• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mixups, options selects, and gimmicks

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Recall and remember are synonyms <.<
This semantics arguing is pretty silly let's talk about something else

Windrose

Smash Lord
how often do you guys use double jumps as a mixup? I notice ss uses it alot...

Trick them into spot dodging or w/e
and knee or stomp...or just empty stuff...i dunno i'm always so conservative with my jumps

Walt

Smash Ace
I DJ at far-ish spacing to try and bring people in, or to get to platforms faster so I can waveland. And for some reason DJ->edgehog makes people recover worse/stupidier, like you aren't on the edge or didn't get your jump back. Mindgames I guess lol.

0Room

Smash Lord
I DJ when I keep getting spot dodged.

Spot dodging is a fantastic thing, it lets you know that you're too predictable and need to vary your timings.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I double jump with the forwards animation going backwards, but DI forward after you let them know you're going back
I think that's kinda what SS does (looks ********, ***** everyone @_@)

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
WHOA WHOA is this a legit Falcon thread?
Idk if I can tell all my secret Falcon secrets O.o
Dthrow>Tomahawk. Greatest thing ever.
That's all im telling >.<

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Or you can Dthrow and go for a followup that is guaranteed if you guess right ... <_<

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Your mindgame gets a regrab, my guess gets a stock ... xD
Your mindgame sounds basically like a guess that they'll techroll anyways ... iono
*shrug*
I need to watch more Hax vids or something to learn how to techchase

0Room

Smash Lord
I mean the way I tech chase is this:

Throw->Watch DI from throw
The DI USUALLY means that they are going to roll that way. 90% of the time.
Then there's those *******s who di away and roll in D:<
But they usually do that more than once so I learn.

My favorite people are the people who don't DI at all and roll.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Dthrow> Dash where they are gonna tech>react to roll.
Seriously *****. you can cover every option you just have to be fast enough on reaction (Which isn't hard duh)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Not hard at all
I see Falcons zero death fastfallers all the time
Yep
Totally

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Not hard at all
I see Falcons zero death fastfallers all the time
Yep
Totally
what he said is true, it IS easy to dash forward => react to any tech, it's just that we often don't, when we play it's not our natural instinct to do the safest thing that covers the most options.

also, that dashing forward doesnt cover missed tech lol.
ALSO most people DI it so that if you dash forward you go past them. which is annoying.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
And I'm saying it's clearly not that easy -_- if it was, we'd have a Falcon smart enough to do that, but we don't

Sheik has a much throw setup for techchases and she gets a great walk -> jab reset for missed techs ... and still the only person who seems to get these amazing techchases is Tope and he still doesn't hit them all

So no, it's really not that easy. You've already listed two options that screw up reaction based techchasing - missing the tech and DIing the throw differently, there's also edgecanceling off the ledge and probably something I'm not thinking of right now

Windrose

Smash Lord
Don't forget those sick, jab SDI to jump buffer escapes. @__@

and buffer get up at certain percents to jump to escape.

EDIT: There are various reasons why you don't see falcons tech chase regrabbing all the way like sheik does. It's partially because of what wenbo said. Good players know how to mix up teching, no teching and etc to get out of regrabs. Plus you only really need like a few regrabs to get a sense of how the opponent techs. I usually only see pro falcons regrab a couple times before they start using stomp, knee or raptor boost to tech chase(or etc.) instead.

@Wenbo: What SS does is sh backwards but di forward and waveland all in a short hop. It gives the effect that falcon is doing some sort of dolphin back flip jump in the air and wavelanding. I'm like 93.3(repeating decimal) % sure that's what you were thinking of.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
That wasn't what I was thinking about at all haha
Watch SS play and he'll do double jump knees that look ******** when you watch them but they'll hit ... somehow ...
I know what you're talking about with the short hop backwards while going forwards waveland but he usually does that between stocks as a tech skill thing

Windrose

Smash Lord
Whatttt, can you link to a specific video at a specific time? I'm curious. I don't recall seeing these. Does he do it to bait out a spot dodge or something?

Top Bottom