• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mirror's Edge 2 -- In Development

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I've yet to get all the trophies in the first Mirror's Edge; the speedrun trophies are just oh so hard. I least I've played through and beaten the game and all of that jazz. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

:phone:

Kal

Smash Champion
Mirror's Edge was a weird game. Lots of individual things that were just bad; weird, poorly told story. Cheap looking cutscenes. Using the right bumper to jump. And yet the overall title was not bad at all. Hopefully the sequel is even better, and hopefully they do a good job with the PC version, like they did with the first title.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Since it looks like it is going to use frostbite 2 engine, I'll be getting it for PC.

And Karl, the reason why the bumper was set to jump was so that your thumb would stay on that right analog stick, so that you could move around while looking.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Really hoping for a lot more free movement and open world. Something about a parkour game's focus being straight-path obstacle courses is good for short instances, but it would be nice to juxtapose that kind of challenge with an open freerunning main overworld.

Using the right bumper to jump.
I can't tell if this is a serious concern you have with the game or not, because non-traditional controls are in no way a bad thing. If it wasn't for games challenging control conventions, entire genres and new conventions for controls wouldn't be made.

The fact that you're comment on offbeat controls is on a Smash Bros. forum of all places is a little funny to me.

I like subtle humour like that.

Kal

Smash Champion
And Karl, the reason why the bumper was set to jump was so that your thumb would stay on that right analog stick, so that you could move around while looking.
I don't necessarily think this was a bad idea, but at least let us customize the damn controls.

I can't tell if this is a serious concern you have with the game or not, because non-traditional controls are in no way a bad thing. If it wasn't for games challenging control conventions, entire genres and new conventions for controls wouldn't be made.
Whether the controls are "traditional" isn't the concern, so much as whether they're comfortable and, more importantly, whether they can be changed. In this case, you were stuck with one control scheme which I personally found a little awkward.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
The controls are perfectly fine. But there is that learning curve to mastering them.

Kal

Smash Champion
Never thought I'd see people blindly defending Mirror's Edge of all games.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm not angry at all. I just mean, I've seen people jump in defense of games like Halo or Zelda, despite obvious faults in those games. But I never thought I'd see that kind of thing with Mirror's Edge. I figured people would just agree, "yeah, it is awkward to jump with RB." This doesn't make it a bad game; it's just that acknowledging a game's flaws is what allows future titles to improve.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I'm not angry as well. As for defending the controls, if bumper jumper works in Halo, it works in Mirror's Edge.

Like I said before, it is just that there is a learning curve to it all.

Top Bottom