• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Momentum-Changing Moves

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
As of lately, I've played as random characters (Simply because I was tired of practicing tech), and I noticed that some moves will change your momentum in the air, either by resetting fall speed, or slowing fall speed. (I don't mean moves that propel you or are /supposed/ to do this, just moves you wouldn't expect it to) Some of the effects are more obvious, while I had to notice them in other modes just to see it. Any of them that I find (or if you post them below, I'll add them), will be posted here.

:4yoshi::4kirby::4fox:Down-B
:4tlink::4zss::4sheik::4gaw::4sonic::4lucario:D-air
:4bowser:Down-B, D-air
:4yoshi::4mario::4drmario::4marth::4lucina:(:4feroy:?)Side-B
:4wiifitm:Side-B, Down-B
:4robinm::4peach::4zelda:Neutral-B
:4pacman::4charizard:Down-B
:substitute:Final Smash
:4rob:D-Air, B-Air
:4ryu: (Any Hadoken variant stalls in the air) Neutral-B, Down-B
:4fox:F-Air

If you find any others, let me know! I think that this is an interesting phenomenon that should be explored more.
{EDIT, 9/20/15} Thank you so much for the help! I'll be adding anything I missed here!

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Lucario's dair is very noticable, though I'm not sure if it's explicitly supposed to do that.

1FC0

Smash Lord
R.O.B. has 2 aerials that can change momentum. R.O.B.'s Bair moves him forward and R.O.B.'s Dair can stop downward momentum and seems to be able to even make him go up a bit.

In SSBB Tiny R.O.B. even had an infinite recovery thanks to his Dair.

Last edited:

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
Zelda's neutral B slows her her movement in the air I'm pretty sure. Fox's shine resets his fall speed as well. Plus counter moves on each of the swordsmen.

Raijinken

Smash Master
All of Mario's cape variants stall him. Notably, Doc's (at least Super Sheet, maybe the others) don't.

And of course, all aerial normals will cancel fast-falling.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
So, to be clear, we're going to list all moves that change momentum?
-------------------------
All stall/fall moves stops falling speed before you do the move, includes:
:4yoshi::4kirby:Down-B
:4tlink::4link::4zss::4sheik::4gaw::4sonic:D-air
:4bowser:Down-B, D-air

You should also look at:
:4yoshi:Side-B
:4wiifitm:Side-B, Down-B
:4robinm:Neutral-B
:4peach:Neutral-B
:4marth::4lucina:Side-B
:4pacman:Down-B
:4charizard:Down-B

I would go into detail, but I don't enough about the characters and I don't want to say anything wrong.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Are we listing specials too? Robo Burner and Arm Rotor also change momentum and Gyro and Robo Beam can be used for B-Reversing and Wavebouncing.

Raijinken

Smash Master
G&W's dair is also stall-n-fall. Roy's Double Edge Dance functions like Dancing Blade, too. Falcon Punch and its variants stall briefly during the punch itself, as do Straight Lunge and all of its variants. All counters briefly stop downward momentum.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Are we listing specials too? Robo Burner and Arm Rotor also change momentum and Gyro and Robo Beam can be used for B-Reversing and Wavebouncing.
Are we including B-reversing too? That'll make this twice as complicated D:

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
Ryu's Hadoken (all variations) make Ryu stall in the air.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Note that all aerials will cause a fast fall to become a slow fall.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Pressing down in the air can change R.O.B.'s momentum by makign him fastfall.

Pressing to the side can make him change momentum by making him move to the pressed direction.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So, to be clear, we're going to list all moves that change momentum?
-------------------------
All stall/fall moves stops falling speed before you do the move, includes:

:4tlink::4link::4zss::4sheik::4gaw::4sonic:D-air
:4link:'s Dair doesn't, it works like a normal aerial.

1FC0

Smash Lord
R.O.B.'s double jump changes momentum and makes R.O.B. go upwards.

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Oh, we're doing all moves? In that case, :4gaw:'s Bucket messes with momentum in weird ways. :4ryu:'s Hadoken makes him stall and (I'm pretty sure) Focus Attack slightly lowers fall speed. :4mewtwo:' fully charged Shadow Ball, Confusion, and I think even Diable all affect momentum.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Oh, we're doing all moves? In that case, :4gaw:'s Bucket messes with momentum in weird ways. :4ryu:'s Hadoken makes him stall and (I'm pretty sure) Focus Attack slightly lowers fall speed. :4mewtwo:' fully charged Shadow Ball, Confusion, and I think even Diable all affect momentum.
In a similar vein as Shadow Ball, Charge Shot also has a notable backwards recoil.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I thought they stalled briefly either at charge or launch in midair?
And I'm inclined to think Nosferatu slows as well.
I might be wrong, but I tested it and it didn't seem like it did...well, charge/Thunder/Elthunder at least.
Nosferatu does briefly.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I know the FE cast's counters in Brawl would stop upward momentums when used out of a jump or ledge jump

Don't remember if that's the case here or not

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I know the FE cast's counters in Brawl would stop upward momentums when used out of a jump or ledge jump

Don't remember if that's the case here or not
Yes to both for all FE counters, although it seems to briefly stop all momentum (out of a jump, anyways).

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't know if you count these but :4link::4tlink:'s bombs and :4megaman:'s crasher can great upwards momentum through self injury. :4link: uses bombs to recover.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I don't know if you count these but :4link::4tlink:'s bombs and :4megaman:'s crasher can great upwards momentum through self injury. :4link: uses bombs to recover.
They also force your enemy upward! (Or downward for Meteor Bombs)

I'm fairly sure the general intent of the thread was to list moves where, by design, they uniquely alter fall speed or direction. Not all moves do this, but all jumps do, and wavebouncing does, and most damage does, so it seems a given that those should all be omitted.

Dr. Tornado and Luigi Cyclone can reduce downward momentum with an upward force that can result in upward movement.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Falcon
Falcon Kick increases his fast fall speed.
Falco
Wave Bounce Laser if that counts.
Marth
Counter and Side b stalls slightly. Neutral B increases and decreases his forward momentum. If you don't understand how to recover with shield breaker you can end up SDing due to just how much it can affect your forward momentum.

Last edited:

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
I wouldn't want to say recoveries specifically. Like Marth's Up-B or Fox's Side-B. I guess I could add it for those, but I think we should have added something that pertains to the speed at which you fall. It's up to yall, TBH.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Plus counter moves on each of the swordsmen.
^ This. Basically every counter move including Peach's Toad Neutral B & Lucario's Double Team Down B halt their falling momentum, resetting back to regular fall speed after a bit of time. Those characters with this option include:
:4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucario::4marth::4peach::4lucina::4shulk::4miisword::4feroy:

Shulk also changes his falling momentum with Back Slash.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I wouldn't want to say recoveries specifically. Like Marth's Up-B or Fox's Side-B. I guess I could add it for those, but I think we should have added something that pertains to the speed at which you fall. It's up to yall, TBH.
Robo Burner still changes momentum even when it is empty.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Really? How so? I'd test it out, but I currently don't have access to my Wii U.
R.O.B. seems to get a very small upwards boost which can slow his decent briefly if you are falling when you initiate Robo Burner with an empty fuel tank. It is pretty minor though and probably has very few applications.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Zelda's Side B slows your fall. It leaves you in free fall so it has few applications, but it's still something to be listed.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
lol, that was a joke, are you going to keep it there?

Anyway, do you think you should edit into the OP how each move affects aerial momentum specifically, or will that be too complicated?

(also, does Doctor Mario's side-B stall or not?)

Last edited:

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
lol, that was a joke, are you going to keep it there?

Anyway, do you think you should edit into the OP how each move affects aerial momentum specifically, or will that be too complicated?

(also, does Doctor Mario's side-B stall or not?)
I think it stalls... Also I didn't realize that was there lmao. But I don't know about the OP. If someone was willing to compile all the info, I'd do it. I just don't have the time right now. School has been eating up about 80% of my life.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Samus' down b stalls and Samus can hop off the explosion too (it also gives better aerial momentum shifting while in ball form).

Top Bottom