• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG and Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
It was ok, I guess. If by ok I mean we saw 1% of matches live and the rest of the matches came up weeks or months after the event. Still waiting for championship matches from vegas. If they don't come out by next week I'll never see them, because my subscription runs out, and there's no point in buying another subscription for the coming season when smash won't even be featured.

So basically I, and everyone else with VOD, will experience one of two things:

1. We get the videos up soon and have literally a couple days to watch them. (Because we're not supposed to download them and I'll assume we won't due to that fact)

2. We won't see them ever, unless we shell out another 20 dollars for maybe 10 matches at most, and they were the last championships for smash ever held at MLG.

In about a month, I have a feeling you're going to regret being so harsh :) Just wait and trust me.

Also, vegas videos aside, we did the best we could with the broadcasts. Considering the disparity of our customers in terms of game preference (literally 99% of VoD subscribers were Halo2 fans), I feel like we did the best we could. Could we have done better? Of course. However, to say it was overpriced is ridiculous. $20 for an annual subscription for a service that never comes close to seeing a profit is just a ridiculous statement.

MikeMan445

Smash Journeyman
WTF VoD was the best...I guess since I'm part of the working class I could appreciate certain things.

MLG has done alot for smash...its usually the ppl that been around for quite sometime that truly appreciates MLG more so than ppl that just came into the picture, and always beg for free sh**.

MLG VoD by far have the best matches that you'll probably ever view online in comparison to just searching youtube or Google for random outdated matches of pros...you could just view the VoD matches and see latest vids of the best players ****** the hell outta each other w/ new strategies and techniques to showcase+the on point commentary given by smashers like Wife, JV, M3D, Alpha, Omni, Drephen, Dave ^_^, and more intensified and even made the matches seem more interesting. (Random thought: Interestified...ROFL NEW WORD!!!)

MLG IMO made smash more than just another GameCube game...it made it...(lack of inspiration to carry on any further hope you got the point kthxbai ^_^)
I'm not saying MLG didn't do a lot for smash. It has done a tremendous amount for the community. I'm saying I'm slightly bitter that I don't even get to see the championship matches from the last finals ever for smash.

And wtf was with that random comment about how long I've been in the community? What does that have to do with anything? Oh no, so i've only been going to tournaments for two years. Heaven forbid. That's irrelevant.

The commentary was great, the matches were great, MLG on the whole is awesome. I'm saying the service was terrible. The concepts are not mutually exclusive. Capiche?

MikeMan445

Smash Journeyman
In about a month, I have a feeling you're going to regret being so harsh :) Just wait and trust me.

Also, vegas videos aside, we did the best we could with the broadcasts. Considering the disparity of our customers in terms of game preference (literally 99% of VoD subscribers were Halo2 fans), I feel like we did the best we could. Could we have done better? Of course. However, to say it was overpriced is ridiculous. $20 for an annual subscription for a service that never comes close to seeing a profit is just a ridiculous statement.

That's great news, thanks for the update. :)

I never said it was overpriced, that was some other person.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
I'm not saying MLG didn't do a lot for smash. It has done a tremendous amount for the community. I'm saying I'm slightly bitter that I don't even get to see the championship matches from the last finals ever for smash.

And wtf was with that random comment about how long I've been in the community? What does that have to do with anything? Oh no, so i've only been going to tournaments for two years. Heaven forbid. That's irrelevant.

The commentary was great, the matches were great, MLG on the whole is awesome. I'm saying the service was terrible. The concepts are not mutually exclusive. Capiche?
Again, the championship videos...we agree with you and unfortunately we are doing everything we can to make sure we get the videos up. Sadly, we are not in possession of them right now...

Keep your hopes up and stay tuned to MLGpro in the next few weeks concerning our content plans related to gaming video.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Bach was, and my guess is he still is. He was asked to hand them back to MLG by Synide a few weeks back though. He's been really busy with other work which has been part of the problem.

And Nemi, you shouldn't talk about things you obviously have no concept of.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
I don't mind waiting as long as it takes for the VoD vids, but will my 2006 license still work with them when they finally come out?

HipHopSpam

Smash Apprentice
I for one take a very different stance on MLG VoD...I think purchasing VoD was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. I can remember about two straight monthes when 90% of the vids didn't work. When I tried to get help through the tech support, the people working in the system couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Aside from that two month stretch, VoD was still fairly shotty and worked every now and then. However, my biggest problem with VoD was the ratio of Halo 2 vids to Smash. Every event has several dozen Halo 2 vids and around 5-10 smash vids....Maybe it's the fact that I'm a smash fan, but cmon....

Kais

Smash Ace
Wow, then...when will news on how to get sponsored be released? Not only would this help in securing venues, but it'd attract a lot more players I can imagine.

thatsmybutta

Smash Journeyman
i posted a topic like this a couple months ago because i heard this rumor from an MLG rep and it got closed. wtf omni! :p

AnujSuper9

Smash Lord
I along with many others that I know, will do our best to support MLG in this transitional period. :)

I am of course also very disappointed but I'll be the first to say that I look forward to seeing Brawl appear in 2008!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
OMG ANUJ no ****ing way.

i demand an avatar match with you.

are you coming to cataclysm? If so, avatar match, loser switches their avatar.

this is unacceptable

AnujSuper9

Smash Lord
I had the avatar first.
And no I won't be at Cataclysm.

It's Mumbo Jumbo, he's an INDIAN SHAMAN.
Are YOU an Indian Shaman?

Drephen

Smash Master
god i miss anuj

yeah plairnkk, i once caught anuj prasing to his Indian gods so his pet elephant who ran away would come back

and with that i think a song is in order

ahem *coughs*

Make way for Prince Ali
Say hey! It's Prince Ali

Hey! Clear the way in the old Bazaar
Hey you!
Let us through!
It's a bright new star!
Oh Come!
Be the first on your block to meet his eye!

Make way!
Here he comes!
Ring bells! Bang the drums!
Are you gonna love this guy!

Prince Ali! Fabulous he!
Ali Ababwa
Genuflect, show some respect
Down on one knee!
Now, try your best to stay calm
Brush up your sunday salaam
The come and meet his spectacular corterie

Prince Ali!
Mighty is he!
Ali Ababwa
Strong as ten regular men, definitely!
He faced the galloping hordes
A hundred bad guys with swords
Who sent those goons to their lords?
Why, Prince Ali

He's got seventy-five golden camels
(don't they look lovely june)
Purple peacocks
He's got fifty-three
(fabulous harry, I love the feathers)
When it comes to exotic-type mammals
Has he got a zoo?
I'm telling you, it's a world-class menagerie

Prince Ali! Handsome is he, Ali Ababwa
That physique! How can I speak
Weak at the knee
Well, get on out in that square
Adjust your vein and prepare
To gawk and gravel and stare at Prince Ali!

There's no question this Ali's alluring
Never ordinary, never boring
Everything about the man just plain impresses
He's a winner, he's a whiz, a wonder!
He's about to pull my heart asunder!
And I absolutely love the way he dresses!

He's got ninety-five white Persian monkeys
(He's got the monkeys, let's see the monkeys)
And to view them he charges no fee
(He's generous, so generous)
He's got slaves, he's got servants and flunkies
(Proud to work for him)
They bow to his whim love serving him
They're just lousy with loyalty to Ali! Prince Ali!

Prince Ali!
Amorous he! Ali Ababwa
Heard your princess was a sight lovely to see
And that, good people, is why he got dolled up and dropped by
With sixty elephants, llamas galore
With his bears and lions
A brass band and more
With his forty fakirs, his cooks, his bakers
His birds that warble on key
Make way for prince Ali!

AnujSuper9

Smash Lord
That's my favorite song from Aladdin. What an excellent ARABIC adventure that was.
Anyway, I wonder if you memorized that whole song just to alienate me...

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Ship had first avatar matches (October 2003, KishSquared vs. David Kirk), but do you know the no-avatar match?

Christened by KishCubed, he challenged anyone to a no-avatar match at Flame of Bowser 2. Loser would never be allowed an avatar ever again. Darkrain stepped it up and accepted the challenge at the tournament. Cubed prevailed in the set, but was later disappointed to find out that Darkrain had never used an avatar to begin with. His goal was to eliminate all the avatars from smashboards, alas, he quickly forgot about it.

Ah, fond memories...

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
No avatar ever again, **** those are some high stakes.

chz1 permanent avatar match?

Nemi

Smash Cadet
Bach was, and my guess is he still is. He was asked to hand them back to MLG by Synide a few weeks back though. He's been really busy with other work which has been part of the problem.

And Nemi, you shouldn't talk about things you obviously have no concept of.

yeah, i guess i'm biased, being on dial-up...
MLG was obviously a good thing, tho it's probably not just me who doesn't like VoD.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Almost all of the people that did pay for VoD were paying to see Halo matches, as Clap said. And even with that being said, they still put on as much smash as they could without alienating the 99% of their audience that wanted to see Halo the entire time. You generally try to make a service cater towards the majority, not the 1% minority.

Almost all of the people that did pay for VoD were paying to see Halo matches, as Clap said. And even with that being said, they still put on as much smash as they could without alienating the 99% of their audience that wanted to see Halo the entire time. You generally try to make a service cater towards the majority, not the 1% minority.
why couldnt they have made seperate "channels" for each mlg game. bach could have ran the "smash channel" and everyoen who wanted the smash channel could have paid for it seperately. same with halo. it would have been more difficult for bach, but feasible i think

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
why couldnt they have made seperate "channels" for each mlg game. bach could have ran the "smash channel" and everyoen who wanted the smash channel could have paid for it seperately. same with halo. it would have been more difficult for bach, but feasible i think
Even though Bach has already had trouble managing things the way they are now and that's a large part of why the championships aren't out yet? Yeah, increasing his work load would have worked out great.

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
You're not listening. The vast majority of VoD subscribers wanted to see Halo. To let Bach just do smash, and someone else do Halo is still running into the same problem: giving smash the same amount of resources when Halo is clearly in higher demand.

However, I do agree with Helios. All of that "I've been busy with my 19834798374 other jobs is BS. You took the job, you should be able to do the work. That's what you're being paid for.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
You're not listening. The vast majority of VoD subscribers wanted to see Halo. To let Bach just do smash, and someone else do Halo is still running into the same problem: giving smash the same amount of resources when Halo is clearly in higher demand.

However, I do agree with Helios. All of that "I've been busy with my 19834798374 other jobs is BS. You took the job, you should be able to do the work. That's what you're being paid for.
At this point we just want the videos back so we can encode them ourselves. Email, phone and forum postings do not seem to work to get his attention at this point......

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
At this point we just want the videos back so we can encode them ourselves. Email, phone and forum postings do not seem to work to get his attention at this point......
I bet. I was just speaking generally, since for a long time I had been one of those "get off his back" people, but this is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom