• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Modulous: A new Smash modding website (With Project M support)

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice

Reposting this here, with permission.
Modulous.net

A few weeks ago I started thinking about the idea of building my own modding website, I really didn't like brawl vault as an all in one place for brawl modding, so after a few days thinking I was able to modify the open source website KerbalStuff to suit Smash, the result is a modern looking modding website that has support for ALL Smash Brothers games (except WiiU, will add once that's hacked).
It also includes an API so you can build tools that use the website and a future mod manager that I'm currently working on.
I was originally hosting the server in a Hyper-V VM on my PC, but now it's running on an actual server.

This is how the webpage looks currently:

I hope you guys like it and that you post your mods here!

Cheers.​

Juken

Smash Ace
Looks decent, and Brawl Vault's slow loading is kind of annoying, so I hope it picks up.

How about a dark theme for the site sometime in the future? Just with the white parts being dark grey like this site. Or it could be like Gamebanana where they have unique backgrounds/colors depending on the game you choose.

Also the site could use some category searching and whatnot like stages, characters, etc. And then the sub categories like texture edits, moveset edits, etc. Just try to look at\ what good features there are on Brawl Vault, then build upon them.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Looks decent, and Brawl Vault's slow loading is kind of annoying, so I hope it picks up.

How about a dark theme for the site sometime in the future? Just with the white parts being dark grey like this site. Or it could be like Gamebanana where they have unique backgrounds/colors depending on the game you choose.

Also the site could use some category searching and whatnot like stages, characters, etc. And then the sub categories like texture edits, moveset edits, etc. Just try to look at\ what good features there are on Brawl Vault, then build upon them.
Category search is arriving soon.

Stevie Jayrep

Smash Cadet
Good job on the creation of this! For categories you could do something like Fighters/Stages/Menus/Audio/Misc (I don't know what would be missing from there), and subcategories could be like Fighters(Models, csps, movesets) Stages(what else would go here besides modded stages and items?!?!) Menus(css, menu overhauls, trophies) Audio(announcer, fighter sfx, menu sfx), then you can do whatever was untouched for misc.

Divemissile

Smash Apprentice
NNID
What_garbage
I like it. The main problem I had with Brawl Vault was how badly designed it was, and this fixes it.

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
I just really hope that the admins fix the tagging system because on brawlvault, I try and find just texture hacks(Recolors) and I see recolors... of models. Even though I stated I just wanted texture hacks.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I would like to announce an upvote-downvote system is going to be available soon, this affects the visbility of your mod and it's rank in searches.

Also I would like to say I'm still trying to sort out bugs with the mod packs and I'm going to be working on a better solution for BRSTM

NXero

Smash Apprentice
If I learned something from reddit is that the up/downvotes are toxic. You can upvote your work and downvote everything else to make it climb on the list.
That said, I don't really see the site taking off. Very few people know about it and even less people want to upload their mods. I tried accesing it yesterday and got the typical "bad gateway" error that's so common on KCMM. It's a shame...

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
If I learned something from reddit is that the up/downvotes are toxic. You can upvote your work and downvote everything else to make it climb on the list.
That said, I don't really see the site taking off. Very few people know about it and even less people want to upload their mods. I tried accesing it yesterday and got the typical "bad gateway" error that's so common on KCMM. It's a shame...
You got that error because I was fixing stuff.

The downvote/upvote system in my site only affects search results, popular mods that are downloaded a lot are still going to be in the popular list.

And of course, not many people know about the site, it's new and it's not really intelligent to think that it's going to be known day1.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Let's hope you're right then. I know that it's still new, but when a lot of mods get posted on BrawlVault and yours still doesn't have 20 in total, I don't see it. Sorry if I offended you or something.
A good start would be getting people to upload all the stuff they have on BV and not only one/a few. I tried to redirect some friends to the site, but they didn't like it, due to the lack of mods and the tag search system

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Let's hope you're right then. I know that it's still new, but when a lot of mods get posted on BrawlVault and yours still doesn't have 20 in total, I don't see it. Sorry if I offended you or something.
A good start would be getting people to upload all the stuff they have on BV and not only one/a few. I tried to redirect some friends to the site, but they didn't like it, due to the lack of mods and the tag search system
Obviously there is going to lack mods, it makes sense and it's not logical not to upload to the site for that reason, it's like complaining about a bucket no being full and then no one does anything about it, I have already talked to many modders, and some like Theytah already have uploaded them, because they see a future on it.

The tags search system is fine, it's exactly the same as BV's but much more rich.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I have just added a requested feature, you can now credit outside authors.

Juken

Smash Ace
How about instead of a cropped header image for mods, with the title on top of it, you have the title on its own line and then have an image gallery that's like the one on the Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U character pages? I don't see anything allowing for multiple screenshots, and this would be useful for presentation. Clicking on the image could have a larger version pop up or the full size open in a new tab.

I'm not saying to copy it 1 for 1, but just suggesting something basic and similar to that instead of the large single header image and text.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
How about instead of a cropped header image for mods, with the title on top of it, you have the title on its own line and then have an image gallery that's like the one on the Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U character pages? I don't see anything allowing for multiple screenshots, and this would be useful for presentation. Clicking on the image could have a larger version pop up or the full size open in a new tab.

I'm not saying to copy it 1 for 1, but just suggesting something basic and similar to that instead of the large single header image and text.
The reason why you need to host extra screenshots yourself and I only host the one on the top is because:
-A single pic can explain your mod pretty well
-To save space and allow for more mods to be uploaded

this might change in the future, it's really just an imposed limitation

Also konami code?

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
A new feature is going to available soon, this involves mod installation, any modder interested in testing it?

Juken

Smash Ace
Then unfortunately I cannot, since I manually put everything onto an SD with winimage

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Then unfortunately I cannot, since I manually put everything onto an SD with winimage
You simply need to specify a folder to act as an SD card and then copy the finished things to winimage.

Juken

Smash Ace
You simply need to specify a folder to act as an SD card and then copy the finished things to winimage.
Since nobody else seems to have stepped up, I'll give it a try.

Just give me the link to whatever you're talking about with some numbered instructions and I'll get on it.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I'm really hyped for the dolphin support. I used to mod things through my wii/sd but since I've moved to Dolphin things have been getting a whole lot more tedious. If this can help out there I can see it becoming extremely popular.
The dolphin integration isn't that good, initially it will just allow you to open dolphin, but in the future, you will be able to manage sd.raw files.

N00ne

Smash Rookie
I really like the design of the site, it looks like you put good effort into it. This is already much better than brawlvault. I hope the mod manager will have a feature similar to the Project M addon feature, since I like being able to switch which mods I'm using.

Juken

Smash Ace
Would there be a way to get the mod manager to inject mods into a netplay ISO? Like if you want to play netplay with your friends with you both having mods?

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Mod Manager demo video, the thing is still in the works, so expect a release soon.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I made a new video showing the automated mod installation from the website

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I'm excited for it. Maybe if i can get a computer that can run dolphin it'll be really useful.

Does it work for regular sd cards for wii builds?
Of course, that's all the normal version support, you create a folder which is your "SD" and then copy it to the e mulated sd in dolphin.

In the future, the program will move stuff to the dolphin SD.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I've been meaning to ask if it's going to automate CSPs and SSS screens.
Alright, let me explain: The mod manager runs code from inside a zip file which specifies what to do during install, like copy files, directories or add characters to the brawlEX install, all of

The Mod Manager uses BrawlLib, BrawlLib is basically what makes BrawlBox work, and gives full access over brawl file modification, which means, that you can edit files in any way you want.

What I have made, is an "easier" system, basically doing 200 lines of code in the background so the modder only has to write one, the best example of this is adding characters.

There won't be an "easy" way to automate it like there is for character installation, but you will be able to have full access to BrawlLib during installation.

Doing it won't be easy, but it will be definetly possible, I might add an easier way down the road.

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for such a detailed response!

I really like modulous for how much easier it is to search and browse. I wish that more modders would use it already so i could abandon brawl vault. They won't even let me register.

Top Bottom