• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Momentum Cancel with Wavebouncing?

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
i was thinking about the possibility to change the direction of the momentum of a kill move with a wavebounced egg throw or a reverse EggLay
unfortunately i can´t try it because my wii broke down a few days ago ._.
so, if anyone does, pls post the outcome^^

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
well, lets say that you just got hit by a smash and you would die through leaving the screen on the left/right side
now my question is: would it be possible to change the direction of a horizontal momentum with a wavebounced egg throw for example? (U Air -> WB ET)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Probably not because it's not enough to counter the original momentum. The only reason egg braking works is because it stops all horizontal momentum.

bigman40

Smash Master
I just tested it, and it doesn't give enough to stop it. it would've been good if it completely changes it, but sadly. it doesn't perform as well as Uair + DJ

Airborne

Smash Lord
the thing about wavebouncing eggs is that even the slightest momentum in any direction will automatically push you the way that you're going, so if you are attempting to stop your momentum with just a uair, you could possibly just end up pushing yourself farther away, resulting in you dying from your egg toss.

that makes me wonder if you can uair>DJ>egg toss cancel the DJ and it push you back towards the stage...

Chaco

Never Logs In
It could yeah, but not a kill move. But if you mess the momentum up, you're screwed.

Depster

Smash Champion
If we mess anything up as Yoshi's we're screwed =D

Maybe we should experiment a little more with it?

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Yeah, Bigman's already said it but I've tested it out as well. It doesn't work sadly. The best way to stop momentum still appears to be DIing normally and up-aerial. I even tried up-aerial => egg-lay and it still doesn't reverse your momentum enough.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Egg Lay wouldn't anyway. It's momentum is controlled by the DJ. If you use that in the wrong area you're just going to fall to your death.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Wavebouncing an egg usually ends up killing me. Occasionally I'll be trying to egg back to the edge or something and accidentally wavebounce it, sending me the other way. =[

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
actually when i was informed about this waveboucning i tested it out immeadietly and realised it actually kills me more than what i wanted, however i did found to use wavebouncing for usually to place me in the right direction to nail a Bair or an egg lay while safely recovering back on the stage...but for a recovery DI is the best method....unless you are sent for a star KO, use Uair and quickly Egg roll if you do it fast enough you might life....but your hopeless while falling down so hope that your opponent was taunting you or something XD

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The only problem with Egg Roll is that you're reeeeeeeeally open as you're falling down. I don't think it has a good hitbox as it's falling, so you could be intercepted in the air, or they could just wait for you to land and smash you away again. Egg Roll has really slow aerial speed. =[

auroreon

Smash Ace
Wavebouncing an egg usually ends up killing me. Occasionally I'll be trying to egg back to the edge or something and accidentally wavebounce it, sending me the other way. =[
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS. THIS is the biggest disadvantage of using tap jump. Its so furstrating to be returning to the stage, only to toss an egg and suddenly bouce away from the stage without a DJ. I'm not even doing the input for a wavebounce either... IT JUST HAPPENS.

Edit:
I experimented a lot with using the Eggroll as a bucket-brake for Yoshi, and what Cod said it right. It should be obvious anyway, but its pretty much useless because the only time you are going to need the Eggroll-Brake to survive is in situations where the knockback is so great that you are right at the edge of the screen before entering the egg. The egg itself drops like a stone so its 100% useless and its not much better coming out of it in Freefall as you rarely have enough horizontal air speed in freefall to reach the stage, and even if you did... the opponant can do whatever they want to you while you are coming back towards the stage, you are completely vunerable.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It's funny, because I even wavebounce the egg without tap jump. It happened to me one time after I took a stock off an opponent without taking and hits. I dair'd for the kill and needed to DJ + Egg to reach the ledge, but the egg sent me the other way. I still won, but it was just so frustrating.

Auro, I think the idea for the Egg Roll was to stop vertical KOs. But the same stuff pretty much applies. You're still really vulnerable as you fall.

Top Bottom