• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Minnesota Thread

GodOfSocks

Smash Journeyman
..And suddenly, I have motivation to get my license..
This is actually really exciting, because I'm sick of CPUs and want to actually get better at PM.

Last edited:

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
@eMeFDee
What's up my brotha? Let's smash soon.

to everyone else: I love being a part of the MN smash community. Anyone interested in some 3DS online matches?

Krugy

Smash Cadet
I am a person that lives in F/M and plays Smash. I'm back for smash4 after a few years of Street Fighter. Any of you yankees go to the MSUM or NDSU weeklies?

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
(Major Announcements regarding $1100 pot bonus tournament)

First Off, Roll Tier X4 is THIS SATURDAY. You no longer must pre-register to sign up (Yes, you may now register at the door!!!!!!!!!!!), but the fun starts on Friday with our set up party ran by the Velvet Room, bringing the Smash Chateau to Bellevue.

Friday starting at 7 (possibly earlier) with casuals, money matches on stream and maybe some competition as well. Please bring your TV and Set ups on Friday!

Also Friday is your last chance to be guaranteed a spot in our free single elim. Sm4sh tournament with $70 to 1st and $30 to 2nd. Registration for all events will be open Friday Night as well.

If you are coming from out of state and you haven't pre-registered please let me know asap, or please call me if you are running late, we are going to follow our schedule as much as possible!

If you are local and you can house, please let me know asap.

Also, if you aren't local and need housing, please let me know asap.

Currently we are planning on having people from North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Georgia, "Wherever the hell M2K damn well pleases", with possible people from Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado gracing us in Nebraska, making this possibly the largest gathering of midwest west players in the history of mankind.

-Facebook for rtx4 https://www.facebook.com/events/334665033369521/?ref=29&ref_notif_type=plan_user_joined&source=1

Smashboards for RTX4 http://smashboards.com/threads/oct-...bonus-pm-melee-free-sm4sh-bellevue-ne.363291/

Pre-Register https://www.payitsquare.com/collect-page/42457

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
For those of you who can' make it to @ MegaRobMan MegaRobMan 's tournament...Upcoming Minnesota tournaments: ***Asterisk indicates tournaments that are likely to be high in attendance.

Thursday 10-9: Project M tournament at Gamerheadz in Southdale Mall in Edina. Starts at around 5 or 5:30 PM, with warm-ups likely happening beforehand.

Friday 10-10: SSB64 & Brawl at Games N' Go in Rosedale Mall in Rosevilla. Registration opens at 4 PM.

***Saturday 10-11: Weekly U of M Tournament at the Coffman Memorial Union. Melee/PM (3DS friendlies basically guaranteed). Listed as 4-9 PM, unsure of time specifics. www.facebook.com/events/920270964668218/

Thursday 10-16: There will probably be a melee tournament at Gamerheadz, but no guarantee.

***Saturday 10-18: Melee (singles & doubles) tournament at Level Up Games in South St. Paul. Registration starts at 10 AM and ends at 10:30.

Hoping to see some of you guys at some of these!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
IT HAS BEGUN!!!!! This Saturday, October 18th in Bellevue, NE.

At the same great, spacious venue as Roll Tier X4, 70MGame, featuring the RTx4 staff and free pizza from Little Caesars. Last weekend we had 100+ for RTx4, let's keep it coming for Nebraska's first open Sm4sh tournaments, along with 64/Brawl singles and doubles.

ALSO THERE WILL BE A DDR TOURNAMENT AS WELL!!!!

http://smashboards.com/threads/oct-...-first-open-sm4sh-tourney-bellevue-ne.363298/

Facebook Thread-https://www.facebook.com/events/1453310801604341/

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
***asterisks indicate tournaments with a large expected turnout.

Previous Tournament Turnouts:

Gamerheadz Project M:
10 entrants
Games N Go SSB64: 3 entrants
Games N Go Brawl: 7 entrants
***U of Smash Weekly Melee: 49 entrants
***U of Smash Weekly Project M: 34 entrants.

Upcoming Tournaments: www.facebook.com/groups/MNSmash/events/
Thursday 10-16: Melee Singles @ Gamerheadz in Southdale Mall in Edina. Starts at 5:30 PM. $4 entry, $2 venue.
*Expecting 10-15 entrants at the moment, capping at 24.

***Saturday 10-18: Melee Singles & Teams @ Level Up Games in [the city of] South St. Paul. Starts at 10 AM. $5 entry per event, $5 venue one time.
*Capping at 40 entrants, currently in the low-mid 30 entrants pre-registered, with spots filling up.

Saturday 10-18: SSB4 3DS @ University of Minnesota Coffman Memorial Union. Starts at 4 PM. $5 entry.

Thursday 10-23: Gamerheadz Project M tournament is likely but unconfirmed.

Friday 10-24: SSB4 3DS @ Games n Go in Rosedale Center in Roseville. Starts at 4 PM. $5 entry, $2 venue.

Saturday 10-25: Melee Singles & Teams @ University of Minnesota Coffman Memorial Union. Starts at 4 PM. $5 entry per event.

Hoping to see some of you at some of these!

dernl

Smash Rookie
@ Annex Annex SSB64/Melee Player here, but I only play 64 on emulator haha. I don't have an actual Nintendo 64 unfortunately. I've been playing this game pretty casually until recently.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Gamerheadz Melee (10-16-2014):
16 entrants
U of Smash Weekly SSB3DS (10-18-2014): 13 entrants
***SLUG 5 Melee: 32 entrants
Gamerheadz Project M (10-23-2014): 13 entrants
Games N Go SSB3DS (10-24-2014): 21 entrants
U of Smash Weekly Melee (10-25-2014): 32 entrants

Upcoming Tournaments: www.facebook.com/groups/MNSmash/permalink/747366095319838/
Thursday 10-30: Melee Singles @ Gamerheadz in Southdale Mall in Edina. Starts at 5:30 PM. $4 entry, $2 venue.

Friday 10-31:
SSB4 3DS @ MetaCon in Minneapolis. Sign ups close at 6:30 PM (have to already be at MetaCon I think).

Saturday 11-01: Project M @ University of Minnesota Coffman Memorial Union. Starts at 4 PM. $5 entry.

--Saturday 11-01: Melee @ MetaCon in Minneapolis. Same as MetaCon tournament above.

Sunday 11-02: Smash Den 4 (SSB64, Melee, Project M, SSB3DS) @ Monster Den in Minneapolis. Registrations begin at noon. $5 venue, $5 per event entered.

Thursday 11-06: Gamerheadz Project M tournament is likely but unconfirmed.

***Saturday 11-08: U of Smash Monthly (Melee, Project M, SSB3DS) @ University of Minnesota Coffman Memorial Union. Starts at 11 AM. $10 venue ($5 with preregistration) $10 entry per event.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
@ dernl dernl Well I've got one and plenty of good controllers, so if you ever want to try console shoot me a pm
@ Annex Annex SSB64/Melee Player here, but I only play 64 on emulator haha. I don't have an actual Nintendo 64 unfortunately. I've been playing this game pretty casually until recently.
SSB64 & Melee tournament at Monster Den in Minneapolis on Sunday, November 2nd.

Any announcements for Warehouse 3?
We'll know When's Warehouse right after we figure out When's Marvel.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
This got moved to Saturday the 22nd. Know why they're doing single elim by chance?
For time. We ran a double elimination Brawl tournament back in june and it took 7 hours to finish with 42 participants. We are assuming we will have more than 40, or about that many for the Smash 4 tournament and the venue closes at 9pm. With the advanced tournament starting at 3pm. For the sake of time we did Single.

Beefos

Smash Rookie
For time. We ran a double elimination Brawl tournament back in june and it took 7 hours to finish with 42 participants. We are assuming we will have more than 40, or about that many for the Smash 4 tournament and the venue closes at 9pm. With the advanced tournament starting at 3pm. For the sake of time we did Single.
Just out of curiosity how many setups did you have at that tournament? I'm planning on attending the Wii U Launch Day tournament and the fact that it is single elim really bothers me. Especially if you are using the For Glory ruleset of 2 stocks with a 6 minute time limit. Having played that ruleset with a friend quite a bit those matches go insanely fast, even if you're doing best 2/3. Smash 4 is also a much faster paced game than Brawl; not Melee fast, but faster than Brawl for sure especially at 2 stocks.

I also feel that single elim is a bit unfair to the tournament entrants especially with some nice prizes for a local Fargo tournament. It doesn't really give a player much time to adapt to their opponent. Considering that it will be a completely new game to those who have not played the 3DS version much, I really see situations of people getting easily upset at someone doing a very lame strat and the other player not having time with 2 stocks to figure out how to get around it. And at single elimination it'll probably lead to a lot of unhappy players who may be saying "well I couldn't get around something I had no idea about" or "I made a mistake in one match and lost". Without a lower bracket its going to lead to a lot of salty players I think and it could also hurt your name as a TO.

As someone who watched the Fargo Brawl scene die out, I was completely floored that you and your group held a Brawl tournament this summer and had the turnout you did. I just feel personally, if you're only doing single elim for the advanced bracket because of being worried about time, that it is a bad decision. Maybe, if it is at all possible, try to start the event a little earlier if you are that worried. Starting now with a regular, double elim tournament for Smash 4 I feel would be in the best interest in fostering a competitive community for the game in Fargo.

Sorry for the wall of text. Either way I will be attending and wish only the bests. I hope you read my post and think about making the change from single to double elim.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I am thrilled to see this thread. I am moving to Blaine in a few short weeks and would love to partake in tourneys or just for fun.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Just out of curiosity how many setups did you have at that tournament? I'm planning on attending the Wii U Launch Day tournament and the fact that it is single elim really bothers me. Especially if you are using the For Glory ruleset of 2 stocks with a 6 minute time limit. Having played that ruleset with a friend quite a bit those matches go insanely fast, even if you're doing best 2/3. Smash 4 is also a much faster paced game than Brawl; not Melee fast, but faster than Brawl for sure especially at 2 stocks.

I also feel that single elim is a bit unfair to the tournament entrants especially with some nice prizes for a local Fargo tournament. It doesn't really give a player much time to adapt to their opponent. Considering that it will be a completely new game to those who have not played the 3DS version much, I really see situations of people getting easily upset at someone doing a very lame strat and the other player not having time with 2 stocks to figure out how to get around it. And at single elimination it'll probably lead to a lot of unhappy players who may be saying "well I couldn't get around something I had no idea about" or "I made a mistake in one match and lost". Without a lower bracket its going to lead to a lot of salty players I think and it could also hurt your name as a TO.

As someone who watched the Fargo Brawl scene die out, I was completely floored that you and your group held a Brawl tournament this summer and had the turnout you did. I just feel personally, if you're only doing single elim for the advanced bracket because of being worried about time, that it is a bad decision. Maybe, if it is at all possible, try to start the event a little earlier if you are that worried. Starting now with a regular, double elim tournament for Smash 4 I feel would be in the best interest in fostering a competitive community for the game in Fargo.

Sorry for the wall of text. Either way I will be attending and wish only the bests. I hope you read my post and think about making the change from single to double elim.
Hmm this is really well thought out and certainly gives me more to think about. You're not the only person who has spoken up about a couple things we are considering. Which I really appreciate! Its the feedback of our participants like you that help us make decisions. I'll take a look at what we are doing and speak to my staff a bit about making the Advanced Bracket Double Elimination at least. We are currently in the process of finalizing a list of Counter Picks so people are not forced into Omega Mode only stages. If anything gets updated, I'll of course update the event page and this as well.

Thank you again for your feedback!

edi: Sorry I didn't even answer your original question. We only had 4 set ups, which is what we are probably looking at for this as well.

Last edited:

Krugy

Smash Cadet
We are currently in the process of finalizing a list of Counter Picks so people are not forced into Omega Mode only stages.
Refer to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz96eSYdFvc

But really, since 3DS and WiiU have different stages I think it's fine to leave Omegas only for a launch tournament or other obvious neutrals. Smashville, Battlefield, Yoshi's, etc.

And thank you for reconsidering double elim. I will bring my Wii U (and TV?) to help things go faster.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Refer to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz96eSYdFvc

But really, since 3DS and WiiU have different stages I think it's fine to leave Omegas only for a launch tournament or other obvious neutrals. Smashville, Battlefield, Yoshi's, etc.

And thank you for reconsidering double elim. I will bring my Wii U (and TV?) to help things go faster.
I was actually able to get everyone on board with this idea. So when I get home later tonight, or tomorrow, I am going to update everything to reflect that Advanced Bracket will indeed be double elimination. While we won't specifically know what stages will be allowed at counter picks we are going to heavily be playing, and streaming, the Wii U version on 11/21 and at the end of the day we are going to decide what stages we allow for counter picks. Since the Wii U and 3DS will have seperate stages.

Beefos

Smash Rookie
I was actually able to get everyone on board with this idea. So when I get home later tonight, or tomorrow, I am going to update everything to reflect that Advanced Bracket will indeed be double elimination. While we won't specifically know what stages will be allowed at counter picks we are going to heavily be playing, and streaming, the Wii U version on 11/21 and at the end of the day we are going to decide what stages we allow for counter picks. Since the Wii U and 3DS will have seperate stages.
I'm really glad you thought it over and decided to go with double elimination for the Advanced Bracket at this event. Thank you for taking the time to read my wall of text. The tournament will take a little longer but I really do feel it'll give the best experience to the players. Also, I do not know if it is possible, but if you are able to get some copies of Smash 4 from the venue you're hosting at to use for the event, I'd gladly bring my WiiU and a TV for an additional setup to help out. I just won't have a copy of the game at that time.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
I'm really glad you thought it over and decided to go with double elimination for the Advanced Bracket at this event. Thank you for taking the time to read my wall of text. The tournament will take a little longer but I really do feel it'll give the best experience to the players. Also, I do not know if it is possible, but if you are able to get some copies of Smash 4 from the venue you're hosting at to use for the event, I'd gladly bring my WiiU and a TV for an additional setup to help out. I just won't have a copy of the game at that time.
This may be possible, but don't quote me on it.

Doomedo

Smash Rookie
Keep in mind when you select tourney-legal stages that you should be choosing from the already unlocked stages or the ones that are really easy to unlock, as you can't really expect everyone who brings a set up to have everything unlocked.

Same thing might apply to hidden characters, but I don't know how you want to approach that aspect.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind when you select tourney-legal stages that you should be choosing from the already unlocked stages or the ones that are really easy to unlock, as you can't really expect everyone who brings a set up to have everything unlocked.

Same thing might apply to hidden characters, but I don't know how you want to approach that aspect.
Its mentioned in the thread for the tourney. Any character that becomes unlocked during the tournament is fair game on a set up to set up basis and we leaved a disclaimer saying all stations may not have all characters unlocked and you may not change set up/stations because of that.

And the same will be applied for the stages on a set up to set up basis. We are going to make legal/banned list based on what is available by the end of the day. In general we have it taken care of.

joel17

Smash Rookie
Anyone within an hour radius of Brainerd? Wanting to find some people to play some Melee. I'm not bad but I'm not good either. Would be cool to find someone to practice with.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Gamerheadz Melee (10-30-2014):
12 entrants
MetaCon SSB4 3DS (10-31-2014): 24 entrants?
MetaCon Melee (11-01-2014): I don't know.
U of M Weekly Project M (11-01-2014): I don't know.
Smash Den 4 (11-02-2014): Postponed until 11-23-2014
Gamerheadz Project M (11-06-2014): 12 entrants
Games N Go Melee (11-07-2014): 15 entrants
U of Smash SSB3DS: (11-08-2014): 16? entrants
***U of Smash Project M: (11-08-2014) ~40 entrants
***U of Smash Melee: (11-08-2014) 50+ entrants

Upcoming Tournaments: www.facebook.com/groups/MNSmash/permalink/747366095319838/
Thursday 11-13: Melee Singles @ Gamerheadz in Southdale Mall in Edina. Starts at 5:30 PM. $4 entry, $2 venue.

Friday 11-14: *UMN STUDENTS ONLY* Melee LAN Party @ Kenneth H. Keller Hall. Starts at 8 PM.

Saturday 11-15: (Miis with equipment SSB3DS ; B/F Tier Melee) @ University of Minnesota Coffman Memorial Union. Starts at 4 PM.

Saturday 11-15: The Duluth Open. Melee at UMD (includes hearthstone, LoL, Mario Kart 8, etc.) $10 venue, $5 entry fee

Saturday 11-15: Melee @ We Got Game in Mankato. Registration starts at 4PM.

Thursday 11-06: Gamerheadz Porject M tournament possible but unconfirmed.

Saturday 11-22: Fargo/Moorhead tournament. Idk the details but host is posting in this thread.

Sunday 11-23: Smash Den 4 (SSB64, Melee, Project M, SSB3DS) @ Monster Den in Minneapolis. Registrations begin at noon. $5 venue, $5 per event entered.

Last edited:

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Gamerheadz Melee (10-30-2014):
12 entrants
MetaCon SSB4 3DS (10-31-2014): 24 entrants?
MetaCon Melee (11-01-2014): I don't know.
U of M Weekly Project M (11-01-2014): I don't know.
Smash Den 4 (11-02-2014): Postponed until 11-23-2014
Gamerheadz Project M (11-06-2014): 12 entrants
Games N Go Melee (11-07-2014): 15 entrants
U of Smash SSB3DS: (11-08-2014): 16? entrants
***U of Smash Project M: (11-08-2014) ~40 entrants
***U of Smash Melee: (11-08-2014) 50+ entrants

Thursday 11-13: Melee Singles @ Gamerheadz in Southdale Mall in Edina. Starts at 5:30 PM. $4 entry, $2 venue.

Friday 11-14: *UMN STUDENTS ONLY* Melee LAN Party @ Kenneth H. Keller Hall. Starts at 8 PM.

Saturday 11-15: (Miis with equipment SSB3DS ; B/F Tier Melee) @ University of Minnesota Coffman Memorial Union. Starts at 4 PM.

Saturday 11-15: The Duluth Open. Melee at UMD (includes hearthstone, LoL, Mario Kart 8, etc.) $10 venue, $5 entry fee

Saturday 11-15: Melee @ We Got Game in Mankato. Registration starts at 4PM.

Thursday 11-06: Gamerheadz Porject M tournament possible but unconfirmed.

Saturday 11-22: Fargo/Moorhead tournament. Idk the details but host is posting in this thread.

Sunday 11-23: Smash Den 4 (SSB64, Melee, Project M, SSB3DS) @ Monster Den in Minneapolis. Registrations begin at noon. $5 venue, $5 per event entered.

Details are here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/nov-22-2014-smash-4-wii-u-launch-tournament-fargo-nd.374523/
and here
https://www.facebook.com/events/798613346847614/

Last edited:

Doomedo

Smash Rookie
Just to update everyone.

If you're a student at UMN, there's a Melee tourney we're TO'ing at Keller Hall at 8 PM.

And the tournament on Coffman on Saturday (open to everyone) is now all characters allowed with equipment and not just miis.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Hey, everyone. I used to play Smash and am getting back into it for the Wii U. Hope to see some events happening somewhere close. Live in Bloomington, south of Minneapolis.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Hey, everyone. I used to play Smash and am getting back into it for the Wii U. Hope to see some events happening somewhere close. Live in Bloomington, south of Minneapolis.
There is a lot that goes down in that area. My advise is join the facebook group for all the local events. They do stuff weekly.

$k!nNyF@t

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkinnyFatkid2436
3DS FC
2466-2970-3940
There is one in bloomington southdale mall the store is called gamerheadz tuesdays and wednesdays are friendlies, and the ones on thursdays are tournament days. they usually start at 3:00pm for warm ups, and 5:00 are the tournaments. $6 entry fee. tomorrow is project m. but each week it alternates between PM and melee

Last edited:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
There is one in bloomington southdale mall the store is called gamerheadz tuesdays and wednesdays are friendlies, and the ones on thursdays are tournament days. they usually start at 3:00pm for warm ups, and 5:00 are the tournaments. $6 entry fee. tomorrow is project m. but each week it alternates between PM and melee
Are they doing the new Smash yet?

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Are they doing the new Smash yet?
Wednesday friendlies don't happen anymore. Tournaments start at 6 PM on Thursdays to accommodate peoples' work schedules. Technically in Edina, not Bloomington.

I know no news of Smash 4, but the biggest issue with that is how expensive set-ups are. Someone would have to talk to Kordell about this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom