• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Anaheim - Everything YOU Need to Know! Vote for Winner!

Who will win MLG Anaheim?

• EMP | Mew2King

Votes: 51 13.2%
  • EG | PPMD

Votes: 109 28.3%
  • Leffen

Votes: 17 4.4%
  • SS | Soft

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • VGBC | Hax

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • LLL | Remen

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • CRS | Hungrybox

Votes: 19 4.9%
  • C9 | Mango

Votes: 69 17.9%
  • EMP | Armada

Votes: 67 17.4%
  • Westballz

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • VGBC | Amsa

Votes: 24 6.2%
  • CT | ZeRo

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Open Bracket Player

Votes: 12 3.1%

• Total voters

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Major League Gaming's Anaheim event is this weekend, starting Friday, June 20th. Leading up to the event, MLG has released a number of teaser videos and information, including the schedule of who will play on Friday. The 12 already qualified players will all duke it out on MLG.TV/SMASH. The production is certain to be the best seen so far in 2014. You can get many details on the MLG event page - or just check below for the rundown! Smashers will be competing for a $15,000 prize pool that pays out to the top 8. There are 320 players registered for the tournament, including the 12 qualified players, which makes MLG Anaheim 2014 one of the top 5 largest Smash Melee tournaments ever.

MLG Crew Battle Teaser

MLG Smash Event Teaser

Quick Links
Prize Pool
1st = $5,000
2nd = $3,000
3rd = $2,250
4th = $1,750
5th = $1,000
5th = $1,000
7th = $500
7th = $500

Stage List
Starter/Neutral Stages
Battlefield
Dream Land
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi’s Story

Counterpick Stages
Pokemon Stadium

Qualified Players
Pool A

• EMP | Mew2King
  • EG | PPMD
  • Leffen
  • SS | Soft
  • VGBC | Hax
  • LLL | Remen
Pool B
  • CRS | Hungrybox
  • C9 | Mango
  • EMP | Armada
  • Westballz
  • VGBC | Amsa
  • CT | ZeRo
Friday Match Ups
2:30PM - LEFFEN vs. MEW2KING
2:50PM - HAX vs. SOFT
3:10PM - REMEN vs. PPMD
3:30PM - MANGO vs. ZERO
3:50PM - HUNGRYBOX vs. ARMADA
4:10PM - AMSA vs. WESTBALLZ
4:30PM - MEW2KING vs. PPMD
4:50PM - REMEN vs. SOFT
5:10PM - LEFFEN vs. HAX
5:30PM - AMSA vs. MANGO
5:50PM - ZERO vs. ARMADA
6:10PM - HUNGRYBOX vs. WESTBALLZ
7:00PM - BREAK
7:30PM - MEW2KING vs. REMEN
7:50PM - LEFFEN vs. SOFT
8:10PM - PPMD vs. HAX
8:30PM - HUNGRYBOX vs. ZERO
8:50PM - MANGO vs. WESTBALLZ
9:10PM - ARMADA vs. AMSA
10:00PM - EAST COAST VS WEST COAST CREW BATTLE

WEST COAST CREW (homefield)
Only 10 will play - 40 stocks
Captains: HYUGA & HUGS
  • MANGO
  • ZHU
  • AXE
  • WESTBALLZ
  • FLY
  • FICTION
  • S2J
  • LUCKY
  • MACD
  • PEWPEWU
  • SHROOMED
  • SFAT
EAST COAST CREW
Only 10 will play - 40 stocks
Captain: Cactuar
  • PPMD
  • HUNGRYBOX
  • MEW2KING
  • COL BOL
  • HAX
  • PLUP
  • CHUDAT
  • CHILLINDUDE
  • DOH
  • DUCK
  • PORKCHOPS
  • GAHTZU
Commentators
Production Crew and Operations
Follow these guys for the inside scoop!
Qualifier List
  • February 22nd - 23rd | Shuffle V | Columbus, OH
  • March 29th | CEO Prologue | Orlando, FL
  • April 26th - 27th | Fighters’ Edge | DuQuoin, IL
  • May 3rd - 4th | WHOBO6 | Houston, TX
  • May 4th | Sumabato DX Melee 11 | Japan
  • May 10th – 11th |Get On My Level | Toronto, Canada
  • May 17th - 18th | Republic of Fighters 3 | Paris, France
  • May 24th- 25th | Pat’s House 2 | San Diego, CA
  • May 31st - June 1st | SKTAR 3 | Somerset, NJ

Last edited by a moderator:

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I actually don't have a clue who will win, going with PPMD but I haven't watched all of these players go head to head to make an informed decision :/

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Only 320 entrants? Although that's certainly a large number, I must say I'm disappointed after the daunting 1024 player cap they settled on.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
I think PPMD might win, but I want HungryBox to win so I voted for him :3

Last edited:

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I think Armada has a chance to sweep it in. Also, that 8:30 PM match is going to be salty.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Only 320 entrants? Although that's certainly a large number, I must say I'm disappointed after the daunting 1024 player cap they settled on.
They seem to have reduced that cap along the way, the rules state a maximum on 512 players in the open bracket now. Guess they realized it was a bit unrealistic.

Bortogo

Smash Rookie
y'all are lying to yourselves if you think anyone has a better chance to win this than ppmd. he's got all the momentum he could possibly have, mango's on a downswing, and armada is just coming back into it. M2K isn't even a threat to PPMD anymore. only way he can lose is if mango does some hype ish and gets tons of momentum going into grand finals (if he makes it that far)

Last edited:

DarthZ3bra

Smash Rookie
NNID
dudeitsniko
3DS FC
1392-5551-8019
aMSa, THE BEST, Yoshi will sweep his way to victory PTW :D

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Hypest Smash trailers I've ever seen.

Also, whoever made the 2nd video must hate Mango, LOL. Every time he was in it he was not in the spotlight, haha.

strawhats

Smash Master
y'all are lying to yourselves if you think anyone has a better chance to win this than ppmd. he's got all the momentum he could possibly have, mango's on a downswing, and armada is just coming back into it. M2K isn't even a threat to PPMD anymore. only way he can lose is if mango does some hype ish and gets tons of momentum going into grand finals (if he makes it that far)
the moment you doubt mango/m2k/armada is the moment you'll be disappointed. M2k has beaten all members of the big 5/sinister 6, if you wanna include leffen at Apex 2014, in the last year. He goes even with mango, has proven recently that he's more than capable of beating armada (sktar 3) and they had a tight set at SSS last weekend (thought it could've gone to a game 5/set 2). He hasn't been able to beat pp recently (as of 2014;last time he beat pp was TBH3), but he's managed to take games off of pp's falco and as far as im concerned looked pretty damn solid vs pp up until game 4 of their set in GFs at SKTAR (taking game 1 off of pp's falco and going down to last stock vs pp in the marth ditto/lol only in 2014 did i ever think i'd see m2k as an underdog in the ditto).
Mango goes even with m2k, almost beat armada at Super Sweet, and is more than capable of beating pp. The scary thing is, is that MaNg0 has had that 20XX pack for a few weeks now. He's the last person you want to have that technology in their hands.

Armada, I can make the case has the best chance of beating PPMD, given the fact that he did very well against PP at SKTAR 3, at about 85%-90% of his maximum skill. What makes armada so fearsome is his punishment game, and his ability to adapt as well as win the war of attrition. (his peach is like a freaking wall) He'll take trades all day, and applies pressure so well. His OoS game gives him alot of leverage, he was not as crisp/comfortable OoS as he was say a yr and half ago (Apex 2013) with his trademark nairs OoS at SKTAR.
I wouldn't sleep on leffen either, imo he is capable of beating anyone of the big 5 (yes including pp). As for hbox, if he plays like he did at GOML, he'll be a real force heading into this weekend.

Last edited:

strawhats

Smash Master
not surprised at this at all, given how close to EVO this tournament was. I think I heard prog or someone else say that EVO might reach 1000 melee entrants this year. So if you're looking for earth shattering attendance for melee, look no further than EVO 2014. If not 1,000 players, which I think will happen, it'll at least get to 800+ to surpass last year's total.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
You mean to tell me I lied to everyone on stream by saying the stream would be on mlg.tv/vgbootcamp and not mlg.tv/smash ? D:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
CT Zero got this, guys.
He is after all the first Official Super Smash Bros Champion.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
PFFT. East Coast Vs West Coast Crew Battle is gonna be one sided. 3 of the top 5 players on one team and 1 of the top players on the other. Please. West Coast Players are solid but M2K, HBox, and PP all on the same team? Please.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why the "Favorite" and "Underdog" labels were applied to the crew battles section of this article. Who decided the labels? Everyone qualified to speak on the matter agrees it's going to be a close call.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why the "Favorite" and "Underdog" labels were applied to the crew battles section of this article. Who decided the labels? Everyone qualified to speak on the matter agrees it's going to be a close call.
I think that East Coast Crew is stacked and the result of this crew battle is predicable.

DrMcNugget

Smash Apprentice
LEFFEN vs. MEW2KING
I think it could be close, but I honestly don't see Leffen beating Mew2King.

HAX vs. SOFT
Hax gonna beat S0ft just like he did at WHOBO.

REMEN vs. PPMD
PPMD gonna destroy him.

MANGO vs. ZERO
No way Mango will lose.

HUNGRYBOX vs. ARMADA
I think Hungrybox will take this. Not sure how much Armada was been practicing against puff and he had some close games against Prince Abu at Super SWEET.

AMSA vs. WESTBALLZ
I think aMSa will wreck him just like he did at the salty sweet.

MEW2KING vs. PPMD
I think M2K has a small chance but PPMD is on top right now.

REMEN vs. SOFT
I wanna say Remen but after seeing him at the SSS... I just don't know.

LEFFEN vs. HAX
I think this could go either way.

AMSA vs. MANGO
I think the upset could happen. But it's mango so I doubt it.

ZERO vs. ARMADA
ZeRo was doing suprisingly well against Armada in friendlies at the SSS. Although be real, Armada, losing to a fox that isn't Leffen or Mango or uhhh.... M2K at SKTAR

HUNGRYBOX vs. WESTBALLZ
Hungrybox got this.

MEW2KING vs. REMEN
Could be close but M2K got this.

LEFFEN vs. SOFT
Leffen gonna bop him hard.

PPMD vs. HAX
I predict some close games but PPMD got it.

HUNGRYBOX vs. ZERO
ZeRo has beaten S0ft and Darc. It's Hbox, though, I could see ZeRo taking game 1 but not the set.

MANGO vs. WESTBALLZ
Mango has this.

ARMADA vs. AMSA
Armada ain't losing to no yoshi.

EAST COAST VS WEST COAST CREW BATTLE
Could be really close not sure who'll take it.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
A lot of people like to register at the door. It's possible for the crowd to grow.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I see mango taking his bracket with PPMD taking his bracket and then mango winning.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I'm glad M2K was considered East Coast in this crew battle. Imagine Crew2King on West Coast, that would be murder.

Zenmaioh

Smash Apprentice
I got $50 on Armada for the singles, and another $50 on the East Coast for the crew battle.

Djent

Smash Champion
Regarding the poll, I voted for Hax. I don't think it'll happen, but it's what I want to happen, so **** it. He always comes *so* close, and after watching him at SKTAR I finally think Fox was the right choice for him. More realistically, he'll upset one of the "gods" but then get knocked out by 2 others. I don't care though, I gamble big with my credibility.

not surprised at this at all, given how close to EVO this tournament was. I think I heard prog or someone else say that EVO might reach 1000 melee entrants this year. So if you're looking for earth shattering attendance for melee, look no further than EVO 2014. If not 1,000 players, which I think will happen, it'll at least get to 800+ to surpass last year's total.
I think Melee will come very close to UMvC3 in entrant totals. My guess is 1300 for Marvel (similar to last year) and 1100 for Melee (~55% increase). The huge SoCal local scene is a big factor because those people don't have to travel *that* far for EVO.

PFFT. East Coast Vs West Coast Crew Battle is gonna be one sided. 3 of the top 5 players on one team and 1 of the top players on the other. Please. West Coast Players are solid but M2K, HBox, and PP all on the same team? Please.
SoCal is by far the strongest Melee region. Their players are theoretically capable of matching the # of stocks claimed by M2K/PP/HBox. And if those 3 go down, the rest of the EC team (save for Hax) is considerably weaker. So I don't think it will be one-sided at all. It's going to be very close.

Last edited:

Osennecho

Smash Ace
A lot of people like to register at the door. It's possible for the crowd to grow.
Yah but with a $125 at the door fee, I don't see too many. Some yah... But not like normal majors. I get that it's MLG, but given the price of entry, the turnout numbers are reasonable. Disappointing b/c its F'*** MLG, but not exactly unexpected either.

Last edited:

Sfeet

Smash Rookie
Does anybody know if the matches will be recorded and put up on youtube at any time? I am gonna miss M2K vs Leffen and I was hoping that it would be saved in some capacity.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Yah but with a $125 at the door fee, I don't see too many. Some yah... But not like normal majors. I get that it's MLG, but given the price of entry, the turnout numbers are reasonable. Disappointing b/c its F'*** MLG, but not exactly unexpected either.
Yeah. MLG hasn't been quite supportive if fighting games in general, so not too much of a surprise here. Anyway, if there is a next year, I hope it grows then.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'm one of only four people that voted for Hax. ;_;

Rep the Falcon man! YUCONDUUIT!

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Where will they be streaming this? I'm so sleepy I might have missed it somewhere. Could anyone help me with this piece of info?

Top Bottom