• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Modulous: A new Smash modding website (With Project M support)

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
I have a couple of ideas to make this better.
1. Being able to comment without making another account.
2. Preview of the files included in a download.
3. Linking your account to Smashboards.
Besides those things it's looking pretty good so far!

Juken

Smash Ace
Would there be a way to get the mod manager to inject mods into a netplay ISO? Like if you want to play netplay with your friends with you both having mods?
Just re-read this and noticed that it was probably didn't make much sense.

I was basically saying "would it be possible to have this build an iso with your mods on it?"

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I have a couple of ideas to make this better.
1. Being able to comment without making another account.
2. Preview of the files included in a download.
3. Linking your account to Smashboards.
Besides those things it's looking pretty good so far!
The first one is something I might implement in the future, the second one is a no-no because of performance reasons, and the third one is also sort of existent at the moment
Just re-read this and noticed that it was probably didn't make much sense.

I was basically saying "would it be possible to have this build an iso with your mods on it?"
It would be possible to use a iso builder a sd path, they have similar structure.

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
A workaround hypothesis for the lack of content until more supporters join: add to your search brawl vault links, under a section labeled off-site resources.

Another workaround would be to allow users to add links to off-site mods to be tagged and searchable via the system

ZaTaisho

Smash Rookie
I downloaded The Modulous Mod Manager, went to the settings, set the path to where my SD card is located (E:\)...then what? I don't know what to do next. I have downloaded several zip files with texture skins and such from BrawlVault, but I don't know how to install them into the P:M that's located inside my SD card (E:\).
When I click on "Install mod from a ZIP file", I locate my zip file, and it does nothing.
When I click on "Install mod from website", it gives me an error.

I am wondering if you could possibly make a Tutorial on how to set it up. I've been reading the forums about this project of yours (which seems outstanding by the way), but I've got no dice on how to make it work.

PS: When I open the Mod Creation Tools, I don't quite understand what "Mod Root Folder" is nor do I know where to find the .lua file.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I downloaded The Modulous Mod Manager, went to the settings, set the path to where my SD card is located (E:\)...then what? I don't know what to do next. I have downloaded several zip files with texture skins and such from BrawlVault, but I don't know how to install them into the P:M that's located inside my SD card (E:\).
When I click on "Install mod from a ZIP file", I locate my zip file, and it does nothing.
When I click on "Install mod from website", it gives me an error.

I am wondering if you could possibly make a Tutorial on how to set it up. I've been reading the forums about this project of yours (which seems outstanding by the way), but I've got no dice on how to make it work.

PS: When I open the Mod Creation Tools, I don't quite understand what "Mod Root Folder" is nor do I know where to find the .lua file.
I really need to add a disclaimer, normal ZIPs won't, work, you either need to wait for mod creators to create zip files with a special structure or make your own, you can find how to do this in the mod manager documentation if you read http://modulous.net/mod_manager .

I will probably sepearate the mod creation tools from the manager, seeing that people can get confused.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Are these new PM mods on this new modding site compatible with the 3.6 beta of Project M?

ZaTaisho

Smash Rookie
I really need to add a disclaimer, normal ZIPs won't, work, you either need to wait for mod creators to create zip files with a special structure or make your own, you can find how to do this in the mod manager documentation if you read http://modulous.net/mod_manager .

I will probably sepearate the mod creation tools from the manager, seeing that people can get confused.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not knowing my stuff here, but that makes a lot more sense.

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
Heres what you do.
1. Go to Brawl Vault
2. Post a Thread about this.
3. Tell them to upload ALL the're stuff on Modulous.
4. Done.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Heres what you do.
1. Go to Brawl Vault
2. Post a Thread about this.
3. Tell them to upload ALL the're stuff on Modulous.
4. Done.
Because about 4-5 years of hacks can easily just be uploaded on a new site.

Yeah, that's really easy.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Because about 4-5 years of hacks can easily just be uploaded on a new site.

Yeah, that's really easy.
If everyone knew about it it would be easy, but people that aren't around or are unreachable and don't know about modulous obviously won't upload stuff.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
If everyone knew about it it would be easy, but people that aren't around or are unreachable and don't know about modulous obviously won't upload stuff.
The fact of the matter is that it's still a lot to host on another website for people to download mods that they can just get from the Vault anyway. I feel like Modulous should be a separate entity, perhaps with exclusive downloads. It's up to the uploaders to choose where to upload at the end of the day.

Plus a lot of the mods on the Vault are outdated anyway, no sense in reuploading them to a new website when a bunch aren't even accessible.

Dranakar

Smash Apprentice
I exclusively upload my modest remods to modulous. If there is no exclusive content, it will be hard to draw people away from habit on sleek looks itself.

You've done really well on the site! Great job!

Some constructive-critisism:
I do miss some categories though. Like stages/characters/sfx on BrawlVault. I know the tag function is there, but I thought I would mention it before there were several hundred mods already posted.

And the description is a hard to spot IMO, maybe make it stand out more? Or have a different BG color, so it doesn't blend in the with the add below?

And lastly; the preview picture is kind of hard to get right since it scales from screen to screen. And it streches the picture quite a bit. Something that looks good on my laptop doesn't look good on my desktop. I have no idea if this is easy to fix, but i thought I would mention it.

But that's just my thoughts, I might be wrong.

Keep up the good work :)

Juken

Smash Ace
All you do is start uploading mods to there and link to modulus pages for your mods instead of Brawl Vault. It will get more traffic and people will consider that for uploading.

The thing is that the layout needs to be made more organized/convenient and there needs to be more search functions and generally useful features that both are missed from the Vault and aren't on the Vault if you don't just want people to go back to the original site.

I find myself missing the top part with the submit and search button, and the tabs for each category that lets you click on a character or do "view all." That would be a great thing to see return, and it could even be expanded upon by having it so that one chooses the game first and it shows the characters for that game (like instead of it just having the Brawl roster for everything, you'd select Melee and then it'll show the Melee roster. Project M would show the PM roster instead of people like Roy and Mewtwo and any future characters simply going into the "other" section and being jumbled up with the random character PSAs).

The modulus mod manager page could also be turned into "modding tools" section, with it having important tools like Brawl Box, Stage Manager, Song Manager, etc and perhaps with a description for them.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
All you do is start uploading mods to there and link to modulus pages for your mods instead of Brawl Vault. It will get more traffic and people will consider that for uploading.

The thing is that the layout needs to be made more organized/convenient and there needs to be more search functions and generally useful features that both are missed from the Vault and aren't on the Vault if you don't just want people to go back to the original site.

I find myself missing the top part with the submit and search button, and the tabs for each category that lets you click on a character or do "view all." That would be a great thing to see return, and it could even be expanded upon by having it so that one chooses the game first and it shows the characters for that game (like instead of it just having the Brawl roster for everything, you'd select Melee and then it'll show the Melee roster. Project M would show the PM roster instead of people like Roy and Mewtwo and any future characters simply going into the "other" section and being jumbled up with the random character PSAs).

The modulus mod manager page could also be turned into "modding tools" section, with it having important tools like Brawl Box, Stage Manager, Song Manager, etc and perhaps with a description for them.
I will probably get to do the latest part, the problem is that because of the way KerbalStuff is coded it might take a while to do character selection, or I might as well not do it at all, because the tags system is superior, as it works with any mod, so if a new super-popular mod like P:M appears I won't need to code many other things to support it's characters.

I do have one thing in mind, and it's a system that adds a tag for your character and then you browse it using an exisitng list of characters.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
My b.
Ignore the image repeating in the middle, that's a bug caused by taking a screenshot of the whole page.

Last edited:

iwantgames

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Andre/Iwantgames
hi, i forgot to say sometin a long time ago butt

- Hyrule Warriors Link Pack
- Sonic Link DLC

unless u r going 2 watch 4 the updates I do, u might want 2 remove them. i actually update my things if someone points something out or if I uploaded something incomplete.

I apologize if this sounds rude, don't mean 4 it 2 b. Just in a rush 2 type this message

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
hi, i forgot to say sometin a long time ago butt

- Hyrule Warriors Link Pack
- Sonic Link DLC

unless u r going 2 watch 4 the updates I do, u might want 2 remove them. i actually update my things if someone points something out or if I uploaded something incomplete.

I apologize if this sounds rude, don't mean 4 it 2 b. Just in a rush 2 type this message
I don't understand what you mean, would you care to explain?

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
It's up now, you guys will find the search by character/stage functionality in the top bar.

Dranakar

Smash Apprentice
@ iwantgames iwantgames you can just update them yourself :) I don't think @ EIREXE EIREXE Has time to moderate all the mods on the site.
Sorry! didn't see you didn't upload it yourself!

And @ EIREXE EIREXE : Great job on the browsing thing :) Really nice!

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
The new roster search thing looks cool. Impressed by how quickly you got that done... edit: just noticed the browse button doesn't have an "all" for the stages or characters. not a must-have, but still useful.

I'd also like to suggest making the individual submissions when browsing/searching go down vertically similar to how Brawl Vault has it instead of them all being tiled with very little space for the name and description. The tiled look goes great with the main page because it's showcasing featured mods and not being used for quick browsing, but it's kind of annoying when browsing because the text cuts off on both the name and description and you can't just click the submission to download, as opposed to Brawl Vault, where you could click the name to download and the full description was in its own box with a scroll bar because each submission had its own row.

Comparison to what I mean.

vs

The individual rows just give the submissions more space overall than the large tiled images. The whole scroll function and pages without refreshing the entire site part is cool too, but Ihat's probably ripping way too much off the site.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Each mod has it's own personal page for a reason, mods can be very deep, and browsing the way it is done in Kerbalstuff and by extension, in modulous is both faster to load because of no need to load unecessary content and faster to browse because you don't need too much information to find out what a mod is about and if you are interested in it, keeping things simple is sometimes better than filling it with unnecesary information, take a look at nexus, you get a picture, and a short description and a title, that's all you need to know if you have interest in a mod.

Juken

Smash Ace
Each mod has it's own personal page for a reason, mods can be very deep, and browsing the way it is done in Kerbalstuff and by extension, in modulous is both faster to load because of no need to load unecessary content and faster to browse because you don't need too much information to find out what a mod is about and if you are interested in it, keeping things simple is sometimes better than filling it with unnecesary information, take a look at nexus, you get a picture, and a short description and a title, that's all you need to know if you have interest in a mod.

Having the info show on mouse over like that would be cool too. I was mainly concerned with everything being cut off.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Having the info show on mouse over like that would be cool too. I was mainly concerned with everything being cut off.
But that's exactly what modulous already shows, the main screenshot, the title, and a short description.

Last edited:

iwantgames

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Andre/Iwantgames
I don't understand what you mean, would you care to explain?
Hyrule warriors link - I recently replaced the models with a fixed hat t-posed version. I also plan on updating it with some more costumes from Hyrule Warriors(fierce deity link, postman link, and classic link). Because you uploaded it a while ago yours don't and won't have those things

Sonic link dlc - I made that a very long time ago, someone made a video of it and I saw in the comments that someone said that the model could use a bit work. so I decided to revamp him. currently working on that and that mod should be updated soon. Since you uploaded yours some time ago you won't have a better version of the mod, stuff that the original didn't have(specs, metal, and improved model work)

also i'm not saying that you should take it down or anything, I don't own the models. Just saying that you won't have up-to-date models is all.

@ iwantgames iwantgames you can just update them yourself :) I don't think @ EIREXE EIREXE Has time to moderate all the mods on the site.
Sorry! didn't see you didn't upload it yourself!
yeah, I no member. someone told me about it being there

Juken

Smash Ace
But that's exactly what modulous already shows, the main screenshot, the title, and a short description.
Oh, nice. I should've probably tried that before, but I've never used modding sites witht hat kind of feature. They were either basic ones like Gamebanana or compact with everything shown already like Brawl Vault. The "search all characters or stages thing" would be cool still, unless I've missed that as well because of being so dumb.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
I have fixed it, search queries will now search for full matches of tags instead of partials.

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
It still doesn't seem to work for many of the listed mods, like Sonic or Ganondorf for instance, who now have no results:

http://modulous.net/search?query=game:projectM tag:Sonic

http://modulous.net/search?query=game:projectM tag:Ganondorf

Also, searching "Pit" comes up with no results, even though a Pit was just uploaded today.
The pit on the main page doesn't come up for some reason because for some magical reason that's beyond my understanding the mod didn't upload and what you see in the page is just a broken mod entry, I will ask the author to upload his mod again.

I have also refined even more the tag search code, it should be fine now, I hope.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I just wanted to say that this seems much better organized and faster than the Vault, and I'm sure it'll only get better as time goes on and it becomes more used. Nice work with it.

Top Bottom