• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mirror of Truth or Palutena's Advice? Both available at all hours of the day

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
It does? Well I don't even think that i have played a pikachu in a while so I wouldn't no. But that is still pretty cool nonetheless

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
I'm trying to get into playing DP, can some tell what are the common frame traps to land a f smash or up smash? Also aerial frame traps would be nice as well
im afraid you wont find a whole lot or any guaranteed frame traps, not on this character. gotta get them reads

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
im afraid you wont find a whole lot or any guaranteed frame traps, not on this character. gotta get them reads
I think you might have misinterpreted my question. Where you saying that his kill moves are to slow to make lethal frame traps reliable? All I'm asking for are set ups in which dark pit can put the opponent in a position where if they were to air dodge then dark pit could react and hit the opponent with a move that they cannot avoid because they're recovering. Moves to hit would be Up Smash, F Smash, Up air, Dair, Bair, Fair, or Up Tilt. If Dark Pit predicts an attack from the opponent in one of these sets ups, his options are to block and punish accordingly, or if more beneficial, side b. I just would like to know what are some set ups in which i could put my opponent in a disadvantageous situation.
Sadly I only have access to the 3ds version, and have not played any other smash competitively, so I don't know the proper way to test these things, but I do know enough about fighting games to know that these set ups exist are the most efficient way of dark to get kills, but I don't know have enough smash experience to make competitive sets ups that would work at high level.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
The point of using the arrows is to gimp your opponent from getting back on stage. In the words, if you hit them with your arrow after they do their second jump, their only way back to recovering is using their up B. After you see them use their up B, you can gimp them with a fair, or do a wall of pain bair. That of which I've done to a player, i'll upload it soon and show you guys what I mean.

Pit's side B move is by far better because you can hit them vertically no matter what part of the stage you hit them at. Use it wisely. By that, I mean wait until they are around 100% or higher. The best way to use that move is to mind game them by running past them, then do a pivot side B. Works everytime against someone who doesn't expect it.

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
I think you might have misinterpreted my question. Where you saying that his kill moves are to slow to make lethal frame traps reliable? All I'm asking for are set ups in which dark pit can put the opponent in a position where if they were to air dodge then dark pit could react and hit the opponent with a move that they cannot avoid because they're recovering. Moves to hit would be Up Smash, F Smash, Up air, Dair, Bair, Fair, or Up Tilt. If Dark Pit predicts an attack from the opponent in one of these sets ups, his options are to block and punish accordingly, or if more beneficial, side b. I just would like to know what are some set ups in which i could put my opponent in a disadvantageous situation.
Sadly I only have access to the 3ds version, and have not played any other smash competitively, so I don't know the proper way to test these things, but I do know enough about fighting games to know that these set ups exist are the most efficient way of dark to get kills, but I don't know have enough smash experience to make competitive sets ups that would work at high level.
ya i know what youre talking about, but dark pit simply doesnt have kill setups or frame traps, all you can really do is a bait some sort of dodge. i usually kill with fthrow.

Last edited:

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
not really. say you empty hop, if they air dodge then you baited them into thinking you were going to use an aereial, and you can punish. frame trap would refer to actually using an attack, and they dodge, and you can punish accordingly. in other words, frame trap refers to putting them in a situation where no matter what option they choose, you can land a hit. the bait only works if they fall for it

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
you just described, the exact same situation, only one you threw out an attack and one you did nothing, it's the same end result

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
its different. frame trap implies that you hit with something no matter what, a bait does not not.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
its different. frame trap implies that you hit with something no matter what, a bait does not not.
A frame trap is when you get your opponent to do something that would normally put them into an advantageous situation, at a time where it would put them into a disadvantageous situation instead.

My understanding of baiting, is that you create a situation where the opponent does a move that you have predicted. Similar definition to a frame trap, but baiting doesn't require a follow, a successful bait is simply getting your opponent to do something you predicted. Frame traps happen in controlled settings, baits can happen anywhere, at anytime, and don't require follow ups.

Last edited:

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Does Dark Pit's super armor still kick in, even though hes in the air?

Last edited:

Tipper_of_scales

Smash Rookie
If you B-reversal electroshock arm, it gets about a roll's distance of extra range, so usually when they roll and you'd miss; if you b-reversal, you're usually in range to punish rolls and hear the glorious cry of ELECTROSHOCK

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
You can't rush the kill, obviously. Play it slow and smart. You have arrows don't you? How about using them to rack up damage and unstale some moves. Dont push yourself. Your character playsheavily off of a good neutral game. Good neutral games aren't based on kill moves so you aren't always killing early.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
F-air Wall of Pain is the best, I think.

But I voted for d-air because it's also useful. Just get stuck in and take advantage of Pit's aerial superiority. Arrows are fine from a distance, but when you've got the option of gimping in person, then you go for gimping in person.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That's an interesting response.
Since you main Jiggly, let me just clarify that it doesn't work with characters whose aerial advantage surpasses that of Pit's. That isn't a lot, but characters like Jiggly and Peach will be able to DI out of it or just evade the hits altogether by being floaty and fast in the air.

Ormsson

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hobknockers
3DS FC
1006-0909-9377
I was watching a video of a guy playing pit for glory, and he was talking about a downthrow upair chaingrab combo with pit, he didn't really go in-depth with it so if anyone knows how to pull it off, it would be appreciated, thanks! :D

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Since people usually say Pit's arrows are better. How do you guys feel about one Dark Pit's custom moves that lets him control the arrows better? Really helps with harassing people offstage I've found ...I might actually prefer it over his regular ones o.o

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
The thing with this tech is that I've only ever seen it done against a "stop" bot in training mode. I'd love to see something where it's actually pulled off against a human who is trying to get out of it.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Since people usually say Pit's arrows are better. How do you guys feel about one Dark Pit's custom moves that lets him control the arrows better? Really helps with harassing people offstage I've found ...I might actually prefer it over his regular ones o.o
Yes I prefere it too because you can egde guard for example. ^^

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
there is sort of a second way to chain grab using pits forward throw and back throw. keyword: sort of.
after the throw just run up and down air them right as they hit the floor if they don't tech ((very hard thing to do on for glory ;P) you can either jab lock them with the meteor smash and regrab (or follow up with a smash attack if you wan't) or knock them back up for another regrab although some characters can escape if they have a fast enough move if you don't jab lock, if this happens just jab them instead and go for a regrab as they will most likely try and shield after that. this does't last as long as the up air chain grab but it racks up damage faster (to around 60%) depending on what you do and what character it is.

Last edited:

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Of course dair spike is better than arrows but its more difficult to use it. Arrows are safer to use and you can combine with fair for examble.

Ormsson

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hobknockers
3DS FC
1006-0909-9377
Guys btw way why is dark pit supposedly complete ass compared to pit, I used dp until i got sick of people talking trash about him

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Guys btw way why is dark pit supposedly complete *** compared to pit, I used dp until i got sick of people talking trash about him
Ignore negative comments that others say towards a specific character. Always play the one you like! The reason I play Pit over Dark Pit at the moment is because I prefer the flexibility Pit's arrows give me when compared to Dark Pit's. Both are great characters.

Ormsson

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hobknockers
3DS FC
1006-0909-9377
Ignore negative comments that others say towards a specific character. Always play the one you like! The reason I play Pit over Dark Pit at the moment is because I prefer the flexibility Pit's arrows give me when compared to Dark Pit's. Both are great characters.
Thats true, I started playing pit and I actually prefer him over dp now, so I guess it worked out fine

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
I'm assuming you're talking about using these while the enemy is off-stage, so I definitely agree with what Wintropy said. U-air can also be useful when the enemy is trying to get back on stage; it really just depends where you think your opponent is going to go. One risk with going for d-air when your enemy is off stage is that if you miss the spike, you might just end up popping them back up high enough for them to reach the ledge, but it's probably better to try than not to try. On certain stages you might also be able to use d-air to hit your opponent into a stage spike, though that might be easier to do with b-air. I pulled off a d-air stage spike completely on accident yesterday xD

On stage, d-air's spike also happens to combo really well into u-smash, if you can pull it off. It's a fairly reliable KO combo.

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
Guys btw way why is dark pit supposedly complete *** compared to pit, I used dp until i got sick of people talking trash about him
The two are so similar that it's not really a disadvantage playing either one. The only differences are the side B (DP hits diagonally and KOs earlier from the edge, Pit hits upward and KOs slightly later but once in KO range it is consistent anywhere on stage), the arrows (DP's do slightly more damage in exchange for not being able to angle), and the forward tilt (DP's inexplicably does less knockback). I think people just look at it as, they think the very few differences are in Pit's favor, so why play DP over Pit. But if you like DP better for your own reasons, he's still just as viable as Pit is.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
well he isn't garbage compared to pit, it's just his few differences overall are what make him worse then pit
I was watching a video of a guy playing pit for glory, and he was talking about a downthrow upair chaingrab combo with pit, he didn't really go in-depth with it so if anyone knows how to pull it off, it would be appreciated, thanks! :D
most pseudo chain grabs are done by using either weak spikes or auto link angles to force the opponents into the ground, followed by grabbing them. Pit has an angle of 270 (the angle that spikes) degrees on the top hit box of his Uair during the first four hits before the final hit of it, so if you are able to stop the Uair in mid usage (which involves touching the ground) your opponent will be hit to the ground during the hit stun (so long as you were hitting your opponent with the top center of the move).

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
Yes I prefere it too because you can egde guard for example. ^^
i prefer the big damage one.

What do we do against small characters like jiggly, fox, kirby, etc. Their so small that most of dark's aerials whiff, and that spells death. I feel like the bigger the character, the better that match up because can control the stage with your jumps and aerials, but you can't do that against the small cast because everything you'll do will whiff. It's really tuff when fighting fox, if you don't get a read on his side b or pull of a guard, then I don't know how you deal with that caffeinated furball.

Anyone else think that Dark has bad match ups against small and quick characters? His moves tend to have a lot of lag, and fast characters are always able to get close and get the punish.

Last edited:

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
It is easily possible to do it on a human player. I tend to use it if they are DI'ing diagonally upwards :GCUR: As they tend to not see it coming ^^.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Very MU based... And situational. Your not going to go for a dair if they are far away. You might aswell rack up dmg with arrows while waiting for them to come in. But against a villager for example you might want to stick with arrows. If you fail to hit villager properly Meaning he goes upwards from the other atks properties or you miss then he can have a free Fsmash punish. That can gimp pit very easily as the villager can time it well placed for when pit is about to encounter the ledge. Or if your under the stage its just end off lol.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
When i try the uair chain grab i cant fast fall in time to avoid the last hit (it doesnt seem to let me fastfall) unless i wait a little before the uair which results in my opponents escaping. any tips?

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
It is easily possible to do it on a human player. I tend to use it if they are DI'ing diagonally upwards :GCUR: As they tend to not see it coming ^^.
Can you post a video of it? I'd just like to actually see it used on a human player because as it is it's just weird nobody has recorded themselves pulling it off on a human before.

Top Bottom