• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality Modified Controllers?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Even if it were completely fair to have these mods (which it isn't), it would lessen the already struggling accessibility of competitive Melee. In a theoretical universe where these mods are allowed, 5-10 years from now every decent player will have switched to heavily modded controllers. This will turn new players away and would serve as a reason not to start competitive Melee, because they would have to not only buy a GC controller and a copy of Melee (that has skyrocketed in price over the past few years) or play it free on Dolphin (where they would need to buy an adapter), they would have to pay a fairly sizable sum of money to get a controller that's properly altered, and research what mods to get/avoid. And when that controller breaks? They will need to spend another $60+ to get another good controller and have someone modify it. I don't know about you, but when I started looking into competitive Melee, I wouldn't have been able to spend that much money on anything (much less a competitive video game that I might be interested in). The main complaint I've heard about Melee is the skill ceiling and learning curve, but this would give people a MUCH more legitimate reason not to get into Melee.

Also, to address an earlier point of Sveet's, the only reason modding controllers in traditional fighting games was allowed pretty much instantly is because there was no standard aside from the arcade cabinet. I'm guessing nobody happened to have 50 Street Fighter cabinets lying around at the first big nationals, so people just started using their own arcade pads to plug into consoles, and some of the pads had different features than others.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Spak Spak a lot of people will get turned away, and a lot of people won't. Sadly, lots of players are looking for shortcuts nowadays, despite having 20XX, countless videos, numerous guides, etc.

No one anticipated this years ago. Currently the UFC is just now cracking down on PED's (performance enhancing drugs), after finding out that the problem had been running rampant for some time (They were much more lax than most other professional sports organizations and didn't enforce what little rules they had adequately). We are now seeing something similar with controller mods because we had no universal clear-cut rules. If someone does it, and no form of authority stands up to stop that person, others will follow suit, because whether they consciously realize it or not, everyone values fairness to some extent and doesn't want their opponent to have a competitive advantage over them in tournament. The next thing you know, almost everyone is doing it.

Last edited:

[BROF]

Smash Apprentice
Mods like shield drop notches, greased stick, weakened triggers, or springless triggers dont serve as a barrier of entry since theyre:
-extremely easy to do
-cost little to no money whatsoever
-offer things that are already available on normal controllers (obtained through luck and time wearing down the controller). If anything these mods put everybody on the most optimal equal playing field.

However mods like perfect wavedash/firefox notches are a whole different story. Although these take more time, theyre still cheap to do.
However the advantages they give are not naturally found in any kind of controller. From a fairness standpoint it doesnt seem as just only because theyre not found in natural controllers.

TakeANap

Smash Rookie
Just so you guys are clear on certain things the c-stick box actually differs from the normal control stick box, i remember reading something by kadano stating that it has a different spring in it because the c-stick obviously as well as conceptually doesnt under go as heavy use as the regular control stick box so if you do switch those boxes dont be surprised if it wears out faster.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Even if you find the holy grail, a controller that can shield drop and backdash with 119% consistency, you're at a disadvantage going into a tournament because people have controllers that DO THINGS FOR THEM. How you miss the point is beyond me.
An example of a macro would be something like pressing 1 button to get grounded JC shine, and pressing the button repeatedly would allow you to multishine. An example of turbo would be holding down the B button and getting frame perfect mashing for Luigi's downb. The controller is doing work for the player (pressing multiple buttons in a defined rhythm).

Kadano notches do not do work for the player; the player must move the control stick, and time all of their buttons and inputs properly. The notches act as a guide, yes, but they do not perform anything for the player.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
An example of a macro would be something like pressing 1 button to get grounded JC shine, and pressing the button repeatedly would allow you to multishine. An example of turbo would be holding down the B button and getting frame perfect mashing for Luigi's downb. The controller is doing work for the player (pressing multiple buttons in a defined rhythm).
An example of a number would be 5.

An example of a letter would be T.

This is fun!

On a serious note, are you for banning the c-stick? It is indeed a macro, and remember...

I dont know why a historical argument is valid in any way
Since the c-stick being a part of the 14+ year standard means nothing, in a perfect world, Should it be banned?

Kadano notches do not do work for the player; the player must move the control stick, and time all of their buttons and inputs properly. The notches act as a guide, yes, but they do not perform anything for the player.
Again, I don't know if you can't understand the consequences of the legality or if you're just changing the subject to troll me. Anyway, I'll try not repeat myself verbatim. Are homemade notches going to be JUST LIKE Kadano notches? NO! Not even all Kadano notches are exactly alike! What is to stop the player from making them deeper? An extremely small notch provides little more than tactile feedback, while a deep notch completely eliminates all accuracy necessary to put the stick in a very specific and competitively ideal spot. The result is a super-human success rate of hitting that angle. The notch DOES THINGS FOR THE PLAYER. The word "guide" isn't really accurate. It eliminates all mental effort involved in hitting an angle, as well as all necessary knowledge of the location of the angle. It eliminates any chance of slipping off the angle. I can't count how many times TOP PLAYERS have missed Firefox angles and SD'd. This would be eliminated for whichever angles the player chooses. So far you have only said "technically it's not a macro". Try something else.

Are you for coaching mid-game?

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Again, I don't know if you can't understand the consequences of the legality or if you're just changing the subject to troll me.
You repeatedly refuse to make any argument, or address my points. You keep making false accusations and sarcastic remarks. The closest thing to an argument you have made revolves around hyperbole.

The result is a super-human success rate of hitting that angle. The notch DOES THINGS FOR THE PLAYER. The word "guide" isn't really accurate. It eliminates all mental effort involved in hitting an angle, as well as all necessary knowledge of the location of the angle. It eliminates any chance of slipping off the angle.
If you refuse the term "guide" then what are you comparing it to? You keep saying it "does things for the player" and repeatedly I have to explain what doing things "for" the player actually means. Notches do not actually do any work. They act as a guide for the player during their motions on the controller.

"Super-human", "eliminates all mental effort and necessary knowledge", "eliminates any chance of slipping". These are all false and hyperbolic. It does not give you super human anything, it still takes mental effort and knowledge, and a human is still executing and thus can still fail to execute properly.

If you could make an argument that explained why guides are unfair or should be banned, without making hyperbolic remarks during the process, I would be inclined to change my position. I grow tired of explaining why your exaggerations are fantasy.

edit- examples

truth: It makes things easier
hyperbole: It makes these things impossible to fail

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You repeatedly refuse to make any argument, or address my points.
You are just saying saying that. I know you don't mean it. If you did, you'd be completely illiterate. Stuff like this gets us nowhere.

You keep making false accusations and sarcastic remarks.
Please point out my false accusations. If you're talking about me saying you have no experience with homemade deep notches, maybe you do, and just were absolutely horrible at making them or utilizing them. I initially said "maybe" you don't have any experience, and you ignored it (just like several of the points I've made), so I assumed you didn't have any. Judging by some of your comments, I couldn't help but conclude this was true. Had you initially claimed you had experience with them, I would've stated "I do as well", because I do. This seems natural.

The closest thing to an argument you have made revolves around hyperbole.
Lol, no, you are just ignoring facts.

If you refuse the term "guide" then what are you comparing it to?
I have already stated that your use of the term "training wheels" is more accurate, and explained why it still isn't a great example.

You keep saying it "does things for the player" and repeatedly I have to explain what doing things "for" the player actually means.
You don't understand then. My apologies, I truthfully didn't know my simple explanations were beyond your level of critical thinking and comprehension. I am not trying to be mean. I'm just seriously surprised and again, I'm sorry.

Notches do not actually do any work.
This (among other things) demonstrates your lack of understanding. Can you really not see that they KEEP THE STICK IN THE IDEAL SPOT, instead of the player doing so?

"Super-human", "eliminates all mental effort and necessary knowledge", "eliminates any chance of slipping". These are all false and hyperbolic.
You can achieve a success rate of hitting a specific angle that is higher than any human. Unless, when you go for a perfect wavedash you are accidentally hitting the upper half of the octagon gate or accidentally going almost straight down. I don't think really anyone misses a wavedash by THAT much. This is why I stated that the word "virtually" seems inaccurate. It is things like this that lead me to believe that you do not have any experience with homemade deep notches. It's like pouring oil into your engine without a funnel, and then using a funnel, and saying "the funnel doesn't do any work", and "the funnel does not prevent spillage". How does it not prevent slipping off the specific angle? You can apply pressure in several different angles (approximately a 90° span) and the stick stays in place. Show me where it gets hard to understand.

It does not give you super human anything, it still takes mental effort and knowledge, and a human is still executing and thus can still fail to execute properly.
I explained my use of the term "super-human" already. I also explained it again in this post. The rest of this is irrelevant, and I have already explained why. It's just like the fact that something doesn't have to eliminate 100% of all practice to be a substitute for practice. Deep notches make it so easy that anyone familiar with wavedashing could never miss the perfect angle. Again, I have already explained this.

If you could make an argument that explained why guides are unfair or should be banned, without making hyperbolic remarks during the process, I would be inclined to change my position. I grow tired of explaining why your exaggerations are fantasy.
Imagine a competition. Whoever changes the oil in a car the fastest without spilling any wins. Imagine Nintendo was the only company that made all the necessary parts to complete this. Imagine, for 14 years, the standard was there was no funnel for putting the oil back in the car (after you replace the filter and put the drain plug back in), and you had to use a cylindrical tube, similar to a paper towel roll. Imagine this is an accepted standard. Because the tube is not a funnel, skill is involved in terms of accuracy to not spill any oil when filling the engine back up. Then after 14 years, someone alters the tube by widening the upper end significantly, drastically reducing the amount of steady hands and accuracy needed to pour the pull back in without spilling any. You can also pour faster, since you know you won't spill any. Pouring the oil back into the engine is not the only aspect of the competition, so it is nowhere near a guaranteed win. But it is clearly an advantage for achieving a faster overall time, as it dumbs down the skill involved with replacing the oil.

Do you understand? If not, I won't waste any more time trying to explain. I'm just thoroughly surprised. I know I'm good at explaining things in a concise yet simple manner.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You know, a lot of big sports have their equipment customized when you get more competitive (table tennis, tennis, billiards, etc). This is just a variation of that
I disagree. I believe this is much more than customization.

Take Firefox angles for example. What part of executing a "mangle" or "m2k angle" requires the most skill?

A) pressing up

B) pressing B

C) pressing up + B

D) quickly and accurately placing the stick at the exact location of the angle you need, and keeping it there until the Firefox takes flight

Well, if you chose D, you're correct! It should be easy to see, as one could probably decipher, the maneuver isn't named after two of the greatest players of all time for their ability to hit up and B. A deep notch, however, makes all 4 choices very close to equal in difficulty. So it drastically dumbs down the one component of the maneuver that requires skill. This is only one example.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well what's easier to give your shots more power?
A) getting stronger
B) changing the pounds of pressure your racket has

B is definitely easier and perfectly legal.
That analogy doesn't really paint the picture we're looking for. Everyone knows the racket is adjustable. It's been that way for a long time. Tightening the strings is part of putting a racket together.

Onmitsu

Smash Apprentice
Albany/Leesburg area (yes, they're so small it's j
Yeah tightening strings is part of it, and you can change the tightness depending on how you want to play. However, people who are getting into it will just buy a stock racket with nothing special about it until they're ready for one fit for them. They have to get the basics and everything first before they spend a butt load on a customizable racket.

The same thought process can be used for controllers. No one will drop that money on a controller unless they actually plan on really playing. A customized controller is just as performance enhancing as a racket or paddle.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The same thought process can be used for controllers. No one will drop that money on a controller unless they actually plan on really playing. A customized controller is just as performance enhancing as a racket or paddle
True, any thought process can be used, but this one is flawed imo. Tightening strings doesn't significantly dumb down the amount of accuracy you need to accomplish something, it only gives you speed with a softer swing. The notch gives you an insane increase in accuracy, which ultimately leads to an increase in speed since you know you won't miss the angle/can't overshoot. You don't even have to know or remember where the spot is, you can just slide the stick along the gate until it snaps into place. Deep notches really make stick placement a braindead action, and being fast and accurate with the stick is the most important skill in the game.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Fortress | Sveet Fortress | Sveet

On a serious note, are you for banning the c-stick? It is indeed a macro, and remember...

"I don't see how a historical argument is valid in any way"
-sveet

Since the c-stick being a part of the 14+ year standard means nothing, in a perfect world, Should it be banned?
Are you for coaching mid-game?
Still waiting for your answers to these questions.

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
Why are you so angry about notches?? What did they do to you? It's not like somebody came to you and told you can't use them. Also bull crap about your controllers having a 1/4 chance of shield dropping. I've worked on about 30 controllers. Only 2 had good values on both sides. The rest need to be changed. Easy way to check is to walk on platform (walk and i say walk for a important reason), stop for a second, hold shield, angle it forward or backwards, pause, go to the notch, unpause. $5 says you have been doing buffered shield drops and shai drops most of this time.

I have made the crazy deep notches before. (i once took all of the tech skill out of shield dropping. as you now couldn't avoid it. People who had never played melee shield dropped on this controller). I still have that design in solidworks. (Should probably show kadano.) But it makes shallow wavedashes more difficult because to get deep notches i have to take area away from the bottom essentially. Also i don't know if you have ever worked on a controller but you actually don't have much wall to work with before you are screwed out a faceplate.

Have you actually played tennis?? You still have to learn how to play with you newer strings. Same thing holds true with notched controllers. Its makes getting the notches super easy but values in between now require more finesse as your stick is naturally guided toward the notch when moving especially with deep ones. You can't make each notch deep as there need to be wall guiding it into the hole otherwise the stick will just glide over.

See, I would accept your complaints about controller modding if all controllers were equal. However, they aren't. Some are way better than others. Some even have glitches that make back dashing easier. Some have softer button pads. Some make you reverse laser when you try to approaching laser. (btw these are all real issues i've had with my controllers) Should i just accept this and go wasted another $25 to go buy another one? My values are .70 and .7125 like most controllers. So because i didn't get lucky with my purchase I must struggle trying to shield drop while "Billy" over there is shield dropping like a mad man with a randomly good controller. Maybe I've hurt my index finger and pressing down the spring hurts so i took it out? Am i banned from your tourney? Even though all I'm essentially doing is holding down the trigger as i plug in my controller.

I think you are over-hyping how much these notches do. In the grand scheme of things it makes pretty much 3 techniques easier. Shield drops, Firefox angles, Wavedash lengths. (2 of these things are easy to do with enough practice anyway). If you think the only reason that this guy beat you was because he could do full length wavedashes and get that 18 degree angle to ledge then do I have some bad news for you. Shield drops are just something you are going to have to learn to work around. I mean it says something when most of the top 30 has a notched controller at least for shield drops (I don't think PPMD does)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Why are you so angry about notches?? What did they do to you? It's not like somebody came to you and told you can't use them. Also bull crap about your controllers having a 1/4 chance of shield dropping. I've worked on about 30 controllers. Only 2 had good values on both sides. The rest need to be changed. Easy way to check is to walk on platform (walk and i say walk for a important reason), stop for a second, hold shield, angle it forward or backwards, pause, go to the notch, unpause. $5 says you have been doing buffered shield drops and shai drops most of this time.

I have made the crazy deep notches before. (i once took all of the tech skill out of shield dropping. as you now couldn't avoid it. People who had never played melee shield dropped on this controller). I still have that design in solidworks. (Should probably show kadano.) But it makes shallow wavedashes more difficult because to get deep notches i have to take area away from the bottom essentially. Also i don't know if you have ever worked on a controller but you actually don't have much wall to work with before you are screwed out a faceplate.

Have you actually played tennis?? You still have to learn how to play with you newer strings. Same thing holds true with notched controllers. Its makes getting the notches super easy but values in between now require more finesse as your stick is naturally guided toward the notch when moving especially with deep ones. You can't make each notch deep as there need to be wall guiding it into the hole otherwise the stick will just glide over.

See, I would accept your complaints about controller modding if all controllers were equal. However, they aren't. Some are way better than others. Some even have glitches that make back dashing easier. Some have softer button pads. Some make you reverse laser when you try to approaching laser. (btw these are all real issues i've had with my controllers) Should i just accept this and go wasted another $25 to go buy another one? My values are .70 and .7125 like most controllers. So because i didn't get lucky with my purchase I must struggle trying to shield drop while "Billy" over there is shield dropping like a mad man with a randomly good controller. Maybe I've hurt my index finger and pressing down the spring hurts so i took it out? Am i banned from your tourney? Even though all I'm essentially doing is holding down the trigger as i plug in my controller.

I think you are over-hyping how much these notches do. In the grand scheme of things it makes pretty much 3 techniques easier. Shield drops, Firefox angles, Wavedash lengths. (2 of these things are easy to do with enough practice anyway). If you think the only reason that this guy beat you was because he could do full length wavedashes and get that 18 degree angle to ledge then do I have some bad news for you. Shield drops are just something you are going to have to learn to work around. I mean it says something when most of the top 30 has a notched controller at least for shield drops (I don't think PPMD does)
I've slaughtered all of your points in previous posts. I won't be responding in depth. Accuracy with the stick is the most important skill in the game, and deep notches dumb that skill down significantly. You don't know what an ASDI grab is, do you? Perfect wd angle is optimal for ASDI grabbing jabs, and tilts at low%. Just another tactic that gets easier. Just as all controllers aren't created equal, neither are all notches. Determining legality doesn't leave room for certain notches and not others. It's essentially all or nothing, and I don't think allowing any and all modifications to the STANDARD octagon gate preserves fairness in competition, as it includes one's ability to obtain a properly notched controller as a skill tested for in tournament. That, and the intent is to obviously make having accuracy with the control stick easier. Way to blindly attack me assuming I can't get around shield dropping, or that I blame a loss on my opponent's controller. It seems like you're the one who's mad.

You also have some horrible luck with controllers.

Last edited:

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
#1 I don't have horrible luck. Test your controllers. Out of 60 controllers that ****ING KADANO tested.... only 4 had natural notches on both sides. That's the same odds as me. The natural value that the corner goes to is .7000 or .7125 when you need .6750 +/- .0125 to shield drop. So very few controllers have an octagon that is wrong on both sides.

#2. Don't challenge me on game knowledge. Of course I know what ASDI down grab is and the normal corner notch is enough to get ASDI down grab. If you really need to dash and ASDI down the whole time just hold Cstick down if its that important to you. Like the normal corner notch is enough for pretty much everyone else.

#3. No, stick accuracy is not that important. As Sveet said we are not testing who can do 100 perfect wavedashes. We are testing your ability to win neutral, combo, and edgeguard better than your opponent. Stick accuracy helps with the punish part but honestly beside the pivot tilt and actual shield drop values notches. Most top players can hit these values relatively consistently. You were the one calling the notches unfair as if tech skill won you matches. If that was true KJH and Hax$ would be tied for first in the world. It doesn't there is so much more to melee than this. M2K has show many times to be able to +/- 18 degree angles without the notches.

#4. My personal controller is "modded" to have better back dashes. It has the glitch. This glitch is does not require me to do anything to my controller and is better than most other controllers. This is fair right? I mean.... i didn't change anything. By your logic I should be winning regionals as my controller is so good.

I have helped sell controllers to top players just for some of the mods done to them. These controllers don't make you better. They just make things you can already do more consistent. Nobody is going to get a shield drop controller and then become plup. They are just going to be able to start shield dropping. If you can get your hands on a modified controller try it for a bit. You will start to notice that it helps with very niche things, beside shield drops. (Max length wavedashes are honestly overrated by you.) If those niche things annoy you to the point of wanting the controller well than so be it.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
...and I'm the one who's mad.

You do realize that I have not been arguing against shield drop notches, right? Good Lord. I can't believe I have to keep repeating that. But while we're on the subject, controllers with slightly imperfect values still shield drop. Creating notches isn't a real necessity until the value is horrendously off (unless you really are not good at shield dropping whatsoever). I've tested many controllers over the past 12 years, I'm not here to brag about something so dumb. Again, I wasn't even talking about shield drop notches. Let me repeat that. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT SHIELD DROP NOTCHES.

No, stick accuracy is not that important.
BUT YOU JUST SAID....

Don't challenge me on game knowledge
LOL.

Look man, you just lack the logical comprehension and general understanding of the game to see what I'm saying. You're literally imagining I've said things that in reality I haven't. Accuracy with the stick NOT that important? Yeah, I'm not really trying to discuss anything with you. No offense kid. Enjoy the game, enjoy the forum. Nice meeting you.

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
I have an extensive knowledge of this game and have played many good players. That's all. You have no evidence to go against that statement so to say that I lack logical comprehension and general understanding is kinda a **** move. Good to know that you aren't against shield drop notches though.

LOL im the one with a lack of comprehension. I'm going to sum up shield dropping and the notches as quickly as possible and explain why you are wrong.

There are 80 values between neutral and full down on a control stick. Only 3 of those values will shield drop. Those 3 values are .6625 .6750 and .6875. However, most controllers have a corners that are between .7000 and .7125 as that is what a semi-perfect octagon would give you. (trust me. I have a true hatred and obsession for this game. the math works) If you controller is not modified or you did not get super lucky you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT SHIELD DROP USING THE NOTCH. While yes you can buffer shield drops out of dashes, aerials, and landings you cannot actually do a true shield drop. You might get lucky during the movement and stop on the value for a frame but that just means your hands are slow and you aren't buffering it perfectly out of shield stun anytime soon. That is why i told you to walk back and forth then wait half a second. It gets rid of all possible buffers. (Other than hold shield and tilt stick slight down and on frame 5-6 straight down should shield drop.) This means that 99% of the time. When you try to properly shield drop and counterattack out of no buffer.... you will spotdodge.

Now if you controller has one of the 3 values you just have to roll the stick to the notch and hold it there and it should shield drop. However, when rolling you fingers are not perfect. A very common thing is for the burst movement of you rolling down to cause the stick to read 1-2 values lower than the notch. So even with notches you will still get spotdodges. This is even worse for controllers with non modified notches.

Okay back to why notches are meh...

Notches don't make your stick more accurate. They make get certain values easier. (our stick has the same accuracy as before. it makes movements more accurate.) You still have to move the stick to that part. I get perfect wavedashes all the time (without notches) because I've practiced them so much. I've had a notched controller. It felt slightly easier. That is all. Again you are overstating the use of these notches. I myself don't like the notches much either. But they haven't done anything to give themselves an unfair advantage. Their controller can just access certain analog tech in game slightly easier than yours. You can learn to get these values yourself, without the notches. See, that is the difference between a notch controller and a corked bat. A corked bat makes winning easier, it lets swing faster and hit more balls as the bat is now lighter than it should be. A very concrete advantage over his competitors who were giving very concrete regulations. A notch controller however, only makes certain tech easier. And as i said before, tech skill doesn't win matches. Macro's?? Those could win matches. Button remaps. Not really but still a very grey area as what is stopping a remap from turning into a macro. Notches aren't doing anything for me. I still have do the analog work. It is just a little easier and more consistent now.

Yes, accuracy with the stick is important but not as important as you think. Everything in melee works in ranges. Rarely is something only just 1 or 2 analog values. Stick movement is more about speed and timing then it is about general accuracy. Yes full length wavedashes are nice. But slightly below full length is fine in most cases too.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
ACE you have the tendency to pretend you've won an argument you've lost, and act condescending while doing it. You should cease pretending like you're an expert on the game, nobody is fooled. If you treated people as your peers, you will have a better chance of convincing them.

Stick accuracy isn't that important. Everything physical about the game is irrelevant, its just basic skills you must learn before beginning to actually play the game. The physical component is far from the end-all-be-all of the game, and making it marginally easier does not reduce the complexity of the game.

Also, your point of view is antiquated and few players would stand behind your statements. Most top players have experimented with and approved of the smash box controller, which is far worse in terms of modifications and simplicity of inputs. In fact, theres no even a control stick, so stick accuracy is literally unimportant. This is the direction our community is trending, and one old man condescending to the new community isn't changing anyone's mind.

edit-

Again you are overstating the use of these notches. I myself don't like the notches much either. But they haven't done anything to give themselves an unfair advantage. Their controller can just access certain analog tech in game slightly easier than yours. You can learn to get these values yourself, without the notches. See, that is the difference between a notch controller and a corked bat. A corked bat makes winning easier, it lets swing faster and hit more balls as the bat is now lighter than it should be. A very concrete advantage over his competitors who were giving very concrete regulations. A notch controller however, only makes certain tech easier. And as i said before, tech skill doesn't win matches. Macro's?? Those could win matches. Button remaps. Not really but still a very grey area as what is stopping a remap from turning into a macro. Notches aren't doing anything for me. I still have do the analog work. It is just a little easier and more consistent now.
End of this ****ing thread.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Say what you want, sveet, you know you and the new guy haven't adequately adressed several of my points. As if a corked bat was the only example I provided. It seems you have fooled yourself.

Still laughing about having accuracy with the control stick being unimportant in competitive melee, and the continued long paragraphs about shield drop notches when I repeated numerous times that they weren't what i was talking about. Sorry if I'm slightly a smartass after someone attacks or assumes something wrong, inappropriate, and unwarranted about me. Shouldn't be a big issue unless your feelings are easily hurt.

Showing why my stance is wrong should be your next move (without mentioning shield drop notches). Remember, even Kadano felt iffy with hybrid gate, stating "if any of my kids should be banned, it is this one". Good luck.

:denzel:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Sorry if I'm slightly a smartass after someone attacks or assumes something wrong, inappropriate, and unwarranted about me. Shouldn't be a big issue unless your feelings are easily hurt.
Maybe you should realize that perpetuating the anger does nothing to solve the problem, or get your point of view across to your reader. Attacking your audience will not make them come to your side. Nobody here has attacked you for your beliefs, you are the one making condescending and off-topic remarks about skill level. Cut it out. If they do it first, ignore it and know you are actually winning the argument.

And no, "the new guy" (he has a tag bruh, why you have to insult?) has addressed everything fairly well. You are the one who is trying to brush off his entire logical argument by making emotional blabberings about skill.

I've slaughtered all of your points in previous posts. I won't be responding in depth. Accuracy with the stick is the most important skill in the game, and deep notches dumb that skill down significantly. You don't know what an ASDI grab is, do you?
Great opening remarks to your argument. 1) say you've already won, 2) admit you won't back-up anything you're about to say, 3) make an extremely bold assertion, 4) condescend and insult while changing the topic.

Determining legality doesn't leave room for certain notches and not others. It's essentially all or nothing, and I don't think allowing any and all modifications to the STANDARD octagon gate preserves fairness in competition, as it includes one's ability to obtain a properly notched controller as a skill tested for in tournament.
You put caps on "standard" in order to imply there is 1 octagon and every controller is the same. DreamSmasher simply points out the fact that every controller's gate is different. As for what skills are tested in tournament, ask M2K if having a good controller is already being tested. Ask any top player about what they need from a controller. Being able to notch, modify, or correct controllers is a much simpler solution compared to disallowing it and having only certain players get lucky with usable controllers. Especially with the new Smash4 controllers feeling so different from previous generations.

Look man, you just lack the logical comprehension and general understanding of the game to see what I'm saying. You're literally imagining I've said things that in reality I haven't. Accuracy with the stick NOT that important? Yeah, I'm not really trying to discuss anything with you.
Someone disagrees with your unproven assertion, and this is your response. This is childish. You have proven yourself unable to respond in any reasonable way, and yet you are still responding to this thread like you are "winning" this debate. Open your mind and gather different points of view, stop pretending there is a win condition.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Sveet, so he necrobumps a thread, stating I'm angry, stating I'm lying about my personal experiences with dozens of controllers, assumes I have never worked on a controller, bets $5 I don't know how to test whether or not a controller can shield drop, assumes I blame losses on my opponents controller, and asserts that I haven't learned how to get around shield drops, and YOU tell ME to cut it out. He obviously didn't read all my posts and is cherry picking stuff out of context. You just don't like me sveet, lmao. I can't help that. But if you want to play moderator, either do it to everyone, become a mod, or report my post and move along.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You say shield drop values are wide and they have to be "horrendously off" to not shield drop, he called you out on it. He proved with numbers and data, while you use exaggerated and non-specific terms. Which do you think is more persuasive?

I have no problem with you as a person. I have a problem with the way you handle yourself in discussion, pretending you are an expert on the subject while actually having little information correct. You have made your mind up before having all the facts and knowledge, and it shows when you fail to explain why your point of view has merits.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Send me a controller that isn't quite perfect and I'll shield drop with it consistently. I'll post a video. How would that be for persuasion?

You may not like some of my harmless remarks, but you neglect to play moderator with others, always jumping at the chance to try to correct me. As much as you've argued with me over the years (remember when you asserted that Marth was harder for Ganon than fox and sheik?), one can only assume it's more than just how I handle myself in discussion, especially since you ignore other users doing the same thing.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
When the devs developped the shield drop, they intended that slamming the stick right into the notch would trigger it. They made it only work on three values, which is reaaaaally small. I guess they used a messed up controller because the middle value is 0.6750, but most controllers tend to have a notch value of 0.7000. If you miss those three values you often spotdodge, or roll in some occasions. Of course with enough practice and experience you can get really good at it, but for beginners it's probably the hardest tech to learn.

I think this is the only legit octogonal gate modification, because it makes an intended mechanic actually work.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Send me a controller that isn't quite perfect and I'll shield drop with it consistently. I'll post a video. How would that be for persuasion?
That only further proves DreamSmasher's point. You aren't shield dropping using the notches.

You may not like some of my harmless remarks, but you neglect to play moderator with others, always jumping at the chance to try to correct me.
Well I expect someone who was a moderator on this site to know proper etiquette. And when I ignore the "harmless remarks", there is little substance to your argument, so I feel the need to further point out that.

As much as you've argued with me over the years (remember when you asserted that Marth was harder for Ganon than fox and sheik?), one can only assume it's more than just how I handle myself in discussion, especially since you ignore other users doing the same thing.
Haha yeah, I was a foolish Marth main once. I still see the merits to the argument that Marth wins the matchup, but I've spent more time and know better how rough Sheik and Fox really are for him. Though I don't think Fox is quite as bad as people make it seem, not nearly as hard as Falco is.

I hardly remember who I discuss with, because I try to keep the people out and focus on the ideas. Yes, I didn't always argue that way, but I'm not the person I was 5 years ago. I have no grudges with you, or anyone.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I don't think Fox is quite as bad as people make it seem, not nearly as hard as Falco is.
Omfg you're at it again. Falco isn't anything like fox.

And I don't see how I'm further proving his point. The better you are at shield dropping, the less necessity you have for a perfect controller. Do I really need data to back up that statement? But I'll reiterate AGAIN. I'm essentially ok with shield drop notches.

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
And I don't see how I'm further proving his point. The better you are at shield dropping, the less necessity you have for a perfect controller. Do I really need data to back up that statement? But I'll reiterate AGAIN. I'm essentially ok with shield drop notches.
You are not using the notch to shield drop, that was his entire point.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You are not using the notch to shield drop, that was his entire point.
But my point (well not really a point, but what I said) was that notches aren't really that necessary unless the Y value is significantly off. You insinuated this wasn't true, then I basically said I'll demonstrate with a video, and then you said I was proving the other guy's point, which is what I didn't understand, since I was the one originally talking about not using a notch.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You aren't using the notch ... we're talking about using notches.

I really dont understand what you're trying to bring to the discussion with this.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You aren't using the notch ... we're talking about using notches.

I really dont understand what you're trying to bring to the discussion with this.
I was just pointing out that I wasn't proving his point. Obviously if I'm talking about notches not being necessary in all situations, I AM talking about not using notches in that moment.

To summarize my points regarding hybrid gate (attack them at will):

The dead zone is part of the game, just like L-cancelling. There are good points to say things would be better if it was removed, but it's there. Holding the stick against a very specific point on the flat side of the gate (and especially finding this specific spot accurately and quickly when you're pushing your limits of reaction and speed) is considerably more difficult than holding the stick against a notch. This is because the notch funnels the stick in to a specific spot, and keeps it there (eliminating worries of shakey hands) with significantly less required accuracy. When accuracy is almost guaranteed, you can move the stick faster, as you know you if your accuracy is off some, the notch will make up for it. Knowledge of the perfect wavedash angle is no longer necessary with a notch, as you have, at a minimum, a physical entity providing tactile feedback which tells you exactly where this useful angle is, making it much easier to find. It reduces the focus necessary to find it, so more focus can be redirected elsewhere, which is important in melee as your abilities of extreme mental multitasking are constantly being tested. If the notch is deeper, it augments the aid you receive in achieving this angle. Instead of tactile feedback, you achieve the desired angle by applying pressure in a significantly wider span of angles, whereas if there was no notch, you would have to apply pressure to the stick in a very specific direction to achieve the angle, as there is little friction between the shaft of the control stick and the flat edge of the octagon gate. This makes a noticeable, noteable difference when you are pushing the absolute limits of your reaction time and speed constantly during a 3-6 minute match.

Techniques aided by hybrid gate:

Max distance wavedashing. Importance = High (character dependent)

Max distance ASDI grabbing/evading. Importance = Medium (character and matchup dependent)

Recovery angles for fox, falco, sheik, pikachu, zelda, mewtwo, pichu. Importance = Low/Medium (character dependent)

Angled fsmash/ftilts. Importance = Low (character dependent)

Optimal Survival and Combo DI angles. Importance = Low/Medium (situationally dependent)

Melee is like the Butterfly Effect. Getting that one extra grab, evading that one hit, getting that one recovery correct, etc. can change the outcome of games and sets. But we're not talking about achieving one desired input or maneuver, we're talking about receiving constant aid throughout every match, during stressful and mentally taxing situations. With something aiding your accuracy, you can be faster (normally there is a limit to one's speed without sacrificing accuracy, but if accuracy is less of an issue, your speed limit increases). You can also focus more on other aspects of the game (with a notch), since achieving very specific useful angles requires less focus.

The octagon-shaped gate was the standard for competition for 14 years. People were aware of the dead zone, and developed special skills to get around it through practice. Having to L-cancel seems like a nuisance to some, but we had to practice quite a bit so there was no unnecessary lag after our aerials. With a notch, sure, you still have to practice, but not nearly as much. The deeper the notch, the less practice is required (up until a point). So, players having notches nowadays can achieve more with less practice, utilizing outside aid in executing specific important technical maneuvers, due to the lack of a clear and concise rule backing the seemingly obvious standard. The fairness of this comes into question, and is debatable, as is the significance of the aid a player receives, which will vary with the depth of the notch, the character they play, the matchup they encounter, and their natural strengths and weaknesses as a player. I just don't feel that "innovation" is the correct word to describe this phenomenon, nor do I feel that writing off the effects of which as negligible is anywhere near correct.

Regarding legality, I think we can all agree that it would be impossible to allow one particular type or size of notch while banning another, despite the fact that deeper notches provide more aid in achieving highly specific important angles. We must recall that during the first few years of melee, no one had the foresight to see someone modifying one's controller to make max length wavedashing easier. And it begs the question: "Had they known, would they have created a rule against this?" (Side note: remember how great you felt back in the day when you finally mastered wavedashing; it wasn't nearly as common as it is today). One can only speculate. With the semi-recent surge in the popularity of shield dropping, the issue of controller inequality has surfaced to the mainstream. As innovators such as Kadano studied this issue and found ways to make controllers work the way in which they were intended (regarding shield dropping and also backdashing), at what point did we decide that any and all modifications to the standard octagon gate were acceptable? Was it simply because there was no clear cut rule against it? The intent behind shield drop notches is sensible. With other notches, I can't say that I agree. Every controller is capable of achieving the perfect wavedash angle (as well as other angles), whereas not every controller can shield drop well, as they were intended to do. I see a clear difference in the two. The intent is to make important angles much easier to achieve (I don't think people realized the other ways in which notches help at the time regarding aid in stressful and mentally taxing situations and increasing ones speed to accuracy focus ratio). If this wasn't the intent, why would the notches not be in specific locations corresponding with specific desired inputs used constantly throughout the game? If it wasn't so important, why would the desire to have one of these controllers be so high? I feel that the help received is significant, underestimated, and undervalued. I base my opinion off 12 years of playing this game, being PR'd in NC with Ganon and never drowning in pools at a national or regional. My skill level is irrelevant, just saying, I'm not just a smashboards junkie.

Edit: another issue regarding legality: if a notch is so small it can't be seen (and virtually impossible to enforce), how much is it helping?

Double Edit: Kadano admitted if any of his mods should be banned, it would be hybrid gate, and Blur stated on the Genesis 3 stream that most major TO's he spoke to agreed it should be banned.

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Edit: another issue regarding legality: if a notch is so small it can't be seen (and virtually impossible to enforce), how much is it helping?
Notches can be filed to be camouflaged in the shape of the gate. It might even be just a small bump. the easier one to hide are the notches. They can be seen as the surface isn't the same texture, or in the case of non-white controllers, the plastic loses a bit of its coloration. (mostly visible on black controllers) I don't think like pivot f-tilt notches would be useful if they were so small that they were invisible. I have no idea how to enforce this tho, and it might be one of the issues.

Other issues I found are that Kadano already offered his services, and if we banned some mods it would be sad for those who paid for lets say the 18° angle notches. Also, those mods are not available to everyone. Kadano offered his services and it got clogged, now for the vast majority of people the mods are unavailable. Sure some can learn how to do them but the ressources are scarce and it's actually pretty hard to learn - you need to have a bunch of spare controllers you are willing to ruin.

I personally know how to mod controller and I will start offering my services soon to my region. But I don't know if I want to start offering it to everyone, as it will be quite a huge task. I am also worried about the legality of some stuff. I think it's about time we discuss the legality, as pretty much everyone wants a modded controller and more people will start offering those services (I guess). Modded controllers are getting more common.

I'll go through Kadano's services and point out why I think the main mods should be legal or not:
- All the controller gate mods: I think this is simply broken, gives an insane advantage to the player, it makes pretty much all the techs much easier to perform. You can get perfect wavedashes, perfect angles, perfect pivot tilts, and some ice climbers stuff. I don't think any gate mods should be legal, with the exception of:

- Shield drop notches: ''When the devs developped the shield drop, they intended that slamming the stick right into the notch would trigger it. They made it only work on three values, which is reaaaaally small. I guess they used a messed up controller because the middle value is 0.6750, but most controllers tend to have a notch value of 0.7000. If you miss those three values you often spotdodge, or roll in some occasions. Of course with enough practice and experience you can get really good at it, but for beginners it's probably the hardest tech to learn.

I think this is the only legit octogonal gate modification, because it makes an intended mechanic actually work.''

- Spring removal in triggers: Actually hinders your performances lol.

- Constant trigger depression / Trigger point elevation: I'll be honest, for this one I'm not sure. It basically reduces the distance needed to press the digital press, by either lowering the trigger button or putting a rod that presses on the rubber. Kadano says it makes it easier to power shield, but I'm not that sure. For myself I have the second mod on my L trigger, as my controller had an issue that when pressing the trigger at an angle it wouldn't register the press as the trigger tube was too short to press it fully. I also noticed that it reduces the strain in my finger, which is a big plus, I'm all for saving hands.

- Analog slider disabling: I'm all for it, as some controller's analog sliders are hypersensible and lightshields to nothing, but some could argue that it's not the vanilla controls.

- Click resistance decreasing: Simply reduces the strain in the fingers. Let's go lol. It doesn't make anything easier, just saves hands.

- Spring resistance decreasing: Once again, saves hands from strain.

- Button remapping: Nope nope nope, I don't think this even needs debating.

Last edited:

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
In all seriousness how many times have you need to pivot ftilt??? Also i can do those 50% without the notches. You just empty pivot and hold slight forward. Its pretty much only uselful for sheik and samus, characters who both have incredible short dash dance and can crouch out of it very easily. Wait... its pretty good for Icies too.

I don't think the hybrid notches are completely fair either. But I'm not going to punish the people who have it before it was stated to be unfair. The hybrid notches get rid of the inherent problem in melee that +/- 18 degrees to every cardinal direction is pretty much useless. While the benefits aren't actually that great it is better controller than others. It will lead to less SD's and better wavedashes. And while both of those are more of the person's fault, a controller that makes it less likely seems bad for the future of melee. I fell like many scrubs will blame their lack of tech skill on their lack of notches. Making the barrier to entry to mid level melee much higher than it needs to be.

EDIT: Also spring removal isn't that bad. I only wavedash with R. Nothing else with it now. (i used to shield with R as well but I've recently switch to L for easier access to OoS things) So why go through the trouble of pressing down the spring each time i wavedash if i don't have to. I mean Armada and Amsa both trigger trick one of their triggers each time they plug IIRC.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
In all seriousness how many times have you need to pivot ftilt??? Also i can do those 50% without the notches. You just empty pivot and hold slight forward. Its pretty much only uselful for sheik and samus, characters who both have incredible short dash dance and can crouch out of it very easily. Wait... its pretty good for Icies too.
Not that pivot ftilt is a main topic of this thread, but i just wanted to say it is very good for Ganon against fast approaches. Definitely underused.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The dead zone is part of the game, just like L-cancelling. There are good points to say things would be better if it was removed, but it's there. Holding the stick against a very specific point on the flat side of the gate (and especially finding this specific spot accurately and quickly when you're pushing your limits of reaction and speed) is considerably more difficult than holding the stick against a notch. This is because the notch funnels the stick in to a specific spot, and keeps it there (eliminating worries of shakey hands) with significantly less required accuracy. When accuracy is almost guaranteed, you can move the stick faster, as you know you if your accuracy is off some, the notch will make up for it. Knowledge of the perfect wavedash angle is no longer necessary with a notch, as you have, at a minimum, a physical entity providing tactile feedback which tells you exactly where this useful angle is, making it much easier to find. It reduces the focus necessary to find it, so more focus can be redirected elsewhere, which is important in melee as your abilities of extreme mental multitasking are constantly being tested. If the notch is deeper, it augments the aid you receive in achieving this angle. Instead of tactile feedback, you achieve the desired angle by applying pressure in a significantly wider span of angles, whereas if there was no notch, you would have to apply pressure to the stick in a very specific direction to achieve the angle, as there is little friction between the shaft of the control stick and the flat edge of the octagon gate. This makes a noticeable, noteable difference when you are pushing the absolute limits of your reaction time and speed constantly during a 3-6 minute match.
Notches don't change much. In fact, I would consider them a trade-off. The notch snaps you into a specific angle, but if you want an angle near that, it will be more difficult to reach. In that regard, you are still rewarded for not modifying your controller.

I think the biggest benefit of allowing them is the increase to the smash economy. Smash Box has already spent a good amount of money creating and prototyping, and players around the world are interested in buying. This is a far greater modification than any notch, but there is also the business of selling notches and other mods for GCN controller users. One of the biggest hurdles for the community today is sponsors and money, so opening the doors for manufacturers to make custom Melee controllers would be very good.

And once again, I don't think these mods change anything. I distribute them to people in my area, and I still mop the floor with them when we play. It won't make you a better player, because melee is deep far beyond the physical restrictions.

The octagon-shaped gate was the standard for competition for 14 years.
This is an argument of tradition. Octagon shape was only the standard implicitly, and there wasn't the knowledge of the gate we have today (thanks mostly to Kadano). I have never seen it explicitly banned since the MLG 06 days when it was taboo to even cosmetically alter your controller.

Well actually, your controller does have tiny notches that you don't see. You don't notice it, but over time the gate and stick both wear in the places where they are used most. You favorite controller feels the best to you [in part] because it is worn in the places you want/expect it to. Go look at the inside of your control stick and you'll probably see the grooves.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Notches don't change much.
Lol, this basically asserts that my post was simply riddled with nonsense. Damn you're good. :denzel:

(That ACE charm...)

In fact, I would consider them a trade-off. The notch snaps you into a specific angle, but if you want an angle near that, it will be more difficult to reach. In that regard, you are still rewarded for not modifying your controller.
Why do you think so many people desire assistance in achieving the maximum wavedash angle? Would achieving this angle be so desired if it was truly a trade off? Don't you think being able to ASDI grab a fully spaced jab is generally more useful than being able to ASDI grab a semi-spaced jab? Don't you think maximum evasive distance (ASDI) comes in handy more often than only moving your character 3/4 of that distance? Don't you think maximum length wd OOS is generally more useful than a medium wd OOS (think about wd grab OOS and waveshines)? Would people desire this mod if it made melee more difficult?

I think the biggest benefit of allowing them is the increase to the smash economy. Smash Box has already spent a good amount of money creating and prototyping, and players around the world are interested in buying. This is a far greater modification than any notch, but there is also the business of selling notches and other mods for GCN controller users. One of the biggest hurdles for the community today is sponsors and money, so opening the doors for manufacturers to make custom Melee controllers would be very good.
I can see the advantages. I'm not familiar with the smash box controller. Does it provide an obvious advantage?

And once again, I don't think these mods change anything
There would be hardly any interest in modifying controllers if this was true.

I distribute them to people in my area, and I still mop the floor with them when we play.
You know this is irrelevant.

It won't make you a better player, because melee is deep far beyond the physical restrictions.
Is a player with more consistent tech skill in several areas of the game not better than an identical player with less consistent tech skill in the same areas?

This is an argument of tradition. Octagon shape was only the standard implicitly, and there wasn't the knowledge of the gate we have today (thanks mostly to Kadano). I have never seen it explicitly banned since the MLG 06 days when it was taboo to even cosmetically alter your controller.
The c-stick is a macro, but it's standard, or tradition, as you call it. You say that doesn't matter, yet every other type of macro is banned. Genesis 1 and 2 banned hybrid gate.

Well actually, your controller does have tiny notches that you don't see. You don't notice it, but over time the gate and stick both wear in the places where they are used most. You favorite controller feels the best to you [in part] because it is worn in the places you want/expect it to. Go look at the inside of your control stick and you'll probably see the grooves.
A smooth, extremely lightly sanded area isn't synonymous with a notch, which is an abrupt cut into the gate, similar to a hole that the stick "falls" into. It actually takes an absolute TON of hours of play to wear the octagon gate out. It is also near impossible to create anything similar to a purposefully made notch (regarding the advantage the player receives) through natural wear. Again, i also believe intent is an issue.

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
The smash box has macros. Those are not legal, I don't know how to handle this really. I'd rather stay with the GC controller.

Top Bottom