• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Pro Circuit Picks Up Brawl

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I'm very curious to see how this event will affect the current stand on the Meta Knight ban issue.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Yes, yes, why did they decide to include Smash this year? If we can find that out then maybe the MK ban debate can move forward.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Yes, yes, why did they decide to include Smash this year? If we can find that out then maybe the MK ban debate can move forward.
I can see it now. Grand finals. who scrooges best wins :chuckle:

smasher01

Smash Ace
I can smell it now its going to be way more competitive, that means we are going to have to practice much harder to keep up OMG lol

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
There are online qualifiers.

With online, there isn't even the slightest reason to feel uncomfortable while planking.

I love this gif

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Online qualifiers? Does that mean that we don't have to actually be at the location? Cuz I don't wanna make the trip for my small small chance of making it, but it would be a fun experience to try.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
MK ban issue is going to be a big discussion. Online would be easier for alot of people because the trip of going and making it is slim for alot, lets just hope us MK's can plank and be successful. lol@planking

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This is a big deal.

We plank forever and win? The pro-bans will be all over us and that might be the end of the legal MK.
We don't plank? We end up losing at MLG but keep MK legal for that much longer.

This is a lose/lose with-a-hint-of-win-in-each situation.

Now if we plank and end up losing, then IDK whats going to happen....

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I think if we plank and lose then people will see that it's not completely broken anymore, at least in the eyes of the public. Uneducated guess, I'd say. Or something like that. My reasoning isn't concrete but I know what I'm saying.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Planking is a stupid way for the metagame to evolve and I think it should be banned.
same goes for scrooging and stalling
inb4 it's hard to tell if they are intentionally doing ______

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to tell if people are intentionally stalling owait :chuckle:

But in all seriousness, it's more of a matter of regulation and logistics. Are people going to scrutinize every match to see if people are planking? There just aren't enough regulators around to moderate every match, especially at large tournaments. I've seen this firsthand, as I always saw different kinds of stalling and cheating when I played in Pokemon TCG tournies. People get away with it, especially if the judges are away or busy. Brawl tournies (as far as I know) don't have people wandering around and looking for people who break rules, and even if there are those kinds of people there would never be nearly enough of them to make sure nobody is planking. Who wants to sit through a tourney set between two first-time-tourniers playing a horrible match? There is no effective way of moderating, as even if a person calls out another for breaking rules there isn't a surefire way to know who's right (you could end game early and save the replay, but that would take even more time).

To summarize, there is no way to regulate planking or scrooging effectively, as there are not enough people willing to go around catching cheaters.

I go to my first tourney in a month, and if I lose because an MK is planking the whole match, I will wholeheartedly join the MK Ban movement (after ditching MK myself).

Kaffei

Smash Hero
It's hard to tell if people are intentionally stalling owait :chuckle:

But in all seriousness, it's more of a matter of regulation and logistics. Are people going to scrutinize every match to see if people are planking? There just aren't enough regulators around to moderate every match, especially at large tournaments. I've seen this firsthand, as I always saw different kinds of stalling and cheating when I played in Pokemon TCG tournies. People get away with it, especially if the judges are away or busy. Brawl tournies (as far as I know) don't have people wandering around and looking for people who break rules, and even if there are those kinds of people there would never be nearly enough of them to make sure nobody is planking. Who wants to sit through a tourney set between two first-time-tourniers playing a horrible match? There is no effective way of moderating, as even if a person calls out another for breaking rules there isn't a surefire way to know who's right (you could end game early and save the replay, but that would take even more time).

To summarize, there is no way to regulate planking or scrooging effectively, as there are not enough people willing to go around catching cheaters.

I go to my first tourney in a month, and if I lose because an MK is planking the whole match, I will wholeheartedly join the MK Ban movement (after ditching MK myself).
For planking I think a ledge grab rule would suffice.
For scrooging I think we could look at the Aerial Time at the end of the game and see if the MK has a significantly high aerial time to determine if he/she is scrooging intentionally but they would have to decide what "too high of an aerial time is" first which is a problem

Top Bottom