• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Modulous: A new Smash modding website (With Project M support)

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
http://modulous.net/mod/132/Smash 3C Classic Pit#changelog
As you can see the changelog is empty, that means that there is no upload that matches the mod in the server, this is something that is likely not the server's fault, if I get to see the file that you are trying to upload I would be able to figure out wether it's a server sided bug or your fault.
I am going to move this over here because I don't want the Smash 3C thread being further derailed. For Pit, I was mainly talking about dickbutt and the stage, since I didn't have anything to do with uploading him. There are still problems I have with the site, but I generally haven't brought them up because I don't think it's my place to say, and I'm not a web designer. I have been a part of several modding communities, though, especially Bethesda games and Brawl modding, and I find Nexus and KC-MM still more intuitive and pleasant to use.

Both Nexus and KC-MM have categories you can easily view; this makes sense especially for nexus when there's a wide variety of mods you can find, but even a Brawl mods website should have a basic way to view all characters, all stages, or other types of files. Within those categories, you can also organize them by most downloads, endorsements, recently updated, newest, etc. All of that is missing as far as I can tell from Modulous. I do appreciate that you listened to people asking for the character view, but there's still no 'all characters,' view, and for that matter the Random button sends me to a page with an astonishing amount of anime girls http://modulous.net/c/ I feel that the Brawl and PM differentation is redundant, personally, but the fact that you can add sections for Roy and Mewtwo, for me, is an advantage over KC-MM's setup.

I also feel that there is too much space being used up by fluff when I navigate the site. The front page has too much redundancy, with the same mod being shown 2-4 times. Popular and Featured seem to be the same thing, as are Newest and Recently Updated (I am aware of the difference in all of these, but they're effectively pretty much the same in practice. You might want to think about doing something similar to Nexus for your featured section, which gives mods that have recently gotten popular 2 weeks on the front page. Aside from that, damn near half the page is used up by oversized fluff. I shouldn't have to scroll down for a while to get past that features section.

Juken

Smash Ace
Good work on the site once again.

I I'm noticing that the Smash 4 Jigglypuff for Brawl and PM isn't showing up in the Jigglypuff tags for either person, And I'd like adding an "all" box for the stages then one for the characters. Maybe that could be in the plae of the random box instead of the secret moe link being not so secret.

Also, is your new avatar of yourself?

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Good work on the site once again.

I I'm noticing that the Smash 4 Jigglypuff for Brawl and PM isn't showing up in the Jigglypuff tags for either person, And I'd like adding an "all" box for the stages then one for the characters. Maybe that could be in the plae of the random box instead of the secret moe link being not so secret.

Also, is your new avatar of yourself?
Jigglypuff's don't show up because they were uploaded before Project M became ProjectM internally, I will fix that up right now.

And yes, that's me, I will make the random box link to all characters.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I am going to move this over here because I don't want the Smash 3C thread being further derailed. For Pit, I was mainly talking about dickbutt and the stage, since I didn't have anything to do with uploading him. There are still problems I have with the site, but I generally haven't brought them up because I don't think it's my place to say, and I'm not a web designer. I have been a part of several modding communities, though, especially Bethesda games and Brawl modding, and I find Nexus and KC-MM still more intuitive and pleasant to use.

Both Nexus and KC-MM have categories you can easily view; this makes sense especially for nexus when there's a wide variety of mods you can find, but even a Brawl mods website should have a basic way to view all characters, all stages, or other types of files. Within those categories, you can also organize them by most downloads, endorsements, recently updated, newest, etc. All of that is missing as far as I can tell from Modulous. I do appreciate that you listened to people asking for the character view, but there's still no 'all characters,' view, and for that matter the Random button sends me to a page with an astonishing amount of anime girls http://modulous.net/c/ I feel that the Brawl and PM differentation is redundant, personally, but the fact that you can add sections for Roy and Mewtwo, for me, is an advantage over KC-MM's setup.

I also feel that there is too much space being used up by fluff when I navigate the site. The front page has too much redundancy, with the same mod being shown 2-4 times. Popular and Featured seem to be the same thing, as are Newest and Recently Updated (I am aware of the difference in all of these, but they're effectively pretty much the same in practice. You might want to think about doing something similar to Nexus for your featured section, which gives mods that have recently gotten popular 2 weeks on the front page. Aside from that, damn near half the page is used up by oversized fluff. I shouldn't have to scroll down for a while to get past that features section.
Modulous is built for the future, that's why there are no hardcoded categories, because new categories could show up in the future, or be specific for smaller mods that aren't implemented as main games in the site.

For example, imagine that brawl- raichu got famous or something, people would tag it "Brawl_Minus" and "Raichu", in other situation they would have to tag it to pikachu, which wouldn't be correct since it's a raichu mod and not a pikachu mod.

Popular is popular mods based on downloads and other stuff, and features is things I personally feature manually and in the future, the new moderators like AuroraM.

They were the same at launch, but right now, they are all pretty different, please note that the site looks way different for non-registered users than for registered ones.

Searching by all characters is something I will implement later, but will be done soon.

You can search by downloads and followers as seen here:

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Modulous is built for the future, that's why there are no hardcoded categories, because new categories could show up in the future, or be specific for smaller mods that aren't implemented as main games in the site.

For example, imagine that brawl- raichu got famous or something, people would tag it "Brawl_Minus" and "Raichu", in other situation they would have to tag it to pikachu, which wouldn't be correct since it's a raichu mod and not a pikachu mod.
That was not at all what I was saying here. I am not talking about a category for Pikachu or Mario or whatever, I was talking about browsing by simple categories (stages, characters, music, etc), but I am glad you are planning to do that soon. Hell, the point about Pichu is part of why I was saying I see little point in differentiating PM and Brawl in the Browse view like that. It's not as if PM and Brawl modding are terribly different - movesets are the only things that are going to be different.

I see that you've pointed out you can do some similar sorting actions as you would do in other sites, but it's hardly intuitive. You expect the user to understand and know what they're searching for, and just hopefully it'll work correctly. Searching by mods with at least x downloads is also less useful than sorting by count.

There was a lot of interest when you pitched your new site, but there are still fewer than 90 mods uploaded, and many of those were not uploaded by the authors. I believe part of this comes from when content creators voice a problem they have with the site, you ignore it or insist that the system in place is better, but it doesn't feel that way. I feel like there's no thought to intuitive use or organization when I don't have the basic options of Browse All, Browse by Category, or an Advanced Search.

I don't want you to think that I am posting to **** all over your site that you spent lots of time working on, I'm just voicing my problems with it. As of now, I have no incentive to post here over KC-MM, which feels more intuitive and already has the benefit of a very large forum, community, and vault of mods.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
That was not at all what I was saying here. I am not talking about a category for Pikachu or Mario or whatever, I was talking about browsing by simple categories (stages, characters, music, etc), but I am glad you are planning to do that soon. Hell, the point about Pichu is part of why I was saying I see little point in differentiating PM and Brawl in the Browse view like that. It's not as if PM and Brawl modding are terribly different - movesets are the only things that are going to be different.

I see that you've pointed out you can do some similar sorting actions as you would do in other sites, but it's hardly intuitive. You expect the user to understand and know what they're searching for, and just hopefully it'll work correctly. Searching by mods with at least x downloads is also less useful than sorting by count.

There was a lot of interest when you pitched your new site, but there are still fewer than 90 mods uploaded, and many of those were not uploaded by the authors. I believe part of this comes from when content creators voice a problem they have with the site, you ignore it or insist that the system in place is better, but it doesn't feel that way. I feel like there's no thought to intuitive use or organization when I don't have the basic options of Browse All, Browse by Category, or an Advanced Search.

I don't want you to think that I am posting to **** all over your site that you spent lots of time working on, I'm just voicing my problems with it. As of now, I have no incentive to post here over KC-MM, which feels more intuitive and already has the benefit of a very large forum, community, and vault of mods.
I could literally go ahead and change tags to categories, and you would understand what I mean, each tag is a category, booru's have been doing this for ages and it has worked very well, if you want to search by stages, search tag:stage

http://vinesauce.booru.org/index.php

You can get to any booru and see that categories are defined by users, in modulous i mix the best of both worlds, so if you want all the stages for PM you search game:projectM tag:Stage and you find all stages or you can search "peach's castle" and find mods by that name.

You know what the problem is? this is a vicious cicle, people don't want to upload mods because modulous is small, and modulous is small because people don't want to upload mods.

One thing I will do to make the site more intuitive is make searches without the tag: prefix look in tags too, so if you search ganondorf you can find mods that are tagged by ganondorf or contain it in the title/description, that way you will get a general search, and if you search tag: you will only find mods that match that tag.

I think that's the best way to deal with it.

Last edited:

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
You could also have it search for everything and ignore a tag.
Like "-ninten ness" for all ness mods besides ninten ones

I think the biggest thing is nobody wants to search by typing, they want a gui where they click boxes

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
You could also have it search for everything and ignore a tag.
Like "-ninten ness" for all ness mods besides ninten ones

I think the biggest thing is nobody wants to search by typing, they want a gui where they click boxes
That's what the new feature is
http://modulous.net/browse/ProjectM

I will add buttons to search all stages/characters in the future.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
It looks pretty good. I still think that you need to try and get more modders to migrate onto the website though.
Saying it easy, but it's actually hard to get modders to migrate to my site without using unfair tactics, I have been trying to achieve this for the last three months, actually I'm doing great progress, and everything is working better than I originally expected.

Juken

Smash Ace
I know I asked earlier, but would it be hard to add a dark skin option? Just something that makes the pure white parts dark grey like this and makes text white?

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
completely passed my mind, but a dark skin is definitely something you should implement.

looking at most websites frequently visited by your proposed demographic, this would probably be one visual choice you should have opened with.

from past experiences with communities i've managed i can say it's definitely a popular choice.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I know I asked earlier, but would it be hard to add a dark skin option? Just something that makes the pure white parts dark grey like this and makes text white?
completely passed my mind, but a dark skin is definitely something you should implement.

looking at most websites frequently visited by your proposed demographic, this would probably be one visual choice you should have opened with.

from past experiences with communities i've managed i can say it's definitely a popular choice.
That's something complex to implement, well not complex, but I don't know if I will be able to do it.

I'll try something.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice

Aaaaaaand done.

To enable it you just need to enable it in your profile!

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Today is a very important day, if you navigate to sf.modulous.net, you will see that modulous now supports ultra street fighter iv and street fighter x tekken, but don't worry, the main site is still located at modulous.net, just the home site has been changed to modulous.net/home, I know this is not smash related, but I just wanted to let you guys know that the street fighter site works indepdently from the smash site, and will not affect it in any way.

cheers

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
I just created a modulus account, but when i try to upload a mod, it gives me a loading bar that goes on forever. I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. a little help would be appreciated.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Question, why was iwantgames' HW Link uploaded on there by "RepostBot" or something similar?

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I just created a modulus account, but when i try to upload a mod, it gives me a loading bar that goes on forever. I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. a little help would be appreciated.
My B, fixed now.

Question, why was iwantgames' HW Link uploaded on there by "RepostBot" or something similar?
Because someone uploaded it, do you want it taken down?

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I doubt the guy knows whether or not everything uploaded was with or without permission.
I'm pretty sure if the guy goes by iwantgames on every website and someone with a name other than that uploads it it's not him.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
So uploading other peoples stuff is fine? Even without their permission? The hell is up with that?
As Juken said, I can't check/know when someone uploads other people's work, it's in the rules, don't act like it's not there, https://modulous.net/privacy

The mod has now been deleted.

I'm not magical and I can't check every mod that is uploaded, in fact, I didn't even know this mod existed.

I will delete everything uploaded by repostbot.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I was never for Modulous, specifically for this reason.

As Juken said, I can't check/know when someone uploads other people's work, it's in the rules, don't act like it's not there, https://modulous.net/privacy

The mod has now been deleted.

I'm not magical and I can't check every mod that is uploaded, in fact, I didn't even know this mod existed.

I will delete everything uploaded by repostbot.
So essentially, because you're not magical and can't check every mod that's uploaded, that rule doesn't apply. Nice

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I was never for Modulous, specifically for this reason.

So essentially, because you're not magical and can't check every mod that's uploaded, that rule doesn't apply. Nice
What? You didn't read the rules, this problem happens in every website that allows people to upload mods, you can't expect to have me check every single mod that's uploaded and contact everyone to make sure their mods are made by them.

And that's why takedowns exist, if you read the rules you will see you can send me an e-mail to have it taken down.

The rule is applied when I know about someone breaking it, that's like saying the police is incompetent because no one reported that a guy stole a jewel.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
What? You didn't read the rules, this problem happens in every website that allows people to upload mods, you can't expect to have me check every single mod that's uploaded and contact everyone to make sure their mods are made by them.
In the case of KCMM mods, they have to be approved by a moderator. So if anything is wrong or seems fishy, it can be taken down or addressed before it goes public.

that's like saying the police is incompetent because no one reported that a guy stole a jewel.
Replace the whole police force with a single policeman with a more than lenient uploading process and you'll see the problem.

AuroraM

Smash Rookie
In the case of KCMM mods, they have to be approved by a moderator. So if anything is wrong or seems fishy, it can be taken down or addressed before it goes public.

Replace the whole police force with a single policeman with a more than lenient uploading process and you'll see the problem.
Hello there, I'm who moderates Modulous, and this is a thing that we thought about before the release, but it's completely uneeded considering that other sites that allow users to share content/mods do not have such a thing, KerbalStuff, YouTube, Curse or Nexus.

We will take your suggestions into consideration, in the meantime, you can either help by contributing here or issue takedowns sending a message to the mail in the website.

Greetings

drogoth232

Smash Lord
To top it off, I remember it being a Featured Mod for quite a while when I went on. But that's because I thought IWG put it up himself. Looked at the author the other day and it definitely wasn't him.

Either you have a really hard time looking at obvious stuff, or you're lying through your teeth. One or the other. Regardless of which answer you pick, it's just showing more and more flaws.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
To top it off, I remember it being a Featured Mod for quite a while when I went on. But that's because I thought IWG put it up himself. Looked at the author the other day and it definitely wasn't him.

Either you have a really hard time looking at obvious stuff, or you're lying through your teeth. One or the other. Regardless of which answer you pick, it's just showing more and more flaws.
Again, stop blaming us for things that are not out fault, we delete mods as soon as we know about them being stolen.

YouTube and the Steam workshop have the same issue and you haven't answered to that, or maybe is it just that you hate Modulous for no reason?

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
YouTube and the Steam workshop have the same issue and you haven't answered to that, or maybe is it just that you hate Modulous for no reason?
Considering how large YT and Steam Workshop are, plagiarism is bound to happen. And when it's identified, it's definitely dealt with. Modulous isn't anywhere NEAR as large as YT and Steam Workshop. Hell, it's not even half the size of KCMM. Yet plagiarism is already happening.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Considering how large YT and Steam Workshop are, plagiarism is bound to happen. And when it's identified, it's definitely dealt with. Modulous isn't anywhere NEAR as large as YT and Steam Workshop. Hell, it's not even half the size of KCMM. Yet plagiarism is already happening.
It has happened and it has been dealth with, you are complaining about something that does not exist.

I won't answer to you anymore.

Last edited:

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Just one thing i need help with, what should the optimal height and width be for the header? i can't seem to get it right. the last few mods that were posted (classic dr.mario and red propeller luigi) are mine and you can see how crappy the pics are. help?

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
It has happened and it has been dealth with, you are complaining about something that does not exist.

I love the site and everything but this guy has legit concerns that need answers, as site owner I would think you would give a real answer and not dance around it. Here's a example,

The site gets blah blah numbers and and we do blah blah research to make sure it's not stolen. Such as, contacting the owner, asking the uploader, and looking at the users past uploads. Give us a legit answer like this. No bull****.

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
Hello there, I'm who moderates Modulous, and this is a thing that we thought about before the release, but it's completely uneeded considering that other sites that allow users to share content/mods do not have such a thing, KerbalStuff, YouTube, Curse or Nexus.

We will take your suggestions into consideration, in the meantime, you can either help by contributing here or issue takedowns sending a message to the mail in the website.

Greetings
A great example of a good and reasonable answer by one of your moderators.

drogoth232

Smash Lord

Until someone else does it and then you ignore it until someone else complains.

Nice attitude there. Have run running a site where everything is stolen.

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
Until someone else does it and then you ignore it until someone else complains.

Nice attitude there. Have run running a site where everything is stolen.
Whoa, calm down, let's not try to start things and be reasonable. Ok, cool.

Juken

Smash Ace
Until someone else does it and then you ignore it until someone else complains..
Is that not the purpose of a report function? I'm reading this whole situation and am confused about what the issue is. Someone uploaded something stolen, you reported it to a mod, it got removed. That's how it works on most modding sites.

The fact that there's a comment section unlike KCMM also helps because you can leave something saying it's stolen, and it'll get reported by those who see it..

Top Bottom