• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Modesto SSB-B/M Tournaments- Read page 176

MacD

Banned via Administration
ew, i thought onett was banned for reason of like waveshined to death, and like campers have some advantage and other reasons that i can't think of right now

MacD

welp. put me down, as far as i know, i am free, hopefully once shcool starts, i don't ahve anything that is giong to come up

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
I'm thinking we'll have about an hour or two of friendlies, plus some friendlies going on during the tournament. We'll start with doubles, and end with singles. We should have food there if anyone gets hungry, and there's no rule preventing you from bringing other things to do if you want to take a break from smash

MacD

i just don't get how you could do this at the libaray, aren't you supposed to be quite in one and stuff, and deosn't it close

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sign me up for this, i can help you host if you want. sounds like it'll be a good tournament.

do you happen to go to MJC? i'm an incoming freshman about to start the semester so i hope that weekend will be free for me.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ok, you're signed up

also, I would in fact like help, seeing as how I have no experience. Like, I'm not quiet sure what the counter pick stages and such are about...
normally this is how counter picking works:

first match of the set is random neutral stage:
Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Dreamland 64, and Yoshi Story.

stages available for counter picking could be any of the following, it's normally decided by the organizer which stages can be used:
Mute City, Pokefloats, DK 64, Brinstar, Corneria, Jungle Japes.... um, am i missing any? I'm not sure.

for teams, Fountain of Dreams is not allowed, Rainbow Cruise and Mushroom Kingdom 2 are.

the first stage is random unless agreed upon (some tournaments leave it at strictly random), second stage is chosen by the loser of the first match. the third stage is chosen by the loser of the second match. after a stage pick, the winner may change character, and then the loser may change character after the winner. this is as fair as it gets, :p

if you wanna used (Advanced) Dave's Stupid Rule... a stage may not be picked by the winner if he already won on that particular stage.

park5150

Smash Ace
normally this is how counter picking works:

first match of the set is random neutral stage:
Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Dreamland 64, and Yoshi Story.

stages available for counter picking could be any of the following, it's normally decided by the organizer which stages can be used:
Mute City, Pokefloats, DK 64, Brinstar, Corneria, Jungle Japes.... um, am i missing any? I'm not sure.

for teams, Fountain of Dreams is not allowed, Rainbow Cruise and Mushroom Kingdom 2 are.

the first stage is random unless agreed upon (some tournaments leave it at strictly random), second stage is chosen by the loser of the first match. the third stage is chosen by the loser of the second match. after a stage pick, the winner may change character, and then the loser may change character after the winner. this is as fair as it gets, :p

if you wanna used (Advanced) Dave's Stupid Rule... a stage may not be picked by the winner if he already won on that particular stage.
Sign me up...me and chok are hella good at running tournies...but he is better at drawing the bracket!!! chok's artistic skillz FTW

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
You're missing Battlefield for random, and Green Greens for counterpick. And yes, RC can be used for singles.

As for Mushroom Kingdom 2, that was an MLG rule. If you want to go by MLG you might as well put on Termina. MLG also banned Onett before it was common practice. I personally am opposed to all 3 of those stages being on. Again, as choknater said, it's ultimately up to the organizer; don't feel you have to go by MLG rules just because. MLG rules are practically defunct anyway, since Smash is not on the Pro Tour, and MLG sponsored events in 2007 have had rulesets that differed from the final iteration of them in the 2006 season.

Dave's Stupid Rule states that you cannot pick the stage you LAST won on. In a 2 of 3 set, this is equivalent to not picking any stage you won on. Generally the ACTUAL rule used in tourneys today is either A: The "advanced" DSR that choknater mentioned, or B: You can't play any stage twice period. These rules don't make a difference for the vast majority of matches, but they matter very much for the 3 of 5 sets in winner's/loser's finals.

Lunchbox

Smash Journeyman
Sign Me up for this aswell i cant wait to get hella loud in a place that is supposed to be the most quietest haha but anyways sign me up for this it sounds like it may have a great tournout and hopefully after this tourney ppl with start showin up to the biweeklies at parks house until andre is hopefully able to start running biweeklies at MJC

MacD

Sign Me up for this aswell i cant wait to get hella loud in a place that is supposed to be the most quietest haha but anyways sign me up for this it sounds like it may have a great tournout and hopefully after this tourney ppl with start showin up to the biweeklies at parks house until andre is hopefully able to start running biweeklies at MJC
oh dang, MJC biweeklies, wish youu much mcuh mcuh luck chok

and i agree with hyuga, no mushroom kingdom 2, nor termina, nor onette, are those stages can cuase problems, just look at that thread i showed, i agree with it and those banned stages

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Dreamland 64, and Yoshi Story
Counter picks: Mute City, DK 64, Brinstar, Corneria, and Battlefield
Doubles I'll ad RC to counter picks.

add park and lunchbox, check

MacD

Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Dreamland 64, and Yoshi Story
Counter picks: Mute City, DK 64, Brinstar, Corneria, and Battlefield
Doubles I'll ad RC to counter picks
um could you give me reasoning for

A. battlefield not being random
B. no jungle japes, do you not like it either, like pokefloats
C same thing for green greens, don't like it or what (don't really care for this, but just asking)
D. no RC in singles

darn, no pokefloats, too bad you hate it, probably wouldn't pick it anywasy but still, too bad, well no big deal i guess, lol, oh well

oh, that sounds semi-rude, don't take it that way, just wondering why

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
battlefield can be random I suppose, but I would like it as a counter pick as well

Jungle japes has the fast moving water, which devoids a lot of strategy if people die as soon as they touch the water most of the time.

green greens I like, but it's also risky with the dropping blocks and bombs, iunno how many times I've been trapped on that stage cause of a falling block, though I may decide to put it in, cause I really do like the stage.

RC in singles, I think it's more suitable for double cause it's a fixed camera and no matter how far apart people are they aren't small enough to make it difficult to see what you're doing, but as for singles there a places where it's simply much too spread out

i's understandable, I won't get defensive, no worries

MacD

all random are counter pick too you know

understandable about jungle and green, i haven't had much expience with either, but the water can add to stratigy also, like i was playing my friend samus and even if he got hit into water, he could come up the other side but hey, it's youur call, i don't really care that much

idk, i still kind of want to fight for RC in singles, but if i can't think of any reasons then why should you make it singles, and i don't need it too bad for myself, i still got mute city and posibly brinstar

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
normally it's favorable to stick with bread and butter stages. i also discourage the complex ones like brinstar, onett, etc. japes is fine with me, but you're right, falco and falcon **** there.

park and i allow the 6 neutrals + corneria, mute, and floats.

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
indeed, I think that stage hazards tend to be more of a problem than anything else. Cept I find Mute citty to be an exception for some reason. The only thing I don't like about that stage is the time where there's no ground, and only cause there's no ledge

park5150

Smash Ace
whats your munber mmike??? i may need it just in case. and i still have your tv...and its in good conditon.

park5150

Smash Ace
normally it's favorable to stick with bread and butter stages. i also discourage the complex ones like brinstar, onett, etc. japes is fine with me, but you're right, falco and falcon **** there.

park and i allow the 6 neutrals + corneria, mute, and floats.
yeah, we do...lol

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
actually, i should post it here anyway in case I'm not on when people are around and need info or to register

(209) 342-7205

you can use the tv as long as you need to if you like, I'm trying to sell it actually.

same goes or the vcr. Speaking of which, did you guys record any of the matches?

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
ah, well, I didn't know whether it did or not, I do have one that does, I'm probably not going to use it either, I just used it for connecting my game to that tv

Thanks for the number *puts in my phone*

Lunchbox

Smash Journeyman
Hey mike so how many ppl do you have registered and i believe onett is a really good stage and shouldnt be banned cuz only 2 ppl dont like sure fox and falco **** there and that is y its a counter pick if i was doin it i would have Onett as a counter pick but i dont know bout jungle japes that stage is super gay lol

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
stages with solid floors tend to be a bad idea in play with good players me thinks, wave shining is one of the big problems, and easy ko's under 25% are not fun.

um, like, 6 or 7, the registration only opened today and I haven't started advertising around town

jmic

Smash Ace
Register me please! :)

I can bring a cube.

Jungle Japes should be allowed. I can play some tricks there. ;) I also think Green Greens and DK64 should be up too. Brinstar should a counterpick as well, as it sometimes nullifies strong spikes.

Just my two cents.

MacD

once you decide on all the stages and everthing, would you put those up, i need to decide on what i am giong to do about counter picks and banning, and is there going to be banning

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Oh, yeah I forgot to post general rules about stage bans.

Each player gets one stage ban. Some tourneys only allow the banning of stages that are NOT on random, and some allow to ban anything (I personally prefer the latter).

Stage bans are generally supposed to be announced AFTER character selection. Also generally the higher seed (i.e. the lower ranked player) must make the first ban. Due to the general informalness of most tourneys though, people just kind of do whatever as far as how character select / stage bans go. Which is fine, but it's nice to have a solid rule in place just in case someone wants more order.

MLG last year also used the concept of a "random reset" where you could NOT ban randoms, BUT if a stage came up on random that you didn't like, you could elect to reset (only once each set for each player), and have the game choose another random. If the same stage came up twice, too bad. I personally like random reset, but many do not, and also many people will not take the time to understand the rule.

Of course again, it's all up to the TO, but I just wanted to let you know what other tourneys do.

Top Bottom