• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I'm online right now if anybody wants to play some dittos with me?

At any rate, my NNID is Winterwhite, and it'd be great to see if my Palutena is as good as I think she is~

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'll probably play tomorrow in the daytime. You can find me as "GoldAngelPit" if anything. I'll be happy for the Palutena party when the time comes.

Last edited:

DD_

Smash Journeyman
So Today a Reddit Tier list dropped and I know Random voting polls mean nothing but it's interesting to see where Palutena places at the moment in the minds of a lot of players.

http://smashboards.com/threads/character-competitive-impressions.367669/page-165 about half way down is where you'll find this list.

So, I thought i'd ask, where do you guys see her at this point in time? I Think she is vastly underrated but defs has a few faults here and there. Can Palutena compete with the top tier characters? I hope she stays viable as I really like her playstyle

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The list is terrible. I would expect Palutena to be around mid tier at best if anything, but not many players can utilize her potential well, let alone how difficult it is to use her effectively. Of course, I'm no stranger to underrated characters, like during my Brawl Pit and Bowser times. If you're creative and knowledgeable with some smartness, potential can happen. Some of it is risky, but that's why mastering them (for my case, Warp Cancels) will prove to have its uses.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Played Palutena for the first time yesterday. (We were lucky enought to buy 2 bundles with GC adapters and hosted a whole day of 8 player smashw ith my friends....****ING AMAZING).

Yup, she feels difficult to use. Her laggy ground tilts are the problem IMO. Also, apart fromher upsmash and someimes fsmash...she lacks real kiling potential.
Sometimes i pcked up robin to try--- and was killing left and right with his aerials and smash for fun. With Palutena you really have to work for kills...and fighting against rushdown characters is a pain.

Ill try her a little more today.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
^Her Uair is a good killing move. It can ko alot of the cast at only around 90%.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Well i have killed with that too. Kills surpisingly good... the same with back airnear ledges...the sad thing is that with her, you need to sue every tool available..so is difficult not to stall bair or the dash attack. The dash attack is so good that is almosta given you will stall it

IMO they should buff her Ftilt, her Neutral air and give some more range to her Dair.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well i have killed with that too. Kills surpisingly good... the same with back airnear ledges...the sad thing is that with her, you need to sue every tool available..so is difficult not to stall bair or the dash attack. The dash attack is so good that is almosta given you will stall it

IMO they should buff her Ftilt, her Neutral air and give some more range to her Dair.
I'd buff Counter so that it has less lag, to have the same amount of lag of Marth's Counter, as well as less lag on F-tilt. I wonder what else is there.
Also there's some error roaming around about that bricks the Wii U or something. I can't remember where I read it, but try not to For Glory to avoid a chance at getting it. Chances are I may play the 3ds more til it ends, and rarely try standard 1v1 matches with you Palutena supporters.

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I bought the wiiu in conjunction with a friend of mine...and i promised him that when smash came out...ill give him the wiiu for 15 days... ill have those days without smash..starting from yesterday.
When i get the wiiu back.. ill come here to pick up some friend codees and start fighting

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Hey me again (i'm the guy who thought Brawl Palutena wasn't awkward look and more beautiful than Uprising/SSB4 Palutena) anyway thats not why I'm here. Now, Ive been playing Brawl recently and can't help but wonder why she wasn't playable! When the game came out I was speculating her to join the fray alongside Pit, but didn't.. Why do you guys think she was only playable in the next game?

Burigu

Smash Ace
Hey me again (i'm the guy who thought Brawl Palutena wasn't awkward look and more beautiful than Uprising/SSB4 Palutena) anyway thats not why I'm here. Now, Ive been playing Brawl recently and can't help but wonder why she wasn't playable! When the game came out I was speculating her to join the fray alongside Pit, but didn't.. Why do you guys think she was only playable in the next game?
Hi it is me again the same guy who defended actual Palutena to death last time. (funny since this is my first time in the forum in over a week)

Talking seriously back in the day Kid Icarus was such a niche little and literally forgoten and death franchise, Pit was added as a retro rep like Ice Climbers and Mr Game and Watch, a throw back in Nintendo's history and nothing more.

And like other retro reps Pit was the only one to represent the series.

Remember even with the re design Uprising was close to be a Star Fox game back in the day, we were really fortune to get Uprising and therefore expanding the series lore which was pretty limitated before.

This and femenine equallity in the roster were probably the reasons we got Palutena this time around

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
It probably has to do with the fact that the Kid Icarus franchise was pretty much dead at that point. Kid Icarus Uprising is what pretty much made Palutena (as well as Pit) the characters they are today. Without that game, I doubt we would have seen her in this one.

:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Hi it is me again the same guy who defended actual Palutena to death last time. (funny since this is my first time in the forum in over a week)

Talking seriously back in the day Kid Icarus was such a niche little and literally forgoten and death franchise, Pit was added as a retro rep like Ice Climbers and Mr Game and Watch, a throw back in Nintendo's history and nothing more.

And like other retro reps Pit was the only one to represent the series.

Remember even with the re design Uprising was close to be a Star Fox game back in the day, we were really fortune to get Uprising and therefore expanding the series lore which was pretty limitated before.

This and femenine equallity in the roster were probably the reasons we got Palutena this time around
Haha "actual" palutena hahaha oh that's rich(they're the same person, idc anymore...ok fine I still care)
Anyway, it's no wonder Pit was aligned w/ the retro characters. But I'm really the kind of guy who desires at least 2 reps in a franchise that I like (like sonic). But oh well, we have Palutena now, thank god! Idk what I would do if Palutena was an assist in SSB4.... If dark pit was an assist then eh..
It probably has to do with the fact that the Kid Icarus franchise was pretty much dead at that point. Kid Icarus Uprising is what pretty much made Palutena (as well as Pit) the characters they are today. Without that game, I doubt we would have seen her in this one.

:4greninja:'d
thank god for Sakurai right?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
New to Palutena. Had fun with her and tried her awhile ago. Very fun character, but man oh man is she is so hard to play as, hardest character for me to play as. Have a couple of questions to maybe make it a little less hard:

1. Probably my only question that really matters: How do you deal with roll spammers (or at least when they roll behind you)? Given how laggy both her smashes and tilts are, I find it more difficult to punish rolls with her than I would with another character. Just today a Mario player was driving me crazy with his rolling, even though he was predictable I still didn't know what to do about it.

2. Best way to approach? A video I saw (from Smash and Grab, who's become a little popular on Youtube for Smash 4 tips and tricks) said her Fair is her best pressure tool and can combo into Nair, Jab, or another Fair, but i have a little difficulty landing it because its hitbox looks kinda small to my eyes. But I think I'm just spacing it incorrectly...

3. How to land Uair as a kill move more easily? The same video I saw also says Uair is her best kill move and that Dthrow can lead into it quite easily. I tried that and my opponents just seem to fly too far for them to hit.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
New to Palutena. Had fun with her and tried her awhile ago. Very fun character, but man oh man is she is so hard to play as, hardest character for me to play as. Have a couple of questions to maybe make it a little less hard:

1. Probably my only question that really matters: How do you deal with roll spammers (or at least when they roll behind you)? Given how laggy both her smashes and tilts are, I find it more difficult to punish rolls with her than I would with another character. Just today a Mario player was driving me crazy with his rolling, even though he was predictable I still didn't know what to do about it.

2. Best way to approach? A video I saw (from Smash and Grab, who's become a little popular on Youtube for Smash 4 tips and tricks) said her Fair is her best pressure tool and can combo into Nair, Jab, or another Fair, but i have a little difficulty landing it because its hitbox looks kinda small to my eyes. But I think I'm just spacing it incorrectly...

3. How to land Uair as a kill move more easily? The same video I saw also says Uair is her best kill move and that Dthrow can lead into it quite easily. I tried that and my opponents just seem to fly too far for them to hit.
Note: This is assuming that you are using the default set. Palutena's customs make her an entirely different beast.

1. In the case of annoying rollers, I usually wait for them to make a predictable roll, and then jab them. Seriously, her jab is amazing. It's fast, has good range, and can set up for a grab, dash attack, and even an Fsmash at kill percents in some cases. My suggestion for starting to play Palutena is to practice single jabbing as fast as you can without going into the rapid jab. You will be surprised at how useful it is. Also, you are right about her tilts. If you must use one, go for the Dtilt. It's not nearly as laggy as Ftilt or Utilt.

2. One way that I've found is spacing with Fairs because Fair is safe with its almost non-existent landing lag, and another is rushing into a grab if they start recklessly shielding. If they leave themselves open for a punish, go for a jab > grab > Dthrow > Nair/Uair/Fair, or a jab > Fsmash if they are around 95%. If they are camping, try luring them to coming at you with Auto Reticule, or Reflect if they are a projectile camper. Also, don't forget that her Bair and dash attack have invincibility frames. They will win almost every trade.

3. If your opponent knows how to properly airdodge and vector, this becomes tricky to land and Dthrow > Uair will not work for killing. My advice is to get creative with her aerials and try to bait your opponent into getting hit by the Uair. I've found that Uair wins a decent amount of trades with its disjointed hitbox.

Basically, as you've found, Palutena is a very tricky character. If you are reckless with her, you will get punished very easily. In my experience, you have to be a master at reading and baiting your opponent in order to be good with her. However, I've found that she has a surprising amount of utility. I find her quite fun and rewarding to use.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
Been playing a lot of Palutena since the Wii U version came out. What's the best way to practice Warp Cancels? I can do them fine in training mode for the most part, though my success rate is not 100% but every time I try it in a match I miss and end up dead. I'd like to get it to the point where doing it in second nature but I don't even know a good way of practicing this. Any suggestions?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Hmm... Well here's the levels I consider to do in my works of training:

-Beginner: Practice Warp Cancels in Training Mode by finding the warp position first, and remember them. It'll take time depending on how much you focus on it. You may experiment if you wish and discover other warp spots on other stages. You may practice followups after the Warp Cancel, such as the standard N-air, or quickly jump to U-air or B-air. Study well.

-Intermediate: Now that you know where the Warp spots are now it's time to go a step up and try to perform it while dashing. Time it right to perform your warp cancels. By doing this you'll be able to multitask and do more things, including trick opponents. The 2nd thing to learn if you want is learn to warp cancel while you're in the air. Because Palutena slides a bit after warping depending on how you angle it from the air, if you can time it right with the right positioning, it'll only add to the things you can do, even when recovering. This is risky, but that's what practice is for.

-Advanced: Though you can skip the 2nd level, the harder part is performing it during matches against players. Once you get the hang of it, it can prove useful when mixing it up. One of my favorites is the Warp Cancel to fastfall (or standard) N-air to have a chance to stage spike recovering opponents, but don't do it against every character. That's the thing about research, though. It isn't easy, and even I SD a few times sometimes because of lag or miscalculation. Once you get it down, it'll make things better for a dedicated and tough Palutena in my eyes.

I wouldn't mind showing it off during a Palutena party too if anything to help. Just remember the basics are more important than fancy tricks though. I don't want to have to experience a repeat of my Brawl Pit times, where many only came to me just to learn the generally unnecessary Arrow Looping instead of the basics, which was also part of the reason why I gave up on tutoring.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero

Down-throw can combo into uair. I'm not sure if it's a real combo, but it works about 90% of the time against online people/my friends. I know that down-throw combos into nair and fair (tested in training mode) on some of the cast (Marth was used as the test character).

I get a lot of uairs from reading jumps. When you throw your opponent off (or even just knock them off) the stage, depending on their skill level, they may try to double jump over the stage immediately. This is more likely to happen if you are near them in a threatening position, like if you are close enough to potentially full jump and bair them. Instinctively, players will try to jump over your intercept, and this is when you catch them with double jump uair out of their double jump.

These are the two main ways that I land uairs; personally, I think I've been pretty good at landing them. But I haven't had a chance to play many competitive players yet, since the game only hit the shelves recently, so there haven't been many events.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well Big D won another tournament with non-customs Palutena pretty convincingly.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well Big D won another tournament with non-customs Palutena pretty convincingly.
The Palutena Uprising is growing, and that's making me happy to hear that she's actually getting some attention and actually doing well. Now if only I could find that person and challenge him to Palutena dittos for the wifi. She does need more attention after all.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
Are there videos of him?

anyways here is a recreation of a brawl snapshot of mine

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
I have been really abusing her warp cancels on battlefield for safer landings or doing things like Platform warp to edge > Backair for stagespikes and whatnot.

Has anyone mentioned her ridiculous jab cancels doe O.O

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I have been really abusing her warp cancels on battlefield for safer landings or doing things like Platform warp to edge > Backair for stagespikes and whatnot.

Has anyone mentioned her ridiculous jab cancels doe O.O
Oh, we all know about her brilliant single jab is, though I wish it was even faster. Welcome to the Palutena sanctuary btw.

solidusteve

Smash Rookie
NNID
soustematichaos
Where do I go to learn how to master Palutena?! I keep getting smashed, and even with browsing the forums, I can't seem to figure it out.

Obviously a newbie to smashboards, and to the competitive scene as well. If someone would smash with me and train me, that'd be cool. Or at least point me in the right direction.

I can't even figure out warp or jab cancel ;__;

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Thanks. You'll see me around here alot. I plan on contributing / Discussing quite a bit ^.^
That's what I like to hear. I hope I get to see you in combat sometime, too. Oh, and which Palutena do you use? I'm surely all about the the Pandora colors one (dark blue). Surprisingly, Blue goes well with my Gold Pit.

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
Where do I go to learn how to master Palutena?! I keep getting smashed, and even with browsing the forums, I can't seem to figure it out.

Obviously a newbie to smashboards, and to the competitive scene as well. If someone would smash with me and train me, that'd be cool. Or at least point me in the right direction.

Jab Canceling with Palutena is actually very simple. Its when you do her single Jab (not the entire Rapid jab combo) and after a small delay your able to basically input anything else that you want. It allows you to do things like Jab > Dash attack / Grab / Shorthop Forward Air or even Jab into Jab. Whatever fits the moment

Warp canceling is a bit harder and requires a bit of practice to get the hang of. It is basically when you do a midair warp towards the ledge so that the ending of the warp slides Palutena off the edge so that you don't have any ending recovery from the warp. Its just a really good movement option. There are a few videos that showcase it a little bit. I would link but I cant right now :(

I'm sure someone can tell you better than I can about how to improve. But Practice practice practice!!!!!!!

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... Well here's the levels I consider to do in my works of training:

-Beginner: Practice Warp Cancels in Training Mode by finding the warp position first, and remember them. It'll take time depending on how much you focus on it. You may experiment if you wish and discover other warp spots on other stages. You may practice followups after the Warp Cancel, such as the standard N-air, or quickly jump to U-air or B-air. Study well.

-Intermediate: Now that you know where the Warp spots are now it's time to go a step up and try to perform it while dashing. Time it right to perform your warp cancels. By doing this you'll be able to multitask and do more things, including trick opponents. The 2nd thing to learn if you want is learn to warp cancel while you're in the air. Because Palutena slides a bit after warping depending on how you angle it from the air, if you can time it right with the right positioning, it'll only add to the things you can do, even when recovering. This is risky, but that's what practice is for.

-Advanced: Though you can skip the 2nd level, the harder part is performing it during matches against players. Once you get the hang of it, it can prove useful when mixing it up. One of my favorites is the Warp Cancel to fastfall (or standard) N-air to have a chance to stage spike recovering opponents, but don't do it against every character. That's the thing about research, though. It isn't easy, and even I SD a few times sometimes because of lag or miscalculation. Once you get it down, it'll make things better for a dedicated and tough Palutena in my eyes.

I wouldn't mind showing it off during a Palutena party too if anything to help. Just remember the basics are more important than fancy tricks though. I don't want to have to experience a repeat of my Brawl Pit times, where many only came to me just to learn the generally unnecessary Arrow Looping instead of the basics, which was also part of the reason why I gave up on tutoring.
Thanks! And don't worry, I and most others here know the basics are important. I'm only asking cause I've been using Jump Glide and neglecting Warp recently. And the utility or zipping to the edge to edge guard seems a lot more practically useful than what Jump Glide offers (especially since Super Speed can do most of what JG can.)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Thanks! And don't worry, I and most others here know the basics are important. I'm only asking cause I've been using Jump Glide and neglecting Warp recently. And the utility or zipping to the edge to edge guard seems a lot more practically useful than what Jump Glide offers (especially since Super Speed can do most of what JG can.)
I'll definitely have a look at what you can do when the time comes. Keep up the good confidence.

Cheezy23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cheezy23

Palutena's d-throw has a lot of potential, if you haven't already used it to death XD

Basically, whenever I play Palutena, I grab...a lot. Like, it's probably unhealthy how much I grab with her. Point being, d-throw into either u-air or n-air is really viable. People can get out of it, especially at high percents, but early game it's really easy to rack up damage with. Take note of the weight of your opponent, because that should help you decide which to use, because sometimes they'll be too heavy for ___ move.

Also, if you're up against someone with a projectile, reflect, reflect, reflect. Don't spam it, it's really easy to get carried away, but if you're far away, it isn't very punishable.

Hope that helps a little bit!

solidusteve

Smash Rookie
NNID
soustematichaos
Jab Canceling with Palutena is actually very simple. Its when you do her single Jab (not the entire Rapid jab combo) and after a small delay your able to basically input anything else that you want. It allows you to do things like Jab > Dash attack / Grab / Shorthop Forward Air or even Jab into Jab. Whatever fits the moment

Warp canceling is a bit harder and requires a bit of practice to get the hang of. It is basically when you do a midair warp towards the ledge so that the ending of the warp slides Palutena off the edge so that you don't have any ending recovery from the warp. Its just a really good movement option. There are a few videos that showcase it a little bit. I would link but I cant right now :(

I'm sure someone can tell you better than I can about how to improve. But Practice practice practice!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, they typically shield or roll out of my jabs in that brief pause before I try to grab or whatever. Am I too slow?

Could we fight a few matches, so I see how it's done..?

solidusteve

Smash Rookie
NNID
soustematichaos

And practice only goes so far lol. I'm not sure if I'm even playing effectively, and then I just get destroyed and.. Well..

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I'm a fan of Palette 8, The Dark Purple outfit.

Ready to level up my gameplay this Sunday in Georgia though, if possible I'd like to get some matches recorded for the sake of critique.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
IMO:

S: Medusa
A: Viridi, default
B: Pandora, black
C: r/b/g pastels

Also suddenly neighbors everywhere, hi neighbors.

Palutena seems like a really good option for the Classic 9.0 no-death challenge. Maybe take Counter over Lightweight since your mobility is already boosted via equipment? I stuck with Lightweight but Counter could help in 5+ player matches (these are really dumb in Classic, especially when you end up on say, Onett or Castle Siege with 6 people) and counters are always good for the final round. One of the few times they're actually really good. She has no trouble with Master Fortress.

Relying so heavily on her jab1 still feels a little weird. Blame a decade+ of Marth play :p I might go on a Palutena/Ike binge for a bit.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I prefer Default Palutena specials for high Classic levels. My only questionable quarrels is either use Counter to help kill the hands faster, or Fireworks to kill those cheating CPUs faster, in which the latter is a greater threat to me. I probably just need stronger equipment. The one I got now has one of each of the 3 equipment types, with the attack one equipping me with a Lip's Stick, which actually isn't a bad weapon.

I can't decide if I need 2 armor with 1 attack, 2 attack and 1 armor, and what little ability as well, like auto-heal or what. I know I have a lot of useful stuff on my 3ds. The only problem I mainly have with lower speed is that your jumps are weaker, too.

Top Bottom