edit : two tv's and one projector + like 50 players = bad tournament

Carter88

Smash Journeyman
Ha, I'm still gonna go if I can. With so many people (noobs) at $10 a piece, there's a lot of money to win. I think 112 and I are gonna head over there, see if we can win.

Green FX- you need to change the "no moving stages" rule. That's ridiculous.

mog112

Smash Ace
yeah me and crtr should be there.

do you have any idea on how many tvs and gamecubes there will be?

i think we will probably try to bring two tvs (least 1) and two gamecubes just because of how it was last year.

hopefully will be $10, more money in pot but somehow i doubt it will happen.

ill try and help more when i get there.

eastheaven

Smash Ace
I hope I get 3rd, 10% doesn't sound bad to me. :)

Oh, I may be able to bring supplies too, a cube or two and maybe one TV.

Hitman_Yosumi1881

Smash Rookie
hmmm im not a big fan of disorganization (i kno hosting tourneys take work and time) but ill try to come up there for some smash.....that is if my friends arent alrdy drunk :laugh:

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ok,

so I see a rule that only says no moving stages.

Then I dont see anything about items.

And I see this is at a convention.

**** this sounds like a scrubfest. :/

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
Regarding the rules:

Will this be single or double elimination?

"Up to the contenders what they want?" What is this sentence fragment supposed to mean? Does this apply to all matches not in the finals or semis? Does it mean that the two players must agree on a non-moving stage?

"Although it is completely up to the final contenders how much they want to play." What does this mean? Do they just keep playing match after match until someone admits the other is more deserving of the prize money?

GreenFX

Smash Rookie
about the quality, momocon staffers are really going for orginization and service for smash this year, i guess when people started losing on purpose just to be able to leave and go enjoy the rest of the con they got the message...momocon is actually canceling other tournies to gain more staff, and they've promised a much larger amount of tvs, cubes, etc. (its still byoc obviously), and i'm not 100% sure, but i think the tourney will be in a much more spacious area, i know they're moving the tourney room/rooms somewhere else, just not sure how large said new area will be.

Professor X - Double elim. sry :p

Carter88 - I'm not involved with planning the tourney at all, i just copied and pasted what was on the official momo forums. :/

DogySamich - sry, there WILL NOT be any items. It's such a common rule i guess i just forgot to mention it

and if you're interested enough, go to www.momocon.com , click the forums tab, go to tournies, and read up yourself.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
-Semis and final matches are Final Destination (up to the contenders what they want)
-no moving stages
DogySamich - sry, there WILL NOT be any items. It's such a common rule i guess i just forgot to mention it

Contradiction at it's best.

Eh, who knows, i might show up and chill w/ 112, carter, and mike. Depends on how this goes in junction with snowday.

mog112

Smash Ace
about the quality, momocon staffers are really going for orginization and service for smash this year, i guess when people started losing on purpose just to be able to leave and go enjoy the rest of the con they got the message...momocon is actually canceling other tournies to gain more staff, and they've promised a much larger amount of tvs, cubes, etc. (its still byoc obviously), and i'm not 100% sure, but i think the tourney will be in a much more spacious area, i know they're moving the tourney room/rooms somewhere else, just not sure how large said new area will be.

and if you're interested enough, go to www.momocon.com , click the forums tab, go to tournies, and read up yourself.
somehow i doubt they are going to be that much more organized but hopefully they will. as long as we get around 8 tv's it probably cant be that bad.

mog112

Smash Ace
yeah i think it is lol

i think any stage that doesnt move is on.

prbly just icicle mountain, rainbow cruise, pokefloats, big blue, brinstar depths, and maybe mute city will be baned.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
I found this nugget on the Momocon message board:

"SSBM/Team SSBM 3pm: they will go at teh same time."

eastheaven

Smash Ace
I could bring a TV!11
It seriously is like 12 inches, though. Maybe 13.

Do you think they'ed even play on that?

Carter88

Smash Journeyman
I just won a literary competition, so now I gotta go to state finals on saturday (yes, I'm a genius). So I can't go. Oh well, now 112 will actually get some money. BEAT HIM TONG!!

I really am pretty pissed that I can't go though...

co_and_me

Smash Lord
I might still go even though people have expressed how poorly run this tourny was last year. I belive someone said there was like 2 people from the boards. This is very very wrong. I could list names but I dont feel that it would do much good. But yes last year they told us that they were suposed to have more TVs but someone messed with the list. Also we were in one of the worst rooms in the IC building ever. Its the one room that they ripped chairs out of. They decided to try to run a 64 man tourny off of one projector and one TV. After enough complaints they took a "vote" and thus we just ran it on two TVs. They had to cancle the team tourny just to run it double elim. People just started leaving because they didnt realize there was an entry fee. The rules are generally ok but at the same time there is a pretty commonly accepted way of running tourny matches. I might go to this just to be a giant ***. I will counter pick hyrule and then shoot them with one laser and run away for the rest of the game. I WILL DO IT MOMO CON.

eastheaven

Smash Ace
You have to win by stock though, damage doesn't count when time runs out.

MOMOCON VS WORLD

co_and_me

Smash Lord
yes it does. Well in every other tourny ever it does. Its a general misconseption but it actually does come down to % in most tournies.

mog112

Smash Ace
tong bring your tv

anyone else going, it would help if you could bring a tv. last year there was not enough so i just dont want to make sure that happens again.

also, does any body know if the tournament starts at 3?? and registration starts at 10 am is that correct?

Laijin

Smash Hero
Jeez. I was hoping to win this without much competition at all.
But seems like Carter, Tong and 112 are going. :o Hopefully I can still place(if not 1st. lawlz)

Hey Tong! If they have a team tourney, wanna team up?

mog112

Smash Ace
no i dont think that is correct. it says top players, not top player. so more than 1 person should make it out of each pool, and if not then i will set them straight when i get there.

El Cancel

Smash Journeyman
yes it does. Well in every other tourny ever it does. Its a general misconseption but it actually does come down to % in most tournies.
there isn't a setting for that is there?

sudden death must be considered random (with those bombs and all).

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
After some consideration and listning to 112's advice, i think ima show up to this.

Besides, I still want my 10Man Gangbang match vs 112. ;)

Top Bottom