• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Missile speed increase... a nerf, or a buff?

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
The latest patch reworked the way samus's side-b functions, increasing the speed of her missiles but not changing anything else about them. What do you think about this change? Have you found any new tech that takes advantage of their new speed?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Better speed means better spam means you can counter other spam with our spam.

Buff.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
A slower missile means it's intended for setups (particularly grabs). A faster missile means it's intended for direct damage, giving the opponent less time to react and put up shield. Missiles were situational at best before, I'm not sure any of that has changed. Verdict after much playtesting of course, right now I feel it's an irrelevant change - it's barely noticeable. I don't know wtf the design team was thinking.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
I almost always used super missiles for setup, I like the faster homing missiles, they really seem to track a little bit better.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Yep, for sure. I tested last night the long range missile combos. Super missile does not true combo with standing CS from 0 to ~30%. The SH and FJ variants are much tighter and you're forced to jump towards the opponent in all circumstance.
3/4 of the stage away is now closer to 1/2 of FD. I'll update later this weekend.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
It's a nerf, imo. More time between SM and CS arriving makes it easier for them to avoid the CS. I used this to get shield breaks a lot. Now they will be able to easily take action between the two arriving. This really matters for reflects and pocket. Used to be basically impossible to shield SM then reflect or pocket CS. Now it is tight but possible.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
I think it can be either or, but I was looking into SM combos a bit before the patch. We could string into F-air. Perhaps there was room for N-air and RAR B-air. :confused:

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
I don't find that the speed increase is enough to truly affect our gameplay in a positive way. It hardly means we can safely "spam" missiles. That being said, losing the ability to combo CS off of it is a confirmed nerf.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Not fast enough to make a noticable difference, but since the speed seems more consistent, power shielding missiles seems easier. I say nerf.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Nerf. While I do honestly believe Super Missiles should be sped up so we can use them for direct damage, the increase is nearly negligible and provides absolutely no buff to that ability. That are still slow enough to be easily power shielded, but just fast enough to ruin true combos now.

Currently its a nerf, if they ever want to buff super missile speeds they need to increase it much more than they have now.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
I certainly feels like a buff. I hadn't played in a while and got back on the game a few days ago. I didn't even know the patch had happened, and jumped in a game with Samus. I was landing and walling with power missiles all day, to the point where I was able to control fights unlike I had been able to before. The fact that they travel faster means that the missiles is reaching them quicker, not only giving them less time to shield, but also means you can put out more missiles overall in a shorter amount of time. This also helps when mixing up between power missiles and homing missiles. For example, I like to alternate homing missiles into power missiles on the ground, so now that the PM is faster, they have less time to approach after avoiding, shielding, or getting hit by the HM, so you essentially have a much better pressure game. throwing in some uncharged neutral b's mix things up a bit more due to the speed difference between it and the missiles, so its much more difficult to get in on Samus now I think. I was also playing against some awesome players who had already been playing the game post-patch, so I felt pretty good about this change overall.

Top Bottom