• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Momentum Cancelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Quick question that also popped up on the Oli boards the other day. When it comes to momentum cancelling, what would be Kirby's best aerial to do this with? I was thinking bair, but thats why I'm asking the pros because I could be wrong. :laugh:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Quick question that also popped up on the Oli boards the other day. When it comes to momentum cancelling, what would be Kirby's best aerial to do this with? I was thinking bair, but thats why I'm asking the pros because I could be wrong. :laugh:
DAir or BAir. I think DAir cancels better though. :x I've used DAir and lived past 150%

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Nah, I used dair as my cancel for everything, but after trying other random aerials, I realized upair's the best. It'll eliminate hitstun the fastest, and the upward momentum won't send you as far.

8BitRevolver

Smash Journeyman
im pretty sure up and down air are the best.
gonzo says down but i use up and live until pretty high percents.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I tend to use bair, but I'm not sure if it's the best. However, I DO know that you should do aerial>air hammer for MAXIMUM CANCELING. On the other hand, stone is a tricky momentum canceler that, situationally, is the best choice. If you have time to complete the transformation, it'll stop all of your momentum, but in general, it's best not to use it.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
i use fair, but i use it totally out of habit, lol. oh well. at least i use something XD

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I use Uair, just because it works pretty well and it tends to be the best choice for a lot of the characters I habitually use, making it easier for me to remember.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I tested a bunch, and U-air and D-air were very close, however, U-air combined with mashing fastfall seemed to be the best option.

Use U-air, fastfall, Jump+hammer if you want the gay ground lag and one less jump in exchange for a few percent more survivability. In the clutch its definitely worth it.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
If it's Momentum Canceling for a Smash and Stuff, It really depends on Which One Ends Faster. D-air is out of question. It has too much Start up Lag and Ending Lag. It's either between B-air or U-air.

It doesn't really matter unless you DI Upward BEFORE you're send Flying. Basically, when you get hit, DI upward at the same Time. If you do it After you're sent flying, you will most certainly die unless you weren't in the right %.

I personally DI Upward, Do one Bair, Jump then Keep Doing Bair.

And if you want a solid answer, go to Final D and test it with some one. I could Live to 170% if I'm hit from the Left Corner of FD toward the Right One. Test it on FD and then say on which % you died at.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Lol @ people using down-air. It's his longest lasting aerial... You guys must not know what MCing is meant to do.

Looks like you guys don't have frame data... but yeah, it's between u-air and b-air. I use u-air~

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Lol @ people using down-air. It's his longest lasting aerial... You guys must not know what MCing is meant to do.

Looks like you guys don't have frame data... but yeah, it's between u-air and b-air. I use u-air~
We Do have Frame Data. T!MmY has been gracious enough to share his Frame data with us. I was going to make a complete Attack Frame list but since he's already made it, I don't need to.

Besides, there like 2 or 3 guy's that say that D-air is best. The rest either say B-air or U-air. B-air comes out faster if I'm not mistaken, but I don't know which one lasts longer.

BentoBox

Smash Master
From timmy's guide:

N-air
Start-up: 1-9
Hits: 10-32
Cool-down: 10-60?

F-air
Hits: 10-11, 18-19, 27-28
Cool-down: 28-47

B-air
Start-up: 1-5
Hits: 6-20
Cool-down: 7-26

U-air
Hits: 10-15
Cool-down: 11-30

D-air
Start-up: 1-18
Hits: 19, 23, 28, 32, 36, 40 (ground: 48-49)
Cool-down: ?

So we don't know when d-air ends but we know there's still an hitbox 40 frames in which hence makes it much worse than u-air and b-air. The point of momentum canceling is to jump towards the stage as soon as you get past the hitstun phase, and the sooner you can jump, the more effective it is. So B-air is apparently his best MCing move with U-air as a close second.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
From timmy's guide:

N-air
Hits: 10-32
Cool-down: 10-60?

F-air
Hits: 10-11, 18-19, 27-28
Cool-down: 28-47

B-air
Start-up: 1-5
Hits: 6-20
Cool-down: 7-26

U-air
Hits: 10-15
Cool-down: 11-30

D-air
Start-up: 1-18
Hits: 19, 23, 28, 32, 36, 40 (ground: 48-49)
Cool-down: ?

So we don't know when d-air ends but we know there's still an hitbox 40 frames in which hence makes it much worse than u-air and b-air. The point of momentum canceling is to jump towards the stage as soon as you get past the hitstun phase, and the sooner you can jump, the more effective it is. So B-air is apparently his best MCing move with U-air as a close second.

I Kinda Figured Bair was the Best. Guess every one that said D-air was better should start practicing to use Bair now.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well, Bair pretty much just cancels your vertical momentum, and evens you out. Which only makes you go farther.
Upair's probably my favorite because you get vertical height, and don't go nearly as far.
Either one works just fine.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Well, Bair pretty much just cancels your vertical momentum, and evens you out. Which only makes you go farther.
Upair's probably my favorite because you get vertical height, and don't go nearly as far.
Either one works just fine.
When it comes down to the Exact %'s, B-air is better. Besides, if you get too much Vertical Distance, when you jump, you'll probably die on the top Blast Zone.

B-air is the better option, but I guess U air could work as well. I guess :/

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I've been doing it wrong this whole time...@_@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom