• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Any general tips for Smash 4 Palutena players? Specifically a Melee player coming into the game? I can't seem to really handle the airdodging. Maybe I'm just bad.

Also, the Sheik and Rosalina matchups by default are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO brutal.
Any general tips? They just have moves that clearly outclass Palutena...
Coming from Melee, I think the best way to get back on the ground is to take a page
from Mewtwo and warp to the ground to avoid juggles. (I'm assuming you're using
default specials.)

I can't say for sure if these tactics will work against the characters you mentioned,
since I've never faced them with Palutena yet, but you can try to reflect Luma Shot
if you see it coming and Warp to escape uncomfortable situations. And don't hesitate to
smash Luma if he's close to the edge. As for Sheik, you'll just have to be very patient
and maybe take some lumps while you figure out their patterns. Try using F-smash
at max range for the windbox if they charge in to throw them off, and see how they react.
If Sheik short-hops forward at you, maybe a short-hopped Uair could beat her Fair?
A well-spaced Fair may outreach it, too. And of course, counter predictable attacks.

In general, I would say the goal is to frustrate ground approaches with AutoReticule
and well-spaced Fsmashes, so that they jump into the air where you can catch them
with your speedier aerials, most notably Uair for it's great hitbox. Don't use Usmash
on air opponents unless you know for sure where they'll land.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
The more I play Palutena the more I feel like she's a mid-tier character. She's got a lot of slow and laggy moves. She has decent follow ups though.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I'm starting to understand her tilts more. So if I'm not sure to use reflect i'll use ftilt to swat projectiles and to use it as an anti air. Its real good. I'm not sure how to use dtilt yet other than to edge guard.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I've seen Dtilt be used to dodge Mario's Fireball and punish them when they landed in one of the replays I've seen in online mode..

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wow... so for Palutena/Zelda/Sheik you can just click their icon on the bottom screen to highlight them, and you'll see a REALLY OBVIOUS PATH when they use their Up-B's... i hope not too many people will find out about this... regardless, they can't do it on the Wii U : P
It can at least be useful for training.

Any tips on fighting Sonic? I can't catch him, and at a moment's rest, I get grabbed.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I haven't tried to fight sonic yet but try experimenting with her forward tilt to see if it can knock him out of spin dash. If it can then you have one less problem.

Sudai

Stuff here
Lightweight and Superspeed are great for fighting the faster characters and building early momentum against the slower ones. I personally run both in most match-ups but even just one or the other adds a lot of offensive ability to her kit.

As for uses for DTilt, I think it has IASA frames on it. I've had a bit of success doing Jab1 > DTilt > FTilt/Smash mix-ups on shield and it looks like it has somewhat decent IASA frames but maybe I'm crazy. Despite that, once people get a bit better I don't think that'll be a good option at all as there's clearly time to punish after the DTilt if they shield it. Even more if they powershield it.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
As much as I love this (especially against a Marth), a basic one could F-air after we F-air, or maybe I'm thinking of another character with a fast aerial. Regardless, something like this shows that Palutena has potential if you're not prepared.

*still wants Palutena ditto vids to happen*

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
As much as I love this (especially against a Marth), a basic one could F-air after we F-air, or maybe I'm thinking of another character with a fast aerial. Regardless, something like this shows that Palutena has potential if you're not prepared.

*still wants Palutena ditto vids to happen*
yes indeed well any character is good if you practice even pichu is

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Lightweight and Superspeed are great for fighting the faster characters and building early momentum against the slower ones. I personally run both in most match-ups but even just one or the other adds a lot of offensive ability to her kit.

As for uses for DTilt, I think it has IASA frames on it. I've had a bit of success doing Jab1 > DTilt > FTilt/Smash mix-ups on shield and it looks like it has somewhat decent IASA frames but maybe I'm crazy. Despite that, once people get a bit better I don't think that'll be a good option at all as there's clearly time to punish after the DTilt if they shield it. Even more if they powershield it.
What's the point of bringing up custom moves if they're banned in For Glory?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
When someone learns how to kill cheap old Yoshi with Palutena, let me know.
*currently furious*

Last edited:

Sudai

Stuff here
What's the point of bringing up custom moves if they're banned in For Glory?
Because the general consensus is that they'll be legal in tourney. For glory doesn't mean **** to me since you can't use custom move in it. Wold have been a neat way to practice if you could but even if customs were legal in for glory, tournies > for glory.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hope you enjoy grinding for all 300+ custom moves and hope no one at the tournament is needing the one you're missing.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Hope you enjoy grinding for all 300+ custom moves and hope no one at the tournament is needing the one you're missing.
In this situation the person shouldn't have brought the damn setup incomplete. There's also the possibility that saves could be transferred with everything already unlocked and just tacked onto some throwaway profile if you want to unlock stuff yourself. We'll see, I guess.

Burigu

Smash Ace
When someone learns how to kill cheap old Yoshi with Palutena, let me know.
*currently furious*
What is so bad about Yoshi??

By the way any tips on how to do 2 FAir in a row I have seen plenty of people doing that combo but everytime I try to do a second kick I am too close to the ground and end up failing, so what I am doing wrong?? please help me if anyone nows the answer

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Action Replay? I know they have a code for it. Unless everyone wants to do it the old fashion way.

By the way any tips on how to do 2 FAir in a row I have seen plenty of people doing that combo but everytime I try to do a second kick I am too close to the ground and end up failing, so what I am doing wrong?? please help me if anyone nows the answer
I know this may sound weird, but try moving Palutena back and forth while trying to land that second hit. After you do the first hit, move back a little, then move forward and follow with the second. Apparently, Palutena seems to get more air time when she does this........I think. It could just be me, but it is something that I notice. :/

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

It's flying around with egg spam, and using that air momentum to move away from me. When I'm close, there's a chance reverse neutral B comes out to get me. And then there's the stupid U-air strings at low % or whatever. I was too furious to think. Idc what it takes, I need ways to kill Yoshi...

As for other characters that angered me, I'll get to them later.

Sudai

Stuff here
P:M has proven that the smash scene is willing to go to great lengths to make a game play the way it wants and the P:M scene is -thriving- as a hacked game. All we need here is shared save files, not even a mod to the game.

Even if we did need to grind out all 300+, it's super easy to grind for custom moves using pause buffering.

Beastmegs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beastmegs
3DS FC
3325-1862-3482
this may just be me but i feel the circle pad hinders my use of Palutena alot same with other characters i use
with Palutena i find myself in far too many situations where i miss a cirtical punish on my opponent where i wanted too do
Either a foward smash or an upsmash and i get a sidetilt or up tilt other times i either just move the circle pad
a bit too the left and palutena is in the wrong directiong and misses her up smash

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I added to my list. Cheap Mario and his aerial spam, and that D-throw > U-tilt > U-air BS. You can tell my darkness is consuming me.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
After getting more geared up with Robin and Pacster, I'm gonna move to Palutena now. Great to hear how people have discovered Super Speed and D-Throw to lend her options for comboing. That gif's really good.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
P:M has proven that the smash scene is willing to go to great lengths to make a game play the way it wants and the P:M scene is -thriving- as a hacked game. All we need here is shared save files, not even a mod to the game.

Even if we did need to grind out all 300+, it's super easy to grind for custom moves using pause buffering.
You do have a point. I've done pause buffering (again with the random names, people?) only for me to get the same crap as before. Just my luck.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Don't mind me, just messing around in training mode and managed to accidentally kill a level 9 Mario off a Jab into Rocket Jump at 120...

... He can't seem to get out of it no matter how many times I do it so maybe this actually is a kill confirm.

Doesn't work with the tip of the jab, only closer towards Palutena.
So posting this again to increase visibility from the other thread.

Also to expand upon this, does anyone with 2 3DS want to test something for me?

Was messing around with this setup in training mode, setting a CPU to Level 9 just to see there reactions to Jab into Uncharged F-Smash.

These are the computers reactions to the situations:

Jab - Fmash
  • Jump gets tagged during start up frames
  • Air dodging causes them to insta-ground since theyr'e too close to the ground and they go into recovery frames and get tagged
  • Aerial gets tagged during start up frames
  • Counter is possible. Jab and then holding the Smash counters this option though
  • Up B is possible if it sends them upwards quickly. Jab Up Smash covers this option though
Granted, these are the CPUs options. What happens if you delay the air dodge slightly? Vectoring? Anyone want to test this that has the means to do so?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So I was testing some potential mixups reflector when I made an accidental discovery. I DThrow'd Pac-Man at the edge. I do reflector by accident and he tries to tumble back to the stage. The Pac-Man goes through the reflector but his descent is greatly slowed down, leaving him open for an attack.

I'm gonna mess around with this more, but this could be some deadly stuff.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Cheap Mario.............(ಥ﹏ಥ)
Yea about that... Let's just say some extremely arrogant bully/troll on AIB (another Smash site) kept making fun of me when he beats me, which he almost always does (and the jerk posted a vid too), I spout off outta anger, and I can only think about darkness. It's either I ban the character from being played against me forever, or someone helps me alter my playstyle so I won't seem predictable.
But til then, I kinda make really early grudges towards characters, hence, Yoshi earlier too.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Yea about that... Let's just say some extremely arrogant bully/troll on AIB (another Smash site) kept making fun of me when he beats me, which he almost always does (and the jerk posted a vid too), I spout off outta anger, and I can only think about darkness. It's either I ban the character from being played against me forever, or someone helps me alter my playstyle so I won't seem predictable.
But til then, I kinda make really early grudges towards characters, hence, Yoshi earlier too.
Man, that sucks. It's not right to just flat out bully people. The guy sounds messed up. Hey, let me know if you ever want some sparing. Perhaps both me and you can learn a few things from are spare.

For the most part, I use Mario, and Palutena. Every once in a while, I will use Lucina, Shulk, (Cause I'm really feeling it) Robin, Pit, Little Mac, (Don't judge) and Fox. You will never, ever, EVER see me use Jigglypuff, or Olimar. For the life in me I just can't. The rest of the cast are a work in progress. This is the first game I have that many mains. So if you see any other characters that are giving you are hard time let me know. I also know a thing or two about Yoshi. We're Homies, and Homies help Homies!

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I think I might have to change my recovery since people want to use target against characters with teleports. I think that's wrong. I feel like that's the equivalent to looking at your opponents controller to see what movements he or she are doing.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think I might have to change my recovery since people want to use target against characters with teleports. I think that's wrong. I feel like that's the equivalent to looking at your opponents controller to see what movements he or she are doing.
Or, you know, screen peeking in an FPS.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
It's some cheap ****, but in the end, if you're in a competitive environment, do everything legal you can to win or you won't. I doubt this problem will stick around in the Wii U version anyways.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's some cheap ****, but in the end, if you're in a competitive environment, do everything legal you can to win or you won't. I doubt this problem will stick around in the Wii U version anyways.
Sad truth, but I guess I can learn to camp once again like I used to with Pit in the Brawl times. I just hate the tier sellouts for the most part.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sad truth, but I guess I can learn to camp once again like I used to with Pit in the Brawl times. I just hate the tier sellouts for the most part.
Yeah, I'm all for tier lists and general analysis of character performance, but honestly "maining" a character not because of the character but because they're good seems so fake.

Top Bottom