• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mission Briefing - The Samus Social

Chevy

Smash Ace
Not from standing shot, it didn't change the b-reverse window though, so you can still do it with a fully charged shot with proper timing. Also I'm pretty sure Samus' DACUS sucks, or I'm not doing it right.

EDIT: Tested and double reverse charge shots seem normal, timing is a little different maybe.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Does this mean we cant backwards charge shot anymore
Sadly, no. The tech that both you and I found is the one that gets fixed.

EDIT: NEVERMIND. You can do the reverse, you just have to react to it faster and the full charge shot is still the same timing.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Anyone think the active frames on her grab look lessened now? I swear it had more active frames in 3.0 than it shows in debug mode now, haven't had a good frame of reference in play yet though.

Digging the new ice mode sound effects they're super sweet. Throw release points feel more natural too.

Up-smash is still usable, have to be more careful with it and it's overall just less degenerate.

Narpas_sword

there's now a landing animation when you fire a chargeshot while charging in the air just before you hit the ground.\

Previously you clipped through the ground, now you have a delay then the animation. it looks like it could be a lot smoother

Litt

Samus
Anyone think the active frames on her grab look lessened now? I swear it had more active frames in 3.0 than it shows in debug mode now, haven't had a good frame of reference in play yet though.

Digging the new ice mode sound effects they're super sweet. Throw release points feel more natural too.

Up-smash is still usable, have to be more careful with it and it's overall just less degenerate.
Up smash is much less spamable and much easier to sdi out of now, the recovery nerf hurts samus so much though... :/ rising grapple may become a large part of her recovery game in 3.5

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
backwards charge shot still works the same, you guys probably did it completely different from me, cuz im still able to do it on command

dat Player 2 costume tho

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
When are people going to realize that you don't balance multi-hit ground moves by making them SDIable?

Chevy

Smash Ace
Weak z-air jab resets now, guys, GG. Also the Fire f-air knockback reduction is a nice combo buff.

Chevy

Smash Ace
So testing Aerial Interrupt from ledge and it appears that it works identical to Melee, unsure if it did in 3.02. So performed frame perfect you can get invincibility and hitbox overlap with Jab, F-tilt, and D-smash.

Also Samus has enough time on a perfect ledge-dash to get into shield while still invincible.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Yeah, d-throw is way different. I've been getting jab re-grabs and tech chases off of it, rather than free up-smashes.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Yeah, d-throw is way different. I've been getting jab re-grabs and tech chases off of it, rather than free up-smashes.
Dash attack seems to work as a follow-up on most characters, but it isn't very intuitive for starting combos on stages that aren't Infinite Glacier.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
On the bright side, Charge Shot is guaranteed out of down throw tech chase on more characters now.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
So testing Aerial Interrupt from ledge and it appears that it works identical to Melee, unsure if it did in 3.02. So performed frame perfect you can get invincibility and hitbox overlap with Jab, F-tilt, and D-smash.

Also Samus has enough time on a perfect ledge-dash to get into shield while still invincible.
At least from what I can tell it's not identical to Melee. Check out my post. http://smashboards.com/threads/aerial-interrupts-in-pm-3-5.378213/

Chevy

Smash Ace
Yup, I thought I remembered Melee having 7 invincibility frames. This explains why it feels like you have to up-air so much later.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Theory crafting here. I just tried it on fox at mid-percents and I like it. (assuming the missed tech)
Ice D-tilt -> Zair-reset -> grab follow ups

Last edited:

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I just thought of a d-throw follow up myself. It seems like it should work at lower percents but I'll have to test it.

Grab > D-throw > Boost Ball > Jab 1 > Grab > D-throw > Dash Attack, Screw Attack, or Charge Shot

EDIT: Only works at mid percents with specific DI.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
When are people going to realize that you don't balance multi-hit ground moves by making them SDIable?
Hi, I'm a Zelda main, and I approve this message.

Do the throw release points feel different to anyone else?
It was a universal bug fix. Throw release points are now lower across the cast for all throws. It was a serious problem for ICs, because they couldn't do d-throw > up-smash.

Litt

Samus
I just thought of a d-throw follow up myself. It seems like it should work at lower percents but I'll have to test it.

Grab > D-throw > Boost Ball > Jab 1 > Grab > D-throw > Dash Attack, Screw Attack, or Charge Shot

EDIT: Only works at mid percents with specific DI.
Edit: Grab --> dthrow --> boost ball --> pivot jab --> d tilt (fire) --> upsmash (fire) that combo should work at 0 against fast fallers (theory crafted, not actually gonna test, or maybe i already did and this is from memory xD)

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Thanx dude! the funny thing is I actually fight a melee ness and a pm one. Are there any differences in pm? I know Ness is buffed, is the neutral pretty much the same? Any new dangerous ness stuff to look out for?

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Since this is the social thread, is anybody else planning on going to Low Tier City 3 this year? It was a blast last year, and I'd love to actually meet some fellow Sami (shout outs to Pizzacato) and throw down in some cash battles. Plus, it's always easier to grow and adapt our play styles if we get to play in person.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
AYEEEE Pooch yeah I'll try my best to be there again. If it interferes with school, there's a chance I won't, but yeah. All things considered, I'm hyped for LTC3 and hyped for the Sami love. <3

Litt

Samus
Thanx dude! the funny thing is I actually fight a melee ness and a pm one. Are there any differences in pm? I know Ness is buffed, is the neutral pretty much the same? Any new dangerous ness stuff to look out for?
When you are playing a good ness... all you should really be doing is Up being OoS, and trying to space ftilts, if they fair or dash attack you at low percents you need to be able to CC downsmash it, and if you get hit by ness pkfire, learn how to buffer roll immediatly to get out of it

Samuch

Smash Cadet
I didn't want to make a whole new topic, but question on Samus' aerial interrupts onto platforms.

I read about AIs a while ago, but I just barely started integrating them into my gameplay, and it seems to be working out really well. It speeds up my gameplay just enough to give me an opening at some point. I can't do it onto the stage, but onto platforms is wicked easy.

Time for the question. I thought all was well after I learned this. Then I saw this Darrell vs. DJ Nintendo video, and I can see that there are a lot of points where he snaps to standing position as well, but every time he does it I can hear the double jump going off. I also see the puff of smoke that happens when wavedashing.(Examples in vid: 1:29, 3:38, 4:24, 4:43, at 5:04 I believe this is an AI because I hear no DJ and see no puff of smoke he just snaps, 8:14, I tested just double jumping -> Wavelanding onto the platforms really quickly, and it also snaps to standing position. So what option gives me the least amount of time to do an action after. Aerial Interrupt, or a quick waveland?

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Aerial interrupt gives you less lag overall, but both have their uses, and it's much easier to be consistent with wavelands. Overall, I'm not too big of a AI style player just because of the differences from Melee, but AI into a dsmash on a platform is crazy. Just play around with both in tourney and see where you're most comfortable.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Every example you posted was a normal waveland, except for 5:04. 5:04 is actually a no impact landing, not an AI. No impact landing can happen when you land at the peak of your jump or when you land from your double jump because Samus reverts to normal standing height and you are now colliding with the floor, rather than because you descended to the ground. In Melee it seems that a backwards short hop will land you perfectly on Battlefield platforms, which is what happened at 5:04. This doesn't happen in PM, so it doesn't have as much use. I know that some Samus players use it at ledge as a mix-up between re-grabbing ledge and landing on stage with no lag, because the differing heights for each are hard to differentiate.

As for which is faster. In PM on battlefield platforms an instant double jump no impact landing lets you act on frame 43 after inputting jump, with 0 frames of landing lag. A perfect aerial interrupt out of a full hop let's you act on frame 23 after jumping, with 4 frame of landing lag. A frame perfect waveland out of full hop lets you act on frame 31, with 10 frames of landing lag.

So no impact landing probably isn't really worth exploring in PM outside of ledge mix-ups. Aerial interrupt is fastest, and wavelanding is the easiest, plus you get the obvious mobility perks from using it.

EDIT: After testing in Melee, you can no impact land out of a backwards short hop on Battlefield.

Last edited:

Naggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
OfficialFelon
It's really unfortunate that the changes to stage collisions removed samus's ability to no impact land out of a backward short hop on battlefield because i found it to be extremely useful for quickly getting onto the top platform on that stage while still being able to threaten a dsmash at any point. Now the lowest skill barrier available that gives you the same options is homing missile cancel which is still worse because you have to commit to the missile rather than being able to mix it up with an aerial instead. oh well

Last edited:

Samuch

Smash Cadet
It's really unfortunate that the changes to stage collisions removed samus's ability to no impact land out of a backward short hop on battlefield because i found it to be extremely useful for quickly getting onto the top platform on that stage while still being able to threaten a dsmash at any point. Now the lowest skill barrier available that gives you the same options is homing missile cancel which is still worse because you have to commit to the missile rather than being able to mix it up with an aerial instead. oh well
Really? Wouldn't an aerial interrupt be the best thing even if the SH-no impact landing worked? I might be some sort of smash rain main, but AI onto platforms is super easy. I think if you are on one of the bottom platforms, it's easier if you wavedash off the platform, jump, and do the AI.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
I think the point was that you don't have to commit to anything on your way up with the specific height no impact landing. You are never inputting anything other than jump, so you are never in any lag frames.

Neighbor

Smash Cadet
Hi, i noticed this thread is pretty dead. Im new to PM but have been a samus main for a very long time. Is there anything i could read like a guide or a video on pm samus to learn from ? besides playing against computers im just having fun with super wavedash around stages lol.

Naggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
OfficialFelon
@ N Neighbor I'd suggest reading through the pinned threads at the top of the board. There are quite a few youtube vids that have been posted as well to give you an idea of how people are using samus in PM currently.

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! I'm picking up Samus as a secondary and just wanted to say hi to you all! May ask real questions later but for now - what do you guys like and dislike most about playing as Samus?

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Hey guys! I'm picking up Samus as a secondary and just wanted to say hi to you all! May ask real questions later but for now - what do you guys like and dislike most about playing as Samus?
Samus is the best. Luv everything about her. Hate nothing. ;)

taaffe

Smash Rookie
@ Choice Scarf Choice Scarf My favorite part is definitely the missiles lol. For myself a nice combo or string ending in a off stage charge shot is hype, the love for her move set is what keeps me playing this character

Last edited:
Top Bottom